How to host a dedicated server on windows 10 ark?

How to host a dedicated server on windows 10 ark?

I been trying to host a dedicated server on my computer from the windows 10 ark so me and my friends that wants to play together can on the xbox, so here's my questions what do I need to host a dedicated server on windows 10 ark? Is there ports that I need if so what are they? Do I need an open nat type to host a server on windows 10? Do I need an account with gold or can it work with a none gold account to host the server?

ok thank you for that. Last question is my server suppose to show up in the unofficial pc server list or not cuz there was one video where this guy has his show up in the list so I start the server on the pc then I got on the xbox to see if it shows up in the list so that way if I want to I can make a server for people to join in on and nothing doesn't show up after I search for the name?

On 6/1/2019 at 2:01 AM, LORDARUCARD1 said:

So I take it the issues is the join fail then that the Devs haven't fix or is that just me then?

Most likely just you. Check your nat in the xbox on PC under settings, make sure it shows open. I am able to host windows store version with the issues I already stated above though. Also make sure you are xbox friends with anyone trying to join your server, that is the only way they can join. 

• 5 months later...

I've been having the same issues.  My family and I love this game. 

originally we dealt with the tethering, but playing with 4 people it gets a bit ridiculous.  So I went out and bought another Xbox to act as a server, I did the family share thing with that second Xbox so I didn't have to purchase another game or Xbox live Gold subscription.  It worked great until one of my dogs ripped out the HDMI cable from the server Xbox and tore out the HDMI port.   

So I thought I would use my gaming PC to hopefully host as a server for myself and family again.  Sadly, I can't quite figure out what the problem is.  I can host a game with my Xbox and connect my PC and my families Xboxs to it, but I cannot start a server with the gaming PC as no one can connect their Xbox's to it.  I know I could just play on the PC but, I would rather stay on my Xbox.

Hopefully, someone can figure this out and share what the problem is.  Right now it appears, I'll be purchasing another damn Xbox to be the server. 

On 11/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, Mustard32 said:

I've been having the same issues.  My family and I love this game. 

originally we dealt with the tethering, but playing with 4 people it gets a bit ridiculous.  So I went out and bought another Xbox to act as a server, I did the family share thing with that second Xbox so I didn't have to purchase another game or Xbox live Gold subscription.  It worked great until one of my dogs ripped out the HDMI cable from the server Xbox and tore out the HDMI port.   

So I thought I would use my gaming PC to hopefully host as a server for myself and family again.  Sadly, I can't quite figure out what the problem is.  I can host a game with my Xbox and connect my PC and my families Xboxs to it, but I cannot start a server with the gaming PC as no one can connect their Xbox's to it.  I know I could just play on the PC but, I would rather stay on my Xbox.

Hopefully, someone can figure this out and share what the problem is.  Right now it appears, I'll be purchasing another damn Xbox to be the server. 

So just as an update, I thought perhaps that my second account needed its own copy of the game purchased for it, so I did just that.  The second account on my PC is still unable to host a game for my families Xboxs.  I decided to bite the bullet and just play on my PC for now.  I'll keep trying to figure out the issue and will update with anymore attempts and the outcome. 

11/27/19 Update:  Just FYI, in work around to get the second account to run a server without purchasing Xbox Live (XBL) while playing on the PC.  The steps are...      

1. Log into your main account on Xbox.

2. Log into the second non gold account on your Xbox (Yes, both accounts will be logged in at the same time.  The second account needs  your primary Gold account's access in order to start the server). 

3. Setup and Run the server.  Wait until the server has completely loaded before continuing on to the next step.

4. Go to your Xbox Companion app on your PC and log into your primary Gold account. (This will end up logging you back into your Xbox if you skip this step.  It will not allow you to play on both machines while logged into both your PC and Xbox.)

5.  Log out of the primary  XBL Gold account on your Xbox.

6. Start ARK on your PC.

7. Select your primary XBL Gold account.

8. Join your second accounts game server.

Update 12/28/19

If the Xbox is automatically logging you in when you go into the Xbox companion app, you can turn off this automatic connect feature by,

1. Logging into the Xbox Companion App.

2. Look down the left side of the screen and find the "Connection" Tab and select it.

3. Once you open that window select "More" on the top of the screen.

4. Uncheck the box to automatically connect to your Xbox .

This will help you not get the "This game is already being played on another device..." message.  
Which will cause the game server to close and you'll be stuck in the viscous circle of frustration and having to restart the whole process again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, Juggernaut said:

You only need a silver account to play the game and host. You use your gold account to sign into the windows 10 store version, download the game (you don't have to buy it since you bought it already). Sign into the windows xbox app with your silver account, launch the game, and host it. 

I have read that several times and unfortunately, I was never able to do this with just a silver account.  

I attempted to run a server from my PC, but none of the Xboxes were able to connect to the PCs server. 

So, my only option was to use my Xbox as the server and continue to play from my PC.  If  I try to only use a Xbox Silver account and host a server from an Xbox,  it will never allow me to start the server.  As soon as I click "Run Dedicated Server", the game will automatically disconnect me from ARK and send me to the Xbox Dashboard and prompt me to pay for an Xbox Live Gold account.  It will not allow me to host a dedicated server from a Xbox Silver account on my Xbox.  The directions I gave above is what I have to do to make running a server possible.  

ARK has proven to be loaded with bugs since the very beginning of its launch and continues to have bugs even today.  What may work for someone, may not necessarily work for another.   

I have had a dedicated server on my PC for ARK and play with my brother on our XBOX's for about a year, so its been a while but I will try and help you out.  

On your PC, login to the Microsoft Store using your Xbox Gold acct you purchased the game.  This account will be the one you play with on your XBox.  

Download and install ARK and any DLC you need. 

You will also need the XBox Game Bar app.  I believe it comes pre-installed on Windows 10. 

Open the Xbox Game Bar app (you should be able to find it in your search bar) and login to Xbox using your silver account.  This account will be the one you will HOST the server with and not the account you play with.  This account will be the one used by your friends to join your server.  You will need to send them friend invites via the XBox Game bar.  

Load Ark and at the Start screen in the top right corner your will either see "Not Signed In" or your Silver account name.  Click "START" on the screen. If your Silver account was not listed on the top right, then you should see it listed right before you enter the main menu for ARK.  

Click on HOST \ LOCAL, change your settings, pick your map, etc and then click "RUN DEDICATED SERVER".  You will be prompted for a Server Password, Admin Password, and Session Name.  The passwords you should change, but  the Session Name can stay the default. Click "Accept"

Ark will load and then it will display a "Dedicated Server" menu which should show the connected players.  The player connected should be your silver account.  

Now, on your Xbox, go to your friend's list and find the silver account (or accept the friend invite if you haven't) and Join the player's game.  You will load right into your server. 

If you need to reboot the PC or restart the ARK server, all users need to be logged out so only your silver account shows as connected.  Click on "Return to Main Menu".  This will properly shut it down so you don't lose any progress.  

Good Luck and hope it works for you.  

Archived