Jump to content

Building a raft base questions


Trogdor

Recommended Posts

I plan to do this when I decide to get set up on a primitive pvp server. But right now I don't have experience with official/always on servers, however I have heard that rafts can have a tendency to drift or something while you're offline, so you should build a 1x1x1 room to lock yourself in when you log off.

There are a few building tricks when it comes to rafts and platform saddles. I have a video for one, but the first I can easily explain:
Normally you can only fit 9 foundations on a raft (technically 8 to leave room for the helm), but there is a way to snap more foundations outwards over the water. Simply snap a ceiling to the foundation, then snap another foundation under the ceiling, then demolish the ceiling. Simple as that.

Now here is the trickier building exploit which is better explained through a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZ3UBBm0ec
I used this method to work out a raft design that is fully enclosed and armored on the bottom.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run several raft bases on PVP. It's possible to run as raft only, but you really need a good static spawn point for worst case scenarios. My advice would be to use a combination of raft and undersea cave bases. You can use the raft until you get sophisticated enough to work on an undersea cave. Once the tek tier goes live, I'll be using underwater and sea based tactics as my main method of PVP.

47 minutes ago, SanguisDiabolus said:

I have heard that rafts can have a tendency to drift or something while you're offline, so you should build a 1x1x1 room to lock yourself in when you log off.

I've never had this issue, but I haven't been playing as long as a lot of people on here. (I only started in December.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spottswoode said:

I run several raft bases on PVP. It's possible to run as raft only, but you really need a good static spawn point for worst case scenarios. My advice would be to use a combination of raft and undersea cave bases. You can use the raft until you get sophisticated enough to work on an undersea cave. Once the tek tier goes live, I'll be using underwater and sea based tactics as my main method of PVP.

I've never had this issue, but I haven't been playing as long as a lot of people on here. (I only started in December.)

Hehe, I too have the same aspirations about tek tier.
And I only said what I did about the drifting because I have heard it mentioned in youtube videos. I haven't experienced it myself either but I have heard of people having issues with it. It's more likely lag than an actual drift mechanic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SanguisDiabolus said:

I plan to do this when I decide to get set up on a primitive pvp server. But right now I don't have experience with official/always on servers, however I have heard that rafts can have a tendency to drift or something while you're offline, so you should build a 1x1x1 room to lock yourself in when you log off.

There are a few building tricks when it comes to rafts and platform saddles. I have a video for one, but the first I can easily explain:
Normally you can only fit 9 foundations on a raft (technically 8 to leave room for the helm), but there is a way to snap more foundations outwards over the water. Simply snap a ceiling to the foundation, then snap another foundation under the ceiling, then demolish the ceiling. Simple as that.

Now here is the trickier building exploit which is better explained through a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZ3UBBm0ec
I used this method to work out a raft design that is fully enclosed and armored on the bottom.

Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Raft base = best base for PvP, it's hard to kill hard to find mobile so you can farm tons of resources for other bases and I've survived several base wipes and the metal raft "Nautilus" is the only thing of our Tribe that has survived several major attacks including direct attacks by alphas.

You won't get more bang for your buck.

Costs about 1,500 metal to build a 3x3x2 raft which is more than you need for everything.

I have room for everything including fabricator and generator, 2 beds...

Here's how much I packed onto a single foundation lol:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=636247941

 

Needed two beds because sometimes in remote areas you need to respawn a couple times to get your stuff back...or you need that spawn to sneak into your raft and make an escape.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...