Primitive +- RP/pvp server concept

This is my first post on this forum and as such it is probably tagged/titled poorly and in the wrong place. If thats the case, my apologies.

I've had a love/hate relationship with ark that I'm sure is familiar to most of you. I've played on and off since shortly after PS4 launch, and I and my friends have had a hell of a time getting a foothold in any of the servers we've played on. Wiped repeatedly before we could ever get to the point of serious productiveness. Being forced into the Guerrilla playstyle was fun, for a while. Even being griefed repeatedly this game provided me with many a heart pounding moment, and i still love what is possible in this game.

Just to save some of you time, this project is not intended to appeal to nor appease trolls, especially Alpha trolls, nihilists, others whose main goal is to aggressively raid, or those who want to keep folks down so that they can enjoy flying an ironman suit side strafing novices on the beach with photon torpedoes. I understand "its pvp lol" and feel free to induce buyers remorse in new players in order to harvest their pain and rage to feed the ponzi scheme that Official Ark servers seem to be. This server will not be oriented in a way that promotes any of this behavior.

What I'd like to propose is a concept for a server that i will rent come the "29th" where the rules will be tweaked heavily to promote an Ark experience thats is geared toward Role playing, Cooperation, Building, etc. The combat will be primarily in "the wildy" and engrams and tames will be limited in order to produce more satisfying combat which relies on skills and tactics. Any and all advantages will be given to the defender over the attacker. However, there will be no active defenses. There will also be no flying tames and limited options for siege dinos. This will add more consequence to would be wrongdoers (and everybody else) by the simple fact that your going to have to trek where you want to go, not simply land in or on someones base, or eat through it easily with a giga. Obviously this cannot happen based on rules alone and therefore I am seeking Survivors who are mature, reasonable and wanting to participate.

This is the type of server environment I have in mind. 

ORGANIZATION and LAW

A primitive plus Medi-eval era ark, where weapons technology peaks at bows, perhaps a flintlock pistol. A quadrant "or less" of the map will be run by an Alliance of specialized tribes who all participate in the collective defense and progress of all tribes allied with the "Commonwealth, Republic, Empire??". This quadrant will be regulated by the Alliance, and will be effectively a PVE area, with the law of common decency enforced. All law abiding citizens will be given access to a small homesteading plot and access to the markets and basic public works and amenities. All citizens will be given and required to maintain a militiamans chest on his property, containing a full set of gear to use in the event of an attack. The collective defense and respect between Alliance tribes will be enforced by a double edged sword. This will lie partly in the fact that all Alliance tribes will be initially and primarily based in a city where a wall with defensive weapons owned by the Alpha encompasses the entirety of the main city "lets call it Refuge City". Within this wall will be multiple walled areas of similar size within which Alliance tribes can build their primary bases. These will all be interconnected with by paths between the separate tribes sovereign areas and public areas. The number of dinos and potential offensive weapons will have to be limited to an equal amount between tribes, in order to ensure that in the event of an insurrection the majority of Alliance members can defeat the rogue tribe. All tribes will have to contribute with mats to build this haven and benefit from it. The area under Alliance control (PVE area) outside Refuge City will have restrictions on building to ensure that there are adequate resources about for everyone to access.

Outside of the Empire will be the Wildy, which will be the majority of the map. In order to keep it simple, i propose only a few rules here, enforced by the Alliance

No blocking rare resource spawns

No killing passive tames

No destroying more of someones base than you need to to defeat the defenders and access loot

Gameplay Tweaks

3x Harvesting

No Flyers

Limited Seige dinos. Paracer and platforms allowed.

Greater structure resistance to player and dinos

No crosshair

No Hud

No corpse loot beacon

Maximum build limit on platforms

Nearer resource to structure respawn radius

Higher resource gather rate/amount

Lower fuel rate consumption

Lower spoilage rate speed

Higher dino food consumption

No musket, no fire barrel?, maybe sticky bombs. Flintlock pistol? all bows and melee allowed. No cannon. 

Slightly boosted XP in all categories

Slower health regeneration

Clipping structures through things??

Hopefully through my rambling you've got an idea of how I'd like this to work. I am open to all suggestions, but please bear in mind if this totally isnt your cup of tea, you dont need to tell me about that. I intended this post as a brainstorm, and as a gauge for interest for this type of thing. Please let me think will work and what wont, and of the concept overall! I've never hosted a server and I'll take all the advice I can get. Thank you all for reading and may we one day do battle in the Inter-Alliance War games in Refuge City Arena.

tldr; I want to make a Primitive + server that attracts reasonable survivors who want to cooperate in an honorable manner and build a great city and works together. A server where the engrams are tailored to promote more even combat, not offline raiding and wanton wiping. A server with less grinding, but slightly more hardcore aspects as well.

I'm in. I really like where you are going but it would require a pretty serious admin force to ensure that these rules are being enforced and that current bugs like duping are not being abused. I think this is precisely what will make ARK a game people continue to play for years from now is communities looking to take the core construction set and make their own worlds. I commend you on the idea and effort and look forward to seeing where it goes.

Thank you for saying so Shadex. Hopefully you are a PS4 user, neglected to add that this will be on PS4. Unfortunately I dont have Ark on PC, although i do have a steam account, it doesnt want to let me send a pm. Please post you PSN account so i can add you. 

Anyone else that is interested please post your PSN account so i can talk to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Defiantly seems like something I would be interested in trying out (so much so that I made an account to comment lol)
Me and my friend tried to get into servers like this a handful of times but sadly it rarely works out usually due to poor leadership. Like the last rp server we tried the admin got tired of being asked to enforce his own servers rules and declared the entire server was now an normal pvp server except for the small area he lived in >.>

Hopefully with enough tender love and care you will be able to pull this idea off and cultivate a successful, enjoyable rp server and I would love to tag along and see how it pans out!

My psn ID is Corack_ if you decide to get back to me send me a friend request first (I blocked messages from strangers due to the sharp increase in chat bots and psn card giveaways)

Archived