Info: Lost packs / can't find corpse solution work around

gruffmeister

This is FYI for those playing on private servers where the cheat commands can be enabled. Servers where cheats are disabled won't benefit from this work around unfortunately.

There are many occasions in ARK when you die, you know exactly where you died, and even so your pack is not there / cannot be found. This is because some bug in the game mechanics allows your body to clip through the "floor" of the world when you die (it doesn't happen all the time - possibly to do with what or where you impact). Also there are occasions in the swamps where the foilage prevents you from seeing your pack that is just below the surface of the water (but it's not deep enough to go prone under the water). 

The work around is to "enablecheats AdminPassword" and then use "cheat ghost" which disables clipping. You will then be able to clip through rocks and the floor to find your pack (should be quite easy to locate your corpse if this has happened). Here's an example on our server where my body had clipped through the floor:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/544174641538867146/9C060F8717E17C7D7226EBEE75A4183FEFB136DF/

The world below the ground is a gap, and then water. In this case my body had fallen far enough through the floor that it was in the water "below" the world. Some tips on the usage of ghost:

1. After pack recovery, walk up to the surface and then to disable ghost use "cheat walk". This only works if you have used "cheat ghost" when not on a dino - on a dino the ghost and walk commands apply to them and your character ends up in some kind of half way to hell position where ghost is permanently enabled unless you kill yourself.
  2. Do not use ghost whilst on dinos. They will clip through the floor as well, and once you get them back to the surface and use "cheat walk" they will be ok but when you jump off you will fall continuously through the world. There are cases where you will be bumped off your dino under the world, and you and the dino will be stuck under the world.
  3. If you do find you are falling through the world to oblivion, use "cheat fly" to return to the surface (holding W, Space (jump / swim up) and Shift (sprint) whilst looking upwards). It can take a while this way, so be patient if you need to save your stuff. After using "cheat fly" use "cheat walk" to return to the ground. Make sure you are on the surface and not too high up otherwise you will fall as if you've jumped off a flyer mid-air.
  4. In the cases where you fly to the surface and "cheat walk" just makes you fall again, you are going to have to put all your gear in storage and kill yourself because you are stuck half way to the underverse (basically a Necromonger ;) )

Like the rest of you, I am hoping the devs focus on fixing these bugs rather than bringing new content all the time, but for now this is a work around that has helped me quite a few times. This method also works for supply drops that are glitched into rocks.

• 1 month later...

Joans death helper mod

even though it places a beacon on your corpse/pack which makes it easier to find when you're near it (which some may not want), the functionality i use it for, is that it also pulls your corpse/pack out from under the ground. allowing you to always retrieve your stuff, whether it be stuck in a rock, under the ground or somewhere else really weird.

i would highly recommend joans death helper actually be implemented as baseline, with switches to enable/disable the beacon.

it also comes with a suicide potion in case you get stuck, which isn't so useful any more as you can now jump out of stuck situations.

Archived