Hello,

I am new to forums, an existing player, but I am so unfamiliar with MMO LINGO- some assistance would be greatly appreciated!

What is-

• a dedicated server

• an *undedicated server*?

• How do I refer to servers that already exist when I load up the server list?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

-DinoRaptor76

A dedicated server - this is a server where the game keeps running and time-passing (in game) whether you are logged in or not. This means if you have a timer going, say for taming, or egg hatching, it will continue to count down, even when you are not in the game world. Additionally, people can log into this world (assuming they have access), play, tame, hunt, and even come by and raid your stuff, as your logged out character will just be unconscious laying on the floor.

• Official Dedicated - These are the server WildCard provides, they are owned and operated by them
  • Player Dedicated - These are servers that other people have created/rented and are owned/operated by the individuals. Often times these environments have custom rules or third-party modifications (Mods) that change the gameplay. Typically by adding in elements not in the core game (i.e. a teleporter)

A non-dedicated server - This is the game world that is created when you want to play multiplayer with friends, but without a dedicated server. One persons computer serves as the 'host' to the game and everyone else connects to it. It has all the same custom rules and modifications elements as a player dedicated, with two exceptions: 

• Gameplay ceases when the host leaves the game, everyone either has to log out or get disconnected. The world is essentially shutdown till the host returns.
  • In-game players have to stay within a certain radius of the host account, this is due to the increased system demand of not only running the gameplay map, but also rending the host's character.
    • On PC, this radius is adjustable, though at increased hardware requirements
    • On Console, this is a fixed radius of about 250m

There are 'Search' functions available on the 'Join Server' option screen, there are filters that allow you to search for specific game types, specific maps, dedicated/non-dedicated, password protected, etc... You can even search by name of the host! 

Archived