Irritator familiaris, Survivor's Best Friend and the Ultimate Gathering Buddy!

Sairophaganx

Suggestion

Dossier art made by the lovely @Laind004!

Common Name: Irritator
Species: Irritator familiaris
Time: Early Cretaceous
Diet: Piscivore
Temperament: Curious

Wild
While the Ark's other spinosaurids are infamous for their high levels of aggression, this couldn't be further from the truth for the pack-dwelling Irritator familiaris. Smaller than the Irritator I'm familiar from the fossil record yet still large compared to most coastal denizens, this social theropod goes about its days roaming the beaches with its familial pack, investigating any other beach dwellers, whether it be a terrified Dodo or a newly awoken survivor. I've even witnessed Irritators go up to and sniff the legs of a Tyrannosaurus without one bit of worry. I believe this seeming lack of fear towards other predators is a product of a natural pheromone emitted by every Irritator that, fitting for its namesake, causes even the largest of animals to steer clear of packs of Irritator. However, newly hatched Irritators, still residing in the pack's den, seem to lack this pheromone, making them choice prey for any predators who are willing to risk the pack's wrath.

Domesticated
Taming an Irritator is a rather complicated process
, as despite their curiosity, they do not form bonds with those outside their pack easily. The most common method I've seen employed involves a mix of playfighting, playing fetch with rare items, and cuddling. The younger the Irritator, the easier it is to domesticate. However, focusing solely on a single pack member may cause the rest of the pack to become jealous or even outright aggressive, shoving the favored Irritator away in an attempt to become the spotlight themselves. Once tamed, an Irritator makes an excellent travel mount both on land and in the sea. Their inherently curious nature makes them excellent at locating rare resources, especially those underwater. Irritator can also be taught to use their pelican-like throat pouch to store large amounts of heavy goods, making them the ultimate companions for gathering expeditions.

Edited by Sairophaganx

2 replies to this server topic