Flightless Hatzegopteryx (Wall-climbing Karkinos Tamer!)

Arambourgiania

Suggestion

hatzegopteryx-dossier-07-09-2023_orig.pn

Common Name: Hatzegopteryx

Species: H. kavoratrogon

Time: Late Cretaceous

Diet: Insectivore

Temperament: Neutral

Wild: Adapted to subterranean caverns, Hatzegopteryx kavoratrogon can be found climbing around the giant roots of the Luminous Marshlands. It has developed a taste for creepy crawlies of all shapes and sizes and behaves aggressively toward them. Otherwise despite its nightmarish appearance this flightless pterosaur is actually quite docile unless provoked. Although reaching a wild Hatzegopteryx in its natural habitat can be physically tricky, the creature's calm demeanor means it can be safely approached and fed chitin or, more effectively, alpha karkinos claws to earn its loyalty.

Domesticated: Hatzegopteryx specializes in hunting bugs, crushing them easily and feeding exclusively on chitin. Its powerful beak is especially effective against karkinos, able to use well-aimed strikes to knock them unconcious with similar effectiveness to a catapult. Rumor has it that this ability is also effective for knocking out golems as well! Hatzegopteryx' pick-like forelimbs enable it to scale verticle surfaces with relative ease. This could almost certainly come in handy when trying to snatch those pesky high-up rock drake eggs! Unfortunately its wing membranes have become too vestigial to support so much as gliding let alone powered flight. Although Hatzegopteryx is not semiaquatic per se, it can swim well enough to hunt its karkinos prey.

Artist's Notes: This design leans into the now-disproven hypothesis that Hatzegopteryx may have been flightless. I thought it was still a fun idea to experiment with especially in the context of Aberration. I wanted an alternative method to karkinos taming, as messing with catapults or cannons can be resource-intensive and finicky. I've been sitting on this concept for over a month and am excited to finally showcase it! Thank you for checking my idea out and I hope it earns your vote.

Community Suggestions:

~If transferred to other maps, this Hatzegopteryx would have an unlockable tek saddle that would equip it with artificial wings and restore its ability to fly.

Edited by Arambourgiania
Added a community suggestion.

25 replies to this server topic

2 hours ago, Arambourgiania said:

I can understand where you're coming from on the other points, but too big? Bigger than a karkinos or a basilisk? Heck, even a Diplodocus? A reaper? Because those are all in the same size range if not bigger and they work on the map just fine. To say this is too big for Aberration makes zero dense.

Anyway, the whole point of Aberration is that the inhabitants have deviated from their natural forms to adapt to the harsh, dim, radioactive climate... So to me its a fair question to ask what would a flyer be like if it adapted to Aberration's conditions?

We already have Quetzalcoatlus as the in-game flying azhdarchid, and if fans wanted another one there are still a few others to choose from in that size range such as Arambourgiania and Cryodrakon. I don't see the issue with having one member of the family that is a little more unique than the others for a unique map.

Hatzegopteryx was around 15 feet tall and had a wing span of 30 feet. I understand your point that it's not as big as those creatures you mentioned but why would you do this titan of an azhdarchid a great injustice by placing it inside a cave, rendering it flightless at that, when it's best suited to being on an open island map? This would have been perfect for Ragnarok as a wyvern killer combat mount.  

4 hours ago, jgwinchell said:

Of the few creatures I brainstormed for the Aberration vote, I came up with this exact same concept. I'm disappointed this hasn't gotten more votes, and I would probably blame the fact that so many people (including myself) can't even vote.

Interesting! Sounds to me like this concept is a natural fit for Aberration then. It is a pity most people don't seem to be seeing what we see in this idea, and the restricted voting doesn't help either. It's hard going up against the juggernaut submissions that probably have some content creator somewhere promoting the absolute fudge out of them.

I just polished up the dossier and generally revamped the entry. This is my first time messing with the dossier template so I've been really practicing on improving my presentation. Please consider voting for this awesome creature! I know we're quite far behind a lot of other entries but there is still plenty of time left in the contest to make a comeback. Thanks to everyone who has at least checked this out!

2 hours ago, Hitmonjake said:

Hatzeg is too big of a dino for Aberration, this isn't the time for a creature of this standard. Especially as the original Hatzeg was an aggressive hunter that ate just about anything, I can't see a flightless passive Hatzeg working on this map. Sorry.

I can understand where you're coming from on the other points, but too big? Bigger than a karkinos or a basilisk? Heck, even a Diplodocus? A reaper? Because those are all in the same size range if not bigger and they work on the map just fine. To say this is too big for Aberration makes zero dense.

Anyway, the whole point of Aberration is that the inhabitants have deviated from their natural forms to adapt to the harsh, dim, radioactive climate... So to me its a fair question to ask what would a flyer be like if it adapted to Aberration's conditions?

We already have Quetzalcoatlus as the in-game flying azhdarchid, and if fans wanted another one there are still a few others to choose from in that size range such as Arambourgiania and Cryodrakon. I don't see the issue with having one member of the family that is a little more unique than the others for a unique map.

3 hours ago, Hitmonjake said:

Hatzegopteryx was around 15 feet tall and had a wing span of 30 feet. I understand your point that it's not as big as those creatures you mentioned but why would you do this titan of an azhdarchid a great injustice by placing it inside a cave, rendering it flightless at that, when it's best suited to being on an open island map? This would have been perfect for Ragnarok as a wyvern killer combat mount.  

It's called having an imagination, and if we're limiting ourselves to what's absolutely realistic then being a wyvern killer makes no sense because large azhdarchids were terrestrial predators despite being capable of powered flight. The concept behind this is what would happen to a large azhdarchid on Aberration? So it's not what *I* did to it, it's what I think would happen to it under Aberration's conditions. Is that really such a hard notion for you to grasp?

Edit: Honestly doesn't it make sense that a terrestrial predator forced into a subterranean habitat would just lose the ability to fly? I really don't see the issue here.

Edited by Arambourgiania
Additional observation.

Elsewhere someone suggested what I thought was a really good idea that if transferred to other maps, this Hatzegopteryx would have an unlockable tek saddle that would equip it with artificial wings and restore its ability to fly! So I've added that as a "community suggestion" to the original entry.