Suggestion

Common name: Protochelydra
Species: Protochelydra zangerli
Time: Late Paleocene
Diet: Carnivore
Temperament: Aggressive

Breedable: Yes

Rideable: Yes

Wild: Protochelydra zangerli is a creature I've had the displeasure of encountering in the waters of the ARK multiple times in the past. It resembles an alligator snapping turtle, except if it was the size of a Diplodocus with the aggression of an allosaurus. Protochelydra usually hunts as an ambush predator, using its worm-like tongue to lure in smaller prey and eat them, much like its modern-day counterpart. Unlike the alligator snapping turtle, however, if the Protochelydra fails, it will immediately charge at its prey, ramming into them to stun them, and finishing them off with its incredibly powerful bite. It's surprisingly quick despite the obvious factor of it being a turtle, though it seems to only be capable of short bursts of speed on land. In the water, it's quite quick, making escaping it in the water unlikely. One's best bet in terms of combatting this titanic turtle is to wear it down from a range.

I've observed Protochelydra displaying high levels of aggression towards Spinosaurus, usually immediately upon spotting one. The two commonly fight, but on most occasions both creatures will come out alive, merely wounded. Protochelydra seems to enjoy preying on Sarcosuchus and other semi-aquatic predators, as well as Paraceratherium, DIplodocus, and toher large herbivores. It's recommended to keep these creatures away from an area with Protochelydra present.

Domesticated: From what I've seen, Protochelydra is an excellent choice for one to tame. It's heavy defenses and powerful jaws allow to menace foes, and many that haven't seen it don't expect it to charge at them. A very technologically advanced tribe I've met attached cannons to its shell, allowing it to deal with flying enemies with ease. Combined with its defenses, it's able to combat threats on land, sea, and in the sky!

Taming: Protochelydra would be given bait by the player, which it would use to lure and eat other creatures. Perhaps one could even sacrifice their own tames in this process. Larger creatures would yield higher taming effectiveness and progress on the taming bar.

Saddle: The Protochelydra saddle would have anti-air cannons on its back, and be unlocked around level 70 or so. The rider would be in an enclosed seat, protected from harm and provided with infinite oxygen. It would have a corvus at the top front of the shell that could be used to board enemy platform saddles and rafts, as well as get on buildings.

Spawns: Protochelydra would spawn in basically any in-land body of water on the map, as well as in the swamps and marshes.

----------------------------------------------------Abilities and uses --------------------------------------------------------------

-Bite: The left click attack of the Protochelydra. Hold left click to charge the bite up for a high damage attack that only has it's damage reduced by half the normal amount that the enemy's armor would normally reduce.

-Rushdown: The right click attack of the Protochelydra. Short burst of speed that deals decent damage to multiple enemies. Applies a slowing and bleed debuff and activates the corvus (roman naval boarding device, it would merely extend, not lock Protochelydra in place).

-Shell Armor: It's shell reduces damage taken by 20%. Protochelydra can retreat into its shell, bringing the resistance up to 50%. While in this state, Protochelydra can use two more abilities. This makes it excellent for tanking, especially in bossfights.

-----Cannons: Protochelydra's rider can control its cannons, which deal decent damage on their own, but either have a 50% damage boost towards fliers or knock them out of the air. It's important to note that other tribemates can control the cannons while its not in its shell, but the rider gains the ability to do so.

-----Shell Spin: Protochelydra can spin while retreated in its shell. It cannot move while spinning. While spinning, it removes any debuff it has and if it's being grabbed by anything large enough to pick it up (Rhyniognatha and Tek Skiff), the spin releases it from its grasp. If on the ground, it spawns a temporary shrapnel hazard that deals average damage to grounded creatures but high damage to flyers and bulky creatures, further making it a threat to them. The Shell Spin would also knock enemies back, acting as a "Get off!" attack. 

-Lure: Protochelydra can have bait placed on its tongue, acting as a more effective fishing rod. On top of this, it would also be capable of attracting creatures without triggering their aggression.

-Aquatic Affinity: Protochelydra does not need oxygen, and it moves quite fast underwater. It would also gain the hydrated buff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to submit Protochelydra as I'd love to have a giant snapping turtle in the game. I think they're pretty interesting and underappreciated animals. Ark only has 2 turtles in the game, one of which is a fantasy creature, and the other merely exists as a soaker and sacrifice creature. I would like to note that while yes, a giant turtle with cannons on its back is similar to a certain monster from a successful franchise, no, I didn't base it off that. I was like halfway through making this thing when I realized the similarity. 

Please consider voting for Protochelydra, as it would be a wonderful addition to the game. Though my post obviously isn't as well made as some other posts I've seen, I do think it deserves a chance.

ImageImage source: https://twitter.com/TomHoltzPaleo/status/1312001720940138503

Edited by LagiSG

0 replies to this server topic

There have been no replies to this suggestion yet