Brachypelma gigas, The giant tarantula taming assistant.

Jothung

Suggestion

Common Name: Giant redknee

Species: Brachypelma Gigas

Time: Unknown

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Defensive

Wild
Brachypelma Gigas closely resembles modern day tarantulas of the Brachypelma genus. More specifically B. hamorii or B. smithi, save for the fact that it's enormous, being around the size of the islands Carnotaurus. As long as you don't get too close though it isn't overly dangerous, since like modern day tarantulas the Brachypelma Gigas prefers to sit on a bed of silk and wait for suitable prey to come within striking range. As which point the tarantula will pounce on it and pin it down. So as long as you don't get too close you shouldn't have a problem. Brachypelma gigas can most commonly be found within caves but can occasionaly be seen above ground as well. It generally makes it's home in dry, desert type environments.

Domesticated
In order to tame Brachypelma gigas one must gather up some sacrificial tames, preferably giant insects as tarantulas are generally insectivores, and throw or whistle them into the tarantulas striking range. Once it's pinned down the prey you can simply walk up and pet it while it's distracted with it's food, slowly getting it used to you. Once tamed Brachypelma gigas makes for a fantastic helper when it comes to taming other animals. It's able to lay down silk mats on the ground which function like bear traps, stopping small to medium sized animals in their tracks. Unlike metal bear traps though it's silk is biodegradable and will dissolve after a few minutes even if nothing steps on it. It also injects torpor inducing venom with every bite and can flick urticating hairs from it's abdomen which slow and temporarily blind smaller creatures. It does take a while for the hair to grow back though so it can't be relied on constantly. Brachypelma gigas is also capable of climbing walls and cliffs. Although being a heavy bodied, terrestrial species it's not very good at it. Making it a somewhat slow climber and it certainly can't cling on to ceilings or the roof of caves.

Tameable: Yes

Rideable: Yes

Breedable: Yes

Extra notes (Not part of dossier)
I know this isn't an extinct animal so maybe it doesn't qualify for this but since Ark has mythical creatures I figured I'd submit it anyway.
I always thought a giant tarantula would be really cool ever since scorched earth came out and I'd really love to see this in Ark. And having a creature dedicated to helping tame other animals as well as being a decent all-around mount would be nice. I imagine this to be on the higher end of mid level as far as the saddle goes. And I think it's be cool if instead of a normal saddle your character just sat on top of the carapace and held onto reins that were affixed around the base of the pedipalps where they connect to the cephalothorax. I also think it'd be really neat if the abdomen changed size depending on how well fed it is. When it's hunger is full the abdomen would be somewhat bigger compared to the cephalothorax. When it's food is almost or completely empty the abdomen would be noticeably small compared to the cephalothorax. I have no idea how hard that'd be to do though so it's just kinda a spitball idea. If it's unrealistic I'd totally understand.

So yeah, this is my idea for an animal to add. I've played and loved Ark for over 7,600 hours, which I'm pretty sure is longer than every other game I've played in my life combined. So to see one of my favorite animals added to the game would just be absolutely amazing. But I also understand most people don't like spiders/tarantulas so I can't imagine my suggestion will be very popular. But one can always dream. And although I think a tarantula in the Brachypelma genus would be best I'd be happy to see any species of tarantula in the game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachypelma_hamorii

thisone1.jpeg

thisone2.jpg

1 reply to this server topic

Archived