Building hosting PC

Wraith44

Hello all! 
Currently transitioning out of using a host provider, moving into the world of building my own hosting PC. Any suggestions on specs? Any tips or pieces of advice you fine people have experienced, doing what I'm doing? Any info is appreciated. Looking to run 9 maps and have a population of about 100 players that I'm looking to comfortably hold (along with some other smaller servers for personal use like conan/valheim etc.) 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Not the scale you're looking for but could be useful regardless. 

I built a HTPC form factor Server for me and my mates. Group size is 4 to 6. I turn maps on and off depending on what we're doing but it's normally 2 or 3 maps on at any time. We have 24 mods, main ones being S+ and Ark Automated 3. I don't see the rest of the mods impacting the server.
Ping on Telstra NBN FTTC is 11 to 30. 

CPU        Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor   
Motherboard    Asus PRIME B460I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard   
Memory        Corsair LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory  
Storage        Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD   
Case        In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply 
Total    $623.00 AUD

No monitor, GPU, keyboard or mouse. Just power and 1Gb LAN connection.
CPU usage is low. It's dual core with hyper threading so that's 4 logical processes able to run 1 map each. Per core performance matters for Ark. 
Ram usage is generally around or just over 50% of the 16GB, although Task Manager only reports about 700MB per map
Sits between 35c and 50c with ambient temps between 20c and 35c, stays on 24/7.
Runs Great :)

I think the hard limit is your internet connection. Your server should be hardware scaled to suit your net quality? - latency & bandwidth.

10 maps (ark, conan etc) comfortably -  So the fastest 6 core 12 thred CPU you can find. Use Ark Server Manager to assign each map to a logical processor. 
100 players - Maybe a 10Gb PCI-E network card and Router? Start with 1Gb onboard and upgrade later if needed?
Use your PCI-E Lanes for Network and Storage. You can get these PCI-E 2x M.2 cards that support onboard RAID.
You dont need a lot of storage. I have 5 installed maps all with heaps of save files and backups etc. Using 80 GB. - So a 256 GB NVME should be plenty.

Make sure your ISP doesnt block ports!

1.jpg

Archived