Tales of the Trash Table

Firetruck

Tales of the Trash Table

After playing ARK for a couple months now, I figured it was time to explore these forums and discover what secrets and treasures are to be uncovered here. Although I prefer the Steam version of the game, I play the Xbox port on my PC to play with one of my good friends my from childhood. I'm not your ordinary player. I prefer to organize and strategize than tame a dino or grind out a base. I have an idealist vision for what the game should be like, and currently lead a tribe towards achieving that goal. It is a goal of bringing security and prosperity to the ARK.

ARK is an amazing game and deserves a very large player base. Other big-name titles are attracting and maintaining their players. And actually, Wildcard is great at attracting people to their game. The thought of waking up on an island naked, populated with dinosaurs of every variety and you have to learn to survive on it fascinates the minds of almost anyone I share it with. The problem comes after they try the game, and learn that making progress in this game is actually extremely difficult, and it could be taken away in an instant. No AAA rating game shares that characteristic. And I completely get it; the devs want it to be this way. They want to give players a chaotic world and then let them tame it. Personally, I think this concept is fascinating. However, so many of my friends who've tried the game give me the same feedback about why they're not interested. They say, What's the point, or There's no tutorial, or You just get wiped every time you build. These are all valid reasons to move on from the game. But the reason these issues exist, I believe, is because no tribe has organized itself to the point of resolving them. 

Imagine logging into a server for the first time and struggling as a noob on the beaches of the island. Coming back, you find that your thatch hut has been raided and nothing is left. But as you're walking around punching dodos, you notice a colorful flag in the distance. You walk up to it, find a small chest beside it, and inside a handful of notes inviting you to join a competitive ARK tribe. You decide to reach out to the contact on the note. Pretty soon you're meeting with a recruiter, and he explains the legacy, aspirations, and structure of the tribe. You decide to join, and he takes you to a stone city with a bunch of in-game chatter. You follow him into a building where all the tribe laws and regulations are posted on wall signs. You've given food, clothing etc, and are told that you must work to stay in the tribe. You learn that there's a point system which the tribe uses as currency, and that everything you contribute to the tribe earns you those points. You harvest some stone and earn enough points to buy an argy from another tribemate. You earn your first promotion and are allowed to build a small hut within the city's walls. You are told that this base is just one of many, and that you must progress through the ranks to access stronger and more exclusive bases. You're invited by another tribe-mate to attend a tribe event in some building in the middle of the city. You find a boxing ring surrounded by stands filled with members of your tribe. The in-game chat is exploding with chants and laughter. You sit near your buddy, and the room is hushed by an admin. He makes some speech about happenings faraway in the tribe, welcomes the newcomers into the city (including you), and vows that another tribe will be attacked after some tribemate's base had been raided. He introduces the competitors of the night, and you are entertained watching the boxing matches for half an hour. You even win some points after betting on a certain fighter. You feel a part of something bigger than yourself, and wish to support the tribe by any way you can. When you log off that night you can't stop thinking about all that has happened. You log in the next day and your small thatch hut is still there, with your argy still outside.

That first tribemate's day is what I'm talking about when I say security and prosperity. The fact that you can log in and none of your stuff has been taken, or that when you're offline you aren't worried about being raided or wiped. The fact that, not only did you make progress in the game, you genuinely enjoyed that time you spent. It didn't feel like grinding for hours just to build out of metal, or frustrating waiting hours just to finish a tame. If there are tribes such as these, Wildcard will see their player-base increase. This game will become popular and not just a cult sensation. I've made it my goal to be a leader in bringing these tribes about. I will post occasional stories about my adventures in this quest. Follow this thread to keep up with the tribe, or if you're of the same opinion please share your thoughts below!

Archived