XBOX Crossplay unable to find dedicated PC Server

thuggers

I have been running a Dedicated Cluster for Ark now since early Access. I was VERY excited by the new crossplay feature announced earlier this week. I have several friends who would like to play with us on thier Xbox. I Got an Xbox copy of the game and tried to connect to our servers and was unable to even find them. How can Xbox users find dedicated PC Servers? Is there some super secret setting on a dedicated Server that we must enable but no-one mentioned? I have tried searching online and there is very little real useful information about this new feature... Has anyone successfully joined a dedicated PC server OTHER than the special servers setup by wildcard? Is it even possible?

I will be honest, I didn't do a lot of research into the XBox version because I mostly play on PC. Over x mas I had a friend who would like to join us in Ark but he only has an Xbox. I find it interesting that No-one mentions the things that don't seem to be available or even possible with this exciting new cross-play feature or even the limitations of the console version. Just reading the hype and excitement of cross play one would think that you can play with your friends on their servers, this doesn't seem to be the case.  It seems like you can only do cross-play on special servers. Second, the Xbox version doesn't seem to support anything but official mods, and currently it doesn't even appear that all those are available, just primitive plus . Don't quote me on that because I and not completely certain but it does certainly look that way. 

So if anyone has information that tells how a private dedicated server cluster can host cross-play with mods this feature isn't all that the hype has led us (Meaning the gullible individuals who bought the hype, me included,  in the pipe dream)  to buy into the fantasy. It MAY happen in the future, that future isn't now.

-Thugg

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 2:25 PM, Xenomorph691987 said:

U got to use the windows 10 version of ark from windows 10 app store not the steam version for crossplay

So, Despite Having Windows 10, And running Ark on it you are saying that the Windows Store Version is going to be different than the steam version? And that If I want to play With Xbox people that is what I would Need? Has ANYONE out there created a dedicated unofficial server on a Windows 10 system (Not via Server Hosting) and been able to play with a mix of Xbox and PC users??

If so, could you please share the secret?

I recently tried hosting a dedicated server from my second Xbox. In the server configuration there is a check box to enable CrossPlay. It was on the server name, server password, admin password screen. If hosting from PC, I would look for that screen and see if you have a similar check box. 

As far as I can tell, CrossPlay servers are unique servers and must be configured to host CrossPlay. They did not make all servers automatically CrossPlay enabled. 

On a side note, does anyone know if it is possible to host an player dedicated session for Xbox from a rented Linux server? I would like to rent a server from Digital Ocean and host an Xbox player dedicated session. Not sure if it is possible though. 

We, a couple of friends and myself, have been able to setup a Win 10 Server instance that is crossplay enabled. It was a challenge to figure it out, and there are still quirks. We had to create a silver xbox live account/ microsoft account and then add it as a family member of our gold account that owned Ark Xbox/Windows store version. In order to start the server you must start the game and choose the host dedicated server option. The game is then running under the silver account. In order to join you have to friend the silver account and choose join game from the friends list on the xbox app. One quirk that we have discovered is that after about 2 days you get a message that you no longer own the game when you try and start up Ark. To solve this issue you have to install an app from the Microsoft Store. We have been reinstalling the twitter app every couple of days as a remedy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎11 at 11:48 AM, stupidmonkey said:

We, a couple of friends and myself, have been able to setup a Win 10 Server instance that is crossplay enabled. It was a challenge to figure it out, and there are still quirks. We had to create a silver xbox live account/ microsoft account and then add it as a family member of our gold account that owned Ark Xbox/Windows store version. In order to start the server you must start the game and choose the host dedicated server option. The game is then running under the silver account. In order to join you have to friend the silver account and choose join game from the friends list on the xbox app. One quirk that we have discovered is that after about 2 days you get a message that you no longer own the game when you try and start up Ark. To solve this issue you have to install an app from the Microsoft Store. We have been reinstalling the twitter app every couple of days as a remedy. 

Thanks for that info. Seems like a crazy amount of futzing around to get this feature to work.  It sounds like I would have to purchase a NEW version of the game to make it work or was it a steam copy that you were able to get running? I can see the Live account being necessary in order for Xbox clients to be able to see you... possibly. I am more interested in the details of configuring the Dedicated Server to have crossplay enabled... They sure don't advertise that anywhere that's for sure. If you have more details info regarding that please share! Many thanks.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, stupidmonkey said:

Thanks for this information.   I was having trouble getting my family (RW not Xbox) to join my server - I could send invites and they could join, but Xbox users couldn't join without the invite.  Adding everyone as a family seems to have fixed this.... ish.  It works the first time the Xbox is started but after that... not so much.

On 1/25/2018 at 4:52 PM, thuggers said:

Thanks for that info. Seems like a crazy amount of futzing around to get this feature to work.  It sounds like I would have to purchase a NEW version of the game to make it work or was it a steam copy that you were able to get running? I can see the Live account being necessary in order for Xbox clients to be able to see you... possibly. I am more interested in the details of configuring the Dedicated Server to have crossplay enabled... They sure don't advertise that anywhere that's for sure. If you have more details info regarding that please share! Many thanks.

It has to be the Microsoft Store Version of Ark in order for crossplay to work. It is a pain to get started but other than the having to uninstall and reinstall a Microsoft Store app every other day it is not bad.

Archived