Mantis Egg Trick?

Teralight

1 hour ago, docknex said:

Anyone have a map or coordinates to unknown region the ones i all find is like a 2x2. Trying to setup our new mantis pen to increase the egg drops & been flying around the map looking for like 8 hours with no luck.

The area I use is straight towards the dunes from the red oby. One one side is I think mountain, the other dunes.

There is also another along the edge of the south desert on the side towards the dunes, but not that close to the dunes.

I just assumed that the unknown region exists all along the edge of the dunes and the desert biomes, but I've never confirmed that. I would think it is a transition zone between these very hot regions and other regions. These "transition" zones are not wide, but are long. So just 2 or 3 foundations wide, but very long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently, since a few minor patches ago, I've noticed that my egg farm in the unknown region is now producing like 1/10 of the eggs it formerly did.

Anyone else seeing this?

If you are, then what does it take to get mantis eggs now?

Maybe put a farm on the Island? Possibly the Island also will not produce a lot of eggs now too?

Higher traffic areas and warmer climates makes them lay more eggs.

also the render distance trick will accelerate the above process.

The more people that come in and out of the render distance the more chance they have of laying eggs.

So more people flying by or walking what ever will mean that come in and out of "Stasis" more

One mantis at green OB on edge of Desert 3 eggs per day

5 mantis with a male in middle of map Not one egg ever.

Good luck

2 hours ago, Sonicbmx said:

Higher traffic areas and warmer climates makes them lay more eggs.

also the render distance trick will accelerate the above process.

The more people that come in and out of the render distance the more chance they have of laying eggs.

So more people flying by or walking what ever will mean that come in and out of "Stasis" more

One mantis at green OB on edge of Desert 3 eggs per day

5 mantis with a male in middle of map Not one egg ever.

Good luck

Got just one egg all day (although I admit, I don't check much anymore). Would normally get 5 at a time about once a day, haven't seen that in a few weeks.

Thanks for the reply, but no new information above.

I don't want to move my egg farm, but might consider it. I think maybe one near the scar would have the most traffic, although I don't want to take up any prime real-estate that would be used for wyvern traps.

Was asking if anyone else has noticed that the unknown region trick no longer works. Anyone know? 

On 1/3/2017 at 2:25 AM, wildbill said:

Hmm, I wonder what is going on with mine then. Made a few changes to the base, but nothing that should affect the egg laying.

My unknown region mantis egg base lays eggs as expected, but keep in mind that the mantis only lays eggs coming out of stasis.  Somebody recently built a base nearby and their constant activity in the area means I get zero eggs while they're online.  Only when they're offline and it can go into stasis as normal do I start getting eggs again.

You most definitely do not want the base in a high traffic area.

10 minutes ago, eswimm said:

My unknown region mantis egg base lays eggs as expected, but keep in mind that the mantis only lays eggs coming out of stasis.  Somebody recently built a base nearby and their constant activity in the area means I get zero eggs while they're online.  Only when they're offline and it can go into stasis as normal do I start getting eggs again.

You most definitely do not want the base in a high traffic area.

Ah, I think this explains it. I was almost constantly logged in while raising wyverns. I was keeping a wyvern in a trap for up to 24 hours. There is also a new base fairly close, not sure if it is close enough to cause a problem.

That the mantis only lays eggs coming out of statis is unlike other egg laying dinos. I think it was mentioned that going in and out of statis would increase the number of eggs, but until now it wasn't clear to me that that is the only time they lay eggs.

Just now, wildbill said:

Ah, I think this explains it. I was almost constantly logged in while raising wyverns. I was keeping a wyvern in a trap for up to 24 hours. There is also a new base fairly close, not sure if it is close enough to cause a problem.

That the mantis only lays eggs coming out of statis is unlike other egg laying dinos. I think it was mentioned that going in and out of statis would increase the number of eggs, but until now it wasn't clear to me that that is the only time they lay eggs.

Yes, since they don't poop, they don't lay on an interval.

Archived