PGARK Settings Basic Visual Guide and Examples

Keep in mind:

• most (if not all) settings are LIMITS for the generator to use, NOT exact measurements.
  • work in small increments - sometimes a change of 0.01 on some settings will make a MAJOR change in the look of a map.
  • some settings will effect the results of other settings...
  • i recommend starting in solo mode with low settings, then adjust your map one setting at a time until you know how each setting effects your resulting map. This way if you see strange results you can go back and know which setting caused it.

Settings covered below so far:

0. Seed

1. WaterLevel & OceanFloorLevel
  2. DeepWaterBiomesDepth
  3. ShorelineStartOffset & ShorelineThickness
  4. MountainsHeight **UPDATE** & Mountains Frequency
  5. Mountains Slope
  6. Water Frequency
  7. JungleBiomeStart & MountainBiomeStart
  8. LandscapeRadius
  9. ErosionIterations
  10. MaxSawnPointHeight

I will expand and update this for all the settings as i go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0. Seed:

seed = base number for a random number generator to use (to put it very simply)

With the ark PG maps a 'seed' is used in a random number generator, in combination with the other settings, to generate a 'random' or natural looking map. Without randomness you would always have the same straight or perfectly curved shores... all mountains would be the same shape and height... all trees would be the same exact spacing apart... so on and so fourth.. not very natural and pretty boring in my opinion.

BUT Computers can not actually do true random numbers... only what looks like a random pattern of numbers. Using a starting 'seed' creates a random-looking sequence of numbers based on that number and it will ALWAYS be the same sequence of numbers with that specific 'seed'.

This is why anyone using the same seed and settings will result in the same natural looking generated map.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. WaterLevel & OceanFloorLevel:

PGARK WaterLevel and OceanFloorLevel.jpg

• Example ** OceanFloorLevel=-1.00WaterLevel=-0.98 ** distance between settings = 0.02 ** deepest oceans roughly 2 foundation WIDTHS deep
  • Example ** OceanFloorLevel=-1.00WaterLevel=-0.80 ** distance between settings = 0.20 ** deepest oceans roughly 20 foundation WIDTHS deep
  • NOTE ** The deeper the ocean... the less space you have above the water for mountains and such.
  • I recommend keeping OceanFloorLevel at -1.0 and working up from there. 

2. DeepWaterBiomesDepth:

PGARK DeepWaterBiomesDepth.jpg

• Deep water biome objects (large rocks and weeds) are pretty tall (0.20 or so). In the above example, those objects stick up out of the water around the shores. (neat effect)
  • Note ** If the biome setting in the above example was -0.01, the biome would start very close to the water surface. (weeds, rocks, oil, mosas, etc.. close to shore)
  • Note ** If the biome setting in the above example was -0.20, the biome would start at the OceanFloorLevel, in turn there would be no biome, no oil, and so on...

3. ShorelineStartOffset & ShorelineThickness:

PGARK ShorelineStartOffset and ShorelineThickness.jpg

• These settings determine your SHORE Biome
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.04 and ShorelineThickness=0.001 will make beaches wide & flat
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.04 and ShorelineThickness=0.04 will make 45 degree sloped shores
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.001 and ShorelineThickness=0.04 will make high cliff shores
  • Note ** ShorelineStartOffset is measured from water line, so larger offset = larger beach but smaller inland area
  • Note ** If ShorelineThickness is very small you will hear water splashing on a lot of the beach.

4. MountainsHeight & Mountains Frequency: **UPDATE**

PGARK MountainsHeight and Mountains Frequency.jpg

**UPDATE**

• MountainsHeight is the elevation limit to the highest mountain tops
  • Range = WaterLevel to 1.0
  • Mountains Frequency is roughly the number of peaks or high spots spread across the map
  • Note ** (TURBULENCE setting will vary and randomize Height and Frequency across the map - ill detail that setting later)

5. Mountains Slope

GUIDE_MtnSlope.jpg

• This effects the transition from land to mountain slope (also shape of mountain peaks)
  • 0.0 = vertical mountain slopes, cliffs + flat tops
  • 2.0 = smooth slopes, rolling hills
  • NOTE ** The image above shows the exact same map, seed, and settings EXCEPT for the Mountain Slope as shown in the image

6. Water Frequency

GUIDE_WaterFreq.jpg

• Roughly the number of dips or low spots spread across the map
  • NOTE ** The image above shows the exact same map, seed, and settings EXCEPT for the water frequency as shown in the image

7. JungleBiomeStart & MountainBiomeStart:

PGARK JungleBiomeStart and MountainBiomeStart.jpg

• (in the example image i had turned jungle tree density down, also the peak in the distance was the only place high enough to extend into the mountain biome.
  • Example ** if JungleBiomeStart in the above example were set to -0.50 (same as water level), all the grassland biome (on the right in image) would change to jungle
  • Example ** if MountainBiomeStart in the above example were set to -0.50 (same as water level), metal nodes and mountain spawns would extend all the way down to the shore
  • Note ** if MountainBiomeStart is set too high you will not find metal.
  • MountainBiomeStart also effects start elevation of Metal nodes in redwood biome and Obsidian nodes in snow biome.

8. LandscapeRadius:

PGARK LandscapeRadius.jpg

PGARK LandscapeRadius1.jpg

• *** Both the maps above use the EXACT same settings except for LandscapeRadius ***
  • NOTE ** With LandscapeRadius near and above 1.0 you may start seeing the edges of the land being cut by the map boundary. (see the image above)
  • THIS SETTING DOES NOT INCREASE THE MAP SIZE... ONLY THE LAND MASS UP TO THE MAP BOUNDARY

PGARK LandscapeRadiusClippingover1.jpg

• With LandscapeRadius above 1.0 you start to see an overlapping effect NOT an increase in land or map size.
  • again, THIS SETTING DOES NOT INCREASE THE MAP SIZE... ONLY THE LAND MASS UP TO THE MAP BOUNDARY

9. ErosionIterations:

• Controls overall smoothness of all land
  • 0 = no erosion, very smooth land, mountains, etc...
  • 1,000,000 = a lot of erosion, VERY bumpy land, mountains, etc...

10. MaxSawnPointHeight:

• Maximum height of land for characters to spawn into zones.
  • Range: WaterLevel to 1.0
  • Always make this greater than WaterLevel setting.
  • Example ** if MaxSawnPointHeight=1.0, characters will spawn in at any elevation from water to top of mountains
  • Example ** if MaxSawnPointHeight is only 0.01 greater than WaterLevel, characters will spawn close to shores, unless your maps land is extremely flat

MORE TO COME SOON... STAY TUNED!

I've been doing some testing as well, though not as detailed. I'll record my observations here. All my testing is done with otherwise default settings and seed.

Landscape Radius = Appears to control overall size of landmasses. Values below 1.0 produce extremely small or no islands. Values over 100 produce terrain so large it gets cut off at the map boundaries. Map boundaries stay the same regardless of setting, at <1.0 you get a few small islands and a very large, open ocean.

radius 10.0: NZeg7Pa.png

radius 0.1: 2Xgsbfc.png

Water Frequency = Controls the distribution of underwater areas, and the bumpiness of it. Decreasing the number smooths terrain and creates generally shallower underwater terrain. Increasing it creates more bumps, jags and cliffes. It also influences above-water terrain generation to an extent.

frequency 0.5:

Sr2ptx2.png

frequency 50.0:

Ii5VfJI.png

above water view:

bHmt2xO.jpg

Mountain Frequency = Controls the height, smoothness and frequency of mountainous terrain.

frequency 0.8:

J7d9SCq.png

frequency 80.0:

nxxCjtQ.jpg

Mountain Slope

slope 0.1:

WpCwg1l.png

slope 10.0:

NqqEWol.png

Shore Slope

slope 0.1:

oQhTfpf.jpg

slope 10.0:

nLYHO8r.jpg

Shore Start Offset

offset 0.5:

kilAVjm.png

Turbulence Power = Controls how "fine" the random noise patterns used to form terrain are. Higher number creates sharper, jagged terrain gradients.

power 0.0005:

Byftk3o.jpg

power 0.2:

WDGvXqh.jpg

Erosion Iterations = number of refinement steps for erosion algorithm. Lower number reduces appearance of erosion on mountains and in gullies, produces smoother terrain at the cost of detail.

8 minutes ago, UnlegitJenn said:

I'd like to add (at least for me) Adding Landscape radius close to 80 and up causes scars and tearing in the landscape.

Like so:

nXiA86H.jpg

I'm not too sure if anything else is causing this.

I really like that effect! I wonder if it can be tweeked and lowered to a river like effect? May i ask what seed you used for this map? I'd like to play around with something like that a bit.

Sure, Here's the settings I used and I didn't put a seed it seems.

PGFavorite4=MapSeed=0;LandscapeRadius=111;Water Frequency=5.0;Mountains Frequency=8.0;Mountains Slope=1.0;MountainsHeight=1.0;Turbulence Power=0.0125;Shore Slope=1.0;WaterLevel=-0.72;GrassDensity=1.0;JungleGrassDensity=0.02;ErosionIterations=200000;OceanFloorLevel=-1.0;SnowBiomeSize=0.3;RWBiomeSize=0.075;MountainBiomeStart=-0.55;MountainsTreeDensity=0.01;JungleBiomeStart=-0.65;IslandBorderCurveExp=4.0;MaxSawnPointHeight=0.1;SnowGrassDensity=0.25;MountainGrassDensity=0.05;SnowMountainGrassDensity=0.15;UnderwaterObjectsDensity=0.5;SnowMountainsTreeDensity=0.01;TreeDensity=0.003;JungleTreeDensity=0.66;RedWoodTreeDensity=0.35;SnowTreeDensity=1.0;RedwoodGrassDensity=0.1;ShoreTreeDensity=0.05;SnowShoreTreeDensity=0.025;DeepWaterBiomesDepth=-0.24;InlandWaterObjectsDensity=0.5;ShorelineStartOffset=0.01;ShorelineThickness=0.0015;TerrainScaleMultiplier=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f,Z=1.0f);SnowBiomeLocation=(X=0.2f,Y=0.2f);RWForestBiomeLocation=(X=0.5f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);SouthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=1.0f);EastRegion1Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);EastRegion1End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3End=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f);WestRegion1Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.0f);WestRegion1End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3End=(X=0.25f,Y=1.0f)

My pleasure! I could spend all my time just making different arks and playing with settings...  and a lot of biomes are still not in yet. Im havin a blast :P lol 

-------------

new game...  capture the redwoods! everyone start on the left and first one to the redwood tree in the distance wins!! GO! hah

large.580bfce0c08d2_ProgenInterestingResultsforanarkmap01.jpg

On 10/24/2016 at 11:40 PM, UnlegitJenn said:

I'd like to add (at least for me) Adding Landscape radius close to 80 and up causes scars and tearing in the landscape.

Like so:

nXiA86H.jpg

I'm not too sure if anything else is causing this.

I found the same thing.  Any value of landscape radius greater than 10 will cause "folding" of the landscape as per your screenshot, or what I call a starburst effect, where you get these folds radiating from the map center (50lat ,50long).

And I have yet to see landscape radius actually increase the amount of land on a map.  Hopefully somebody can give an example where it does show an increase in landmass

2 hours ago, Wolfking913 said:

I have two questions, how do you bring land masses together to make a single one therefore reducing the number of islands? And how do you create a map that uses one or more biomes while excluding the others? Example: A map with just redwoods and snow biomes.

1 hour ago, Wolfking913 said:

Also, what exactly is a map seed and how do they affect the PG Arks?

To answer your 3 questions Wolfking. Your first and third question kinda go together. Seeds like in "Minecraft" produce variant landscape masses. With the adjustment of the radius as above can also produce one landmass. Also the adjustment of water frequency can expose or cover different landmasses making it look like one landmass to multiple islands. With mine i also adjusted the Terrain Scale Multiplier at the bottom. Now this can produce some unwanted affects or some really cool ones depending on your seed. Now to your question number two. All the biomes will semi overlap or take each other over. So this goes back to your seed and landmass size which will very from case to case basis.

Here's an example of a large, very flat landmass... All jungle, with metal nodes everywhere...

(there is a slight bump and low spot on this map because i did not totally zero out the frequency of water and mountains... but nearly)

FLAT.jpg

PGLastUsedSettings=MapSeed=1610291072;LandscapeRadius=1.0;Water Frequency=0.01;Mountains Frequency=0.01;Mountains Slope=1.0;MountainsHeight=1.0;Turbulence Power=0.001;Shore Slope=1.0;WaterLevel=-0.90;GrassDensity=1.0;JungleGrassDensity=0.30;ErosionIterations=100;OceanFloorLevel=-1.00;SnowBiomeSize=0.001;RWBiomeSize=0.001;MountainBiomeStart=-1.0;MountainsTreeDensity=0.01;JungleBiomeStart=-1.0;IslandBorderCurveExp=2.0;MaxSawnPointHeight=0.0;SnowGrassDensity=0.25;MountainGrassDensity=0.001;SnowMountainGrassDensity=0.15;UnderwaterObjectsDensity=0.6;SnowMountainsTreeDensity=0.01;TreeDensity=0.01;JungleTreeDensity=0.80;RedWoodTreeDensity=0.007;SnowTreeDensity=1.0;RedwoodGrassDensity=0.03;ShoreTreeDensity=0.001;SnowShoreTreeDensity=0.025;DeepWaterBiomesDepth=-0.20;InlandWaterObjectsDensity=0.5;ShorelineStartOffset=0.02;ShorelineThickness=0.005;TerrainScaleMultiplier=(X=3.0f,Y=3.0f,Z=1.0f);SnowBiomeLocation=(X=0.0f,Y=0.5f);RWForestBiomeLocation=(X=1.0f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);SouthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=1.0f);EastRegion1Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);EastRegion1End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3End=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f);WestRegion1Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.0f);WestRegion1End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3End=(X=0.25f,Y=1.0f)
PGMapName=1610291106

Here's another, very flat single landmass, but turning the entire map to redwoods biome

FLATredwoods.jpgFLATredwoods2.jpg

PGLastUsedSettings=MapSeed=161029;LandscapeRadius=1.0;Water Frequency=0.01;Mountains Frequency=0.01;Mountains Slope=1.0;MountainsHeight=1.0;Turbulence Power=0.001;Shore Slope=1.0;WaterLevel=-0.90;GrassDensity=1.0;JungleGrassDensity=0.30;ErosionIterations=100;OceanFloorLevel=-1.00;SnowBiomeSize=0.001;RWBiomeSize=1.0;MountainBiomeStart=-1.0;MountainsTreeDensity=0.01;JungleBiomeStart=-1.0;IslandBorderCurveExp=2.0;MaxSawnPointHeight=0.0;SnowGrassDensity=0.25;MountainGrassDensity=0.001;SnowMountainGrassDensity=0.15;UnderwaterObjectsDensity=0.6;SnowMountainsTreeDensity=0.01;TreeDensity=0.01;JungleTreeDensity=0.80;RedWoodTreeDensity=0.007;SnowTreeDensity=1.0;RedwoodGrassDensity=0.03;ShoreTreeDensity=0.001;SnowShoreTreeDensity=0.025;DeepWaterBiomesDepth=-0.20;InlandWaterObjectsDensity=0.5;ShorelineStartOffset=0.02;ShorelineThickness=0.005;TerrainScaleMultiplier=(X=3.0f,Y=3.0f,Z=1.0f);SnowBiomeLocation=(X=0.0f,Y=0.5f);RWForestBiomeLocation=(X=0.5f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);SouthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=1.0f);EastRegion1Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);EastRegion1End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3End=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f);WestRegion1Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.0f);WestRegion1End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3End=(X=0.25f,Y=1.0f)
PGMapName=1610291142

On 10/27/2016 at 5:02 AM, Wolfking913 said:

Also, what exactly is a map seed and how do they affect the PG Arks?

seed = base number for a random number generator to use - to put it simply

With the ark PG maps its used with a lot of the settings... without randomness you would always have the same straight or perfectly curved shores... all mountains would be the same shape and height... all trees would be the same exact spacing apart... so on and so fourth..

BUT Computers can not actually do true random numbers... only what looks like a random pattern of numbers. Using a starting 'seed' creates a random-looking sequence of numbers based on that number. 

This is why anyone using the same seed and settings will result in the same generated map.

12 minutes ago, Wolfking913 said:

Does anyone know what each seed actually does?

4 hours ago, 2CrazyGaming said:

seed = base number for a random number generator to use - to put it simply

With the ark PG maps its used with a lot of the settings... without randomness you would always have the same straight or perfectly curved shores... all mountains would be the same shape and height... all trees would be the same exact spacing apart... so on and so fourth..

BUT Computers can not actually do true random numbers... only what looks like a random pattern of numbers. Using a starting 'seed' creates a random-looking sequence of numbers based on that number. 

This is why anyone using the same seed and settings will result in the same generated map.

Edit 11/12/16

Important note on Island Border Curve:

I have not been able to get this same effect (larger land mass) with the recent update.

Hello, not sure if you are planning to cover this... from your screenshots, I suspect you already know how this setting works, but I accidentally created Pangaea (one large landmass) fiddling around with settings.

The magic setting for this is Island Border Curve:  the higher this number is, the larger the land mass(es).  The upwards practical limit appears to be around 99, as you start hitting the limit of where the land "can" be, and start getting odd effects.

The lower limit is 1.  When I put a decimal in, I was on an all-water map.  1 gave me two... very small.... islands.  That's it.

Here's the screenshot showing the map of Pangaea (I didn't go all the way around, but you can see the mass of land behind the map):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791295127

(not liking my inserting images from Steam; I'll figure that out after sleep)

Some of the "odd effects":

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791295085

Please note this was with an outrageously high Island Border Curve.  I backed it down until I found the upper limit.

You can still run into the border even at 99, but it's not so obvious.  You can see the edge of the land border in this screenshot:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791295182

You also get less land the higher your Water Frequencies setting... and more smaller islands.  So a Water Frequency below 1 (e.g. 0.5) will have less other islands and such.  One over 1 will have a few smaller islands somewhere.

I got a swamp-like effect by just raising the water level to 0.8 or so.  Then you can get these really cool tidal swamps:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791295158

.... yeah, that whole area was full of rocks and green vegetation under the water...

I got a decent Pangaea map with these settings (I picked this seed because it's easy to remember... :P )

PGTerrainPropertiesString=MapSeed=8675309;LandscapeRadius=1.0;Water Frequency=0.5;Mountains Frequency=5.0;Mountains Slope=.75;MountainsHeight=1.0;Turbulence Power=0.0125;Shore Slope=2.5;WaterLevel=-0.85;GrassDensity=1.0;JungleGrassDensity=0.02;ErosionIterations=20000;OceanFloorLevel=-1.0;SnowBiomeSize=0.3;RWBiomeSize=0.075;MountainBiomeStart=0.5;MountainsTreeDensity=0.01;JungleBiomeStart=.15;IslandBorderCurveExp=90;MaxSawnPointHeight=0.0075;SnowGrassDensity=0.25;MountainGrassDensity=0.05;SnowMountainGrassDensity=0.15;UnderwaterObjectsDensity=0.5;SnowMountainsTreeDensity=0.01;TreeDensity=0.003;JungleTreeDensity=0.66;RedWoodTreeDensity=0.35;SnowTreeDensity=1.0;RedwoodGrassDensity=0.1;ShoreTreeDensity=0.05;SnowShoreTreeDensity=0.025;DeepWaterBiomesDepth=-0.24;InlandWaterObjectsDensity=0.5;ShorelineStartOffset=0.01;ShorelineThickness=0.001;TerrainScaleMultiplier=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f,Z=1.0f);SnowBiomeLocation=(X=0.2f,Y=0.2f);RWForestBiomeLocation=(X=0.5f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);SouthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=1.0f);EastRegion1Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);EastRegion1End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3End=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f);WestRegion1Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.0f);WestRegion1End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3End=(X=0.25f,Y=1.0f)

Sorry for the links.  I haven't figure out how to get screenshots to play nice with this forum... :( (I think I'm done editing for screenshots now...).

Hope folks find this helpful...

Erosion settings - general info:

Warning: a 0 in these settings can result in a waterworld!

You can think of the three settings like this:

1. Step: How many times (years?) did rain fall?
  2. Strength:  How heavy was each rainfall? or, How much did each rainfall wash away?
  3. Deposition:  How much of what eroded got deposited downhill?

So, Step is how many times it erodes.  Strength is how much it erodes each time.  Deposition is how big are the piles ("deposits"... "deposit"-ion) that the erosion makes as it runs off.

Step and Strength are very much dependent on each other, as they appear to be applied together.  You can probably get maps with very similar effects if you increase steps and reduce strength, but I haven't tested this.

Note on range numbers listed: because Step and Strength work together, you could go outside these ranges if the other number were extreme in one direction.  For example, you could probably do a higher strength with a very low step, as those effects cancel each other out.  I did not test this, just with the "defaults" for the other settings--consider these numbers "good starting ranges" for your own experiments. :)

And a note on screenshots:  some of them are very extreme settings, or at the ends of available ranges, to clearly show the effect, and let you judge for yourself if you want that strong of an effect or not... Also, the effect will not be as strong on smaller hills/slopes or beaches beside smaller slopes.  This is to show what they look like on the mountain slopes (strongest effects) and also the mountain beaches (strongest beach effect).  You can still have perfectly smooth beaches on your flatter islands.

Some settings have a "reverse" setting as well:

Warning:  reverse or extreme settings can sometimes have odd effects.

1. Step: What did this look like before any erosion?
  2. Strength:  What does this look like reversing erosion?
  3. Deposition:  How much of this land was from previous deposits?

Erosion Steps

Effective Range:  0 to 20,000 (0 allowed) (the range could be larger, but at some point, it wraps:  a high enough positive number goes negative--I found this by accident, as the high number I entered got converted to negatives, but negatives I found are treated as 0)

Reverse effect: When set to 0, looks like it has reverse-eroded (ridges).  You can enter negative numbers, but they will show up as 0 in the config file.

In the "normal" mode, the bigger this number is, the more times/more "erosion effect" you see (more/deeper runoff trenches)--in tandem with strength.  In the reverse mode, it seems to grow mounds where it normally would erode off.  If you want "older" or more "groovy" mountains, set this number higher--but keep in mind that it works with strength, so a high step may require an increase in strength to get the effect you want.

Higher erosion also seems to "smooth out" transitions from high/low.  So for more easily traversed landscape, use a higher number.  For sharper contrasts, use a lower number.

Examples of normal erosion setting (20,000):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798773112

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798773133

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798773151

Examples of reverse erosion setting (0)--notice how we have "grown" "ridges" on the mountain slopes:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798779065

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798779083

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798779100

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798779126

Erosion Strength

Effective Range: 0 to 1.  You can go higher than 1, but you can get odd effects/unplayable landscape very quickly above that (by "unplayable", I mean it's impossible to run across the ground--I included some examples so you can judge for yourself).

Reverse effect:  Either reverses the erosion, or acts same as positive number.

In normal mode, the higher this is, the more your land is "eroded" with each step.  The reverse may be a backwards erosion (build up).  For deeper grooves, use a higher number.  For shallower, use a lower number.

Examples of strength -1 (note spires in last 2 shots):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798813035

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798813046

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798813059

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798813079

Examples of strength 0 (note spires in last 2 shots):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798808131

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798808151

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798808160

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798808173

Examples of strength 1:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798803453

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798803477

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798803493

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798803515

Examples of strength 2:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798799158

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798799174

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798799192

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798799210

Examples of strength 5 (not recommended), showing the "spire" effect when using extreme ranges:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790571

Examples of strength 5 (not recommended) showing effect on mountain slopes:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790588

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790604

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790626

Examples of strength 5 (not recommended) showing effect on shoreline/under the edge of water:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790689

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798790708

Erosion Deposition

Effective Range:  -1 to 1 (or -2 to 2), but not 0.  You can go higher than 1, but the landscape quickly becomes unplayable.  At 2, the terrain gets really bumpy.

Reverse effect: Pits/holes appear where erosion didn't happen.  Even at -1, these pits can be traps (and even deathtraps), where players cannot get out without assistance... and can even be filled with water, with unclimbable walls.  At least you can just drown yourself in those...

In "normal" mode, you will get mounds on the slopes of your higher lands, down to your beaches and into the start of your oceans:  the higher this number, the bigger the mounds on your lower slopes and beaches.  Reversing this (negative number) you get pits and holes on your lower slopes and beaches instead!

Example deposition setting 1:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741383

Example deposition setting 2:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741349

Example deposition setting above 2 (I think this was 5):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741314

Going higher just gets worse, you start getting "spires (I think this was 9):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741275

Example reverse deposition screenshot (-1 or -2)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741511

Closeup example reverse deposition screenshot (water filled hole) (-1 or -2):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=798741533

Putting it all together to get what you want

So, here are some example combinations that people might like, depending on what you want for terrain.  If you are looking for something else, please ask, and I'll see if I can help you find it...

For smooth, easily climbable mountains and mountain shores, use:

High erosion, low strength, low deposition

e.g.: 10,000, 0.01, 0.1 for these shots

Notice the beach in the last shot is perfectly smooth!  This will give you "weathered" mountain slopes, that are easy to climb, and not interfere with the beaches below:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799189823

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799189857

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799189894

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799189931

For moderately grooved/channelled slopes and shores use:

High erosion, low to moderate strength, low to moderate deposition.  

e.g.:  10,000, 0.35, 0.35 for these shots.  

More deposition will have greater impact on your shores.  Use a higher strength to get deeper grooves.  Use less steps if you want sharper up/down.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799228183

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799228235

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799228279

For difficult PVE terrain, with pitfalls to get trapped, and hard slopes, use:

low erosion and high strength and negative deposition

e.g. 10, 0.75, -0.5 for these shots.  

Notice the rough terrain hidden in the jungle and big holes in the beaches!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239324

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239362

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239517

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239429

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239717

Settings used for screenshots:

The mountain I used was at roughly 70/20 on all these maps (they were all exactly the same for the lay of the land; just erosion varied):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799239592

I used the following settings for all screenshots, only modifying the one erosion setting (unless otherwise noted), with the other erosion settings at the defaults (step 4, strength 0.75, depostion 0.5):

PGTerrainPropertiesString=MapSeed=8675309;LandscapeRadius=1.0;Water Frequency=0.3;Mountains Frequency=4;Mountains Slope=0.75;MountainsHeight=1.25;Turbulence Power=0.0125;Shore Slope=2;WaterLevel=-0.72;GrassDensity=1.0;JungleGrassDensity=0.02;ErosionSteps=4;TreesGroundSlopeAccuracy=0.5;DepositionStrength=0.00001;ErosionStrength=0.75;OceanFloorLevel=-1.0;SnowBiomeSize=0.3;RWBiomeSize=0.075;MountainBiomeStart=0.25;MountainsTreeDensity=0.01;JungleBiomeStart=-0.9;IslandBorderCurveExp=32;MaxSawnPointHeight=0.005;SnowGrassDensity=0.25;MountainGrassDensity=0.05;SnowMountainGrassDensity=0.15;UnderwaterObjectsDensity=0.5;SnowMountainsTreeDensity=0.01;TreeDensity=0.003;JungleTreeDensity=0.66;RedWoodTreeDensity=0.35;SnowTreeDensity=1.0;RedwoodGrassDensity=0.1;ShoreTreeDensity=0.05;SnowShoreTreeDensity=0.025;DeepWaterBiomesDepth=-0.24;InlandWaterObjectsDensity=0.5;ShorelineStartOffset=0.025;ShorelineThickness=0.01;MountainGeneralTreesPercent=0.1;TerrainScaleMultiplier=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f,Z=1.0f);SnowBiomeLocation=(X=0.2f,Y=0.2f);RWForestBiomeLocation=(X=0.5f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);NorthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.0f);NorthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);SouthRegion1Start=(X=0.25f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion1End=(X=0.416f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion2Start=(X=0.416f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion2End=(X=0.582f,Y=1.0f);SouthRegion3Start=(X=0.582f,Y=0.5f);SouthRegion3End=(X=0.75f,Y=1.0f);EastRegion1Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.0f);EastRegion1End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.333f);EastRegion2End=(X=1.0f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3Start=(X=0.75f,Y=0.666f);EastRegion3End=(X=1.0f,Y=1.0f);WestRegion1Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.0f);WestRegion1End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.333f);WestRegion2End=(X=0.25f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3Start=(X=0.0f,Y=0.666f);WestRegion3End=(X=0.25f,Y=1.0f)

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2016 at 10:27 PM, 2CrazyGaming said:

Keep in mind:

• most (if not all) settings are LIMITS for the generator to use, NOT exact measurements.
  • work in small increments - sometimes a change of 0.01 on some settings will make a MAJOR change in the look of a map.
  • some settings will effect the results of other settings...
  • i recommend starting in solo mode with low settings, then adjust your map one setting at a time until you know how each setting effects your resulting map. This way if you see strange results you can go back and know which setting caused it.

Settings covered below so far:

0. Seed

1. WaterLevel & OceanFloorLevel
  2. DeepWaterBiomesDepth
  3. ShorelineStartOffset & ShorelineThickness
  4. MountainsHeight **UPDATE** & Mountains Frequency
  5. Mountains Slope
  6. Water Frequency
  7. JungleBiomeStart & MountainBiomeStart
  8. LandscapeRadius
  9. ErosionIterations
  10. MaxSawnPointHeight

I will expand and update this for all the settings as i go.

0. Seed:

seed = base number for a random number generator to use (to put it very simply)

With the ark PG maps a 'seed' is used in a random number generator, in combination with the other settings, to generate a 'random' or natural looking map. Without randomness you would always have the same straight or perfectly curved shores... all mountains would be the same shape and height... all trees would be the same exact spacing apart... so on and so fourth.. not very natural and pretty boring in my opinion.

BUT Computers can not actually do true random numbers... only what looks like a random pattern of numbers. Using a starting 'seed' creates a random-looking sequence of numbers based on that number and it will ALWAYS be the same sequence of numbers with that specific 'seed'.

This is why anyone using the same seed and settings will result in the same natural looking generated map.

1. WaterLevel & OceanFloorLevel:

PGARK WaterLevel and OceanFloorLevel.jpg

• Example ** OceanFloorLevel=-1.00WaterLevel=-0.98 ** distance between settings = 0.02 ** deepest oceans roughly 2 foundation WIDTHS deep
  • Example ** OceanFloorLevel=-1.00WaterLevel=-0.80 ** distance between settings = 0.20 ** deepest oceans roughly 20 foundation WIDTHS deep
  • NOTE ** The deeper the ocean... the less space you have above the water for mountains and such.
  • I recommend keeping OceanFloorLevel at -1.0 and working up from there. 

2. DeepWaterBiomesDepth:

PGARK DeepWaterBiomesDepth.jpg

• Deep water biome objects (large rocks and weeds) are pretty tall (0.20 or so). In the above example, those objects stick up out of the water around the shores. (neat effect)
  • Note ** If the biome setting in the above example was -0.01, the biome would start very close to the water surface. (weeds, rocks, oil, mosas, etc.. close to shore)
  • Note ** If the biome setting in the above example was -0.20, the biome would start at the OceanFloorLevel, in turn there would be no biome, no oil, and so on...

3. ShorelineStartOffset & ShorelineThickness:

PGARK ShorelineStartOffset and ShorelineThickness.jpg

• These settings determine your SHORE Biome
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.04 and ShorelineThickness=0.001 will make beaches wide & flat
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.04 and ShorelineThickness=0.04 will make 45 degree sloped shores
  • EXAMPLE ** ShorelineStartOffset=0.001 and ShorelineThickness=0.04 will make high cliff shores
  • Note ** ShorelineStartOffset is measured from water line, so larger offset = larger beach but smaller inland area
  • Note ** If ShorelineThickness is very small you will hear water splashing on a lot of the beach.

4. MountainsHeight & Mountains Frequency: **UPDATE**

PGARK MountainsHeight and Mountains Frequency.jpg

**UPDATE**

• MountainsHeight is the elevation limit to the highest mountain tops
  • Range = WaterLevel to 1.0
  • Mountains Frequency is roughly the number of peaks or high spots spread across the map
  • Note ** (TURBULENCE setting will vary and randomize Height and Frequency across the map - ill detail that setting later)

5. Mountains Slope

GUIDE_MtnSlope.jpg

• This effects the transition from land to mountain slope (also shape of mountain peaks)
  • 0.0 = vertical mountain slopes, cliffs + flat tops
  • 2.0 = smooth slopes, rolling hills
  • NOTE ** The image above shows the exact same map, seed, and settings EXCEPT for the Mountain Slope as shown in the image

6. Water Frequency

GUIDE_WaterFreq.jpg

• Roughly the number of dips or low spots spread across the map
  • NOTE ** The image above shows the exact same map, seed, and settings EXCEPT for the water frequency as shown in the image

7. JungleBiomeStart & MountainBiomeStart:

PGARK JungleBiomeStart and MountainBiomeStart.jpg

• (in the example image i had turned jungle tree density down, also the peak in the distance was the only place high enough to extend into the mountain biome.
  • Example ** if JungleBiomeStart in the above example were set to -0.50 (same as water level), all the grassland biome (on the right in image) would change to jungle
  • Example ** if MountainBiomeStart in the above example were set to -0.50 (same as water level), metal nodes and mountain spawns would extend all the way down to the shore
  • Note ** if MountainBiomeStart is set too high you will not find metal.
  • MountainBiomeStart also effects start elevation of Metal nodes in redwood biome and Obsidian nodes in snow biome.

8. LandscapeRadius:

PGARK LandscapeRadius.jpg

PGARK LandscapeRadius1.jpg

• *** Both the maps above use the EXACT same settings except for LandscapeRadius ***
  • NOTE ** With LandscapeRadius near and above 1.0 you may start seeing the edges of the land being cut by the map boundary. (see the image above)
  • THIS SETTING DOES NOT INCREASE THE MAP SIZE... ONLY THE LAND MASS UP TO THE MAP BOUNDARY

PGARK LandscapeRadiusClippingover1.jpg

• With LandscapeRadius above 1.0 you start to see an overlapping effect NOT an increase in land or map size.
  • again, THIS SETTING DOES NOT INCREASE THE MAP SIZE... ONLY THE LAND MASS UP TO THE MAP BOUNDARY

9. ErosionIterations:

• Controls overall smoothness of all land
  • 0 = no erosion, very smooth land, mountains, etc...
  • 1,000,000 = a lot of erosion, VERY bumpy land, mountains, etc...

10. MaxSawnPointHeight:

• Maximum height of land for characters to spawn into zones.
  • Range: WaterLevel to 1.0
  • Always make this greater than WaterLevel setting.
  • Example ** if MaxSawnPointHeight=1.0, characters will spawn in at any elevation from water to top of mountains
  • Example ** if MaxSawnPointHeight is only 0.01 greater than WaterLevel, characters will spawn close to shores, unless your maps land is extremely flat

MORE TO COME SOON... STAY TUNED!

Great guide dude but after messing around a bit I can't get my ocean biome stuff to stop appearing on the actual mainland. Any tips

Mick:

Listos:  the deepwater biome number is higher than your mainland numbers.

Look at the diagram in section 7.  This explains it, but it's not exactly obvious..

You have a range of -1.0 to 1.0 for the default/standard biomes.  They stack on each other.  That is to say, from highest to lowest:

• Mountain
  • Jungle
  • Grassland
  • Water
  • Deepwater

The "start" number you can configure is the first HEIGHT at which you can see that biome.  In other words, they are controlled almost exclusively through distance above or below "0".

"Water" is basically your dividing line between land/water.  Note that it doesn't have to be 0!

The Deepwater stuff spawns from -1.0 to whatever setting you list.  So, if the Deepwater setting is higher than the water setting, you can see the deepwater stuff on land.  For example, if you have water set at 0, and instead of making deepwater -0.8, you make it 0.8 (negative is below the 0 water setting, and positive is way above it), you can get deepwater stuff on land.

You basically want to make sure that whatever numbers you use, they range as above, or you may not have certain zones (or get weird results, like what you got).  Example:

• 0.6 Mountain
  • 0.4 Jungle
  • (Grassland may not have a setting but is whatever is leftover between Jungle and water)
  • -0.5 Water (notice the negative!)
  • -0.7 Deepwater

This would give you very large grasslands areas (basically from -0.5 to 0.4, or almost half the vertical range), with mountains areas only on the higher peaks (only those that get above 0.6).  It would also have shallower water, which is mostly deepwater.

What you may have done:

• 0.6 Mountain
  • 0.4 Jungle
  • (Grassland may not have a setting but is whatever is leftover between Jungle and water)
  • -0.5 Water (notice the negative!)
  • 0.7 Deepwater (notice the missing negative!)

This would make the Deepwater biome extend from -1.0 , through and exceeding the -0.5 water dividing line, and all the way up to 0.7, which would overlap ALL OTHER Biomes, including mountains.

Hope this helps!

Archived