Diary of an Anky Breeder

Cymas

Server: Unofficial, The Island map, limited mods.

Rates: Taming speed 4x Egg hatch speed 5x Baby mature speed 9x Difficulty 5.0

Resources

Blank Breeding Spreadsheets (designed by myself): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10WM6lOdpbcKeK3DDOUc6IC5P48yWR3Y-dyYjfbMTz-A/edit?usp=sharing

Pre-project:

The community vote has gone favorably; we will be increasing server difficulty to 5.0 to match officials. Excellent. Since levels are pointless right now, will hunt for animals to begin a color morph.

Tamed: 2 female ankys with targeted black color regions, Tephra and Tufa. Color regions are hard to identify on ankys, reconsidering project viability.

Friday, October 21

Finally! With patch 248 wiping our ini file, was able to convince the technical admin to apply the 5.0 difficulty override while restoring our server settings. Never thought I’d be happy the devs accidentally wiped something. Server also received a courtesy dino wipe to spawn the new levels in.

Hunting success! While not actively looking for them, found a 145 male anky. Tamed. Lapilli doesn’t have any really standout stats but I need to start somewhere.

Saturday, October 22

While continuing the mad taming spree with my tribe to replace our now outdated tames and grab some of the new animals, I came across another 145 male anky. Igneous has even fewer standout stats, but is more well rounded overall.

Found a 135 female anky. Fiamme has one good stat and the highest carry weight of my current breeding stock. This pleases me.

Took a break from taming to breed Fiamme and Lapilli. Lucky egg; got everything I needed on the first try. It is a male though, which means getting stats passed from Igneous to 2nd gen Dacite will be a bit of a pain.

Bred Igneous and Tephra as well, but the result was unsatisfactory. The baby didn’t make it.

Tribemate found a 150 female anky. I had told him I wasn’t looking for more ankys right now when I need allos and brontos for my main projects, but who turns down a 150? Not me. Scoria’s pre-tame stats were so lackluster I considered waking her and sending her back to the wild, but I need females. I was rewarded with the highest base melee stat I’ve ever seen on a tame.

Bred Scoria and Igneous in hopes of a repeat of the day’s earlier successes. So close. Got every stat I needed, but the baby is a boy, which means he cannot be bred to Dacite. However, Tephra and Tufa have not produced any viable offspring yet, so I decide to keep Rhyolite to increase my chances of a female with the target stats.

Sunday, October 23

Started the morning with a fresh breed of Rhyolite and Tephra. The baby was female and had 2 stats, but lacked melee. She did not survive.

Battled the darkness, a blizzard, and a large group of direwvoles, argents, and even a rex to acquire my next anky, yet another 145 male. I have one unpaired female left to partner him with, should his stats prove worthy. Pre-tame view shows very little of note, but I've been surprised before.

It's as I feared. He does not have any useful breeding stats. He has an interesting color, but will try to sell him in the meantime.

I dislike the snow but I can't argue with the results. Another northern expedition netted another anky, a 140. Male, of course. This one has significantly more potential than the last, but we'll see what he does.

My hunch proved prophetic. New addition Felsite has rolled high in weight and will be paired with Tufa to hopefully pass his stats on to a daughter, as I am now officially out of pairable females.

Felsite bred true with Tufa, producing female Breccia. This is excellent progress.

Had a bit of a scare with Breccia earlier, but all is well now. As a newly grown adult, she has paired with Dacite and produced her first egg. Hatching is scheduled for tomorrow, if all goes well.

I know the frustrations of breeding very well. This project has so far been incredibly easy compared to the struggle I've had with my "Indominous Allos", which are still very far from completion. At one point I had easily 20+ allos until I went back and cleaned up all the "retired" breeders, and now that I have perfect color morphs I get to work in stats.

I would question why anyone wants oxy on a ptera though, since they literally can't go underwater. Unless it's just for show and inheriting that stat would push it past a particular milestone like 300+ base or something.

Haven't decided how far I'm willing to go on these ankys, they're more of a side project that happens to be incredibly useful, and with neutering in I can actually sell them too.

Hah, sounds about right. I like to pop my eggs early as well since I tend to kill off a lot of the babies anyway.

Did you find a point where the diminishing returns made it not worth it to try to take the project any further? I've been thinking that around base 300 is probably the best I can reasonably expect, give or take 10 levels or so.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

Hah, sounds about right. I like to pop my eggs early as well since I tend to kill off a lot of the babies anyway.

Did you find a point where the diminishing returns made it not worth it to try to take the project any further? I've been thinking that around base 300 is probably the best I can reasonably expect, give or take 10 levels or so.

Eventually I hit a point where the only way to improve my hatches was to tame 150s and hope for those rare crazy high stat rolls.

Fortunately, I had the kibble production flowing smoothly, but I was trying to tame two or more 150s a day, usually unclaiming them as soon as they stand up, when I realize their stats add nothing to my tree

EDIT: if you'ryou're cracking around 300, not sure how much more you can expect to push it, 50 points into a stat (after TE) is a long shot, but that's what you ought to aim for in new additions to late-gen breeding

7 hours ago, Jamagh said:

I remember a guy on 374 trying for months to breed this one ptera. The oxygen stat would just not transfer over. Every time that he could breed him, he would. I think he ended up just giving up at one point. 6 months later.

I succeeded where he failed. :) Too bad my entire breeding stock is now useless. I don't even feel like starting over.

Thank you very much for confirming that, Dewey. I've been looking everywhere to find the practical max I should aim for in breeding, as we just hit 5.0 on our server. I knew 40 pts was about the best on 120, but wasn't sure on 150. Actually, one of my high rolls is currently 50+, which is nice. In the near future I do plan on making a public version of my breeding sheets for others to follow along. I know my tribemates found it helpful to "see" it on paper, so much that they asked me for blank copies of my breeding spreadsheets to use for their own projects.

Nim, I know the feeling. I actually "wasted" about half of my allo project because I started it before 5.0 dropped. So all of the "high stat" allos I had gathered are now basically useless. Oh well, at least I got my color morphs out of it.

4 minutes ago, Cymas said:

Thank you very much for confirming that, Dewey. I've been looking everywhere to find the practical max I should aim for in breeding, as we just hit 5.0 on our server. I knew 40 pts was about the best on 120, but wasn't sure on 150. Actually, one of my high rolls is currently 50+, which is nice. In the near future I do plan on making a public version of my breeding sheets for others to follow along. I know my tribemates found it helpful to "see" it on paper, so much that they asked me for blank copies of my breeding spreadsheets to use for their own projects.

Nim, I know the feeling. I actually "wasted" about half of my allo project because I started it before 5.0 dropped. So all of the "high stat" allos I had gathered are now basically useless. Oh well, at least I got my color morphs out of it.

It pays to check their wild stats when KO'd too, you can get a 50+ stat on the wild one, and pray the TE goes into the same stat, but that'll only happen once every couple dozen tames or so.

I always check pre- and post-tame, but I haven't yet found it especially helpful as a metric. That anky in my diary I planned to wake up and send back to the wild for being lackluster? She had my 50+ roll lol. Obviously past a certain point it becomes necessary, but I've rarely seen anything above the low 30s pre-tame, even on 140+. Probably my luck though, rng does not like me. And I do have a very small sample size so far.

Monday, October 24

Breccia and Dacite gifted me with a beautiful female ankylo with all of the stats she needed to inherit. Dacia is the first pure 3rd gen ever produced by this lab.

But why male ankys? Went on the hunt specifically for allos and brontos for my main projects and almost immediately stumbled across another 145 male. The life of an arketicist is hard. Unfortunately, his stats do not inspire confidence. But I’m still at the point where I’m willing to gamble in the hopes of a high roll, so let’s see what he does.

My gamble paid off beyond my wildest imagination. Anorthite, who had not much of anything pre-tame, has a whopping 62 points in melee. That last night’s work is almost rendered obsolete does not bother me at all. He can pair with Dacia when she grows up later in the day.

Next acquisition is a 140 female. Two stats of highest potential would be useful for the ongoing build, so fingers crossed for a favorable outcome.

Unfortunately, close but no cigar. 2 points away from being useful. Will try to sell this one as well, or use as a pivot later.

Bred Dacia and Anorthite; no luck. The baby had only 2 of the target stats. Can’t win ‘em all.

Decided to devote the rest of my time to further preparations.

Wednesday, October 26

Bred Dacia and Anorthite again. Results were poor; will try again tomorrow.

Dacia and Anorthite had unusually short timers today; after being summoned back on by a tribemate who found a bronto for one of my other projects, I checked up on them and discovered they were off cooldown. Bred them a second time and since I was incubating a bronto egg and not yet at the point where imprinting is a concern, decided to go ahead and hatch the new egg.

Unfortunately the results were no better. The baby did not survive.

As to pictures, if you know what an anky looks like then you know what I’m working with. I haven’t done any specific color breeding yet and my stats are not that impressive yet. I also don’t tend to keep my “retired” breeding animals. I will of course be happy to share pictures of the finished project once I am satisfied with it.

One of my tribe mate has been doing an argent breeding project, luckly we are on the center so had the 150 dinos already, he finaly got his  best stat pair, but i think at one point he sent his swarm of failed our outdated breeding partners on aggressive on carno island and there was over 30 of them.  They eventually died valiantly finding a wild giga and he is busy hatching his generation of super argents.  All around 285 for level but only really bred for weight, stamina, melee and health. 

We didnt actually calculate how many points any of them had into a wild stat though just kept taming more and and keeping the ones with the highest base of each stat. 

The highest base melee stat I have right now is 410.3 from Anorthite.

I also track both the actual values and the points. It's just easier on the spreadsheet for formatting if I use points since I can do that across the board for all species.

Thursday, October 27

While on the hunt for the elusive high level allosaurus, I plucked a 140 female anky from the edge of the snow. She was actually accompanied by a 130 female companion, but I decided against going back for her.

I have hope that she will be able to help beef up one of my weaker areas.

As it turns out, she did. Not by much, and still far short of my target, but I am pleased nonetheless.

With my kibble stock beginning to run low, I suspended my other hunts to tame new dilos for egg production. My tribe removed our previous dilo herd, having reasoned that no one needed any new ankys. Obviously, that was before I started this project.

So I began my hunt and if you’ve been following along, you can probably guess what I found. If you said wild 145 male anky, you would be correct. Ark has a strange sense of humor. I checked my logs and that is the 5th such specimen I’ve captured.

The good news is, new male Clast has a new high roll to add to my build. The bad news is, his high roll invalidates the 140 female I tamed right before him.

Based on current pairings, I will need a “pivot”, that is I will need to breed him in hopes of passing his target stat onto a female in order to pair with Rhyolite who despite all of the new blood still holds one high roll. Fortunately, I now have 3 females with which I can attempt this, and have accordingly bred all 3 to him.

I have also bred Dacia and Anorthite again.

In an unfortunate turn of events, Dacia and Anorthite’s egg hatched triplets, with only one viable stat. None survived.

Tephra and Clast had better results, producing one baby girl with the stat she needed to pivot. The other eggs have been stowed away for now, as they are not needed.

Breeding is a fickle process even on the best of days. I count any day I get a keeper to be a good one.

Speaking of, young Hekla grew up early enough in the evening that I decided to go ahead and breed her to Rhyolite. I only need 2 stats from this pairing. We'll see what we get.

Hekla and Rhyolite bred true, producing a baby boy, Edenite. Just for an idea of where I am now, he has two of my high stat rolls and is level 238.

@kortniechan you have no idea how much I appreciate your generous offer. I’m not sure if I can quite swing a second server yet; possibly after season 2, which I am currently playtesting a dry run of to determine viability.

In the meantime, I do have something for you and, well, anyone else who enjoys breeding and reads this thread. It’s a little bit incomplete but I went ahead and made a public version of the breeding spreadsheets I designed for my own projects. Until this very post only myself and my tribemates had access to them.

The link (which will be added to the first post): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10WM6lOdpbcKeK3DDOUc6IC5P48yWR3Y-dyYjfbMTz-A/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you all find them useful! If you have any questions about using them feel free to ask; I tried to make it intuitive, but considering how familiar I am with the sheets, not sure if I really succeeded.

Friday, October 28

With Fear Evolved 2 in full swing on the server, projects are at a minimum.

Bred Dacia and Anorthite.

Issued another red text alert to my tribemates.

Better luck tomorrow.

Saturday, October 29

This is the frustrating part about breeding. I've noticed some pairings will produce viable offspring immediately, while others might not pop a nice egg for days or longer. Patience is definitely a requirement when doing high level breeding.

Will try again tomorrow.

A spino breeder, I like you already. :) Spinos are my favorite Ark animal. Before our server wiped I had just started getting into breeding them, had around 20 spinos myself at any given time. Sadly we were not allowed to bring any animals with us upon wiping so I lost them all.

I definitely plan to get back into that, I never got to finish even one spino color morph, and I had many planned. Right now though, we just don't have the space. I'm currently breeding ankys, allos, brontos and quetz. One tribemate is breeding tapejara, raptors, terror birds and elk. My other tribemate is breeding argents. My last tribemate is doing a different allo color morph from mine. We have a very busy hatchery, and a very full project pen lol.

Sunday, October 30

Even the most dedicated arketicists need a break once in awhile.

Monday, October 31

Bred Dacia and Anorthite. A lovely baby girl, sadly missing a critical stat inheritance. She did not survive.

The rest of the day was spent at the server’s Halloween festival.

Tuesday, November 1

Not even close.

Sigh.

In other news, I am making progress on my allo project, so there’s that.

Wednesday, October 2

Bred Dacia and Anorthite. No luck. There’s a reason why we plan to upgrade our hatchery to metal.

Thursday, October 3

Bred Dacia and Anorthite. One stat short.

With breeding flagging and Fear Evolved 2 well past its peak of interest, I set off to secure new blood for my lines. While I did not encounter any worthwhile new ankys, we were graced with a 150 bronto, 145 tapejara and 150 argent all at the same time. Trying to tame 3 animals when it’s just you and one tribemate requires some creativity, but we got it done.

Archived