. . . Well he asked for it

Rancor

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, vonholtz said:

And people wounder why I play single player. The internet killed courteous in most people. sad is it. :S

The only problem I have with single player (other then having to edit a bunch of settings to make things like breeding and spoiling meat manageable) is that the wild dinos are not really a threat after a certain point. No threats lead to little motivation :/ Its like owning a Giga xD

4 minutes ago, Rancor said:

The only problem I have with single player (other then having to edit a bunch of settings to make things like breeding and spoiling meat manageable) is that the wild dinos are not really a threat after a certain point. No threats lead to little motivation :/ Its like owning a Giga xD

Yep that Why I have been playing Scorched Earth. Walking around with a max tame Rex is not 100% safe. There is a 86 level alpha Wyvren flying around my map right now. And there are a few place with 2 to 3 Rock golems in close range to each other. 

15 minutes ago, mronemanmob said:

It looks easy to assume who has done something wrong here, the picture however lacks context and proof.  Anyone could have placed that there and provoked or lead the conversation to look the way it does.  It is unlikely, but this could be a set up.

We have it on video as well. 

Edit: But I can't blame you for your skepticism. 

You will have better luck wiping the DireWolf, W/C doesn't remove stuff from what I have seen and instead asks them. One GM came into our server and deleted some boats but left another pool full of them and left my buddies behemoth gate open and a freakin giga waltzed right in. (true story)

Lol Oh W/C

@DaGoodNamesWereTaken Their customer service is definitely mixed. Had one WC GM pull our Giga our from under the map after submitting a report and then had a reply from a second report, of a perfect tame rex that dropped into the snow biomes underworld, say that WC doesn't help with those sorts of things ha ha  

Rough luck on your pals base though :/ GG 

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

You will have better luck wiping the DireWolf, W/C doesn't remove stuff from what I have seen and instead asks them.

If that were the case then one certain tribe would not have made such a huge fuss on the steam forums about their base being deleted for having made use of terrain bypassing exploits to build turrets under the level.

8 hours ago, mronemanmob said:

It looks easy to assume who has done something wrong here, the picture however lacks context and proof.  Anyone could have placed that there and provoked or lead the conversation to look the way it does.  It is unlikely, but this could be a set up.

Your right. But if you look at the in game chat. The person dose not deny it there. they say report him. I for one would be deny it if it was not mine. 

12 hours ago, vonholtz said:

Your right. But if you look at the in game chat. The person dose not deny it there. they say report him. I for one would be deny it if it was not mine. 

Yes that is the part that can be "assumed".  The top part of the conversation is not visible and your mind is placing what it wants to see based on the presentation of the picture.  I do believe that the picture is legit, I'm just offering an opportunity for people to look at things in different ways.  Use your imagination to place a different "top conversation". 

20 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

You will have better luck wiping the DireWolf, W/C doesn't remove stuff from what I have seen and instead asks them. One GM came into our server and deleted some boats but left another pool full of them and left my buddies behemoth gate open and a freakin giga waltzed right in. (true story)

Lol Oh W/C

I know first hand that they DO remove items.  We had a tribe that was leaving / sporadically playing on our server build foundations throughout the entire caldera of the volcano.  Then they took ALL of their dinosaurs and placed them up there to block people from moving around.  I reported the abuse, and while it took a while because they wanted to communicate with the tribes players, they deleted EVERY building and dinosaur that the tribe had on the server.

About a week after that happened one of their players logged on, said DILO in chat and then logged off.  

23 hours ago, Dawg711 said:

It is sad that WC had to make so many of these common sense rules. Worse is the fact that some continue to do it regardless of being told not to. Common sense rules like dont break the game for others should be just that common sense.

Instead of making rules that require some sort of support, how about making those areas that you're not supposed to build on unable to be built on.  Then you don't need rules.  You've solved the problem by making it impossible to place any actual built materials there.  It's not rocket science.  Players will always troll other players, regardless of how the server itself operates.  So if you know this is going to happen, why not take that opportunity away.

That to me seems like common sense from a development stance, and WC has missed the boat on that.

2 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

Instead of making rules that require some sort of support, how about making those areas that you're not supposed to build on unable to be built on.  Then you don't need rules.  You've solved the problem by making it impossible to place any actual built materials there.  It's not rocket science.  Players will always troll other players, regardless of how the server itself operates.  So if you know this is going to happen, why not take that opportunity away.

That to me seems like common sense from a development stance, and WC has missed the boat on that.

I could be mistaken but I think WC set the rules up to start to resolve the issue. The coding you speak of takes some time. They are trying to finish the game here. I dont think they expected that people can not play the game fairly. Who could have seen that coming. Also if they do as you suggest then that means that server owners are forced to adhere to this rule? Do you think they will see that as fair? So WC needs to find a way to fix this issue but still give the choice to the other server owners. Therefore it may not be rocket science but the solution can not be done overnight. In the mean time great deal of people will likely just get banned from the game. Then they will need to seek a server not using that ban list or play SP. In the end only those that continue to play unfairly are affected.

20 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

I agree with everything you're saying here.  Not to mention the "rules" aren't posted anywhere in game.  People are supposed to "just know" them.  I know they are posted here but that doesn't help anyone "in-game".  Some people are using strategies that are brilliant and unintentionally breaking "un-posted rules".

Just now, Dawg711 said:

I could be mistaken but I think WC set the rules up to start to resolve the issue. The coding you speak of takes some time. 

Gotcha.  So it takes some time to solve an issue plaguing several of your servers including your newest cluster server, but feel free to keep coding all those new dinosaurs that you need in the game while players keep leaving the servers because they're unable to actually manage the core components of the game.  Cmon man.  We're not talking about someone building on Beaver spawn's here and ruining beaver dams.  We're talking about someone fundamentally locking down and entire transfer server.  That's a massive game play issue, and it should be a focus for them.  If they can't fix issues in the game and publish the game on time, well then they have a real issue.

2 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

I dont think they expected that people can not play the game fairly. Who could have seen that coming. 

Have you ever played an online game before?  Based on your answer here I would say no.  I've been playing online in MMORPG's and what not with a player base since the mid 1990's and players will ALWAYS troll other players.  The easiest way to do so it to take away core components of the game.  The spires are the ONLY method by which you can transfer dinosaurs.  If that's not the first place they'll go it's the second after either putting foundations or pillars around their base to stop progress.  Simply put, as a game developer you have to be able to predict with some accuracy those things that will be done.  It's like running a Minecraft server and not having the spawn area on your server protected.  Players will destroy it.  It's that simple.  People will be ass hats.  Trust in that, think about how best to prevent it and be in front of the issues.  That's what a good game developer does.

5 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

If they do as you suggest then that means that server owners are forced to adhere to this rule? 

I don't care what private server owners do.  I'm talking about publicly operated servers in the official server list operated by WildCard.  I think that was pretty clear, but just in case that's what I'm talking about here.  Not to mention, last time I checked a server owner has administrative privileges and can do whatever they want.  That means that they don't have to adhere to that, because they own the server.

7 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Do you think they will see that as fair? 

Life's not fair.  Fairs are in August and have rides and animals.  Additionally, a single tribe locking down 3 plus servers isn't what the design of the game was about.  Simply put, rules are put in place because people can't behave.  If rules / laws were the sole detractor in people doing bad things then murder, Unicorn and other assorted major crimes would have stopped because they're against the law.  The rules clearly state that building any sort of building on the obelisks is not allowed yet it's still happening.  I don't understand how your stance of "it's not fair" even remotely holds any water.  

Lets not forget that individual server owners already have the ability to block transfers so explain to me again why you need to build on the obelisks blocking transfers?

10 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

So WC needs to find a way to fix this issue but still give the choice to the other server owners. Therefore it may not be rocket science but the solution can not be done overnight. 

They have this amazing thing ... it's called a .ini.  They put flags in there for server owners all the time.  In fact, while all of this was happening they coded the entire Procedurally Generated Maps (PGM) function.  I'm pretty sure that they could have coded some form of a no build zone around obelisks rather than PGM's since one alters the entire gameplay of multiple servers, while PGM's are a nicety that's added to the game.  Furthermore, no where in my comments have I stated that I expected them to solve this overnight.  To be clear, I've stated repeatedly, I just expected them to be smarter.  Not miracle workers.  WildCard Studios has shown that they're slow to change and fast to install more.  That's got to end at some point.  The label of "Game Preview" is going to end soon.  Then what are they going to hide behind as their reasoning for slow customer service and server administration?  In my opinion this game is going to release.  When the game releases there needs to be some standard as to how grievances will be settled.  Those grievances will vary, having said that, building on the obelisks isn't a grievance.  It's a flaw in the games design.  

16 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

In the mean time great deal of people will likely just get banned from the game. 

At the expense of players who are just tired of having to deal with the monotony of people just being nothing more than trolls.  It's a simple concept.  Players want to get on and do what they do and have fun.  No one wants to have people limiting the options to utilize the servers functionality.  Cluster servers are about the ability to transfer, and a single tribe blocking this flies in the face of the servers are about.  You cannot have players overriding the companies intent.  It's that simple.

18 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

Then they will need to seek a server not using that ban list or play SP.

Again you're referencing privately owned servers.  They can do whatever they want on there.  That's a totally different world and a different leadership running that server.  I'm referencing the publicly consumed servers owned by WCS.  

19 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

In the end only those that continue to play unfairly are affected.

This is a myopic view and shows zero forethought.  Everyone who cannot use that function is severely affected.  When a player blocks the ability to transfer dinos the entire server is affected.  While the populous of the server at some point will be able to use it if / when it's repaired, that entire time it's blocked they're unable to utilize the functionality.  In my experience it takes weeks to be able to get these things resolved.  That's weeks of game play hindered by something that could very easily be controlled at the server side level of the game.  

It's not rocket science.  Block building on the obelisks.  Problem solved.

So then the argument here is that not only is WC responsible for making the game but they also need to hold the hands of the players on the servers they they generously supply? As for posting the rules, well it is not like the rules are not considered common sense or even RESPECT for your fellow players. Would you like it if I was keeping you from using a part of any game? Of course you would not.

As for play other MP games yes I run my own servers and I deal with cheaters swiftly. They get a warning then I ban them. End of issue. Perhaps that is what will happen here. If you do not already understand that the supply drops are not there just for you. You have some serious issues with Common sense and respect.

40 minutes ago, Dawg711 said:

So then the argument here is that not only is WC responsible for making the game but they also need to hold the hands of the players on the servers they they generously supply?

I like the little underhanded tone here.  But I'll respond anyway.  Yes they're responsible for making the game.  Yes they're responsible for managing the servers that they have supplied.  That's how this works.  You say you've played games before, but you seem to not have a great grasp on how this works.  If you're making the game and providing players with an opportunity to play on publicly run servers then you're responsible for mediating the conflicts that arise on them.  That's what GOOD companies do.

As for posting the rules, well it is not like the rules are not considered common sense or even RESPECT for your fellow players.

Common sense isn't common.  That's the first issue with your post.  Additionally, players that unknowingly break the rules are few and far between.  Players who build on the obelisk clearly know that they're blocking the obelisk to create a throttle on transfers.  Players who build in the caldera of the volcano are purposefully attempting to control the amount of gold available on the map.  Let's not chalk this up to some sort of arbitrary accident where a player who is new to the game builds their house where one of the 5 beaver spawns are at on the southern part of the island.  

To use a correlation here, you get pulled over by a cop driving down the road.  

Cop:  Do you know why I pulled you over?
You: No sir.
Cop:  You were speeding.
You: My apologies officer.  There are no signs with a posted speed limit.
Cop:  They're not required to be posted.  You should know better .....

Doesn't work like that.  They put them out there because they're needed.  If you don't tell people that they cannot build there, while allowing them to build there, then you're a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.  Rather than having to tell them that they can't build there, just remove the option to build there.  Then there will never be a discussion about whether or not you can build on the obelisk.

As for your comment about respecting other players.  That's laughable.  Log onto a public server and play a good amount of time on them.  You'll find that people have zero respect for other players.  Why?  Well in my opinion it's because their identity is hidden.  There are no repercussions for saying something to someone because they don't have any idea who you are.  Public servers are the wild west.  There is zero actual enforcement of any rules on them.  Yes this is probably a bit over the top, but it's appearance is accurate.  Tribes / players just run all over others and it takes weeks to get something resolved.  

Would you like it if I was keeping you from using a part of any game? Of course you would not.

Nope.  I'd be frustrated.  If I put in a ticket and it took weeks even months to handle I'd go from frustrated to disenfranchised.  That's exactly the point I'm attempting to portray to you here.  You're of the opinion that Wild Card doesn't need to manage their customer base, and I'm of the opinion that it's their responsibility on servers that they offer to the public.  If they don't want to offer up servers, then do like Mojang did and give "EVERYONE" the opportunity to host them.  As the game sits with its current development only PC users have the option to rent a server.  Xbox One users must buy an entirely new XBox One to host a server.

As for play other MP games yes I run my own servers and I deal with cheaters swiftly. They get a warning then I ban them. End of issue. Perhaps that is what will happen here. If you do not already understand that the supply drops are not there just for you. You have some serious issues with Common sense and respect.

Ahhh the lack of comprehension on your part.  I'm not talking about beacons.  I'm talking about obelisks.  Learn to read for comprehension not just to respond.  As for your reference to members locking up beacons, that's a classically funny response.  You're saying they're not there for me while hinting at the stance that if you build a house to get it that they're only for you.  Hypocritical much?

Archived