Dedicated server question before hosting

I am curious if anyone has any Internet speed requirement info. I am interested in hosting my own dedicated server to help players with the always full Official server nonsense, but am unsure if I can really handle it. I have decent download but it's the upload I am most worried about.

I am also trying to figure out more concretely if you indeed need to purchase a second xbox live account and game or if you can game share and account share, as I have seen vague allusions that you can share, and others saying you need to buy a second account and game.

Sorry not sure if this helps but at my friends where we play he has 35mb internet speeds and we had 4 xbox's yesterday plus many wi fi devices running flawlessly plus 2 others on the server. 

You do need a second account though (xbox live) to host a dedicated server. And I'm not sure about game share but I purchased the game again.

I don't know how its exactly on Xbox. For Pc, the bandwith is client-side limited to 60kb/s  (Can be found on the options screen).

So if you have a 100 player server, then its 60kb/s x 100 = 6000kb/s. Converted this is 48Mbits.

But in reality, you never need 48Mbits because never all clients are using the full bandwith at the same time.

For my server with 30 players on it, its using about 1 to 1.5 Mbit upload speed.

I will concur with above information: You will need a second account as I understand it (about $60 a year but you can find it for cheaper sometimes). You likely can share the game "yourself/other account"; however, I bought another copy mainly to prevent any future issues (if sharing is restricted..though I doubt it will be) and also it supports the devs for this great game. I already had another Xbox so my investment was $95 or so to start the server. Granted the Xbox Live subscription is recurring so may be more depending on how long I run the server.

Archived