Server Cluster - Transfer in LAN not working

Waffeleisen

Hey,

it would be great if the devs could fix the problem, that you can't see your clustered servers when you try to transfer via LAN. I'm hosting a family server and everyone who connects public can transfer. There is just the problem, that it disconnects during transfer (password on server), but that is another problem. The transfer itself is done, when they try to connect on the target server. I can play and see my server in the browser window of the main menu. Please don't get me wrong. The transfer window, which is a feature of clustered server, is the one that isn't showing my servers. Unfortunately, uploading the whole survivor isn't an alternative, as this removes tribe memberships etc.
A connection over the external domain isn't possible, because my router doesn't support NAT hairpinning. I used tethering with my smartphone to be sure that this is a LAN problem. And like I thought, I can transfer between servers from the outside of my LAN with the same PC and Steam-ID. This is not a solution, of course.

Before I get answers like in the steam forums:

- Cluster, Ports (which aren't necessary in LAN btw) are set up correctly. Otherwise other players couldn't transfer!

Maybe useful to know: When I disconnect from my server after I tried to transfer and want to reconnect I have to set my server filters to favorites/LAN again because they reset to unofficial.

It would be really great, if the devs could fix missing LAN servers on the transfer list.

Best regards

Just to bump this, I have the same problem.

I have a 3 server cluster set up, and my users can use the transfer option no problem, but me on LAN whenever I try to use it it shows up blank.

Right now as a workaround I'm uploading everything to the oblisk on one server, then disconnecting, connecting to the server I want to play on, and downloading.  But it would be nice if it worked :D

Is it possible its the way you have your LAN networking setup?  TCP/IP is the same protocol whether routed out on the internet or routed internally on a LAN.  Are you all using a single box running the server twice or are you trying to use 2 seperate machines, each running a server then clustered together?

I would look into how your networking is setup.  Its extra fishy that it works for people outside on the internet, but not locally.

*edit*

Forgot to ask the OP, What do you mean Ports are not necessary in a LAN?  Each server instance most definitely has listening ports that need to be configured and be unique from each other.  Even if you assign each server instance a completely different IP address, you still have to configure the ports it listens on.  

If you are using NAT on your router, and your router has the only internet addressable IP address with your LAN having local only non-routable addresses then I bet its the way your local network is setup in conjunction with how the game and steam works.  You're router is passing packets out to the internet via NAT, but it doesn't NAT your local network and I bet its messin things up.

I'm only guessing though.  I don't run my servers locally so I can't sit and test for sure, but I've seen lots of other issues with game servers and other types of servers running from a home behind a standard home router/nat/firewall type device.  

mndfreeze - love the name :D

It is true that TCP/IP is the same on LAN as it is for other users coming into the network over the internet, however, there is one major difference.

For most users who connect to a server they use the IP address that the servers register with the steam server API.  For LAN connections is scans for servers on your local network.

My theory is that on LAN connections because the IP address you are connecting to doesn't match up with what the server is registering with the steam API is why it doesn't work.

I had that issue as well.  I would open the Obelisk select "travel to another ark", but nothing would show up.  Then I saw the "Show Password Protected" check box at the bottom left of the screen.  Checking that allowed my LAN server to show on the list.... 

Keep in mind that I believe travel between password protected servers is still a bit wonky... at least depending on the method you use to set it up.  You may want to consider using exclusive join instead.

For those having issues, check and see if your router has a "DMZ" option or some sort of 'outside the firewall' setting.  You might want to see if you can put your game server computer outside of your "lan" and into the internet facing side of your network.  This way people from the outside can still connect in, but your local network would then treat that server as not being on the LAN in the same way, and you would most likely have to use its internet routable address to connect to it.  Then you would be connecting to the same outside internet address everyone else is and maybe that wont confuse the steam API, if thats where the problem lies as ntengineer suggested.

Note, putting a computer OUTSIDE your firewall and local LAN security makes it a big fat target for exploits and other internet nonsense, so make sure you are careful and lock the box down if you do.

Also, thanks ntengineer. I'm rather fond of my name ;)

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2016 at 10:36 AM, McK1llen said:

Currently, all three servers in the cluster are open to the public.

I did have several people mentioned that disabling upnp on their router seemed to fix the issue for them. Unfortunately this wasn't a fix for our setup. Hopefully this can help someone else. =)

Coming into this conversation kind of late, but if you're still having problems I might be able to help depending on if you are a Linux user.

NAT hairpinning/loopback is exactly what you need to do, although it may be possible to configure iptables to MASQUERADE for you and get it working without all that.

• 9 months later...

Archived