opinions OPINIONS Procedurally Generated ARK!!

12 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

To be honest, ARK: Survival Evolve will be the last game in Early Access I've ever bought. Wildcard disappointed me so many times, postponed many features which would add more value to the game than "Oh gosh! Another shiny dinosaur to tame!". I'm currently getting rid off my tames on Official servers and this weekend I'd quit ARK for good. I might check game state if it is ever released from EA. But I doubt it would be ready before June 2017. 

Why would you sign up to be a alpha tester and then complain about being a alpha tester?

For your information I'm alpha tester since the game was released in EA. I was really enthusiastic about the project, but after 6 months I noticed developers had no idea where this project was going. There was no Road Map, which was promised in their Store Page on Steam. They kept releasing dinosaurs after dinosaurs, items, fixing bugs here and there, but there was little to none game changing features. Features which would make this game something more than build, tame, breed and repeat.  Then they played around side projects, like Survival Of The Fittest, (which is a total failure, playerbase number proves that), which shouldn't have been their priority to begin with. Allright, they claimed they have speperated team for that, but why not put those resources on main game? For example developers of Star Citizen focused on so many things at once that game is bunch of demos, half way done mechanics, not a proper game and it is still in deep alpha. This was the same case in ARK development in my opinion. I stopped care about reporting bugs, because they won't be fixed in reasonable time anyway. I reported the bug 6 months ago and guess what, they ignored it. I reported when you force feed Ovi it is stuck in eating animation and it's food rate is not being filled up, they didn't fix it. I do not see any progress in making ARK something more than grind fest. Thus I have enough.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:46 PM, ChampionARK said:

I saw there was a seed code where the settings are for PGA. Do you know if that works the same way as Minecraft? That you have a map that is awesome and I like to have the same one I just use that seed? Or maybe a different way of doing that. :)

Hey, I didn't see a response to this but if I missed it I'm sorry for duplicating.  This is exactly how it works.  It's how everything works that's PG.  It's simply an algorithm that uses a random number generator to base all of it's generated content off of.  Random Number generators that begin with the same seed generate the same sequence of numbers.  Meaning, if it runs through the same math from my xbox to your xbox using the same numbers, it will generate the same content.  It's really cool if you understand the math behind it and the programming logic.  To try and put it simply, imagine a formula that generates x,y,z positions of biomes.  Let's say it's x = a * 4, y = a * 13, z = a*1 where a = random number.  Obviously it's WAY more complex than that, but you see what I mean.  If the "seed" causes the random number sequence to be:  1,5,3,4,7,5,8,7 then the resulting output will always be the same for that seed.

Of course, they could always add in some other random seed that may skew the output, but I don't see that happening as it's very complex code to make sure that all content/biomes/caves/etc exist in all worlds and would be extremely difficult to do if there was some other randomizer throughout the math.  But hey, WC has surprised me before. ;) 

On 11/24/2016 at 9:53 AM, Lewiatan said:

For your information I'm alpha tester since the game was released in EA. I was really enthusiastic about the project, but after 6 months I noticed developers had no idea where this project was going. There was no Road Map, which was promised in their Store Page on Steam. They kept releasing dinosaurs after dinosaurs, items, fixing bugs here and there, but there was little to none game changing features. Features which would make this game something more than build, tame, breed and repeat.  Then they played around side projects, like Survival Of The Fittest, (which is a total failure, playerbase number proves that), which shouldn't have been their priority to begin with. Allright, they claimed they have speperated team for that, but why not put those resources on main game? For example developers of Star Citizen focused on so many things at once that game is bunch of demos, half way done mechanics, not a proper game and it is still in deep alpha. This was the same case in ARK development in my opinion. I stopped care about reporting bugs, because they won't be fixed in reasonable time anyway. I reported the bug 6 months ago and guess what, they ignored it. I reported when you force feed Ovi it is stuck in eating animation and it's food rate is not being filled up, they didn't fix it. I do not see any progress in making ARK something more than grind fest. Thus I have enough.

To be fair here, who are you (or anybody on on this forum) to be telling the developers what they "should" be doing with THEIR game?  I mean, I get it, you're the consumer, so without you the developer has no money which means they have no project.  But it's completely up to them what they do and what they work on.  If they want to keep this game in alpha state for 10 years, by all means it's their right.  Sure, they may lose gamers and thereby lose money which could ultimately kill the project completely, but that's solely up to them to decide.  When you start a company and start working on development of your game, you then get to decide what you work on.  

All in all, I agree with most of the comments on here about where we would like the game to go, but it's not up to us.  Yeah, the forums are for voicing your opinions and we all hope WC is reading and listening, but ultimately it's up to them and the way we're "wording" our opinions could be detrimental to our cause.  Most of us love the concept of this game and we all want it to succeed, but posts like yours (and mine, even) that are uneducated in their process aren't really helping any.  None of us knows what's actually going on in the studio.  We aren't privy to all of the information, so we just sit back and make assumptions about why the game is the way it is.  They could have good reasons, they may not. 

I saw a new game coming out by Funcom (I think), something about Conan in the open world that looked a LOT like Ark.  Only problem is, it was being developed by a MUCH larger development company.  I just hope they don't pass up WC in development and release a title that pulls a lot of their playerbase away.  Sure, it didn't have dinosaurs (which is what attracted myself and my wife to Ark), but it did have the same concept and design as Ark.  Here's to hoping I'm wrong. :) 

On 10/24/2016 at 9:32 AM, Brayn said:

Complete and utter waste of development time at this stage of game development in my opinion.  No one asked for it.  Even fewer people will do anything more than play on one of these servers for more than a fleeting moment.  It makes me even more afraid that this game is tending down the same catastrophic path that Dungeon Defenders 1 did.  Constantly focusing efforts on new pet projects rather than completing and optimizing the game.

Game's been out almosy a year.  If I could play and not be dashboarded multiple times a play session i would support this useless project.  Until then, I find their waste of dev time on this insulting.

I honestly have to agree with this. As a large player dedi server owner with crashes every day. Please Please Please work on stability sooooooooooon. 

I love the concept of the PG Arks, even if they are not truely procedurally generated (as in: an endless ongoing world). I love the surviving/exploring part so much, and indeed the need to find your resources without a wiki, to check out new areas and to discover amazing views you have never seen on a playtrough before has me drawn in like crazy. Unfortunately there's still lots to be done on the PG Arks, so much that, at this time, they are unplayable due to the repeated crashes. 

But hey, they're still in experimental phase. So I'll be patiently waiting for the next update, playing some modded general ARK in the mean time.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AllThingsArk said:

This is literal trash, I have tried to generate a map 10 times on Xbox with 50MBS/s download speed it can't even handle a single map, thanks for once again letting me down, releasing. Tried to change a single setting and this won't work. 

Thats what happens when you outsource your company in the name of money. Sad but true. But hey, buy that new VR ARK Park thing, that wildcard is so...... not..... wasting resources on. While the PC people that put a lot of faith from day one in this scam, get screwed over. It's a scam folks. Ill probably be banned for this post alone seeing as they used an excuse to delete 6-8 posts in multiple threads, of me throwing wildcard under the bus, for supposedly harassing someone.

"Good luck"

-Avios

@Redkiller Crazy right, hey, let's forget about our loyal Xbox customers who bought early release DLC and have been around for 2 years, let's give PlayStation customers VR instead of fixing bugs and making the game work. I mean Ark, have you looked at the loading screen? Notice the crazy pixelation in the left corner? Stop jumping the gun on VR when you game is barely 420p. Thanks for releasing a game I should have every achievement for with over 1200 hours played, too bad you just released achievements

CAN ANYONE IN THIS THREAD ACTUALLY GENERATE A PROCEDURAL MAP? I have tried 15 times with no luck, thought it was my settings, so I tried running with standard settings, nope! 

Here I am playing Overwatch and FF15 which are both amazing and thought I would give Ark its last chance to keep my as a player and customer, I love Ark and have been around from the beginning and was waiting for this patch to re-launch my dedicated server to enjoy the game again seeing as we would finally have something new other than dinos, I guess I was wrong, like always Ark just does not work. 

Instead of VR support focus on the following:

• Fix Procedural Arks, I thought loading primitive plus 5 times due to crashes was bad, try loading a single procedural ark, it won't happen. Simply put, the Xbox cannot handle ark. 
  • Focus On PC & Xbox,  We are your loyal customers who you forgotten about, just because you want more funding does not mean you leave us in the dark. If new content or patches come, bring them to us first. 
  • Fix The Loading Screen, You guys can manage VR gameplay but can't manage to fix a loading screen, what is up with the pixels in the top left corner? Want a screenshot to see how ridiculous this looks? 
  • Stop adding content and fix the bugs your developers create, If you are not going to fix bugs and just add in content every patch, at least let us opt-out of the patch, half of the time updating just causes more issues and brings in bugs. 
  • Mean something when you say it, Stop lying to us and promising things you can't keep, you promised us procedural arks, meanwhile, you can't even generate a map??!?!?!?!? 

I took a huge break from Ark to give to guys time to fix bugs, nothing has been done, you know how nice it was to play other games that JUST WORKED? Try and do the same.

22 minutes ago, AllThingsArk said:

@Redkiller Crazy right, hey, let's forget about our loyal Xbox customers who bought early release DLC and have been around for 2 years, let's give PlayStation customers VR instead of fixing bugs and making the game work. I mean Ark, have you looked at the loading screen? Notice the crazy pixelation in the left corner? Stop jumping the gun on VR when you game is barely 420p. Thanks for releasing a game I should have every achievement for with over 1200 hours played, too bad you just released achievements

CAN ANYONE IN THIS THREAD ACTUALLY GENERATE A PROCEDURAL MAP? I have tried 15 times with no luck, thought it was my settings, so I tried running with standard settings, nope! 

Here I am playing Overwatch and FF15 which are both amazing and thought I would give Ark its last chance to keep my as a player and customer, I love Ark and have been around from the beginning and was waiting for this patch to re-launch my dedicated server to enjoy the game again seeing as we would finally have something new other than dinos, I guess I was wrong, like always Ark just does not work. 

Instead of VR support focus on the following:

• Fix Procedural Arks, I thought loading primitive plus 5 times due to crashes was bad, try loading a single procedural ark, it won't happen. Simply put, the Xbox cannot handle ark. 
  • Focus On PC & Xbox,  We are your loyal customers who you forgotten about, just because you want more funding does not mean you leave us in the dark. If new content or patches come, bring them to us first. 
  • Fix The Loading Screen, You guys can manage VR gameplay but can't manage to fix a loading screen, what is up with the pixels in the top left corner? Want a screenshot to see how ridiculous this looks? 
  • Stop adding content and fix the bugs your developers create, If you are not going to fix bugs and just add in content every patch, at least let us opt-out of the patch, half of the time updating just causes more issues and brings in bugs. 
  • Mean something when you say it, Stop lying to us and promising things you can't keep, you promised us procedural arks, meanwhile, you can't even generate a map??!?!?!?!? 

I took a huge break from Ark to give to guys time to fix bugs, nothing has been done, you know how nice it was to play other games that JUST WORKED? Try and do the same.

I feel that man. Us PC modders have drawn a short straw for way to long. And you know what? WC can suck a fat one.

Archived