Quickie Procedurally Generated ARKs How-To Guide

Jeremy Stieglitz

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Does the server run with the normal maps rather than the PGArks?

If you haven't tried that then I'd suggest you do, and check that it's not trying to load the Primitive+ mod, as it's mentioning that.

If the map doesn't load in vanilla then I'd be looking at your runtimes seeing as most of the errors in there are saying about "Unknown Function"s, which would suggest something isn't installed right.

Yup, jut tested The Center, runs like a champ.

34 minutes ago, Critter said:

Anyone able to supply pictures of their maps, hopefully a few with different values so we can get a perspective of the values-

Yep, and it wasn't pretty. Even after I turned up the mountain slope it kept happening until I closed ark and re-generated a fresh one with random parameters.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/471016511606569798/3CD0CD26C807074A786D315FE37649EA07851E9A/

4 minutes ago, Whatzitooya said:

Yep, and it wasn't pretty. Even after I turned up the mountain slope it kept happening until I closed ark and re-generated a fresh one with random parameters.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/471016511606569798/3CD0CD26C807074A786D315FE37649EA07851E9A/

Deff tricky to manipulate the values to get even a smudge of what you prefer lol Finally got a good value for tree density, thank god. Brb while I experiment some more

5 hours ago, Mystalias said:

Looking at your error message, the first thing I thought of was that something in your settings is too high for your server to handle... but if you can make and use the map in single player, that seems very odd. I'm wondering if you've missed a step somewhere, like copying a map cache file or something...

Transferring the cache files (2 of them) fixed the issue, thanks!!

20161021224314_1.jpg

Edited by houndazs

!PLEASE! For the sake of what hair I still have on my head..... PLEASE Provide a set of Min-Max ranges for the data we need to enter to get a PGA Up and running...

Also, can you have another go at the table of editable data? There are indeed explanations, but...ummm... 

ErosionIterations Number of droplets which are used to simulate erosion

Does not convey much of use to a budding cartographer :)

And, I need a wee bit more to go on for this part:

OceanFloorLevel The height value for the ocean floor (from -1 to WaterLevel)
WaterLevel The height value for the water surface, from (Ocean Floor level to 1)

LOTS of us are having trouble getting a large amount of flatish land, Some mountians(Craigs too, but not so much) with, Streams and Lakes.

We either end up with a weee tiny dime-sized rock, a chain of bigish islands, or nothing at all but water (Dive under to see the "map")

Edited by Everseeker

2 minutes ago, Everseeker said:

And, I need a bit more to go on for this part:

OceanFloorLevel The height value for the ocean floor (from -1 to WaterLevel)
WaterLevel The height value for the water surface, from (Ocean Floor level to 1)

Remember those X,Y graphs from algebra? These are values on a grid similar to that, measuring vertical distance.

0 is the smack dab middle of the map, vertically. There's a high(top of the sky) and low(deep down) boundary similar to the edges of the map. (i have no idea what those boundaries are)
The ocean floor(bottom of the ocean) level defaults at -1, so it's 1 distance down from the middle.
The water level(top of the water) defaults at -0.72, so it's .72 down from the middle of the map.

You can change these to raise or lower the ocean floor and water. For a really deep ocean, push the floor value further from 0, and the water level closer to 0. For a shallow ocean, do the opposite. :)

And I agree, it would be nice to have min-max values and/or sliders.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

And be rest assured, the PGArks will have so much testing done by all of us. ;P

Edited by BubbaCrawfish

My windows 2012 server  still crashes when I try to join my PG server even with the latest updates. also it does a full startup in under 24.94 seconds which is too fast and stays on "ShooterEntry" map with the default max 70 players instead of 100..

No problems running SE or TheCenter though.

Error message:

Fatal error!

VERSION: 248.2 
ShooterGameServer.exe!IOnlinePlatformData::Compare() (0x00007ff6de1b87e0) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystem\public\onlinesubsystemtypes.h:654]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AShooterGameMode::IsPlayerAllowedToJoinNoCheck() (0x00007ff6de43190b) + 46 bytes [c:\svn_ark\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootergamemode.cpp:4095]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AShooterGameSession::ApproveLogin() (0x00007ff6de4476f5) + 212 bytes [c:\svn_ark\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootergamesession.cpp:536]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AGameMode::PreLogin() (0x00007ff6df01e778) + 22 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gamemode.cpp:1275]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UWorld::NotifyControlMessage() (0x00007ff6df2275f0) + 162 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\world.cpp:3915]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UControlChannel::ReceivedBunch() (0x00007ff6defd7b93) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:1057]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UChannel::ReceivedNextBunch() (0x00007ff6defd6918) + 21 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:533]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UChannel::ReceivedRawBunch() (0x00007ff6defd64dd) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:330]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UNetConnection::ReceivedPacket() (0x00007ff6df0d269d) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\netconnection.cpp:1109]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UNetConnection::ReceivedRawPacket() (0x00007ff6df0d1493) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\netconnection.cpp:576]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UIpNetDriver::TickDispatch() (0x00007ff6def2125e) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystemutils\private\ipnetdriver.cpp:174]
ShooterGameServer.exe!TBaseUObjectMethodDelegateInstance_OneParam<APrimalCharacter,void,float>::ExecuteIfSafe() (0x00007ff6de235cf7) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.inl:532]
ShooterGameServer.exe!TBaseMulticastDelegate_OneParam<void,float>::Broadcast() (0x00007ff6df0b8359) + 14 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl.inl:1784]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UWorld::Tick() (0x00007ff6df0ad471) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1092]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UGameEngine::Tick() (0x00007ff6df00f35f) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gameengine.cpp:1139]
ShooterGameServer.exe!FEngineLoop::Tick() (0x00007ff6de1975f3) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2376]
ShooterGameServer.exe!GuardedMain() (0x00007ff6de19306c) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:140]
ShooterGameServer.exe!GuardedMainWrapper() (0x00007ff6de1985ba) + 5 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:125]
ShooterGameServer.exe!WinMain() (0x00007ff6de1986e8) + 8 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:209]
ShooterGameServer.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() (0x00007ff6dff0ef1d) + 21 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]
KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffca9b716ad) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffcab944629) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

So I've done some testing. A LOT actually, and I have a very good handle on how nearly all settings work (Still iffy on Island Curve).

I set up a Dedicated Server. I've also streamed the ENTIRE process (though I cut the stream hours ago to DL the ADK.)

Here's my screenshot (ignore the mosas, been tweaking spawns. Added all SE characters in, working on eggs. Will get around to that tomorrow. In the meantime, here are 2 pieces of info: A- my stream is under the same twitch name as here if you have questions regarding map generation and how the values influence a seed, or to see the current map and how things turned out with a great deal of variety and size. And B- Here's the Game.ini I am using for this map in attachment: (You can ignore the spawners, they need tweaked and the engrams can also be ignored, that's just for solo tribes to be viable while we screw around.)

Also, on stream is a one-button link (Look for the ARK symbol, it's all below that) to join and test it out yourself.

If anyone can figure one problem for me, would be great: I CANNOT get the perfect division of rivers/flat land/mountains we have and STILL have oceans. I have to set my landscape radius too high, or else I lose too much of what I love with this type of map. Thus the crazy mosa spawners lol (again, needs fixed.)

But yeah, I've gotten a  good handle on this, just don't have endless time to answer forum posts and it's easier on the stream, i'm basically always there. Be starting back up in 10 minutes (been at this since release, need a shower before I go back.) If you have questions, I'll answer what I can. 

Game.ini

Game.ini

Edited by TheyCallMeGunny

2 hours ago, TheArkVibration said:

My windows 2012 server  still crashes when I try to join my PG server even with the latest updates. also it does a full startup in under 24.94 seconds which is too fast and stays on "ShooterEntry" map with the default max 70 players instead of 100..

No problems running SE or TheCenter though.

Error message:

Fatal error!

VERSION: 248.2 
ShooterGameServer.exe!IOnlinePlatformData::Compare() (0x00007ff6de1b87e0) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystem\public\onlinesubsystemtypes.h:654]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AShooterGameMode::IsPlayerAllowedToJoinNoCheck() (0x00007ff6de43190b) + 46 bytes [c:\svn_ark\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootergamemode.cpp:4095]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AShooterGameSession::ApproveLogin() (0x00007ff6de4476f5) + 212 bytes [c:\svn_ark\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootergamesession.cpp:536]
ShooterGameServer.exe!AGameMode::PreLogin() (0x00007ff6df01e778) + 22 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gamemode.cpp:1275]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UWorld::NotifyControlMessage() (0x00007ff6df2275f0) + 162 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\world.cpp:3915]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UControlChannel::ReceivedBunch() (0x00007ff6defd7b93) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:1057]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UChannel::ReceivedNextBunch() (0x00007ff6defd6918) + 21 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:533]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UChannel::ReceivedRawBunch() (0x00007ff6defd64dd) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\datachannel.cpp:330]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UNetConnection::ReceivedPacket() (0x00007ff6df0d269d) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\netconnection.cpp:1109]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UNetConnection::ReceivedRawPacket() (0x00007ff6df0d1493) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\netconnection.cpp:576]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UIpNetDriver::TickDispatch() (0x00007ff6def2125e) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\online\onlinesubsystemutils\private\ipnetdriver.cpp:174]
ShooterGameServer.exe!TBaseUObjectMethodDelegateInstance_OneParam<APrimalCharacter,void,float>::ExecuteIfSafe() (0x00007ff6de235cf7) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl.inl:532]
ShooterGameServer.exe!TBaseMulticastDelegate_OneParam<void,float>::Broadcast() (0x00007ff6df0b8359) + 14 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl.inl:1784]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UWorld::Tick() (0x00007ff6df0ad471) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\leveltick.cpp:1092]
ShooterGameServer.exe!UGameEngine::Tick() (0x00007ff6df00f35f) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gameengine.cpp:1139]
ShooterGameServer.exe!FEngineLoop::Tick() (0x00007ff6de1975f3) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2376]
ShooterGameServer.exe!GuardedMain() (0x00007ff6de19306c) + 0 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:140]
ShooterGameServer.exe!GuardedMainWrapper() (0x00007ff6de1985ba) + 5 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:125]
ShooterGameServer.exe!WinMain() (0x00007ff6de1986e8) + 8 bytes [c:\svn_ark\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:209]
ShooterGameServer.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() (0x00007ff6dff0ef1d) + 21 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]
KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffca9b716ad) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]

Make a PGArk on solo
Copy Gami.ini AND cache files into server
Run server

See video I posted below

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeGunny said:

So I've done some testing. A LOT actually, and I have a very good handle on how nearly all settings work (Still iffy on Island Curve).

I set up a Dedicated Server. I've also streamed the ENTIRE process (though I cut the stream hours ago to DL the ADK.)

Here's my screenshot (ignore the mosas, been tweaking spawns. Added all SE characters in, working on eggs. Will get around to that tomorrow. In the meantime, here are 2 pieces of info: A- my stream is under the same twitch name as here if you have questions regarding map generation and how the values influence a seed, or to see the current map and how things turned out with a great deal of variety and size. And B- Here's the Game.ini I am using for this map in attachment: (You can ignore the spawners, they need tweaked and the engrams can also be ignored, that's just for solo tribes to be viable while we screw around.)

Also, on stream is a one-button link (Look for the ARK symbol, it's all below that) to join and test it out yourself.

If anyone can figure one problem for me, would be great: I CANNOT get the perfect division of rivers/flat land/mountains we have and STILL have oceans. I have to set my landscape radius too high, or else I lose too much of what I love with this type of map. Thus the crazy mosa spawners lol (again, needs fixed.)

But yeah, I've gotten a  good handle on this, just don't have endless time to answer forum posts and it's easier on the stream, i'm basically always there. Be starting back up in 10 minutes (been at this since release, need a shower before I go back.) If you have questions, I'll answer what I can. 

Game.ini

Game.ini

awesome! i try to get wyvern workin on the center and i only was able to spawn fire wyvern OR Lightning OR poison, but not all three together

ConfigAddNPCSpawnEntriesContainer=(NPCSpawnEntriesContainerClassString="Lava_Upper_Spawn_C",NPCSpawnEntries=( (AnEntryName="PWyvernSpawner",EntryWeight=750.0,NPCsToSpawnStrings=("Wyvern_Character_BP_Poison_C"))), NPCSpawnLimits=( (NPCClassString="Wyvern_Character_BP_Poison_C",MaxPercentageOfDesiredNumToAllow=0.01) )  )

ConfigAddNPCSpawnEntriesContainer=(NPCSpawnEntriesContainerClassString="Lava_Upper_Spawn_C",NPCSpawnEntries=( (AnEntryName="FWyvernSpawner",EntryWeight=750.0,NPCsToSpawnStrings=("Wyvern_Character_BP_Fire_C"))), NPCSpawnLimits=( (NPCClassString="Wyvern_Character_BP_Fire_C",MaxPercentageOfDesiredNumToAllow=0.01) )  )

ConfigAddNPCSpawnEntriesContainer=(NPCSpawnEntriesContainerClassString="Lava_Upper_Spawn_C",NPCSpawnEntries=( (AnEntryName="LWyvernSpawner",EntryWeight=750.0,NPCsToSpawnStrings=("Wyvern_Character_BP_Lightning_C"))), NPCSpawnLimits=( (NPCClassString="Wyvern_Character_BP_Lightning_C",MaxPercentageOfDesiredNumToAllow=0.01) )  )

this made it doable! <3

(i spawned them on the upper side of the lava island)

but i still struggle a bit with getting hatched eggs to spawn, anyone did it now?

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeGunny said:

Game.ini

Game.ini

Nice Gunny, do you have a screenshot of the map?

• Chris locked this topic
  • Jen unpinned this topic