PVE Kiting needs to stop

madfretter

PVE - Player Versus Environment = PVE

PVP - Player Versus Player = PVP

PVE with kiting - Player Versus environment altered by another Player = PVP

It's all the same thing since kiting is allowed. People that kite do so because they are afraid to play on a server where people could fight back. They are sniveling little weasels that hide behind the skirt of game coding.

Dev's really need to find a way to knock this stuff out.  It mostly serves as a griefing tool and defeats the purpose of playing PVE. Every single day on my server at least one tribe is kited to and wiped. How is this fun? Months of work deleted because someone decided to kite a golem to your base... Needs to stop. I don't know what has changed since I played on the Island, but I seem to remember wild animals only destroying your base/dinos if they were agro'd on you or dinos. But yet I hear tribes complaining that thieir base was wiped will they were offline and their dinos in a pen on passive. I don't get it.

Since we've moved our base we have not had an issue with being kited to, but if did happen we would do the same thing ten fold. So that would leave 2 bases leveled, on a PVE server which such destruction is only meant to be caused naturally.

There is an easy fix to this. Agro'd animals only attack the first tribe to agro them and they despawn from the area if they are left there. This prevents  any damage kiting could do and stops people from leaving aggressive dinos outside of peoples bases.

As I seen someone post, there are something like 20 unofficial servers to one official server. I really think the ratio was stated a little low but either way and what ever the true ration is, the Unofficial servers well out number Official servers. This is for good cause. Support on Official servers are lacking and corrective actions are based on concern with community backlash (makes it very hard to properly administer a server when there is fear of backlash towards a company) . I am not saying that every Unofficial servers are great or with out problems. I do believe that the unofficial ones, with all things considered, are handled better. 

On one of the unofficial servers I play on, a griefer would get banned. The players character would be fed to wild life and all of the stuff on the server that was once theirs would be destroyed. Don't get me wrong, this would be investigated thoughly first but then it does not take days, weeks or never to get done. 

A server with like-minded people having a great time is far more common on unofficial servers than found on official servers. I won't play on official servers because of issues like the OP posted. Again, don't get me wrong; it is possible to find an unofficial server with similar issues but then I would rather spend time and go find another server until the right fit is discovered. 

Some servers do come and go. Many have been going since Ark was first launched (like one I am on). I also played on one where it was shutdown in a short period of time - but that was a friend of my daughters who was just messing around and moved on. I expected that to happen (Their attention span was short). I will say, Unofficial will be the way I always go. 

If you are on an Official server, I recommend that you keep doing what you are doing and also check out some unofficial servers. Find one you like then transition over. In the long run, I believe the happy meter will rise.

Have a great day. 

1 hour ago, Nowtarfu said:

As I seen someone post, there are something like 20 unofficial servers to one official server. I really think the ratio was stated a little low but either way and what ever the true ration is, the Unofficial servers well out number Official servers. This is for good cause. Support on Official servers are lacking and corrective actions are based on concern with community backlash (makes it very hard to properly administer a server when there is fear of backlash towards a company) . I am not saying that every Unofficial servers are great or with out problems. I do believe that the unofficial ones, with all things considered, are handled better. 

On one of the unofficial servers I play on, a griefer would get banned. The players character would be fed to wild life and all of the stuff on the server that was once theirs would be destroyed. Don't get me wrong, this would be investigated thoughly first but then it does not take days, weeks or never to get done. 

A server with like-minded people having a great time is far more common on unofficial servers than found on official servers. I won't play on official servers because of issues like the OP posted. Again, don't get me wrong; it is possible to find an unofficial server with similar issues but then I would rather spend time and go find another server until the right fit is discovered. 

Some servers do come and go. Many have been going since Ark was first launched (like one I am on). I also played on one where it was shutdown in a short period of time - but that was a friend of my daughters who was just messing around and moved on. I expected that to happen (Their attention span was short). I will say, Unofficial will be the way I always go. 

If you are on an Official server, I recommend that you keep doing what you are doing and also check out some unofficial servers. Find one you like then transition over. In the long run, I believe the happy meter will rise.

Have a great day. 

I kinda thought that the official server would be, i dunno, more official? But as it turns out, you are correct and the unoffical servers seem to be quicker to handle the nonsense and keep their players happy. Having been a Minecraft server admin for years I should have known this. Silly me.

Unofficial servers have admins actually willing to step on the necks of troublemakers like kiters, obelisk/beacon blockers, offline raiders, and sociopath alpha tribes. Wildcard, unfortunately, probably does not have the manpower to monitor the official servers, given they're low on cash due to that lawsuit and most of their teams are busy finishing the game.

• Volunteer Moderator

Kiting used to be a bannable offence on Official PVE servers up until about last month.

The devs changed it and said something to the effect of "If a player can kite a dino to your base and the dino can kill tames or damage your base then you need better defense against wild dinos".

I also think it was very difficult for support to manage these things after the fact of it taking place. It was hard if not impossible to prove another player was doing it unless you got them on video while you are online. Most players would just kite while you are offline.

So, what options are we left with:

1. Don't get on the radar of some troll that causes them to target you. (Doesn't always matter, trolls will just target random people as well).

2. Build up your base to a point to where it doesn't matter if they kite a dino to you, it can't do you any harm. (This is the route I took).

3. Go to a PVP server where you can fight back.

4. Go check out some Player Dedicated PVE servers run by active admins that can deal with trolls.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Kiting used to be a bannable offence on Official PVE servers up until about last month.

The devs changed it and said something to the effect of "If a player can kite a dino to your base and the dino can kill tames or damage your base then you need better defense against wild dinos".

I also think it was very difficult for support to manage these things after the fact of it taking place. It was hard if not impossible to prove another player was doing it unless you got them on video while you are online. Most players would just kite while you are offline.

So, what options are we left with:

1. Don't get on the radar of some troll that causes them to target you. (Doesn't always matter, trolls will just target random people as well).

2. Build up your base to a point to where it doesn't matter if they kite a dino to you, it can't do you any harm. (This is the route I took).

3. Go to a PVP server where you can fight back.

4. Go check out some Player Dedicated PVE servers run by active admins that can deal with trolls.

My base is as absolute fortress, but since they shut off the power during rain storms and eliminated plant species x from SE, it is vulnerable during storms. This is  the time that most tools do their griefing. How do I defend against that? (a ? for WC)

We try to avoid trolls, but the mouse just loves to prod the lion. The way this game is set up doesn't leave good players many options. After putting up with it for almost a year on 5 different servers my tribe have had enough and we decided how best to handle it. If we see a tribes name pop up  a few times in chat being accused of kiting or griefing we simply remove a few players from our tribe and give them what they need to wipe the offending tribes base. Basically, 3 strikes and your out. Every tribe gets accused of kiting and trolling at one point or another, but it's easy to figure out who the problem tribes are... Constantly being accused, ripping off trades, landing in other peoples bases, stealing eggs....  When we see that stuff start happening, our secondary tribe KArma does what needs to be done. Our server has about 40 solid tribes that work well together, there are still a few knuckleheads, we try and give them a few chances... It's kinda funny, other tribes warn new players/tribes about KArma and tell them not to be trolls....lol

Archived