Digest 41 on Wyverns in the Dragon Arena

CyanicEmber

So this was in Digest 41 as I'm sure most of you have seen already...

Survivor, Ike24 asks, “Will you make fire wyverns the secondary spawn in the dragon arena instead of ptrerasand dimorphs?”

Nope! But we will tone down those OP Ptera’s there.

This is pretty much the only time I've ever directly disagreed with Jeremy on a design decision... It just makes no sense whatsoever to have Pteras and Dimorphodons as the secondary spawn in the Dragon Arena to begin with (except out of nescessity). But it especially doesn't make sense when we now have a creature that is so much more suited to playing that roll.

Curious if anyone else feels the same way?

Honestly my main gripe is that they are not physiologically or environmentally related to the boss and thus have no reason to be there rather than fleeing in terror from the giant fire breathing reptile.

True, wyverns are more powerful, but this could be mitigated by limiting the number that spawn...?

6 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

Honestly my main gripe is that they are not physiologically or environmentally related to the boss and thus have no reason to be there rather than fleeing in terror from the giant fire breathing reptile.

True, wyverns are more powerful, but this could be mitigated by limiting the number that spawn...?

I don't know, man.

Having to fend off Wyverns spitting poison, fire and lightning at your face while also fending off the Dragon itself seems like it'd be a bit much. I agree that it'd be better thematically and aesthetically, but players would be boned seriously. Especially given that flyers aren't allowed in the Dragon's arena. Maybe if only one of each type of Wyvern was included and if they were somewhat lower leveled. Like, level 75. 

1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

Could be restricted to Fire Wyverns. I think that would be reasonable.

You have never been burnt, have you? You can still somewhat handle the ptera and dimo with the Rexes, but have you ever tried to fight a wyvern with a Rex? Know that you only have 30 min to kill the dragon... And they banned the paracer from going in... No more minigun cheese the bosses...

I can't disagree with your general sentiment, but it's quite possible that it's been considered but rejected because of the balancing issues that would be involved.  Then again, it's also possible that they considered it to be "Too much of a good thing", and that including Wyverns would lessen the impact the dragon makes.

Ptera's and Dimorphs have been around a long time now though, it's quite possible that there is now (or soon will be) available creatures that might be better suited to the secondary spawn roll.  Something that seems logical in the back of your mind, like an alpha predator with powerful scavengers living nearby to take advantage of the scraps it leaves behind (or bring down lesser individuals on their own).

Perhaps Megalania (cave Komodo) would seem appropriate climbing up out of crevices in the ground or scaling down sheer cliffs from all sides, drawn to the heat and smell of death. 

It's definitely something to consider.

Archived