Evolution Event OP?

Spyfiction

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing because it was way way way to easy to build up with resources and tames. It felt like it was cheating with the increased rates and made the game really easy and not fun. It felt more rewarding on the normal settings when tames took time and base building was harder. Why would anyone play during the week when you know there is just another evolution event around the corner to level up and tame all the dinos with kibble saved up for the weekend? It would be much better if it was only for special occasions (Christmas?) to give ark players a present ONCE in a while and not every weekend. Some players like the grind and hard work they put into building their base and tames.

if you want the increased rates, stick to playin x6 servers kids

I think it ballences the play the 2x tamming is more manageable for people that cant sit there for 7 hours without kibble especially on se. In pvp it will bring pvp more regularly with the resources being x2 and make it not such a hit if you get wiped.  Most people quit once you kill them which is a great shame but with this maybe they will stay and play. The xp once you hit 70 the x2 really makes little difference and since there is the whole tech ter coming the highest lvl is probably going to be way higher so at the rates now you looking at a loooong term thing. All round i think it adds ballance to the game. 

18 minutes ago, Spyfiction said:

I hope this doesn't become a regular thing because it was way way way to easy to build up with resources and tames. It felt like it was cheating with the increased rates and made the game really easy and not fun. It felt more rewarding on the normal settings when tames took time and base building was harder. Why would anyone play during the week when you know there is just another evolution event around the corner to level up and tame all the dinos with kibble saved up for the weekend? It would be much better if it was only for special occasions (Christmas?) to give ark players a present ONCE in a while and not every weekend. Some players like the grind and hard work they put into building their base and tames.

are you playing in scorched earth?

we had to fight for everything. want metal? oh yeah, let me kite these rock elementals off the mountains first... all this for a few nuggets of metal, in the meantime, lemme kill off these carnos, argys. thornys sabers too.

oh yea! lemme go tame an argy! oh wait, no kibble... I guess I have to do prime! hours after your argy dies trying to outrun a wyvern. go tame a tapejara then! if that thing ever decides to land... and then get eaten by everything surrounding it or it dies much later to other bs reasons.

oh, we ran out of wood! lemme go get the chainsaw... except you know it's bs when you broke it the last time and you need metal, electronics and polymer to repair it. trees are so scarce on SE. not to mention when you need wood and thatch.

i need stone/ sand! lemme go tame a doed, oh wait, no kibble. you only have time for some low lvl doed. might as well bite the bullet and sulphur tame that golem... only that it takes 24 hours...

taming, yes! a 120 wolf, oh wait, not enough eggs... i guess i have to wait forever because there's no oviraptor... thanks a lot game.

i don't know about you. not really fun and people don't have all day to build their base inch by inch, and then to get destroyed by a rock elemental or some random wild spawning inside your base

not to mention so many downtimes where you sit idle because you have to wait for the superheat or sandstorm to pass by.

despite the 2X weekend, we still grind on the daily basis. i think it's the springboard everyone needs. the satisfaction vs grinding ratio needs a slight tweak in terms of SE. but for the island, it's another story. most of the players in SE are veterans and all too familiar with the good grind, only that, it is a pain to go through all that again. i am quite sure a good bunch of players want to finish taming whatever in SE and just want to take it all back to the island. SE is nice, it's beautiful, but i will be damned, she is one cruel mistress. i have a feeling that i will not like the long lasting relationship with it

57 minutes ago, Spyfiction said:

I can see your concerns it did feel a little crazy! This weekend are tribe tamed a 145 doedic, a 145 and 150 Argentavis, a 140, 145 and 150 petrodons a low lvl Rex for eggs and a lvl 20 giga cos why not its x2 right! Not forgetting the 4k in pearls my tribe m8 collected ending are electronics issue! 

To answer your question yes I do believe jat posted saying it's going to be a regular thing but they may mix it up moving forward ie: x2 tame one week x2 exp the next week/fortnight! He even joked about harvest famine weekends and knowing these guys they could throw stuff like that in the mix, predators night weekends but X2 tame also! that kind of thing would be cool imo!

These events are perfect for me, I work 50+ hours a week with weekends off.  A lot of other players i have interacted with on a handfull of servers have similar schedules also so It seems like a perfect fit for working adults. The ones I see unhappy with these events are people that can play way more per day than your average person, be they kids/teens with no job or unemployed adults or streamers.  Makes sense to do events for the people who have money to buy DLC and whatnot rather than ones with more time than money imo.

38 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

These events are perfect for me, I work 50+ hours a week with weekends off.  A lot of other players i have interacted with on a handfull of servers have similar schedules also so It seems like a perfect fit for working adults. The ones I see unhappy with these events are people that can play way more per day than your average person, be they kids/teens with no job or unemployed adults or streamers.  Makes sense to do events for the people who have money to buy DLC and whatnot rather than ones with more time than money imo.

Yes, on Scorched Earth, I'm only able to do tames on the weekend, and this 2x really helps, what with all the kibble and other problems still in that game.

I'd like to see SE stay 2x every weekend until some of those issues are resolved. The other servers can go back to always 1x.

On SE, it is a struggle to keep the dinos I tame on the weekends feed during the week at 1x rates. I spend about 1/2 my play time during the week just doing maintenance.

3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Completely agree. I hope they keep up the weekend events.

I think the reason for the event is 2 fold.

1) Bring some challenge to alpha tribes on pvp. Now your rivals can pose a bigger threat because of the resource gain. Have fun with defending yourself.

2) Scorched Earth. TheIsland and TheCenter are like casual adventure games while Scorched Earth is like Ark: Dark Souls Edition. (Especially if you started a fresh character on the server). Want a high level Paracer? Gotta berry tame it because the kibble tree is fractured. (Level 68).

My only gripe is that these are on weekends only. I get that weekends are the best time for it as it hits a broader player base but for those of us who work every weekend... However that's just a personal complaint. At least I can get some playtime in on Sat and Sun before bed

On 4-10-2016 at 9:37 AM, Dam Son said:

are you playing in scorched earth?

we had to fight for everything. want metal? oh yeah, let me kite these rock elementals off the mountains first... all this for a few nuggets of metal, in the meantime, lemme kill off these carnos, argys. thornys sabers too.

oh yea! lemme go tame an argy! oh wait, no kibble... I guess I have to do prime! hours after your argy dies trying to outrun a wyvern. go tame a tapejara then! if that thing ever decides to land... and then get eaten by everything surrounding it or it dies much later to other bs reasons.

oh, we ran out of wood! lemme go get the chainsaw... except you know it's bs when you broke it the last time and you need metal, electronics and polymer to repair it. trees are so scarce on SE. not to mention when you need wood and thatch.

i need stone/ sand! lemme go tame a doed, oh wait, no kibble. you only have time for some low lvl doed. might as well bite the bullet and sulphur tame that golem... only that it takes 24 hours...

taming, yes! a 120 wolf, oh wait, not enough eggs... i guess i have to wait forever because there's no oviraptor... thanks a lot game.

i don't know about you. not really fun and people don't have all day to build their base inch by inch, and then to get destroyed by a rock elemental or some random wild spawning inside your base

not to mention so many downtimes where you sit idle because you have to wait for the superheat or sandstorm to pass by.

despite the 2X weekend, we still grind on the daily basis. i think it's the springboard everyone needs. the satisfaction vs grinding ratio needs a slight tweak in terms of SE. but for the island, it's another story. most of the players in SE are veterans and all too familiar with the good grind, only that, it is a pain to go through all that again. i am quite sure a good bunch of players want to finish taming whatever in SE and just want to take it all back to the island. SE is nice, it's beautiful, but i will be damned, she is one cruel mistress. i have a feeling that i will not like the long lasting relationship with it

I started ark with scorched Earth (never played the other two yet) made a fresh character on this and am now level 73 slowly progressing with some friends, so far those 2x events helped a lot in building up a good base and some defenses and some nice tamed dinos.

From personal experience I can say scorched earth is pretty brutal in the time it needs to get things done, which I like, the start was very rough and took a big learning curve in how to play but I had some nice friends that gave me some pointers on what to do and how to do it.
But that 2x experience was really really helpful and I welcome it in the weekend even though it means less sleep! :)

I don't think people understand the time it takes on official servers to tame a low level doed or anky to get easier materials which you desperately need like iron / stone / flint.
however for the chainsaw, I found that killing mantis in the desert for some organic polymer is great to repair the chainsaw.

All in all I like Scorched Earth and the 2x event made it far more enjoyable, maybe one day when we are done with it, we will transfer to the Island and try it out but for now, I really love the map.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 2:57 AM, Spyfiction said:

Personally I think the 2x rate is about where it should be.  How about you make your own server and run it at 50% rate? 

• 3 weeks later...

If i may, now i understand the struggles of SE and i feel for you brave souls over little resorces you can get normally and i salute you for it. Now, about this being OP.. go ahead and say its bad and all that jazz but i want to bring up the mammoth in the room. How many tames has anyone lost and gear unrecovered with the DC issue? I know i have lost more than my fair share of tames and gear even the now dubbed throw away tames for the same.. I feel that these evolution events are WCs attempt to counter act the loses acquired i wont mind it being less often if they can fix the DC issues but thats my opinion on the matter so there

10 minutes ago, Gunslingerediel said:

If i may, now i understand the struggles of SE and i feel for you brave souls over little resorces you can get normally and i salute you for it. Now, about this being OP.. go ahead and say its bad and all that jazz but i want to bring up the mammoth in the room. How many tames has anyone lost and gear unrecovered with the DC issue? I know i have lost more than my fair share of tames and gear even the now dubbed throw away tames for the same.. I feel that these evolution events are WCs attempt to counter act the loses acquired i wont mind it being less often if they can fix the DC issues but thats my opinion on the matter so there

I like how you said mammoth instead of elephant.   Because this problem is HUGE(President Trump voice).  Have they even acknowledged this problem or said when it would be fixed? I'm also sick of the DCs.

ele.png

13 minutes ago, Gunslingerediel said:

We lose tames to DCs occasionally, but on SE, I think more to just how harsh the environment is. You die in the scar, your wyvern is almost always going to get killed too. We keep tames on passive because we don't want a stray wyvern to be aggro'd by them, but then occasionally a dire wolf or raptor spawns right inside the barn, and kills a bunch of stuff. Anyway, my point is DCs are one of several things that can get your tames killed, so we are replacing some each week or two.

Putting stimberries into the inventory of said dinosaurs will start the taming process, yet slowly.

On average, dinosaurs will eat 1 stimberry per second, but the fun thing is that hunger is not going up as they consume it. The trick is that when the hunger is low enough, you can swap to mejoberries or any other type of berries and the taming bar will progress insanely quick (until hunger is full again) without losing any progress done via stimberries.

Basicly, you can rinse and repeat this strategy until the tame is completed. However, the main downside is that you will end up with 0% effectiveness on your tame.

Regards.

9 minutes ago, Mellymelon said:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/523890681428068201/?l=swedish

ive also tried doing it myself, doesnt make it faster in any way

Might want to look at this video. Even if the taming rates are increased in the video, it still properly showcase how the method works.

Good luck with your tames! :D

Archived