ARK: Survival Evolved - Cave Redesign

Jatheish

9 hours ago, DrakeHunter said:
  • Caves should be a challenge meaning players should not be able to bring in mounts. Shoulder mounted creatures and small dino's are acceptable (such as Dimetrodons and Dilophosaurs)

This is the only suggestion I'd deny, because as always there were no thaughts about single player/one-man-tribes. I never succeeded in the snow cave and I had ~20 high level Dimorphs (lvl 192+) with me. So this idea is very bad. ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/10/2016 at 7:18 AM, DomiDarko said:

This is the only suggestion I'd deny, because as always there were no thaughts about single player/one-man-tribes. I never succeeded in the snow cave and I had ~20 high level Dimorphs (lvl 192+) with me. So this idea is very bad. ;)

Thing is with the Snow Cave and even down to the Swamp Cave, I don't think much testing was involved in the area of one-man tribes/singleplayer who wanted to tackle a cave on their own. Almost all caves on The Island can be soloed with the right equipment but the Snow Cave in particular is menacingly punishing for singleplayers and one man tribes. In that suggestion I also suggested Dimetrodon as a mount that you could bring into caves, this was specifically for the snow cave in mind. I just believe no rideable mounts should be allowed in a cave but those which are tameable but cannot be ridden should be allowed access.

On 17/10/2016 at 3:32 AM, DrakeHunter said:

I just believe no rideable mounts should be allowed in a cave but those which are tameable but cannot be ridden should be allowed access.

I'd be happy if they designated 1 or 2 caves specifically for not having rideable mounts, and then tuned it and the loot accordingly. But some caves should allow different mounts just for variety and to make use of some lesser used dinos (and a purpose for taming/breeding).

Provide a decent use for things like Terror Birds and Raptors for some caves.  Wolves and Sabers in others, Bears etc.  Should be easy enough to create caves that allow for partial mounted and partial on foot exploration.  Just add options don't take them away.

However most of the caves if you do them on foot are massively out of balance of being something valuable to do, the risk/reward ratio is laughable.  Metal wall blueprint and a cloth hat from clearing the swamp/redwood cave, sooo worth it.

What about a complete cave biome? With its own lakes and resources and creatures specific to the caves like trolls (not the kind that offline raid or do dumb troll things) but real trolls that are ugly and mean and might live under a bridge.. an entire eco system that lives and thrives under it all.... And it could have its own caves and valleys and temples that might just house the forefather's of this island weve been calling home. I could keep going all day but I work... I have faith you'll figure it all out . 

• Jatheish unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Archived