Play single player, started building base near oil! water without ugly pipe?

Zergling963

So yes I know in single player I should have chosen near the water as others suggested but I wanted a challenge so am creating a mining base in the desert area that gets heat stroke! 

However I am trying to work out do I do piping? As you need that for the industrial cooker etc? If I do piping how can I do a hugely long length of metal pipe from the green obelisk to my base without it looking hideous? Know piping is necessary to keep crops growing too I just don't want hideous piping joins around lol! Right now my water source is my Morellatops! I have one that started as a level 120 and I drain it to around 60 water left then take a water run!

It lasts pretty well in my opinion and plan on getting more eventually! But I am just unsure about the piping as have a big cliff section right behind me ?

also so where do you find dung beetles on this map please? But yes any advice about the water piping wound be awesome as I choose this location specifically for the challenge! Know it means I am not near pearls etc but I feel happier being next to my two oil rigs. Right now I have 3 dinos they are the Morellatops, tapejira and one mantis.

Plan on getting more but have to work towards it! I also don't want to transfer any the island dinos in as I want the challenge to be this maps dinos etc only. If anyone could offer advice it would be greatly appreciated! Will post an in game image of my location tomorrow after I get some sleep!

thanks all

We built on top of the Eastern Badlands mountain just up from the Green Obelisk where there are two double oil pits and quite a bit of metal. Initially we put a well just down the mountain and piped up from there but the well does not produce consistent water fast enough. Filling two canteens and drinking from the tap will almost empty the well and then you have to wait for refills. The river is a bit further from that well so we decided to change the pipe to have a full-time source of water.

Laying the pipe so it does not look ugly and all over the place, we took a Paracer with us to the river and built the pipe up high so that you do not have to use more than 1 intake and then only vertical and horizontal pipes to get it up the mountain. It looks clean, it is not getting hit by ground dinos and it was much easier to manipulate around the base buildings being up off of the ground. The issue you run into with making your base in the Badlands is that you cannot place crop plots due to "lack of sunlight" so we put our crops on Paracer platforms and set up a faucet system that we just walk the dinos under to water the crops.

Living full time in the Badlands has it challenges with heat, etc. but I find having the oil, metal, cactus trees and it being more centrally located to the desert without being in the desert is worth the trials.

7 hours ago, Eglyntine said:

We built on top of the Eastern Badlands mountain just up from the Green Obelisk where there are two double oil pits and quite a bit of metal. Initially we put a well just down the mountain and piped up from there but the well does not produce consistent water fast enough. Filling two canteens and drinking from the tap will almost empty the well and then you have to wait for refills. The river is a bit further from that well so we decided to change the pipe to have a full-time source of water.

Laying the pipe so it does not look ugly and all over the place, we took a Paracer with us to the river and built the pipe up high so that you do not have to use more than 1 intake and then only vertical and horizontal pipes to get it up the mountain. It looks clean, it is not getting hit by ground dinos and it was much easier to manipulate around the base buildings being up off of the ground. The issue you run into with making your base in the Badlands is that you cannot place crop plots due to "lack of sunlight" so we put our crops on Paracer platforms and set up a faucet system that we just walk the dinos under to water the crops.

Living full time in the Badlands has it challenges with heat, etc. but I find having the oil, metal, cactus trees and it being more centrally located to the desert without being in the desert is worth the trials.

Hmm thanks for the suggestions! I seem to have pleanty of sunlight where I am and plan on setting up greenhouses. it only goes shadowy where I am come evening/afternoon I am on the upper plateu bit right next to the desert that is pretty flat and as yours has the two oil rigs next to each other.

Thanks so much for all the help appreciate it

There is a bug (or maybe by design, it has not been determined yet) that in certain areas of the map with the brightest of sunlight, when you try to put down crop plots it gives the message that there is not enough sunlight to construct the crop plot. The desert and mountain area near the Green Obelisk is one of the biggest offenders of this. There are several threads about it. The Devs have not said if it is a bug or if it is a wrong error message but you might want to make yourself a crop plot and try to place it before you spend the time building a greenhouse first. Might save some time and frustration in your later game.

Just now, DirtyRat said:

Not sure if you know this but there are also Water Veins aorund the map that you can place water wells onto. Once you have a water well placed you can run water pipes from them for crop irrigation and taps (you don't have to place an intake pipe, a normal straight section will snap straight onto it.)

I was, but it only holds 1000 units and when you use it up you have to wait for it to refill. We were going through it fast with just two of us using it so that is why we brought water up from the river down in the gorge.

Thanks thats what I did with trying a crop plot! Ended up moving base cause of it! Still in the process right now! have to go back and get all my materials etc over time. Its unfortunate but you can only do what you can do! Ended up moving back next to the water where I was going to make my base at first. At least it will save some time this way. Thanks for letting me know before I got too far into my base

2 hours ago, DirtyRat said:

True, but OP's question was specifically about crop irrigation and the industrial cooker and this is perfect for it.

Thanks for the suggestion ended up moving back to where I was originally going to build but have to go back for the rest of my materials etc when I have things a bit set up here  really appreciate the help! Did end up with the crop irrigation bug or whatever it was though hence the moving! Thanks will just have to go back and forwards for oil. 

Unfortunately there was was no water well near me ? but have moved near water where I can build a greenhouse now just have to move materials etc over when I am more set up  thanks for the suggestions could be useful in time

Archived