Is the Lymantria under powered?

wildbill

1 hour ago, Ubern00ber88 said:

Moths are (and are even officially stated as) starter flyers. Its meant primarily for lower levels to chump tame with mejos to have a cheap, quick flying unit. Upgrade as soon as possible. Please note they also lay moth eggs so probably kibble fodder later. Kinda like the Parasaur of the flight world.

The camel isn't bugged (We have 3 eggs) its just the effects of no oviraptor are painfully apparent. We also stay around the house a lot so more egg chances from being in render proximity.

As for fed dinos pooping more leading to more eggs that is false on everything except dodos. Only they are coded to have an egg chance at each defecation. Just grab a chair and bucket and wait. (Or breed eggs near your dinos.. I get a lot of eggs that way from being so close for hours on end.)

But you got to be level 45 to unlock the saddle, hardly a starter flyer 

Think that should be dropped to 25-30 considering how pointless the moth is

22 hours ago, Ubern00ber88 said:

If you are making a joke then it is going over my head as all sources point to Tapejaras prefer Allosaurus egg kibble.

When I raised my third Tapejara, the kibble they required, as they required in all previous imprinting, was Thorney egg Kibble. Not sure where you're getting your info but it's wrong.

47 minutes ago, Duffried said:

When I raised my third Tapejara, the kibble they required, as they required in all previous imprinting, was Thorney egg Kibble. Not sure where you're getting your info but it's wrong.

That's for imprinting not taming which could be any random kibble. For Taming (per everywhere but specifically the wiki) they use Allosaurus while for Thorny Dragon:

Overview[edit | edit source]

Kibble (Thorny Dragon Egg) is made from Thorny Dragon Eggs. ThisKibble is the favorite food of the Lymantria.

2 hours ago, Ubern00ber88 said:

That's for imprinting not taming which could be any random kibble. For Taming (per everywhere but specifically the wiki) they use Allosaurus while for Thorny Dragon:

Overview[edit | edit source]

Kibble (Thorny Dragon Egg) is made from Thorny Dragon Eggs. ThisKibble is the favorite food of the Lymantria.

Strange because I've gotton that kibble every single time I've imprinted each of my Tapejara, crazy coincidence maybe?

16 minutes ago, Duffried said:

Strange because I've gotton that kibble every single time I've imprinted each of my Tapejara, crazy coincidence maybe?

I'd say so. I know I had a triplet set of pteras that just wanted dimetrodon kibble the entire time (no cuddles or walks) and I didn't have a single dimet. I think in this instance it is just pulling from scorched earth only creatures to ensure no one gets screwed on imprinting..

They can be pretty useful. During raids you can use them to bomb entrances and exits, rooftops, etc. to help suppress enemy players and dinos, giving snipers and all a better shot at killing them as they try to run around.  The spores also seem to drain hunger and thirst which means the enemy needs to burn through resources faster. If you cut off their supply lines and have enough people watching the area making sure they can't get in or out easily then you can starve them out. They can also be used to slow things like trex, wyverns, rock elementals and such which makes taming easier. Lymantria has its uses. It's not a powerhouse or good for hauling cargo but it does have a few niche uses.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 3:59 AM, Ubern00ber88 said:

Moths are (and are even officially stated as) starter flyers. Its meant primarily for lower levels to chump tame with mejos to have a cheap, quick flying unit. Upgrade as soon as possible. Please note they also lay moth eggs so probably kibble fodder later. Kinda like the Parasaur of the flight world.

The camel isn't bugged (We have 3 eggs) its just the effects of no oviraptor are painfully apparent. We also stay around the house a lot so more egg chances from being in render proximity.

As for fed dinos pooping more leading to more eggs that is false on everything except dodos. Only they are coded to have an egg chance at each defecation. Just grab a chair and bucket and wait. (Or breed eggs near your dinos.. I get a lot of eggs that way from being so close for hours on end.)

i gave up. i imported a ptera. moths are wayyyy too slow.

Moths totally need something, anything, to make them viable. I would love to use mine more but they're just so not worth it.

For a start, even knocking a decent one out is difficult, a quick look at the taming calculator and it ssems that even bolaing one and making sure every shot is a head shot you're looking at just not having time to do more than about a lvl 75 without tranq darts, and then on official rates on mejoberries that will take you a whopping 7 hours to tame!!! So you're gonna want the kibble, that takes an hour and a half with 24 kibble! Now I dunno about you guys, but I play SE on single player with egg laying rates reduced to 20% of normal, and from my pair of thorny dragons in who knows how many hours I have 4 eggs!

So just taming one is awkward, annoying, and time consuming. As has been said for a starter flyer lvl 45 is too high a level for their actual utility, which let's face it, is next to nothing. I have not been able to slow anything, ever with the spore attack. If an argent or vulture latches on to you all you can do is fly away as fast as you can and hope they lose interest before your stamina disappears, which it will do very quickly. I get the concept of wanting to restrict being able to fly early on and this making the map harder purely because you have to explore on foot, but it needs to have something more rewarding about it, because it is a great concept creature, but so not worth the hassle of taming. Even more so with the Tapejara now on scorched which is a far far superior flyer, a bugger to tame but with the utility befitting it.

Archived