Is the Lymantria under powered?

wildbill

Many seem to agree that they are cute and fun to have, but once you can get an Argentavis, they pretty much find the moth to have no use anymore.

I tamed a low level one, and found that its spore attack to be pretty useless. I would tame a higher level one, but just don't have the time.

It really needs a 2nd attack and it should be able to harvest or kill something.

I left mine sitting in the base yard and not in the barn for like one minute. I hear something attacking and my moth is circling upward with a level 12 Argent attacking it. About a minute latter it is dead. I doubt I will ever tame another. My next bird will be an Argent.

I only had it one day and with its low stamina and carry weight, I think I could carry more stuff between two points with a Morelletops. Might be a bit safer with the Lymantria, but you do have to avoid all Argents.

About the only thing I found it useful for was getting to supply drops, but I had to pass on a few that had predetors nearby, as the moth can't attack or even defend itself. Its weight (for a low level one) is also too low for some of the stuff you can get in a drop.

Think max possible level on offical for a moth now imagine a lot of movement speed and stamina and then think of the spore attack slowing enemies down

Seems like the perfect dino to bring and snatch a dragon egg come in fast grab the egg stun sporring following dragons on the way out to slow them down and get them off your trail

EDIT: should add i have yet to test this just a theory

I wish I had the over 10 hours to tame a max level one, assuming I could find one

I wonder if without the secondary attack, if an argent could still just come along and kill a max level Lymantria if somehow it was out on its own (like if your PC were to crash, or some other "unexpected" thing that seems to be more common in SE). There is also the stray dragon to worry about too.

Without the 2nd attack, I'm just not going to invest so much time in a tame that can be randomly killed, possibly with nothing you can do to prevent it.

This is a bit off topic, but with the harsh environment of SE, it makes me question even more how long it takes to tame something. So far most of my tames have had less use before they were killed then the time it took me to tame them. I'm no noob (over 2000 hours), but did start from level 1 on an SE official. I've played one other official (primitive), and there we at least had some stuff that was easy to get to speed up tames. It is also easy to keep a tame safe in your base and expect to have it for weeks or months without getting killed.

The game shouldn't be about spending most of your time taming stuff over and over, which is what the game has been for me so far.

23 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I wish I had the over 10 hours to tame a max level one, assuming I could find one

I wonder if without the secondary attack, if an argent could still just come along and kill a max level Lymantria if somehow it was out on its own (like if your PC were to crash, or some other "unexpected" thing that seems to be more common in SE). There is also the stray dragon to worry about too.

Without the 2nd attack, I'm just not going to invest so much time in a tame that can be randomly killed, possibly with nothing you can do to prevent it.

This is a bit off topic, but with the harsh environment of SE, it makes me question even more how long it takes to tame something. So far most of my tames have had less use before they were killed then the time it took me to tame them. I'm no noob (over 2000 hours), but did start from level 1 on an SE official. I've played one other official (primitive), and there we at least had some stuff that was easy to get to speed up tames. It is also easy to keep a tame safe in your base and expect to have it for weeks or months without getting killed.

The game shouldn't be about spending most of your time taming stuff over and over, which is what the game has been for me so far.

Thorny dragon kibble would cut that 10 hours down significantly but i agree that the argy is overall more useful

17 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Thorny dragon kibble would cut that 10 hours down significantly but i agree that the argy is overall more useful

Ya, I'm debating whether to attempt to start an egg farm or not. Normally in ARK, my egg farm would be an open air thing. For instance for the thorny dragon, I would have like 4 females and one male, and a oviraptor. They would be in a pen, but with that many of them, they could kill anything that makes its way in. Not necessarily true in SE. (I'm playing PVE, so it isn't players, but that random wyvern that shows up or is kited by the egg farm that can kill everything.

First problem, there are no oviraptors.

2nd, I think there is a bug with the camels not laying eggs, so taming the thorny dragons takes longer than normal.

3rd, anything I've left in the open air, no matter how good a fence around it, in SE has a lifetime of maybe 2 days.

4th, the resources required to make a fully enclosed egg farm are just not that easy to come by on an official. The space required is also hard to come by with most flat areas already pillared off.

I'm really just goofing off a bit until WC solves some of the other problems. I don't see SE sustaining any long term interest until some of this stuff is fixed. Right now it is the newest and most interesting thing, but I don't expect that to last more than another month or two unless they make some big improvements in the mechanics of the game soon.

At the moment i largely agree with you - they die quickly and other fliers seem far better.  I'm not going to rule out some clever uses for them though - being able to slow something to a near standstill could be useful at some point.  My plan is to kibble tame another one after I've gotten enough and experiment.  I have 3 thorny dragon eggs right now so that won't happen any time soon.

This map is the "hard" setting map for sure. It will take a lot of resources to build a fully covered pen. The alternative is to build away from the cliffs that have the argents. They are mostly in the south so if your based over by the green obby then you won't get argents and are on the far side of the map from where the wyvern trench is. My tribe built right near the red obby and we have a tall barn for our animals and i'm parking them up on the walls so the eggs fall. I had to build the whole thing on pillars but I used the underside of the building to park the scorpions with a large trapdoor ramp to move em in and out. This has the added bonus of letting me walk under all the damn tails that you can't clip through. The camels are laying eggs now for sure. If your used to oviraptor rates your going to think that they are broken because it is so rare. You might want to tame up a few more low level females if you want to see increased production. Also make sure your animals are all fed. An animal that is fed will poop more and that gives more chances for eggs I think.

Another note on building a pen don't think you have to make an entire full building. First few days when we were just starting out our pen only had every other wall/roof and look like it was a bunch of arches. This is enough to keep out the argents as they need at least a 2 wide space to fit. This won't block wyvern breath of course but if your having that big an issues with wyverns your probably in a bad spot  

TL;DR Don't shy away from building an egg farm. Build near green to avoid argents coming down. Build smart with limited resources. 

1 hour ago, Multivitamin said:

This map is the "hard" setting map for sure. It will take a lot of resources to build a fully covered pen. The alternative is to build away from the cliffs that have the argents. They are mostly in the south so if your based over by the green obby then you won't get argents and are on the far side of the map from where the wyvern trench is. My tribe built right near the red obby and we have a tall barn for our animals and i'm parking them up on the walls so the eggs fall. I had to build the whole thing on pillars but I used the underside of the building to park the scorpions with a large trapdoor ramp to move em in and out. This has the added bonus of letting me walk under all the damn tails that you can't clip through. The camels are laying eggs now for sure. If your used to oviraptor rates your going to think that they are broken because it is so rare. You might want to tame up a few more low level females if you want to see increased production. Also make sure your animals are all fed. An animal that is fed will poop more and that gives more chances for eggs I think.

Another note on building a pen don't think you have to make an entire full building. First few days when we were just starting out our pen only had every other wall/roof and look like it was a bunch of arches. This is enough to keep out the argents as they need at least a 2 wide space to fit. This won't block wyvern breath of course but if your having that big an issues with wyverns your probably in a bad spot  

TL;DR Don't shy away from building an egg farm. Build near green to avoid argents coming down. Build smart with limited resources. 

Ya, I'm just southwest of the red obelisk, so in Argent territory. I could move closer to the green obilisk, assuming there is an area not pillared over. I've moved once already, so I'm inclined to wait a bit at this point to see what changes are made in the game.

1 hour ago, Multivitamin said:

If you on a pve server I know my server isn't mass pillared. If your. It to invested I could help you get set up

Thanks, I'm just going to be taking it easy for a bit. A few days ago I was ready to just quit playing SE, so I'm lowering my expectations and trying to do stuff that is just fun.

Fun stuff that my GF likes to do with me: Run around killing stuff for no particular reason. Taming something that takes 1 or 2 hours.

Stuff that happened that nearly made me quit: Someone (maybe of foreign nationality) griefing all the bases near mine with a wild fire wyren, killing all their tames. A terror bird attacking right through a wall (maybe adobe isn't enough protection?). My base getting pillared (seems this is just what people do on PVE official, as they were very nice about removing one pillar, so I could build, but I can't expand my base at all). My noob tribe mate killing a few of my tames.

On a different topic, should noobs really start out playing ARK on SE? Maybe I should start another thread on that :)

My base is near a spawn point, so I find them all around my base. One has decided my taming pen is his favorite place to log out. I kite wild dinos into it where they are trapped. So I did that the other day, so the first thing the raptor does is eat the body of this noob :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a few tribe members and having all kinds of fun (until the next disaster strikes) :)

One of the new tribe mates tamed a moth, I think around level 50, so took like 3 hours, even at the 2x rates this weekend.

It was used for about 30 minutes total time, before it fell like a rock to the ground when its stamina ran out and a dire wolf ate it (and the rider).

So, really, why such low stamina, it is barely of any use even if it had great stamina, so why cripple it so much?

1 hour ago, CriD said:

If you use a moth the right way they are pretty op,  at least in PvP against land mounts. People raiding you? keep slowing the down with moth spore while your buddies get easy head shots on the non moving targets. 

Not playing PvP, playing official PVE. They seem to have almost no use in PVE other than being a waste of time and resources to tame.

At some point, this game really needs to have special "flavors" of certain things like this moth.One version for PVE and one for PVP. Many times something is limited in some way to level the playing field for PVP, where in PVE, the "nerf" makes no sense at all.

21 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Not playing PvP, playing official PVE. They seem to have almost no use in PVE other than being a waste of time and resources to tame.

At some point, this game really needs to have special "flavors" of certain things like this moth.One version for PVE and one for PVP. Many times something is limited in some way to level the playing field for PVP, where in PVE, the "nerf" makes no sense at all.

Well, they did start this game with PvP in mind mainly, I think pve wasn't even an option. But, that being said, they do have some uses

1.) We used a low level moth to help tame when we were in the early stages before we hada taming pen

2.) Someone on our server keeps saying to use the moth to poop on plants.

3.) It looks really cute.....ok so I'm out of uses, however

....the moth seems to be the raptor of flying. for people that do not level fast, or progress in general fast, a moth is a great early game tame. I'm talking about for the people who restart level 1. Argy saddle is 55, I don't know moth, but it's lower then an argy. And for people that level slow, an argy to ride is kinda far off, lol. Plus, soon the moths will produce silk, so there is always that lol.

31 minutes ago, CriD said:

Well, they did start this game with PvP in mind mainly, I think pve wasn't even an option. But, that being said, they do have some uses

1.) We used a low level moth to help tame when we were in the early stages before we hada taming pen

2.) Someone on our server keeps saying to use the moth to poop on plants.

3.) It looks really cute.....ok so I'm out of uses, however

....the moth seems to be the raptor of flying. for people that do not level fast, or progress in general fast, a moth is a great early game tame. I'm talking about for the people who restart level 1. Argy saddle is 55, I don't know moth, but it's lower then an argy. And for people that level slow, an argy to ride is kinda far off, lol. Plus, soon the moths will produce silk, so there is always that lol.

Ya, good points, I guess they don't apply to me. I don't level slow, I started at lvl 1 on the server but am level 70 now.

Some of them are cute, the last one we tamed was really ugly though.

Ya, they are supposed to make silk, but don't yet.

I made a taming pen even before I could make the saddle for the moth (once again, I don't level slow) :D

3 hours ago, Deadpool00012 said:

Yeah pretty much useless for doing anything. However no one here has mentioned that it fertilizes plants with the poop attack. Try it out 

What plants, you mean crops? Or some wild plants?

I'd try it, but the 3 I've tamed are all dead. One by a Argent, one by a dire wolf, I forget what happened to the other.

19 minutes ago, TR-8R said:

Sorry , that not true .

Oh, sounded too good to be true.

So much of what you read in the wiki is inaccurate or just not true. It says this: " but its ability to produce silk and spores is often considered more valuable due to its slow flight speed. Its silk can be weaved into heat-dispersing cloth, and its spores gathered for fertilizer or poison"

You can not get silk from it unless you kill it, and like you say, I've found no way to get the spores.

Moths are (and are even officially stated as) starter flyers. Its meant primarily for lower levels to chump tame with mejos to have a cheap, quick flying unit. Upgrade as soon as possible. Please note they also lay moth eggs so probably kibble fodder later. Kinda like the Parasaur of the flight world.

The camel isn't bugged (We have 3 eggs) its just the effects of no oviraptor are painfully apparent. We also stay around the house a lot so more egg chances from being in render proximity.

As for fed dinos pooping more leading to more eggs that is false on everything except dodos. Only they are coded to have an egg chance at each defecation. Just grab a chair and bucket and wait. (Or breed eggs near your dinos.. I get a lot of eggs that way from being so close for hours on end.)

Archived