ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey Survivors,

If you've got a question, suggestion or just a general statement you'd like us to check out for the next ARK Digest - this'll be the place to do so! Each Digest, we'll select some from here and discuss or answer what has been asked/said. Keep in mind we won't be doing anything on ETAs, so avoid them if you can ;).

Thanks,

Jat

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the apis/bee dossier was confirmed... Does this imply a new dlc? And what are the new items coming into the ark related to the bee.

Could we possibly have a stationary defense dinosaur like the platyceramus?...

How will the targetting work on the chalicotherium? Will it auto-lock?

With the kaprosuchus, will it actually ambush?

Will the Kaprosuchus have a disguise feature like the rock elemental in scorched earth?

In Scorched earth, what is the max level wyvern egg?

The Pheonix has shown itself! What are your plans with this creature? 

Any info on new weather effects and windturbines/Oil deposits coming to The Island?

Same with stuff like sand/cactus so we can craft the blueprints we find on SE back home.

Edit: Some say windmills do work on the Island but there are no wind indication there, so if they do work, UI elements would be needed.

Can you PLEASE turn down the volume on the animal footsteps, especially the REX or Carno.  Animal footsteps have always been over the top too loud, especially large animals like Rex, Carno, etc.  But after the 246 they make my ears bleed, and turning down SFX volume or other sliders to compensate pretty much mutes/muffles all the other sounds in the game.  At the very least can you expose a slider that would allow us to adjust footstep volume ourselves?  I love the ambient sounds in this game as they make it that much more immersive...that is until an over the top REX stomp totally bleeds my ears....  Can you please look into this?

1. Can we please get a rare alpha skin as a drop? 

2. Can we get an in game option save for sp and non-ded instead of using cheats?

3. Roughly how many more Dino's do you guys plan on adding before the games official release?

4. Will we be getting a fix soon for disappearing babies when you exit on sp and non-ded?

5. Will there be a poll on which mod to add next (besides Primal Evolved)? Personally, I'd like Annunaki Genesis on Xbox One along with a few other mods.

6. Is there plans to release a skin for each Dino (since pretty much all of them have a costume slot)? Or alternatively, will we be able to craft skins?

7. Any plans on adding more Wyvern types? Like ice, or I saw one person suggest oil and I think that would be kinda neat. Water would be a good addition I think, too.

8. What about having different whistles for each command? That way you can hear someone whistle your dinos to passive/neutral/aggressive. Just something a friend and I thought of while we were doing metal runs and brought a lot of argents with. 

9. Rock elementals: will there be other elementals?

10. So far, I've only seen alpha wyverns and an alpha death worm. Will alpha Rex/Carno/Raptors be on Scorched Earth? Or even new alpha dinos?

11. Will mutations maybe introduce (eventually) size differences in some dinos? Like some grow up bigger or be a runt (especially in cases of twins or triplets)? There's all sorts of very large skeletons lying around and I personally would love to ride on a Rex that big.

12. Also, with mutations, could it maybe introduce a rare chance for an unusual color pattern for that Dino? I.E. a very blue Rex? Maybe even have a way to view its "genetics" and with mutations you can breed towards certain things.

13. Will breeding be improved more? I.E. nesting. Laying more than one egg, or at least a chance.

14. Is there any news on Primal Evolved?

15. On The Center, I notice there is a lot of decorative rocks in a certain area (don't know exact co-ords right now but it was near the ice ruins with the penguins). Will we be able to pick those up ever? It's a little annoying to see so many rocks and not be able to pick them up lol.

9 minutes ago, BigDally said:

Can you PLEASE turn down the volume on the animal footsteps, especially the REX or Carno.  Animal footsteps have always been over the top too loud, especially large animals like Rex, Carno, etc.  But after the 246 they make my ears bleed, and turning down SFX volume or other sliders to compensate pretty much mutes/muffles all the other sounds in the game.  At the very least can you expose a slider that would allow us to adjust footstep volume ourselves?  I love the ambient sounds in this game as they make it that much more immersive...that is until an over the top REX stomp totally bleeds my ears....  Can you please look into this?

They've stated they'll be redoing all they before

1. Are we going to see some kind of a "bird cage" ? Would be nice to see something like that for my wyvern for example, because right now you obviously cannot build ceilings on top of fence foundations without pillars and building a entire house for wyvern/birds wouldn't be as badass I guess

2. With the rock elemental are we going to see some more "elementals" ? Maybe a water/fire one?

3. Are we even going to see more elemental wyverns?

4. For the procedurelly generated arks: how exactly are we going to have influence on them? Are we going to be able to choose what biomes we want on our ark or how many caves? And are those arks going to be completely infinite? Because I would wonder where to place the 3 obelisks then? Would be nice to get some deeper look into that nice system of procedurelly generated arks as they're going to drop next patch

5. Do you plan on improving the AI of the creatures before or after the official release of ark? Would love to see those creatures not just wander around and kill everything they see I guess ^^

I'm not sure if it's a function possible on Xbox or not but I use a keyboard on my controller, can we start to see the ability to map hot keys on there? Would love to be able to whistle follow and attack target and whatnot from keys on there. Very underutilized. Also it was mentioned a while back about LB becoming a button to switch between first and third person on tames, that still coming?

I would like to see primitive supply drops get some tweaking. More stone structures, different quality items like clubs would be crazy. I've seen a ramshackle torch one time and it was on primitive plus, which I'm surprised to say isn't as great as I'd hoped.

Spyglassing drops would be great if you'd implement it soon now that you fixed the drops. #colorblindproblems

Could you shed some light on the mutation system in phase 3 breeding,

does it include penalties for inbreeding,

Are the mutations purely stat based or is there the possibility of offspring having colours that are not present in the parents?

Will the mutations be solely negative, or is there a possibility of getting a huge single (or multiple ) stat increase for the offspring

I was thinking about how to enhance the role playing aspect.  What if players were allowed to revive or resuscitate or even provide general first aid?  I know if someone drowns they can just respawn and try to find their body to grab their stuff.  It works, but what if the player could be resuscitated right there on the spot by another player?  They wouldn't have to lose their stuff and could continue right from where they left off.  Resuscitation wouldn't be a guarantee though.  It would be based on chance and skill of the person applying the CPR.  The percentage of chance would be based on the "Crafting" level which I suggest renaming to "Focus" instead of "Crafting".  The higher the focus, the more skilled they are at the things they attempt to do such as craft, mine for resources (which will also be based on their level of equipment), and apply medical treatment.  When a person drowns, they would be given the option to respawn or wait for help.  If they chose to wait for help, a 5 min timer would start in which the other players only have 5 minutes to apply medical treatment.  Treatment can be applied like a mini-game similar to fishing.  When fishing, the better the rod the easier the mini-game is.  With medical treatment, the higher the "Focus" the easier the mini-game would be to resuscitate the victim.  If successful, the victim revives and the player providing the aid would receive something in return.  Maybe a lot of XP or an XP buff for a couple min.  Maybe a high level BP.  Don't know..you can figure that out.  Hmmm...I can see this being exploited so maybe not an XP buff as all players would rush to drown themselves to increase XP of tribe members. LOL maybe an achievement to show off that they helped someone in need.  Medical treatment wouldn't just be for drowned victims.  If someone was seriously hurt and didn't have food or a good crafted recipe for an item that provided health or even blood bags, someone else could provide aid using bandages that were crafted with fiber.  The higher the "focus" the better they apply the bandages.  The bandage would provide a large amount of immediate health and then an increased regen buff.  The "focus" would determine the initial amount of health received.  Bandages could be applied to yourself but at a reduced efficiency.  Bandages should also have a high cost to craft. Make them out of fiber and polymer.  To recap; medical aid for drowned victims (mini-game), medical aid for hurt victims can also be applied to yourself at reduced efficiency.  All based on "focus/crafting" points, learned engram (bandages). 

Now RP servers can have a dedicated medic.  Even official servers would have a use for someone that can heal or resuscitate other players.  Definitely be useful in PVP when someone can scream "man down" and someone rush in to aid them.  Maybe even make gun shot wounds survivable if not a head shot.  For example, someone was shot enough that their HP was gone, if it wasn't a head shot, give them an option to respawn or be revived by their medic.  Same mini-game could be applied.  Now they are back in the fight and healing fast.  The medic would be at risk of being shot of course so it would be a good idea to drag the body to cover before administering aid.

24 minutes ago, ChaosTechnique said:

Hi!  Is not getting hydration from berries and cactus sap and extreme overheating in stone structures a big or just a way to add difficulty to the dlc.

I'm pretty sure that's intentional.  SE is a desert so water should be hard to come by.  Stone acts like a "stone oven" if you're inside a stone structure.  Adobe would provide insulation and keep things cooler.  I wonder if you can build a house out of metal and then build over it with a bigger structure using adobe and keep the insulation.  I think I'll test that tonight.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived