Introducing the Giant Bee!

Jatheish

Just now, Dustycrow333 said:

I like the idea of trapdoor spider but wish the areno got a buff like climbing walls or a built in web grapple

Pretty sure all the early creatures are getting a passover. My only problem with the Araneo is that its dossier says it is too small to ride and yet we can. Maybe it needs a size increase or something. It just doesn't feel like a mount ya know? Like it was meant to just be a defensive creature. That is why I want a bigger spider that acts more like a mount. 

Speaking of mounting, everyone speculating on wether or not the Queen Bee will be ridable. I would assume not, but as we don't have a very good size depiction on this dossier, in the mound the survivor makes them look like they are bigger than Dilos but in the other image they look smaller attacking the Trikes. With no saddle symbol though I would assume not.

7 hours ago, Reshkrom1153 said:

You do realise almost every plant requires pollination? 30% of our crops and 90% of the world's flora. We'd lose so much oxygen you'd need to go around wearing an oxygen mask and air tanks. People in China would literally die out because of the already terrible air quality and now with most plants dying out.

Also like another person said. Losing lots of plants means lots of herbivorous animals die out which means most carnivorous animals die out.

It's quite shocking how our entire earth is held together by these 'flying stingers' (which they rarely do)

Most wild herbivores eat Grass, and flora that doesn't require pollination

You'd be surprised how many things can survive without bees.

I dare say, there's be almost no herbivorous species go extinct. Yes, while some herbivores do eat flowers and such, I've never heard of an animal that lived exclusively on plants that require pollination, and thus, I don't think any herbivore species will go extinct.

Sure, we'll lose some flowers, maybe even a species of tree or two, even the majority of some plant populations, but for the most part, we'd be fine.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, DinoDash said:

Can you ride the queen?

ah Probably NO because ever since social insects evolved the queens have given up mobility. in Termites the queens actively try to move but are so heavy they end up grinding their legs down to nubs that can't even scrap the ground. in Ants the queen can only move with the assistance of "Nurse" workers who carry her and go where her legs go, Now in Bees the Queens maintain the ability to crawl and climb on vertical combs BUT she is actually too Heavy to fly when prepping to migrate a queen will either lay an egg for a new virgin queen then stop producing pheromones when the new queen is born and is then killed by her own hive OR the queen will mass lay and shed the undeveloped eggs so she can fly and lead her swarm to a new hive where she will mate again and become a Laying Queen again.

The first method is used by honey bee's in North America & Europe while the second is used by Killer Bees & Africanized Honey Bee's (yes Killer bees and Africanized Honey Bees ARE different breeds)

now all bee lessons from Animal Planet & Discovery Channel aside I hope these bees are:

1. Self Feeding

2. Can be told to build their nests at specific locations. seriously Biological Natural defense system with no ammo or fuel costs = Awesome (only if number 1 is true)

3. Queens are not a passive tame. Seriously too many bugs and bug eaters are passive tames.

4. Ignore Bug Repellent IF you damage their hive.

5. Available on Scorched Earth map. Because of the Australian Rock Bee the Real Life Giant Bee (seriously these things can get Half as big as Rhino Beetles)

I know not all 5 will be met but that would make the bees so much better IMO

7 hours ago, UDGxKnight said:

Pretty sure all the early creatures are getting a passover. My only problem with the Araneo is that its dossier says it is too small to ride and yet we can. Maybe it needs a size increase or something. It just doesn't feel like a mount ya know? Like it was meant to just be a defensive creature. That is why I want a bigger spider that acts more like a mount. 

Speaking of mounting, everyone speculating on wether or not the Queen Bee will be ridable. I would assume not, but as we don't have a very good size depiction on this dossier, in the mound the survivor makes them look like they are bigger than Dilos but in the other image they look smaller attacking the Trikes. With no saddle symbol though I would assume not.

I am 100% on board with a total Araneo overhaul. The saddle concept feels rather slapped on, which it was, if we're honest. 

On another note I am also 100% on board with overhauling Argentavis to be a giant Vulture and introducing a new Prehistoric Raptor to take it's place... But that's probably less likely...

23 minutes ago, Rotiart said:

Most wild herbivores eat Grass, and flora that doesn't require pollination

You'd be surprised how many things can survive without bees.

I dare say, there's be almost no herbivorous species go extinct. Yes, while some herbivores do eat flowers and such, I've never heard of an animal that lived exclusively on plants that require pollination, and thus, I don't think any herbivore species will go extinct.

Sure, we'll lose some flowers, maybe even a species of tree or two, even the majority of some plant populations, but for the most part, we'd be fine.

ah Let me stop you at most herbivores eat grass and go BACK to first Grade Agriculture lessons on Nutrition this also applies to ANIMALS and no animal can survive on one food source alone. Take for example a Cow I grew up near a dairy farm and when I was a Teen I worked on that farm and yes the cows mainly ate grass & Hay with Straw for fiber BUT the majority of their diet was Soy Beans for Protein, Iron, Potassium, & Calcium, followed by Corn for Starch, and lastly apples for Vitamins.

so without Bee's we lose Soy Beans & Apples, which means we lose the cow because no grass based plant can produce Protein that's usable by animals which makes the cow grow slowly, we lose the apples which means the cows have weak immune systems and die of infections that they can easily fight off today. and with out the Cow we die cause we eat more cows per year than any other animal.

now if you say pigs & Chickens can replaces cows your wrong because Soy Beans & Corn are the major components of livestock feed. so no bee's no food for humans.

sorry for the double post.

3 minutes ago, Torkkar said:

ah Let me stop you at most herbivores eat grass and go BACK to first Grade Agriculture lessons on Nutrition this also applies to ANIMALS and no animal can survive on one food source alone. Take for example a Cow I grew up near a dairy farm and when I was a Teen I worked on that farm and yes the cows mainly ate grass & Hay with Straw for fiber BUT the majority of their diet was Soy Beans for Protein, Iron, Potassium, & Calcium, followed by Corn for Starch, and lastly apples for Vitamins.

so without Bee's we lose Soy Beans & Apples, which means we lose the cow because no grass based plant can produce Protein that's usable by animals which makes the cow grow slowly, we lose the apples which means the cows have weak immune systems and die of infections that they can easily fight off today. and with out the Cow we die cause we eat more cows per year than any other animal.

now if you say pigs & Chickens can replaces cows your wrong because Soy Beans & Corn are the major components of livestock feed. so no bee's no food for humans.

sorry for the double post.

Well, yeah, but I mean, Apples and Soy beans aren't the only two sources for Protien, Iron, Potassium, Calcium, and starch

Edited by Rotiart

13 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

I am 100% on board with a total Araneo overhaul. The saddle concept feels rather slapped on, which it was, if we're honest. 

On another note I am also 100% on board with overhauling Argentavis to be a giant Vulture and introducing a new Prehistoric Raptor to take it's place... But that's probably less likely...

I really don't think they will touch the Argent very much. I think it came out exactly the way it was meant to be. Not all vultures have to have bald heads and such. All it needs is a special ability and that is it. I personally love the look of the Argent, in fact every image I see of it resembles what it looks like in game. Now other than looks I think it should act more like the vultures on SE, but then it wouldn't be unique. I think it should just stay the way it is and get a special perk, which is pretty much what all the originals are getting if I understood correctly.

Edited by UDGxKnight

13 hours ago, Rotiart said:

Well, yeah, but I mean, Apples and Soy beans aren't the only two sources for Protien, Iron, Potassium, Calcium, and starch

true but ONLY flowering plants produce these nutrients and again only flowers mainly pollinated by bees produce these as well because bee's prefer vegetables and flowing tree & Grasses while the other key pollinator the Butterfly prefers flowers and flowing ivy's to the vegetables that bees like.

9 hours ago, Torkkar said:

true but ONLY flowering plants produce these nutrients and again only flowers mainly pollinated by bees produce these as well because bee's prefer vegetables and flowing tree & Grasses while the other key pollinator the Butterfly prefers flowers and flowing ivy's to the vegetables that bees like.

Or, just get like, 1,000 workers to go around manually pollinating things all day.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:30 AM, FrostyNWinters said:

Instead of shooting the queen in the face with a Tranq dart they should make some sort of system where you have to "knock it out" with smoke. Smoke or narcotic bombs would be a cool new taming method added for them.

Poison Gas grenade, maybe?

If I see one flying through a tree or cliff maybe my basewalls once they are added, I will have a fun mindgrind about this insect.

Also (if rideable) I assume this Giant Bee will be used a lot to knock out Quetzalcoatlus by many players. If not rideable you could always use a Pteranodon or Argentavis to fly on and let the Queen follow it... if of course the Quetzalcoatlus won't be killed instead by the Bee's sting.

Rideable?: **

Honey gathering?: ***

Torpor infliction?: ****

(Just a random guess)

We'll see.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic