Community Crunch 63, NVIDIA Ansel Contest Results, and Prim+ Dev Blog!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hello Survivors,

Welcome to your latest edition of the Community Crunch!

NVIDIA Ansel Photography Contest

large.Ansel.jpg.683f020687f3fe873c17912d

Super Resolution Version: http://images.nvidia.com/ansel/SuperResolution/ARK-SuperResolution1/ARK__Survival_Evolved_HighRes_2016_09_01_-_14_38_36_55.html

Last week we had our first NVidia Ansel Photopgraphy contest, with a ton of great entries and some amazing winning shots! 

Initially we had only planned to do 3 winners, but because of how fantastic they’ve been - we’re going to change up a few things. First of all, we’re going to introduce a runner up category. Those placing in this section will receive 50$ for placing as a runner up! The next change we’re making is that if you place more than once within a single category, you can only claim one prize in that category, so we’ll be able to make sure that more survivors are able to get prizes for their entries :)

Now let’s get to the contest!

There were 3 potential categories for survivors to enter their shots into and they were the following:

Three Categories

• Super Resolution: These should be taken at 8x Super Resolution. Players can optionally use Depth of Field effects accessible in Spectator mode by pressing the [Delete] key.
  • Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D: These should be taken at 4x Super Resolution,  in 360 Stereoscopic 3D mode. We will crop them to 2D for web display, while also providing the 3D version for viewing within VR display.
  • Freeform: Any settings, whacky and creative use of Ansel filters are encouraged. Adding humorous titles/captions in Photoshop is also acceptable for this category!

Ansel is a revolutionary new way to capture in-game shots.  Compose a shot from any position, adjust with post-process filters, capture HDR images in high fidelity formats, and share the screenshots in 360 via a smartphone, PC or VR headset.

And now without further ado, here are your entries!

Super Resolution!

You’ll want to click on the image title to be able to download the maximum size image, we’ve resized them for display purposes ;)

Winners!

Taylor - Assassin Mantis

large.57dd4e428fb80_Taylor-AssassinManti

Taylor - A Team

large.57dd4e4594272_Taylor-A-Team.jpg.ae

Naked Zombo - The Encounter

large.57dd4e2ed34d5_NakedZombo-TheEncoun

Roro - A Song of Fire and Ice

large.57dd4e3810e52_Roro-Asongoficefire.

Roro - It's hot up here

large.57dd4e3a92d4a_Roro-Itshotupthere.j

Roro - The Hunt

large.57dd4e3e1b369_Roro-Thehunt.jpg.385

Runner Ups!

Naked Zombo - Lightning Wyvern

large.57dd4e2c7f0ba_NakedZombo-Lightning

Roro - Swamp Cave

large.57dd4e3baa237_Roro-SwampCave.jpg.0

DellaDriggs - Titanoboa

large.57dd4e4dc0f7d_Titanoboa-DellaDrigg

Honourable Mentions!

GamerPerfection - Manticore

large.57dd4e12e613c_GamerPerfection-Mant

KishK0 - Cave Landscape [8x]

large.57dd4e15ccf8c_KishK0-CaveLandscape

KishK0 - In The Dragon's Lair [8x]

large.57dd4e1b40a17_KishK0-InTheDragonsL

KishK0 - Midnight at Scorched Earth [8x]

large.57dd4e1e3b3ac_KishK0-MidnightatSco

KishK0 - Ice Palace [8x]

large.57dd4e27c044d_KishK0-IcePalace8x.j

Namachan - Upon Mega Mountain

large.57dd4e3515d8d_Namachan-UponMegaMou

Taylor - Hot Monkey

large.57dd4e4848d20_Taylor-HotMonkey.jpg

Squidge Meister - THE EXTERMINATORS

large.57dd4e4b3fda3_THEEXTERMINATORSsupe

KishK0 - ARK From Above [8x]

large.57dd4e1552581_KishK0-ARKFromAbove8

KishK0 - Shooting Stars [8x]

large.57dd4e228f9ef_KishK0-ShootingStars

Namachan - Dodo

large.57dd4e316cc16_Namachan-Dodo.jpg.e7

Namachan - Dodorex Jr

large.57dd4e380fac7_Namachan-Dodorex.jpg

Panoramic 360 Stereoscopic 3D!

Winners!

Naked Zombo - Lightning Wyvern

large.57dd4e2a65f8b_NakedZombo-Lightning

GamerPerfection - Manticore

large.GamerPerfection_-_Manticore_360.jp

Runner Ups!

KISHK0 - Snowy Mountains [360 Stereo]

large.57dd4e23694a8_KISHK0-SnowyMountain

Squidge Meister - THE EXTERMINATORS

large.360_Stereo_THE_EXTERMINATORS_by_Sq

Honourable Mentions!

KISHK0 - Redwood at Midnight [360 Stereo]

large.57dd4e20c6a6d_KISHK0-RedwoodatMidn

Freeform!

Winners!

Jynn - Dinner Time

large.57dd4ee26214c_Jynn-DinnerTime.jpg.

Runner Ups!

Christopher Warburton - Sunrise

large.57dd4ede09f61_ChristopherWarburton

Jamie Weaver - Sword Man

large.57dd4e134635c_JamieWeaver-SwordMan

Joe Lally - Silent River

large.57dd4edf2cfe9_JoeLally-RedwoodStre

Squidge Meister - Lymantria vs Jerboa v1.2

large.57dd4e54c8e0a_SquidgeMeister-Lyman

Honourable Mentions!

Jaime Weaver - Warrior

large.57dd4e10745b6_JaimeWeaver-Warrior.

KISHK0 - Flashbacks [Freeform]

large.57dd4e18bdff7_KISHK0-FlashbacksFre

A lot of brilliant entries everyone!. Remember, this is an ongoing contest! So looking forward to what everyone has to share next week :)!

Community Contests!

ARKitect!

This is an award given to Survivors to celebrate the amazing structures you build. These bases are judged based upon a number of different factors such as their creativity, uniqueness, how fun of a base it is, the difficulty of building it, the functionality it provides and much more!

And without further ado, the ARKitect for Community Crunch 63 is…

It’s a tie! So let’s give a huge congratulations to

Valoule and their Wyvern Castle!

f4yYpTa.jpg

GaPX0nv.jpg

6C3TkYz.jpg

and you can check out his full album here: http://imgur.com/a/V4Zso

KISHK0 - Tower Base!

Now, last week we had placed KISHK0 in the ARK Video section, frankly we weren’t sure which was more fitting. As it was a first of it’s kind, it was definitely fitting in that post, but going forward we’re likely to include such video in the ARKitecture section of the Crunch, based on the build itself, so congratulations KISHK0! Awesome way for players to learn about building towers too :)

ARKVideo!

This contest is open for all types of video be they funny, epic, scenic, stories, whatever inspires you. Just a general reminder that they should remain safe for work, think of the children! 

And without further ado, the ARKVideo for Community Crunch 63 is…

LameWolfProductions!

We definitely did enjoy watching that ;)

Thanks for all your entries this week guys! If you'd like to check out the other submissions, you can do so here:

Fan Feature

"They DO move in herds!" A Jurassic ARK Cinematic! By Rewind Forward

Lesser Antidote Tv Commercial | Ark Survival Evolved by GramofMayo

ARK Build Battles #2 |VILLAGE| [Timelapse/Cinematic/Epic Graphics] by KISHK0

HOW NOT TO SUCK! MY TOP 10 TIPS - Ark: Scorched Earth (Ark: Survival Evolved) by ThickFreedom!

RANGER CHRONICLES #15 - MYSTERY of the GERBIL-BOA by ranger1presents

Ark: Scorched Earth || REX vs ROCK ELEMENTAL || EPIC ARENA BATTLE by Squidge Meister

Ark: Scorched Earth - Adobe Base Build Time by C8sun

ARK Molten Iron Ep 5: Paracer Caravan Platform Build by Arahli

Ark: Scorched Earth - How To Caught A Wyvern by C8sun

Ark: Scorched Earth || SQUIDGE'S SURVIVAL BASE SHOWCASE || Adobe build by Squidge Meister

Dododex Stickers!

iz93q7iy2ylx.png

For further details, check out the full post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/533slk/introducing_dododex_stickers_for_imessage_express/

Lightning Wyvern by Tee Kay

5DD9872679B033242BA39A5BBA14BB1F1DD17A70

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763762884

Through the Desert by Fubukii

E6F0CAF76C27D8347990CF88B6A550D6584EE8DB

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761755323

A Stroll in the Forest by Nikout

127F973AA049F58836D9145B3C884223E3D3C541

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=763913338

Buurd by Nikout

7E82965EDAC673E04DA845AC74AF2CFA982588DD

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=762865839

Eye for an eye by Morgengrau

D1142001A3FFB1F04AA7F5519674ACA2455F56B3

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760702656

Thorny Dragon by TheMightySaurus

301BC50CF64970EB8A722AA5B1ADE9C9FAF72E1A

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758332857

Tapejara Fanart by SurvivalArtist

IMG_20160915_0001.jpg

Allosaurus & Jerboa RWBY by Shadlos

E174E90A49B5014EA8B4E322C93D51344DC76271

823797F43C706A629FA50DAAB7CAFAD377F7FC77

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=751932518
Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=762866286

Fanmade Dossier: Armadillosuchus by Shadlos

7881032D9ADE48E320DE098FE1A4242EC072F997

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761964157

Fanmade Dossier: Protoceratops by Dinossword

1FB18FCBF1DC63EDF7867A4767843F409FCD6E56

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761519375

Primitive+ Developer Blog!

large.Boat.jpg.23b12bd8999e06b78043c163c

Hello to all Primitive Plus survivors out there!!

It’s Ced here and I wanted to update you on a few things going on with Primitive+ and a look into what the future holds for this game mode.  Over the past few weeks there have been a range of bugs plaguing both PC and XBOX.  While some of these existed in the mod version, a bulk of them arise from complications with new updates.  

Something important to know about Primitive Plus is that it will always be slightly behind the main content for the game.  One of the reasons for this is to separate core ARK issues from those that are specifically related to Primitive Plus.  Often when we release updates for main content, there are issues that arise which warrant minor patches to ensure functionality and compatibility.  

Adding those items to P+ before they are finalized would result in complications in diagnosing where the issue is stemming from.  For this reason, there will always be a minor delay when implementing new content from the game.  I don’t expect that (in normal situations) for that delay to span past a week.

large.Stove.jpg.36f13433be75a40c7ddf9e92

In terms of the current state of Primitive Plus - the current focus is to make sure that everything in the game now functions as it’s intended to. Normally there would be more teasers of content coming in the future but I’ve slowed down on the roadmap to focus on squashing any existing bugs.  The voice from the community has been heard.  You’ve let me know that you want better communication and better testing on patches before release. 

@itsr2ghgaming, an active member in the ARK community, has offered his time to be the community manager for Primitive Plus.  You can expect to hear from him a lot more as we gather feedback on the existing builds and get ideas for content to add in the future.  He will also be reaching out to those who have expressed interest in being on the QA team for Primitive Plus.  I’m extremely excited to have him on-board and he brings a wealth of knowledge about the development kit and Primitive Plus.  Rest assured that both communication and testing are big concerns.

In addition to communication and testing, I’ve taken efforts to consolidate the current bugs by taking advantage of our internal bug tracker here at SurviveTheArk.  A big thanks to Jimmy NoShoes for all the work he’s done maintaining the bug thread in the Primitive Plus forums!  I thought I’d take it a step further and put it into the bug tracker system for better visibility.  Our QA testers will have access to this system which includes adding bugs and checking on the status of bug fixes.

large.Bugs.PNG.738315a1cdd3491195281d342

Speaking of bug fixes, I’ve been working through the issues over the past 2 days and have a status update to share with you.  It’s important to know that these issues will be fixed across platforms (if it exists).  Here’s what I’ve been able to fix so far:

• Obsidian Pickaxe harvest rates - Rates are now much more generous and should provide an adequate amount when harvesting
  • Lumber Gate icon added
  • Fishing Lootables adjusted - No more non-primitive items
  • Brick Gate engram restored
  • Apiary bee duplication - Harvest rates have been increased on bees.  The queen and drone are now consumed when making worker bees.  This system will be improved in the near future.
  • Custom weapons balancing - Custom weapon damage amount has been balanced across all ARK weapons.
  • Taming balance pass - Custom consumables have been re-aligned so that no custom consumable is better than prime.  However, they are all better than plain meat and have the advantage over prime by being able to stack in groups of 5.
  • Reduced weight of dried rice
  • Ground cashew duplication - Engram is no longer duplicated in the handmill
  • Brick Gateway Placement - Brick dino gateway can be placed.
  • Allo kibble crafting fixed
  • Cashew Milk Consumable - Cashew milk can now be consumed for replenishment.  Will be used for recipes in the future!
  • Feeding Trough Bug - Various items that were acting as feeding troughs have been fixed.
  • Fermenting barrel description - Revised to be more informative.
  • Custom arrow balance - Custom arrows damage has been balanced to offer distinct advantages for each arrow type
  • Water tower snap points - The water tower can now be attached to pipes to provide the same advantage as water reservoirs.
  • Cigarettes - A glitch allowing for unlimited cigarettes have been corrected

There is still a ton of work being done and I plan on working through the weekend in hopes of releasing a patch early next week to resolve problems for both platforms.  Keep an eye on my twitter and the SurviveTheArk forums for updates on the status!  If you are interested in being on the QA team for Primitive Plus, please reach out to @itsr2ghgaming or myself!

large.Windmill.jpg.30cbd88c0825fb2ae15f2

For concerns on what happens to Primitive Plus in the future and if it will receive updates along with the core game - the answer is yes :). There are no plans to stop or halt development on the game mode that help me accomplish a childhood dream.  I am forever indebted to the community for your support of Primitive Plus because of that.  As we get closer to ironing out the existing bugs, I will begin posting more teasers from the drawing board.

Much love!
Ced

Golden Joysticks Award!

ZYErIJz.jpg

Brilliant news survivors! ARK has been nominated to win a Golden Joystick as possibly the Xbox Game of the Year! This is in no small part due to the amount of support you guys have shown us and the feedback you have provided in making ARK as good as it can be. We are very honoured to be considered a nominee and if you’d like to show your support, you can vote for ARK :).

http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/#xbox-game-of-the-year

There a ton of other great games up for multiple awards, so check it out and vote for your favourites to win!

http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards

And that’s it for this post guys!

As always if you’ve got anything to share please get in touch and be sure to follow us on:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: www.facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/playark
Imzy: https://www.imzy.com/ark
All the best,

Wildcard Jat and the ARK: Survival Evolved Team!

View full article

• Administrator

Hey guys!

Quick question. The last crunch, and this one have been quite lengthy, so I was wondering - how do you guys feel about that? Would you rather I re-size the pictures to be smaller than 1920x1080? Perhaps just leaving the winning entries at that res, and the others smaller? Or are you happy with the slightly longer scroll. I personally would like to keep it all at 1080p, but what are your thoughts - the Crunch is made for you guys, so let me know!

Another week of great creations, thanks again for all the creativity everyone - you rock! :x

9 minutes ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

Quick question. The last crunch, and this one have been quite lengthy, so I was wondering - how do you guys feel about that? Would you rather I re-size the pictures to be smaller than 1920x1080? Perhaps just leaving the winning entries at that res, and the others smaller? Or are you happy with the slightly longer scroll. I personally would like to keep it all at 1080p, but what are your thoughts - the Crunch is made for you guys, so let me know!

Another week of great creations, thanks again for all the creativity everyone - you rock! 

Display large and proud. These are always great and take a significant effort. I say, 1080p. Thanks for asking. 

18 minutes ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

Another week of great creations, thanks again for all the creativity everyone - you rock! 

Imo you should keep posting them in a high resolution it is fun to scroll down and actually see the details of the artworks!

49 minutes ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

I enjoy these posts. Don't mind how big they are. Just keep them coming.

In addition to communication and testing, I’ve taken efforts to consolidate the current bugs by taking advantage of our internal bug tracker here at SurviveTheArk.  A big thanks to Jimmy NoShoes for all the work he’s done maintaining the bug thread in the Primitive Plus forums!  I thought I’d take it a step further and put it into the bug tracker system for better visibility.  Our QA testers will have access to this system which includes adding bugs and checking on the status of bug fixes.

@complexminded @Jat I posted on the image, but I wanted to say great work here.  Exposing this bug tracker will definitely help you, devs, and the testers out a great deal.  Hopefully we'll see something similar to this for other areas of the product.  As a very long time software tester/developer this sort of tool is extremely helpful to you and your customers.  Though I do wish I did have access to enter bugs there rather than the forums as it seems like they get overwhelmed by all the non bug type issues/complaints and i worry they don't get seen.  I do try to be as clear and specific as I can in my reports, but having a tool would make it much easier for me to report in and know that bugs I find won't get missed.  Hopefully if it works out well enough we might get a version of the bug tracking tool publicly exposed.

Again, thank you so much for listening/reading, you guys really are doing a great job in making Ark a fun game to play, even with bugs and all I've spent WAAAAY too much time playing it.  LOL

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

Another week of great creations, thanks again for all the creativity everyone - you rock! :x

I'm happy with the way they are, 1080 is good for me!

2 hours ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

With a large amount of pictures and the current size of them some of us cant load them in completely. They only show half of each picture before its done loading. I may recommend that you could use spoilers for each section to show or hide each category. This would allow you to keep everything at the size they are now while still allowing all the content to fit without everything loading at the same time.

3 hours ago, Jat said:

Hey guys!

I don't care about crunch.

Do a Q&A Digest and make it as lengthy as you wish!

On 9/17/2016 at 9:37 AM, Jat said:

Hey guys!

I have no problem with the way things currently are. I'm am quite pleased.

• Jatheish featured and pinned this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic