Raptor Pack?

MayonnaisePlease

So im lv36 in an xbox pvp server, tribe of 5 and thinking about taming a pack of raptors, about 4 or 5 of them for hunting. I really want to do this but Im unsure though because of a few things:

I have heard they often get stuck

Their AoE will actually aggro a nearby animal (lets say a Trike) when they're targeting a phiomia and the trike will end up killing my tames?

Yes, if you take out a group of animals on your own, you will at times swear your head off because one or several managed to get caught behind something who knows where, but they're also surrpisingly lethal in a pack. I can't speak for low levels, but if you have several mateboosted higher level animals, no trike would be of any concern.

An alternative pack would be pteras. The kibble is fairly easy and cheap, the birds are everywhere, and they're even more lethal than raptors, less likely to get stuck, and they can retreat as fast as you can whistle "passive all." After having a group of raptors before, these are currently my pack of choice. Alpha raptors and carnos melt like butter, and even a low level alpha rex they bested with only one casualty and a half (damn that carno that rushed in to finish off a second!)

get a wolf. The only use for raptors is eggs. Wolves are stronger and get a pack buff. Raptors are a relic of the game. They need to work on balancing there are too many dinos that fell into a field of uselessness because a better more advanced creature can do the same job better. For a pack of hunting creatures tame dimorphs you will lose them often but they are quick easy tames and they provide a lot of defense for you in case you are attacked. They attack the rider not the dino.

small hunts/gathering- Wolves > Sabertooths > Raptors (not sure if carnos go before or after sabertooths they are about on par but way harder to tame than any of these others)

Beavers > Mammoths (idk what that new SE one is but ive heard it gathers wood really well so now the beaver may be useless)

I could go on with this but you get the point.

Raptors, like all creatures that follow you, will get stuck on each other when grouped together. Even in groups  as small as three. I've gotten stuck on them, my friend has gotten stuck on them...Sure, they are good for lower level players who can't get Wolves and Carnos, but when you can, replace them with something better. But to switch them out is entirely up to you.

13 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

Raptors, like all creatures that follow you, will get stuck on each other when grouped together. Even in groups  as small as three. I've gotten stuck on them, my friend has gotten stuck on them...Sure, they are good for lower level players who can't get Wolves and Carnos, but when you can, replace them with something better. But to switch them out is entirely up to you.

Don't mislead people you can get a wolf as soon as you can get tranq arrows or even a sling, bola, and a rock to stand on. They really are an easy tame.

and since OP stated raptors is what the pack was to contain, don't be mislead by having wolves when you are not ready, its more dangerous, why depending on level and what you have and the environment, its more dangerous.  Don't mislead people either, FlyinJapman4 is right, you cannot just get them easily unless you have an Argy.  You can get up on a rock etc, but unless you have the tools and are prepared, you will die, and it will die trying to get back to your base.

3 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

and since OP stated raptors is what the pack was to contain, don't be mislead by having wolves when you are not ready, its more dangerous, why depending on level and what you have and the environment, its more dangerous.  Don't mislead people either, FlyinJapman4 is right, you cannot just get them easily unless you have an Argy.  You can get up on a rock etc, but unless you have the tools and are prepared, you will die, and it will die trying to get back to your base.

i will come tame a wolf at lvl 15 on your server if you need me to its just as difficult to tame a raptor. But unlike the raptor that wolf is going to be able to kill brontos and low to mid level rexes eventually that raptor is going to die to a titanboa. And if you get a high level wolf prime tamed youre only going to be killed by players, alpha rexes, or gigas

Hell you can tame anything on a rock, but if you don't have the tools, clothes, the ability to fly in or get there as well as a way to get the tame out otherwise, sure a raptor is weaker, no doubt about that even a higher mid level one depending on what stats u put in it.   A single person to do this, go in, not get killed, the odds are not in their favor. Raptor torpor vs wolve torpor vs melee attack is not the same when comparing.  I would not be taking a raptor solo in the swamp just screams a no, and most players would agree.  The level of wolf depends on if it can take what you find out there, low levels yes, otherwise, it gets riskier like all wild animals.  You might win the fight only for a carno to finish you off because you never seen it.

Lets think and not distract new players and say its just easy as pie, its not.  You will freeze while on foot or on the ground before you get a chance.  While taming is decent, lets be honest for new players starting out and not simply create a new character that has experience.  Let them progress like they want, and right now they want a raptor pack which is good to start out around your base for meat and adventures.  I'm sure the OP is not gonna try taking on the world with just a few raptors.

5 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

Hell you can tame anything on a rock, but if you don't have the tools, clothes, the ability to fly in or get there as well as a way to get the tame out otherwise, sure a raptor is weaker, no doubt about that even a higher mid level one depending on what stats u put in it.   A single person to do this, go in, not get killed, the odds are not in their favor. Raptor torpor vs wolve torpor vs melee attack is not the same when comparing.  I would not be taking a raptor solo in the swamp just screams a no, and most players would agree.  The level of wolf depends on if it can take what you find out there, low levels yes, otherwise, it gets riskier like all wild animals.  You might win the fight only for a carno to finish you off because you never seen it.

Lets think and not distract new players and say its just easy as pie, its not.  You will freeze while on foot or on the ground before you get a chance.  While taming is decent, lets be honest for new players starting out and not simply create a new character that has experience.  Let them progress like they want, and right now they want a raptor pack which is good to start out around your base for meat and adventures.  I'm sure the OP is not gonna try taking on the world with just a few raptors.

it is easy i wont keep on with it but you can spawn east on the island go past the oasis and there are wolves everywhere since they spread the snow biom. On the center spawn snow south and you wont actually be in the snow you may be cold but you wont be freezing. All you need are 3 bows (its extra to be safe), Tranq arrows, narcotics or narco berries, and your taming material be it meat, prime, or kibble, Put the wolf down build a thatch fence around it and youre pretty much done. From there just tame it. On the center make sure your fence is at least 3 walls high or titanboas can still climb it.

Until the OP can tell us what they have, I'll just say agree to disagree, and yeah its easier since they changed the biomes around, old school way back when I first played was much harder, but unless you have an Argy, you might not get your tame back to your base.  I'm thinking of a newer player experience playing for the first time and putting my perspective into their shoes, and since they stated they wanted raptor pack I kept to that theory.

I tame low level wolves by using a bola and a club. Honestly op, wolves are superior to raptors, in every way, and they can be tamed low level, if it's low level, bola and a club,  mid to high level, bola and tranqs or stand on a rock, like a tallish rock and you'll be good to go. 

Tame time is longer, but in the end the wolf will outlive a raptor, unless your raptors sit and collect dust like mine.

Without a saddle, wolves lack defense, but they have great strength, speed, and stamina. Also not needing a saddle, you simply tame, then ride. Nothing else needed, except a name.

3 hours ago, fultron3030 said:

Don't mislead people you can get a wolf as soon as you can get tranq arrows or even a sling, bola, and a rock to stand on. They really are an easy tame.

Easy to tame? For lower level players? I'd like to see a new player go to the Snow Biome and tame an entire pack solo. Bow and tranq arrows only, difficulty level on default. No fur armor.

3 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

Easy to tame? For lower level players? I'd like to see a new player go to the Snow Biome and tame an entire pack solo. Bow and tranq arrows only, difficulty level on default. No fur armor.

Not all are on the Snow Biome on The Island. The Tundra on The Center is not as cold. And, Scorched Earth, the wolves are scattered everywhere except in the mountains and sand desert.

5 hours ago, fultron3030 said:

get a wolf. The only use for raptors is eggs. Wolves are stronger and get a pack buff. Raptors are a relic of the game. They need to work on balancing there are too many dinos that fell into a field of uselessness because a better more advanced creature can do the same job better. For a pack of hunting creatures tame dimorphs you will lose them often but they are quick easy tames and they provide a lot of defense for you in case you are attacked. They attack the rider not the dino.

small hunts/gathering- Wolves > Sabertooths > Raptors (not sure if carnos go before or after sabertooths they are about on par but way harder to tame than any of these others)

Beavers > Mammoths (idk what that new SE one is but ive heard it gathers wood really well so now the beaver may be useless)

Raptors are way more useful in your early stages because of 1) They're easy to tame. 2) You don't have to freeze your butt off to get one. 3) It's less dangerous to take on a pack of raptors than it is a pack of direwolves. 4) Their kibble is really easy to obtain, and they're still easy to tame with just prime meat and raw meat.

After you get to where you have a solid base and fur armor then... yeah, they're only good for eggs.

In order of earliest to late game, the best hunting mounts would probably be: Raptors > Carnos > Direwolves > Sabers > Rex > Allosaurus > Giga

Because yeah, surprisingly the best besides a Giga is an Allosaurus. You get a pack of them, and you've got a great pack of hunting dinos. Also, Direwolves are a little more risky to use than Sabers because of the sole fact they don't get an armor boost from having a saddle, as well... they don't have saddles.

The new one that collects Wood very well would be the Mantis, only if you give it a Hatchet though, but the Beaver still beats it due to being able to collect berries and wood, with wood, stone, and thatch weighing less, AND having a Smithy saddle.

Also in response to OP, I wouldn't worry much about a Trike killing your pack of raptors. Their melee is 'eh' and a pack of Raptors should be able to take it out, especially if you're only attacking a Phiomia.

2 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

Raptors are way more useful in your early stages because of 1) They're easy to tame. 2) You don't have to freeze your butt off to get one. 3) It's less dangerous to take on a pack of raptors than it is a pack of direwolves. 4) Their kibble is really easy to obtain, and they're still easy to tame with just prime meat and raw meat.

After you get to where you have a solid base and fur armor then... yeah, they're only good for eggs.

In order of earliest to late game, the best hunting mounts would probably be: Raptors > Carnos > Direwolves > Sabers > Rex > Allosaurus > Giga

Because yeah, surprisingly the best besides a Giga is an Allosaurus. You get a pack of them, and you've got a great pack of hunting dinos. Also, Direwolves are a little more risky to use than Sabers because of the sole fact they don't get an armor boost from having a saddle, as well... they don't have saddles.

The new one that collects Wood very well would be the Mantis, only if you give it a Hatchet though, but the Beaver still beats it due to being able to collect berries and wood, with wood, stone, and thatch weighing less, AND having a Smithy saddle.

Also in response to OP, I wouldn't worry much about a Trike killing your pack of raptors. Their melee is 'eh' and a pack of Raptors should be able to take it out, especially if you're only attacking a Phiomia.

ill address these issues individually

1,)Raptors are not more useful than wolves in any stage- lvl 50 raptor with meat 1:10 tame time--- wolf 2:30 tame time.... The times are different but the supplies are not it is exactly 84 meat for each exactly the same 

2.) you don't need to freeze for others look at my prior posts i have already explained this. I have 2k hours in this game i know what im talking about.

3.) early to late game is easily wolf - rex - quetz - giga i know this seems really simplified but it is true. if you are on pc i will help you OP i will show you how to do this.

1 minute ago, fultron3030 said:

ill address these issues individually

1,)Raptors are not more useful than wolves in any stage- lvl 50 raptor with meat 1:10 tame time--- wolf 2:30 tame time.... The times are different but the supplies are not it is exactly 84 meat for each exactly the same 

2.) you don't need to freeze for others look at my prior posts i have already explained this. I have 2k hours in this game i know what im talking about.

3.) early to late game is easily wolf - rex - quetz - giga i know this seems really simplified but it is true. if you are on pc i will help you OP i will show you how to do this.

1) If you're just starting out there's no way in hell you're going to run into the snow biome with little more than cloth on you and stone items. Taming a Raptor is way easier. Sometimes they're on their lonesome, Direwolves are always in packs.

2) By placing campfires all around yourself and using a torch? Sure. But are you going to survive from the other outside threats? Rexes, Direwolves themselves, Alphas, the possibility of a Giga, and more?

3) Um. No. Who uses Quetzals as hunting mounts? They're almost solely for metal gathering in PvE and in PvP, base raiding. Raptors > Carnos > Wolves > Sabers > Rex > Allosaurus > Giga. Though honestly, I'd put Allosaurus above the Giga, if only because they're easier to get and maintain, and have a pack bonus to boot.

You're looking at this like "I have a base, I've got the time and materials and health brews, etc..." I'm pretty sure if the OP isn't near that point, then Raptors are a much safer route for a bit. They aren't going to be going cave spelunking or hunting Brontos/Paracers anytime soon if that's the case. Especially considering they mentioned Trikes as a possible concern and hunting Phiomias.

1 minute ago, FaneBlackwing said:

1) If you're just starting out there's no way in hell you're going to run into the snow biome with little more than cloth on you and stone items. Taming a Raptor is way easier. Sometimes they're on their lonesome, Direwolves are always in packs.

2) By placing campfires all around yourself and using a torch? Sure. But are you going to survive from the other outside threats? Rexes, Direwolves themselves, Alphas, the possibility of a Giga, and more?

3) Um. No. Who uses Quetzals as hunting mounts? They're almost solely for metal gathering in PvE and in PvP, base raiding. Raptors > Carnos > Wolves > Sabers > Rex > Allosaurus > Giga. Though honestly, I'd put Allosaurus above the Giga, if only because they're easier to get and maintain, and have a pack bonus to boot.

You're looking at this like "I have a base, I've got the time and materials and health brews, etc..." I'm pretty sure if the OP isn't near that point, then Raptors are a much safer route for a bit. They aren't going to be going cave spelunking or hunting Brontos/Paracers anytime soon if that's the case. Especially considering they mentioned Trikes as a possible concern and hunting Phiomias.

1.) and 2.) i guess) wolves are not only in the snow... 

3.) yes the quetz as a mount is the easiest way to tame a giga

if he is looking to tame a raptor i assume he has at least a wood base and if you can tame a raptor you can tame a wolf its that easy.

i have 2k hours believe me or him OP i offer to come show you how to do all this if you give me your server he just offers criticism of my opinions.

3 minutes ago, fultron3030 said:

1.) and 2.) i guess) wolves are not only in the snow... 

3.) yes the quetz as a mount is the easiest way to tame a giga

if he is looking to tame a raptor i assume he has at least a wood base and if you can tame a raptor you can tame a wolf its that easy.

i have 2k hours believe me or him OP i offer to come show you how to do all this if you give me your server he just offers criticism of my opinions.

On the Island? Yeah Wolves are only in the snow. The Center? Snow and Lava Island. Pick your poison. One full of death around every corner or same situation as the Island.

Scorched Earth is the only spot where they aren't in the snow. I'm pretty sure OP ain't talking about Scorched Earth if they're mentioning Phiomias and Trikes.

You can tame a Raptor no problem if you just have a slingshot. They're that easy. Base or no base, you can tame em'.

I'm not criticizing your opinions, I'm just letting the OP know that if they want a stronger choice and are of wood/stone base levels that Raptors may not be the best pick, but if they're starting out, they'd probably want to stick with a Raptor for now to avoid dying easily in the snow.

5 minutes ago, FaneBlackwing said:

On the Island? Yeah Wolves are only in the snow. The Center? Snow and Lava Island. Pick your poison. One full of death around every corner or same situation as the Island.

Scorched Earth is the only spot where they aren't in the snow. I'm pretty sure OP ain't talking about Scorched Earth if they're mentioning Phiomias and Trikes.

You can tame a Raptor no problem if you just have a slingshot. They're that easy. Base or no base, you can tame em'.

I'm not criticizing your opinions, I'm just letting the OP know that if they want a stronger choice and are of wood/stone base levels that Raptors may not be the best pick, but if they're starting out, they'd probably want to stick with a Raptor for now to avoid dying easily in the snow.

im not going to continue this here. what server are you on, ill come show you where to get wolves outside of the snow. If they want a stronger choice other than wolves get dimorphs, doeds, ankies, stegos, all of these are stronger than raptors.

20 hours ago, fultron3030 said:

Wolves do not currently get a pack boost, there is a plan to add one but it hasn't been done yet. wolves are still much better than raptors but it is harder to find and tame them at low levels. I've occasionally seen them outside the snow biome, I generally find it easier to pick them up in a taming boat as opposed to scouring the borders of the snow biome for packs.

Raptors are good for early game , but if you are looking for an easy hunting pack , you should try getting 5 or more trikes. They are easy to find and tame. They can level to huge hps, and best of all they have that awesome knockback. 5 mid to uperlevel trikes can take down a rex or carno without getting a scratch, with that knockback i have even taken out alpha raptors and carnos. The knockback prevents them from getting hurt to bad and in numbers they are deadly.  

I usually skip raptors , i go from trikes to a good carno. Remember also you can get smart to tame hard to tame mounts. Build a pen out of doorways and a ramp up to it. Let them chase you right into the trap. This works great on the island north west shore, lots of carnivores. On the center i did same thing but put it on a raft. Pull up to dangerous area , lure it in the pen and sail off, tame it in a safe place. 

As far as raptors getting stuck , all dinos will get stuck. A good secret nobody uses is make them each follow eachother in a line. They will not bunch up and will navigate obsticals way easier. GG's

19 hours ago, rpicardi1 said:

Not all are on the Snow Biome on The Island. The Tundra on The Center is not as cold. And, Scorched Earth, the wolves are scattered everywhere except in the mountains and sand desert.

There was no specification on which map. Wolves on the Island are harder to tame than the ones on Scorched Earth due to where they spawn, which makes them not as easy to tame as Raptors  en masse because Raptors spawn on all maps in easy to reach areas.

Aside from the spawn locations, Wolves on the Island and Center spawn in packs, but on Scorched they spawn alone or in groups of 2 or so. However, the areas where Wolves spawn on SE are usually filled with Terror Birds, Sabers, Scorpions, and Thorny Dragons. Sometimes Carnos.

22 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

I think he was talking about thorny dragons, not manti, due to manti being gatherers of everything, btw, mantis is better than beaver due to it getting double resource collection, so you have one ascendant harchet that gathers 50 wood, with a mantis it would gather 100 and it would mine it 2 times quicker, therefore, if your in a more powerful tribe with good BP then a mantis is superior in everyway to the beaver

19 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

1: wolves don't always just spawn in snow

2: it's not that hard to survive in the snow biome, just hide behind a mammoth then run

3: no way a pack of 3 high level allos is an easier tame than a high level giga

4: you don't need a base and health brews to tame a wolf, on the center I tamed my first wolf at the tender level of 11

4:

Archived