An Open Letter to WC - This will change everything.

Jtmorris

Communication is key. Hold being defensive, and just listen. These are some simple ways you can grow:

Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but it appears that WC has taken note of the need for better communication and is acting to improve. I want the WC staff to take note that Their efforts have been noticed:

Dear Wildcard Staff,

I've noticed that their patch notes have been updated frequently since the SE release, informing us of what is coming. This helps us feel confident there is a plan in place and even if it changes, it's mitigated with the updated information. This is really appreciated by your fan's and customers. I know that yesterdays update was actually an update to the patch notes instead of the regular update, but do take note of the reaction from people because of your communication - far less explosive than if the notes update came days after everyone was wondering what was going on, or worse, they have to wait until one of the staff happens to mention something on twitter which would then be re-posted my a member on the forums.

I know communication is not easy to keep up with, but it is important. And continue to strive to get better - we appreciate your efforts! 

Also, we do not expect perfection, but efforts. Yesterday's notes update I'm sure could have come sooner than the expected day of the patch, but at least they came. We appreciate that. In 2016 we want companies who are authentic, who can admit mistakes, own them instead of blaming of excusing, and work to improve. You are moving in a positive direction over the past 2 weeks. 

Might I recommend (take these with a grain of salt):
- Create a communications action plan. A standard operation procedure (SOP) can be simple to make and will ensure internal accountability and clear expectations.
- Give as much notice as possible with change. People hate it, so help ease them into it by giving as much notice as possible. Saying nothing is the worst approach.
- We loved the suspense about the 'Something Big announcement'. Hype is awesome. Though this was a big surprise to some and not communicated well.
--You can communicate mysteriously while still preparing people for change. It would have been just as hype if people knew the DLC was coming but didn't know what it was exactly. As it was, people already figured out that SE was coming, so choose what should be kept mysterious carefully. 
- Start communicating about some of your other 'side' projects now in light of the communities failure to understand how business works. Start updating on the progress with Primal Survival (I'm assuming another DLC), future DLC maps like SE, and so on. People need to see and learn that this is part of your overall goal and strategy. Don't assume competence when it comes to communication. There are many in this forum that feel if you put 10 artists on one project that will be better than 2. 
- Let us know sooner than later about the Ark completion date. If there have been delays and it won't be out this "holiday season", just communicate the schedule, don't wait until November or December to tell us that it will actually be March. Tell us now. You must shape and mold our expectations. 
-- It is also important to communicate when the 'bugs' will be fixed. It seems that most people are upset about those things. (I wonder if posting a master list of known bugs that are being addressed from now until the final release would be helpful to calm people and make them feel heard?)
- If the communication fails in the future - own it, and fix it.
- If this improved trend is too difficult to maintain, either hire a PR/communications person or delegate that to a single mastermind.This will save you a lot of headaches. When you have one person who loves to do communications, using their skill set, it's a wonderful thing.
- Don't be too discouraged by the complainers, just ask the question "What do I need to learn form their complaints? Is there an element of truth that needs to be addressed?" The squeaky wheels can be very disheartening. Listen , learn, change if needed, and press on.
(Edit: added) - Lack of communication is not good communication. Refusing to comment on or provide information creates confusion. You know the whole situation, but don't forget that others don't. Good communication is giving more information, not less.

And please keep in mind that you made these angry and passionate individuals by making a crazy amazing game. The WC staff has done an absolutely amazing job at so many things! I have to say that this is probably my favorite game of all time, usurping my previous favorite. Please continue to innovate, expand, press forward, give us amazing content (and hopefully some story someday too ; )  ), but be humble and teachable along the way. We will continue to support you and offer much grace as you learn and bring us with you on this amazing journey. 

Thank you Wildcard staff for this experience you are creating for your customers and community.

Sincerely,
jtmorris

Yep, agreed, thanks for writing this.  Well thought out and written, I know as someone work works with external customers now and then as part of a software company, that this sort of communication is great to have from customers and agree that this sort of communication in the opposite is key to having more success in what you do.

Yeah, FWIW most companies don't seem to do it well, it really is a hard thing to get right and is definitely something that folks/companies learn as they go along.  Too much information and customers call you on every nit/error/etc and expect more.  Too little and folks make things up which doesn't help you either.  Getting the balance right is hard to do.  Even the companies I've worked for get it wrong now and then even after getting it right.  LOL

Agree with the post @Jtmorris. As someone who has worked as a Community Manager as well as Customer Service manager, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Communication is key to maintaining and client base that is healthy. Without such, things turn sour very easily as we've seen. The problem WC have is they have 2 people who are designated Community Managers, yet do very little in actually communicating with the community outside of Twitter. Undoubtedly they have other tasks to do outside of this, but if you hold the title, you need to do it effectively.

Communication always increases after a main patch, the sad matter is it if often short lived, lasting a week or 2 before the major bugs introduced in it are ironed out, and then dropping off until the next big release. An unfortunate pattern that I'm sure I can't be the only one to have noticed. 

I don't really want to say much more on this subject since It'll just come across as salty which is far from the case. I've already discussed with one of the devs on how to improve matters, but have had to directly call them out to actually act on it. 

I'll end with the fact communication has been commented on a number of times, and even their own Community Manager (Jat) has stated they have no intentions to improve on it. Take that as you will.

20 hours ago, Jimmy NoShoes said:

... I'll end with the fact communication has been commented on a number of times, and even their own Community Manager (Jat) has stated they have no intentions to improve on it. Take that as you will.

Ya, I've heard snippets that they are not interested in improving this area. I sent this letter to a support email, but never received any reply whatsoever.

My thought was to give a little positive reinforcement (see something good, and comment on it). I hope they don't take the antiquated prideful Popeye approach (I yam what I yam), and instead the higher ups will make some intentional changes.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I have faith they will hear the larger call for better communication and will improve. I think the team is made up of smart individuals and problem solvers.

Let's cross our fingers and keep sharing this sort of thing with them (Who knows if they will even see it though...), then we will get to enjoy the process even more!

Let's also add in that when we do a Q+A on twitch, that we let someone who's played the game before play, and that we'll answer questions that the people watching ask. 

There were huge huge things people were asking, such as 'will we be able to transfer official to official characters' etc etc. And all that would be answered was what type of hat Jerboas could wear.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 9/18/2016 at 8:55 PM, Jtmorris said:

I wonder why this was moved to off topic? Isn't this where posts unrelated to Ark go? I was hoping this post would be far more constructive than the angry trashing going on in other posts in General forum. Hmm. 

This was moved to off topic as it has less to do with Ark than it does with talking about (and to) Studio Wildcard. We do not engender bias nor favoritism, so any unrelated thread is sent here. It does not matter if they are praising Wildcard to high heavens or damning them to the deepest bowels of hell. If you wish to speak about Wildcard, that is fine, as long as you do so in the appropriate section.

As an aside, people need to stop with the mentality that they're somehow being punished by having their off-topic threads being moved to the off-topic section. You aren't being punished. Moderators are just doing our jobs. We go day after day sorting threads into their proper places; like Scorched Earth bug reports being posted in the bugs section rather than the Scorched Earth bugs section, or server advertisements being posted in the general section. This is no different from that.

19 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

This was moved to off topic as it has less to do with Ark than it does with talking about (and to) Studio Wildcard. We do not engender bias nor favoritism, so any unrelated thread is sent here. It does not matter if they are praising Wildcard to high heavens or damning them to the deepest bowels of hell. If you wish to speak about Wildcard, that is fine, as long as you do so in the appropriate section.

As an aside, people need to stop with the mentality that they're somehow being punished by having their off-topic threads being moved to the off-topic section. You aren't being punished. Moderators are just doing our jobs. We go day after day sorting threads into their proper places; like Scorched Earth bug reports being posted in the bugs section rather than the Scorched Earth bugs section, or server advertisements being posted in the general section. This is no different from that.

I suppose it's fair for you to see this as not about the game play specifically. I've never been part of a forum that puts general discussion about the company into an off topic section. I just feel that this topic was swept away with the other topics about the DLC. If I had posted this two months ago, I would not have been moved (I can say this because there have been plenty of topics about WIldcard that have never been moved - an example would be the many threads about the Law suit - case and point).

And the off topic section IS a less read section, and so I don't feel punished, but it feels like the thread is 'muted' in a sense as less people will see, read, and respond to it. I feel this is an important issue and it would be good for this thread to be noticed by WC - who probably don't spend a lot of their time in the off topic section.

Also, if there was not favoritism, and the off topic section is not a bad place to have your thread (Which I would consider regarding general communication about Ark) moved to, then try moving Jat's recent post about the photography contest to this off topic section. After all: it is not about Ark game play, it is about a contest. This thread about communication about the game, and others discussing the DLC and company actions, have just as much to do with Ark as the contest thread. - so try moving that thread here. If not, then why not?

Now, that's a rhetorical question, and this is a facetious request, because a) I don't think you need to explain your reasoning to me , b) I don't think you should move it because it is generally about Ark (as is this thread) and c) Jat would be upset because the contest would have less exposure and he would move it back

I do understand (as a moderator myself), that there is always a lot of sorting to be done. I just feel that this thread was inappropriately moved to the off topic section in the flurry of moving the other topics.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

I suppose it's fair for you to see this as not about the game play specifically. I've never been part of a forum that puts general discussion about the company into an off topic section. I just feel that this topic was swept away with the other topics about the DLC. If I had posted this two months ago, I would not have been moved (I can say this because there have been plenty of topics about WIldcard that have never been moved - an example would be the many threads about the Law suit - case and point).

And the off topic section IS a less read section, and so I don't feel punished, but it feels like the thread is 'muted' in a sense as less people will see, read, and respond to it. I feel this is an important issue and it would be good for this thread to be noticed by WC - who probably don't spend a lot of their time in the off topic section.

Also, if there was not favoritism, and the off topic section is not a bad place to have your thread (Which I would consider regarding general communication about Ark) moved to, then try moving Jat's recent post about the photography contest to this off topic section. After all: it is not about Ark game play, it is about a contest. This thread about communication about the game, and others discussing the DLC and company actions, have just as much to do with Ark as the contest thread. - so try moving that thread here. If not, then why not?

Now, that's a rhetorical question, and this is a facetious request, because a) I don't think you need to explain your reasoning to me , b) I don't think you should move it because it is generally about Ark (as is this thread) and c) Jat would be upset because the contest would have less exposure and he would move it back

I do understand (as a moderator myself), that there is always a lot of sorting to be done. I just feel that this thread was inappropriately moved to the off topic section in the flurry of moving the other topics.

If anything Off-Topic is a better place for it, as this is where all the juicy stuff goes down ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know we are all like children right now, just anxiously waiting for christmas morning so we can go out and tranq our new presents. Am I sad the patches have been delayed? Sure. Am I sad that the new breeding mechanics got cut? Yes, I was kind of looking forward to that. Am I going to fill my soul with brightly burning hatred for the world because of it? No. The excitement is making my insides giggle a bit, so I'll just focus on those feelings instead. Last patch we got a frekkin' Tapejara. I love this thing, I named mine A Horse with no name because I go thru the desert on it. It all comes down to your attitude I guess. I know Jeremy twittered codehumor about the new patch at what must have been well past midnight his time last night, so I am quite sure they are working their very best to give us all the presents we could ever dream off.

Either way, I am getting a bit off topic here, I only really have one small question, and I'm not sure the moderators, or even the developers for that matter would even know.

But is there any new information regarding if/when the patch will arrive? How is the overall situation at the office? Are people throwing their coffee at their screens screaming? Any small tidbit would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Best regards, and keep up the good work. You guys are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Jtmorris said:

This update was another example of poorly managed expectations. I'm flabbergasted that they would let this happen over and over. I really want to root for them, but I'm just shocked. 

+1.....but look on the bright side, they shut down an almost  1000 page thread and started a new one. This one actually had some resemblance of decent patch notes. Still would like to see more notes on what they nerfed....but I think they leave that up to player speculation 

Archived