Wyvern Egg without a Flyer?

warcryr

go down with a generator, a metal box, a few thousand ammo, and 4 or 5 autoturrets. build a one foundation box for the generator and surround it with auto turrets, set to target wild dinos and turn it on right as you head to the egg. I've heard wyverns die quickly to auto turrets. Nice part of this one is that it's reusable, make sure to turn off your generator when you're done.

These options I'm reading are pretty amusing  some of you guys are creative as hell! 

As to the OP.........or you could spend a hot minute making arrows, knock a bird out, put a saddle on it and then level up some movement speed and do it like everyone else. They are common on unofficial servers because it takes zero effort to get one, the only reason for them to be rare on Official is because of the Time-Gate's of Leveling/Getting Resources/Leveling Mount. 

Doing it without a flyer, you have Grapple, or Grapple. And I doubt you will live long enough to get out, which means spending insane amounts of resources to shoot everything over the nest. It literally makes zero sense to do it this way. Absolutely none.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 10:06 PM, FailureToReport said:

These options I'm reading are pretty amusing  some of you guys are creative as hell! 

As to the OP.........or you could spend a hot minute making arrows, knock a bird out, put a saddle on it and then level up some movement speed and do it like everyone else. They are common on unofficial servers because it takes zero effort to get one, the only reason for them to be rare on Official is because of the Time-Gate's of Leveling/Getting Resources/Leveling Mount. 

Doing it without a flyer, you have Grapple, or Grapple. And I doubt you will live long enough to get out, which means spending insane amounts of resources to shoot everything over the nest. It literally makes zero sense to do it this way. Absolutely none.

I'm still working on getting a Wyvern myself (without a flyer).

The reason I'm not doing "like everyone else" is because I think it's too easy.  The players on the server I play on all tamed and leveled fast Argys and are already gradually moving on to different games because they're bored with ARK and their Wyvern parking lots.  

I'm making things difficult on purpose.  I want my money's worth in this game; no flyers for me

On 9/14/2016 at 7:59 AM, mndfreeze said:

I wonder if you can whip the egg out of the nest...Then I wonder, would that trigger the wyverns since you are not 'picking it up.  Followed by the thought "how fast until the devs hotfix it if it does indeed break the agro trigger"

This sounds like a cool use for the whip. In another thread, someone said that anytime the egg is transferred from one inventory to another (even at your base), it can trigger agro of any nearby Wyverns. I've not tried it, but sounds like it would trigger agro. There was also speculation on some types of transfer having a shorter agro distance than others, so this might work if none were nearby.

This post got me wondering if it was possible to do this without a super fast argy,turns out it is. (on a side note, tame the argy, its really the best way to do this..you can prime tame a hi level argi in under 2 hours.). Here's what I  did:

I dropped a sleeping bag just above where a nest was. Then I parashuted down to a ledge near the nest... grabbed the egg and ran out to the ledge with it, away from the nest.... I then waited for the wyvern to agro on me and  proceeded to eat organic polymer and died. Basically the animal see its target as no longer, so it deagros. Now I sit back up on top of the mountain with 15 minutes to get to my bag for the free egg.. The nest is the trigger, that trigger expires once you take the egg from the nest. Now, I've only done this once, but I was able to use a stupid low level moth to get the egg without issue, but I see no reason why this couldnt be done with a gally or a raptor. You would just need to find a nest with a walkable path.

This was super fun and I got a pretty decent egg out of the deal (lv 96 fire) but I would never do it again. I could have gotten 3 eggs in the time frame it took me to get this one. Also, you're kind of limited as to which egg you take because you pretty much have to take whatever nest is in the best position to shute to. Good luck if you try this.

On 9/13/2016 at 6:39 PM, rpicardi1 said:

A combination of accelerated maturation, XP rate, gather rates, are the reason. They can also be spawned in by the server admin.

For sure. On my official server there is only one tamed Wyvern after 28 days. Eggs are the easy part, we've made a living selling them to people.

I've seen some YouTube vids where a player scaled the trench with a grappling hook.  Successfully got a couple of eggs that way.  The issue is getting out of there by tow line and on foot once you have one.  Same player scouted the upper nests along the trench first with a SpyGlass.  Trick was to plant your Grappling Hook and rappel down to nest, grab the egg and zip back up the cliff face to a fast ground mount.

It's much tougher than using an Argent... which you can also use to kite thick groups of Wyverns out of the trench and then come back for a cleaner steal.

21 hours ago, warcryr said:

I'm still working on getting a Wyvern myself (without a flyer).

The reason I'm not doing "like everyone else" is because I think it's too easy.  The players on the server I play on all tamed and leveled fast Argys and are already gradually moving on to different games because they're bored with ARK and their Wyvern parking lots.  

I'm making things difficult on purpose.  I want my money's worth in this game; no flyers for me

Oh you want difficulty? Have you tried playing on Official servers? 

Try spending 3 days begging for milk because your argent died to someones unloaded turret base. Then staying up 28-42 hours ( two different tribe members) and waking up to having someone have blown a hole into your base and killed your adolescent wyverns and all other tames and still sucking it up to rebuild what you had. That's a challenge  

Also you will need HIGH carry weight for all the grapples you will need unless you can grapple to a Wyvern and some how not die on your way out. (Grapple a Wyvern and have someone else aggro it) 

20 hours ago, Rancor said:

Oh you want difficulty? Have you tried playing on Official servers? 

Try spending 3 days begging for milk because your argent died to someones unloaded turret base. Then staying up 28-42 hours ( two different tribe members) and waking up to having someone have blown a hole into your base and killed your adolescent wyverns and all other tames and still sucking it up to rebuild what you had. That's a challenge  

Also you will need HIGH carry weight for all the grapples you will need unless you can grapple to a Wyvern and some how not die on your way out. (Grapple a Wyvern and have someone else aggro it) 

The things you say do sound challenging.

I don't play on officials for a couple reasons (mostly because it's so time consuming)

Archived