Wyvern Egg without a Flyer?

warcryr

I'm getting the feeling that there is pretty much 1 way to get a Wyvern Egg:   Tame an Argy, level up Movement Speed, fly down and grab one.

I went around perimeter of the big holes in the ground looking for a way down and really didn't see one (I'm going to look again but it looked pretty hopeless).  I feel like there has to be a way down and back up without flying; because it's pretty lame to have an open world game like ARK and then introduce objectives where there is really only 1 way to accomplish them.

And so my question to the community:

Has anyone been able to obtain a Wyvern Egg without using a Flyer?  If not, any one have any ideas?  I'm thinking some combination of rocket launchers, parachutes, and grappling hooks... something like that.

5 minutes ago, warcryr said:

I have an idea 

I want to hear community feedback first though mhahaha

I'm sure you could get lucky and grapple out if you found a spot that had no wyverns near. However, the aggro from stealing an egg is intense. I've looked back and seen 6-8 dragons following me across half the map. So you would need a loooottttt of rockets lol

Just now, NebraskARK said:

I'm sure you could get lucky and grapple out if you found a spot that had no wyverns near. However, the aggro from stealing an egg is intense. I've looked back and see 6-8 dragons following me across half the map. So you would need a loooottttt of rockets lol

Yeah.  maybe I can craft some "hot gates" (from 300), and blow them up all at once.  >:D

But it does sound like I'm going to have to kill them all to get out of there.

Well, you could have a parcer with a mobile base on the saddle (with lots of beds), then parachute down in multiple places until you can see one (re spawning at the bed). Once you see one, parachute down to it, pick it up and then do some miracle grappling to get back up
-or-
Have the Parcer follow you down.
You grab the egg, then jump down to the parcer. Grab the pre-built metal foundations, walls etc and madly build a small base - While your parcer is devastated by the wyvern attacks. After the wyverns are no longer have aggro on you, hop out and grab the air conditioners, generator, ballista and ammo, that you also stashed beforehand from the remains of the parcer. Bring those in your tiny base and hatch the egg right there. Slap the ballista on the roof and chain the wyverns to the ground so you can tranq them and take their milk. Then fly your new wyvern out of there and into the sunset.

or you could just use an argy, but where's the fun in that?

I imagine you could locate an area with only one or two dragons, kill them using guns or (better yet) homing rockets, then parachute/grapple down. Grab your egg, then grapple like crazy out of there. I think getting *out* is the harder part of this whole endeavor, and while I think it's possible with grappling, it'd be hard. Way easier to just use an Argy

When you said grab a parcel I thought you were going to suggest backing it up to the edge of the trench and building ladders down. Guess you could do that anyway. Put a foundation down the. A hatch frame and make a giant ladder to the bottom. Would be a fun climb back up I'm sure. Unless you coated it in metal walls... Hmmm sounds like a construction adventure. 

Edit: someone on my server grabbed an egg with a moth. Technically not an argy but same concept. 

51 minutes ago, Multivitamin said:

When you said grab a parcel I thought you were going to suggest backing it up to the edge of the trench and building ladders down. Guess you could do that anyway. Put a foundation down the. A hatch frame and make a giant ladder to the bottom. Would be a fun climb back up I'm sure. Unless you coated it in metal walls... Hmmm sounds like a construction adventure. 

Edit: someone on my server grabbed an egg with a moth. Technically not an argy but same concept. 

I thought about how we could use a platform saddle to build a ladder down (or up), but then theres the build limit on the saddle (32 I think) so you won't get too far..

But I was thinking "what if you surrounded a ladder with metal wall?" at the same time I read your "Unless you coated it in metal walls." i loled

A lot of the ideas that come to mind involve dying on purpose or using beds to transport around.  Which kinda sucks because I wanna do this legit.   And for those of you that wonder why bother and just get an Argy..   it's because I'm a PvE player, and the fun is getting the Wyvern, not having one.  To me anyway.  Once I have one I don't know what I'll do with it.

Another idea was to pick up an egg, and immediately throw down a vault and throw the egg in there.  Then die.

Respawn, grab the egg from the vault and then figure out how to get out of there without a bunch of mad Wyverns after you.  I figured they don't care unless you grab the egg from the nest.

But.....  I think actually killing them off with explosives would be more badass than just using magical bed bulsh.

11 minutes ago, warcryr said:

Jeeez...   I'm surprised so many people have these things already.  I logged into a few unofficials the other day, and tamed Wyverns seem unexpectedly common.

A combination of accelerated maturation, XP rate, gather rates, are the reason. They can also be spawned in by the server admin.

2 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

Well, you could have a parcer with a mobile base on the saddle (with lots of beds), then parachute down in multiple places until you can see one (re spawning at the bed). Once you see one, parachute down to it, pick it up and then do some miracle grappling to get back up
-or-
Have the Parcer follow you down.
You grab the egg, then jump down to the parcer. Grab the pre-built metal foundations, walls etc and madly build a small base - While your parcer is devastated by the wyvern attacks. After the wyverns are no longer have aggro on you, hop out and grab the air conditioners, generator, ballista and ammo, that you also stashed beforehand from the remains of the parcer. Bring those in your tiny base and hatch the egg right there. Slap the ballista on the roof and chain the wyverns to the ground so you can tranq them and take their milk. Then fly your new wyvern out of there and into the sunset.

or you could just use an argy, but where's the fun in that?

This has some potential! ha ha 

Also yes you could plan something to do with parachuting in, grapple hooking out. Might want to sacrifice yourself a few times to lure the wyverns to one side of the canyon first so you are free to pillage the other. Not sure how hard it is to aggro them out of the canyon or to one side but it sounds like a do able option if you have the patience and supplies. 

47 minutes ago, Mount said:

Someone on my server has apparently taken to hunting wyvern eggs on a procoptodon -- apparently they're fast enough to outrun wyverns without dumping a massive amount of points into speed.  

By the same token, then, it MIGHT be possible to do it on a Gallimimus?

The roo seems like a good overall tame for the desert.. tamed a low lvl 24 last night for this reason. 

Parachute down there
Build litle metal base.
Make bed.
Grapling for an egg
jump down.
Run to the house if posible(if not respawn in bed, and go for egg from your body with grilla armor)
Put egg in some box
Wait till agro end(maybe relog help?)
Use grappling and go out from world scar

If you take egg from body, there shouldn't be agro.

4 hours ago, Mount said:

Someone on my server has apparently taken to hunting wyvern eggs on a procoptodon -- apparently they're fast enough to outrun wyverns without dumping a massive amount of points into speed.  

By the same token, then, it MIGHT be possible to do it on a Gallimimus?

I was thinking the same thing.   But I couldn't figure out how to get it down there to get an egg and back out, or any land creature for that matter.

Archived