Generator Damage and Wind Turbines

ShadowR

7 minutes ago, UnSettled said:

From my research, the above is incorrect.  I have tried multiple windmills and they all turn off every (in game) day at the same time.  In an 85% spot all the windmills turn off every (in game) day @ 1100 and back on @ 1500.  i have done this with up to 5 wind mills placed at different times of the day. doesn't matter. I watched it though multiple game days and it was very consistent. it doesn't appear to be an odds roll at all. feels very scheduled.

Well this is seriously an error with the server you're playing on.  Works for us we've had power up 100% of the time in our 85% wind base for close to a week.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The redditor's did a science thread on turbines and the prior poster is correct they all turn off at the same time, even across different wind zones.  The higher your percentage of wind in a zone just means they turn on again sooner.  It doesn't help to have multiple turbins in different zones, or in the same zone.  @Smash I'm just going to guess you guys just missed it happening because I thought the same thing for the first 3 RL days of playing until finally I happened to be on and around when it happened.

Seems like if they turn off all at the same time (youtube post confirms) that we'll all basically be required to build in 100% wind area on official PvP server or face the eventual inevitability that tribemates will be logged in near generators and generators will take damage and go down.  Then, when the raiding tribes do a sweep at the given in-game time when wind turbines are known to go down in a given area based on wind percentage, you're fair game.  Thus, it seems like we're required to build in 100% wind area on official PvP servers unless they make it more like the statistical overlap a previous poster suggested where enough turbines in 85% wind area should give you good coverage (this makes logical sense to me since if an area is a little less windy, you simply will need a couple more wind turbines).  Alternatively, perhaps they could include a "battery" down the road.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this since it's a related question: Will a wind turbine be operational out in 100% wind area and while completely enclosed (for PvP protection)?

I've been planning to test on single player, but haven't had a chance.

ive seen mentioned that Generators at unattended bases will just run till they have no gas left with no breakdown (other than switching off during electrical storms). i'm assuming it must work the same way that Dinos go into a status when there are no players around. has anyone tested this? and if it does work, how far away would the generator need to be? 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:51 PM, Smash said:

Wow, like 20 posts and no-one has cottoned on to the fact that you can have more than one turbine.

Constant power equals 0.35 x0.35 x0.35 x0.35 = 1.5% chance of all turbines in a 65% wind failing.

Too high?  5 will reduce the failure chance to about 0.5%

The only thing that seems to perhaps need fixing is that sometimes when the wind percentage gets rolled it occasionally catches all windmills that are close to each other.  Even then this could be by design to make people space them out.

This might be a stupid question, but how do you link the windmills? Just a piece of  straight wire?

On 20-9-2016 at 9:16 AM, ThatRickGuy said:

ive seen mentioned that Generators at unattended bases will just run till they have no gas left with no breakdown (other than switching off during electrical storms). i'm assuming it must work the same way that Dinos go into a status when there are no players around. has anyone tested this? and if it does work, how far away would the generator need to be? 

yes this is true, i clearly see this on my pvp server

On 9/21/2016 at 0:46 PM, AngelusMalus said:

I've build at 100% and the turbines do not come back online after a lightning storm sometimes. There is no way but repair generator every 5 hours.

We have seen this, too.

In a 100% wind, clear skies after a storm, no turbine power.

And there is no "ON" option for a turbine.

• 2 months later...
On 20/09/2016 at 8:16 AM, ThatRickGuy said:

So basically what your saying.... When I log off the generator will stay powered on and take no damage. Only switching off for an electrical storm, then back on due to auto power on after the storm ends.  However when I'm logged on the generator will gradually take damage if its turned on. If that's the case then I'm happy with the mechanic. As it's cheap to repair and it takes care of its-self when I'm offline.

Can anyone confirm this?

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:30 PM, Lexi said:

We have seen this, too.

In a 100% wind, clear skies after a storm, no turbine power.

And there is no "ON" option for a turbine.

Leave the area and return, they will return to work.

It is a bug, when storm finish, they doesn't update the state, but if everyone leave the area and return they do.

The problem is if this happens while someone tries to raid you... enemies obviously won't leave the area and you will be raided even having 10000000 autoturrets.

It is a serious bug that should be fixed.

23 hours ago, wimthetim said:

So basically what your saying.... When I log off the generator will stay powered on and take no damage. Only switching off for an electrical storm, then back on due to auto power on after the storm ends.  However when I'm logged on the generator will gradually take damage if its turned on. If that's the case then I'm happy with the mechanic. As it's cheap to repair and it takes care of its-self when I'm offline.

Can anyone confirm this?

The generator takes less damage if it is not being rendered, similar to a dino in stasis eating significantly less food. The issue you will run into is that you are not the only thing that renders your generator. Any player character or tame that comes within render distance of your generator will render it and it will take normal damage-over-time. 

This game has too many mechanic that assume / require a 24/7 tribe roster. While some tribes have this (mostly Alpha tribes), the vast majority of the player base will need to--lol--not have players logged in at all times doing chores. If they want to make it hard, fine, but make it hard, not stupid.

It seems to me that WildCard believes the concept of "hard" to mean "takes a long time" or "takes an inconvenient amount of time". Personally, I would like to see more skill-based difficulty in this game.

Electricity on Scorched - solution brainstorm

1. Cut the decay rate by 75%. The generator decay rate is absurdly fast. Simple as that.
  2. Chain back-ups. Example: Gen (1) is on. Gen (2) and (3) are back-ups in the chain. Gen (2) and (3) are off. Gen (1) powers off > Gen (2) kicks on. Now Gen (1) and Gen (3) are offline. Gen (2) powers off > Gen (3) kicks on. Now Gen (1) and (2) are offline. If Gen (3) goes offline now your entire grid is offline.
  3. Insulation affects decay. Allow for insulation ratings to influence decay. Max insulation rating should cut the decay rate by 75%.

Solution (1) requires no skill. Solution (2) and (3) require more than zero skill, but still are more along the lines of difficulty as an inconvenience.

Does anyone else agree that we could use more skill-based difficulty in this game? Perhaps repairing the generator could be a skill-based mini-game, like fishing. The better you perform the game, the more effective the repair is (the longer it will last). Something like that ...    

• 2 weeks later...

Yep it makes sense that they take damage from a lightning storm..most modern buildings have surge protectors /breakers and a lightning storm would cause a surge due to no grouding....maybe they could add electicty rods you see on old building to stop damage to generators but unless that happens it makes perfect sense that a generator takes a surge due to the storm..shuts off and takes damage in the process

• 1 month later...

An idea for a battery would have to be based off the idea of the electric prob cause it seem to be the most mobile power source that needs a refill (Angler gel) so Angler gel in some container to make battery. Other choice is combine polymer ,metal , electrical boards for container, then use water slash irrigation system and change sulfur in to sulfuric acid which then turns in to electrical charge or synthetic Angler gel which then can be hooked to grid and used to power slash hold power from gen/ turbine. I say sulfur and water cause most batteries contain sulfuric acid and water to create electrolytes and which can then be used as power.

I agree, when I started on SE I wasn't aware that the wind was something important. My base was built in 20% wind. So I either had to pack up and move everything to the desert (difficult to do since I was still starting out) not to mention that's already pretty packed and harder to defend or stay and have no power. I couldn't login every day to repair the generator, let alone farm the mats to get it. Luckily, I looked around and found an "Unknown Region", which allow 100% power. So put a wind turbine on there and stretched out the power cables as far as they'll go lol. Look around your place, you might have an Unknown Region near you, they're only about 2x1 - 3x2 foundation lengths in size. 

The whole system needs a reworking. From multiple playthroughs on scorched, I have seen the glitches and way the windmills work. Depending on your wind percent, your mills will be on and off at set points through the day decided when you place down the mill. I'll try to attach a pic to show. Once connected to a windmill powered grid, a gene with auto on will activate ONLY when the windmills power down. If you are hit by a storm, and have your mills destroyed in an attack while the storm is going, once it's done, your gene will NOT reactivate. Which means either a couple of dudes with flame arrows or one dragon or Rex can effectively neutralize your entire defense. I understand why they did what they did, and what they were going for. And it was kind of cool. Made it seem a little more authentic. But if my genes are overheating, THEN LET ME COOL THEM DOWN, like any server room over locked PC or piece of heavy machinery EVER. Don't just attach it to some arbitrary server option. The same with domicile penalty when not in adobe or thatch. Fine do that, (Even though it makes no sense as stone is commonly used in the desert since it's a very good insulator staying cool during the day and warm at night, but ill let that one slide since, you know, Dinosaurs and alien artifact and all, reality is already shot in he foot) But then make me install windows for airflow. Make us get creative, and give a use for things almost no one uses, because they are currently useless. Or fix it in one of three other ways.

1. Make windmills stone structures at the very least- they're huge vulnerable and need to be at least partially revealed. And I used metal and electronics to make the thing, where the heck did wood come from?? Come on guys you should have seen this one coming.

2. Let us chain genes- they're cheap. So is gas. So let me mass produce a power plant.

3. Or fix the code so genes turn on when needed, and off when not- this one is so obvious it hurts. If the thing is needed as a in case of emergency power supplier, it needs to go offline when the emergency is over, and it needs to come online when it's needed ever. Not just when windmills go out.

On 12/31/2016 at 8:02 PM, Moodster1986 said:

Yep it makes sense that they take damage from a lightning storm..most modern buildings have surge protectors /breakers and a lightning storm would cause a surge due to no grouding....maybe they could add electicty rods you see on old building to stop damage to generators but unless that happens it makes perfect sense that a generator takes a surge due to the storm..shuts off and takes damage in the process

The problem is that's not what happens. Electrical storms have a local effect that turn off all electrical devices, and basically any non primitive weapons. Occurring more often in the flatlands as opposed to the mountains. They receive no damage. The damage comes from a server setting for anytime a generator is running. Just about 7 hours worth from the 1000 health generator. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/13/2016 at 4:35 AM, ShadowR said:

Hi fellow ARK players and Devs.

I have a serious issue with the way electricity works on Scorched Earth. The generator basically lasts 1 day then it's broken. Now do the devs seriously expect me to log in every single day to fix the generator ? That's absurd as i'm working long hours and don't have the time to maintain the base every single day and i'm sure many other players who work for a living and don't play ARK for a living feel the same way. Also i'm going away for a week ? what then ? On the normal maps this is no issue, just stack gas in the gennie. 

Current setup: Wind Turbine connected redundantly to a generator.

When the Wind turbine stops working (65% wind) my generator kicks in, but the issue is the generator does not turn off when the wind turbines are active ?? Seriously why have they not implemented something like this. Surely the generator will then last longer in the first place if it powers off when not needed.

Solution:

Either implement something like the above mentioned where the generator turns off when the wind turbines are active and/or at least extend the time it takes for a generator to take damage. I I have no issue with the generator taking damage as i enjoy the realism factor, but i can honestly not have an enjoyable experience with the thing breaking every day. Every time i log in the base is raided clean. Why ? because there is zero defense with the current way electricity works.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to your constructive replies.

I'm not sure if this is related but I have an issue that my wind turbine in a 85% wind location on a mountain top directly beneath Red Obelisk loses power when my generator dies due to this not shutting off and needing constant maintenance. Has this happened to anyone else? A fix for this would be super nice. Electricity is such a hassle to deal with. :(

Surely by now someone's found a fix?

Archived