Generator Damage and Wind Turbines

ShadowR

Its plain stupid that you need to fix it. in 4 hours play you need to almost fix it 8 times. Thats not the worst... the worst is when you dont fix it it wont just break, it will dissapear. IF it breaks let it sit there waiting for repair. not destroying the whole thing.

And ffs atleast make a server option to turn this ridiculous poop off! Im playing in self hosted password protected server. i dont want to fix my generators. Almost eveything can be set in a server. Why not let people decide to shut off generator decay???

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Build a base in the dunes, or somewhere that has 100% wind. There are a ton of flat spits near the map border all the way around the map. Hold the select button and it will show you the wind percentage. Trolls tend to stay out of the dunes, and since you mentioned you've been wiped several times, just relocate to a 100% zone and your turrets will work indefinitely.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 12:35 PM, wimthetim said:

So basically what your saying.... When I log off the generator will stay powered on and take no damage. Only switching off for an electrical storm, then back on due to auto power on after the storm ends.  However when I'm logged on the generator will gradually take damage if its turned on. If that's the case then I'm happy with the mechanic. As it's cheap to repair and it takes care of its-self when I'm offline.

Can anyone confirm this?

Confirmed.  Generators go into stasis when no player is rendering them.  They lose 1 durability per hour in stasis.  On my legacy scorched, we had a genny at the red ob, our green ob base and our mountain base.  I worked out of green ob base.  If no one else was online, the other gennies barely took any durability.  When some jerk would AFK in the mountain base, the genny would pop in like 8 hours.

The worst isn't the degradation.  Gennies go into stasis when they aren't being rendered, so logging out shouldn't be an issue so long as your base isn't in a high traffic spot.  No.  The worst part is that gennies degrade 6x faster in 6x damage zones.  This means no gennies in the obsidian cave or any cave. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a Bug with wind turbines, where they don't necessarily turn back on at all after a storm.

The bugs with regular generators and turbines, combined with the already crazy spoil timers in scorched earth (if you've tried to raise juveniles via trough it's pretty crazy), make this extremely frustrating.

Has there ever been a dev statement clearly stating how the wind/turbine/storm/generator system is supposed to work? Would be very helpful for actually testing if it's bugged one way or the other.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:53 AM, Retorik said:

I'm not sure if this is related but I have an issue that my wind turbine in a 85% wind location on a mountain top directly beneath Red Obelisk loses power when my generator dies due to this not shutting off and needing constant maintenance. Has this happened to anyone else? A fix for this would be super nice. Electricity is such a hassle to deal with. :(

Surely by now someone's found a fix?

all of this is covered in this thread.  Generators during a storm take damage and must be repaired.  Wild turbines need 100 percent location for wind to be powered most of the time.  You are in 85 percent so it will go down here and there if you are using wind power.  A turbine is only active 85 percent of the time so you must be see it down 15 percent of the time.   It has been reported by many that turbines seem to not come back on but I've not witnessed that, I run both when I played scorched and maintained my generator as often as I could.

Archived