best way to kill Deathworms?

Vaskur

So.. there is this one Crature in SE that awakens this urgent desire to have it.. The mantis. But since it only eats deathworm spikes, its difficult to even think about taming one. So i was wondering, if there is a good way to kill lthe worms. The wiki only says "yeah.. use a Golem" but that one is no option, since yu can´t tame them on mrimitive (because there is nothing you could knock them out with). So i thought about alternative Ways. is there any animal that is able to challenge them, other than Golem or Wyvern? what about a stronger Rex? I Just have no idea, how strong those worms are.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A decent-level Rock Elemental can solo a lower level Deathworm. For higher level Deathworms and Alpha variants, I would strongly recommend having either a few Rock Elementals to both tank and deal DPS, or use Lightning Wyverns (since they can't hurt each other) to force it to pop above ground by baiting it, then fly away and let your teammates roast it. I would not personally try taking one on with any other Dinos, though

21 hours ago, Vaskur said:

The wiki only says "yeah.. use a Golem" but that one is no option, since yu can´t tame them on mrimitive (because there is nothing you could knock them out with).

6 hours ago, Tala2891 said:

My group and I have taken them out with rock elementals. 2 decent level ones should (key word should) take out a lower level one.

31 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

A decent-level Rock Elemental can solo a lower level Deathworm.

Hooray for reading comprehension skills!

catapult does 7 topor per hit. need like a few thousand to knock it out.  As far as the worms go we tag teamed some last night with two rexes (mate boosted) there were a 68 female and 60 male at tame and were at level 120 (female) and 108 (male) after leveling up. We had one rex in one in back so only one gets hit at a time and the worm seemed to trade off between us. We would both lose about 25% health per fight maybe a bit more. All points after tame in the female were in melee so only about 5k health on the female. 

Overall it wasn't as bad as i feared it would be. I was also able to walk faster than the worm moved so running away wasn't really an issue. We did see an alpha worm but we declined to engage that one

I can take out level 1 deathworms consistently with a high level rex (level 92 base tame, and it's at level 184 right now).  Focus on leveling health first, then damage.  Before you go hunting for worms, go hunting for meat. . . . lots of meat.  After a worm battle, the rex (starting at 9-10k health), should end at around 3-4k health unless something went wrong.

Worms are the only things that will even think of picking on a rex out there, so after you kill it, heal it up to at least half-way with meat before heading home.  That way, if you get attacked by another worm on the way back, you can run to safe ground in time.  Or, alternatively, heal it all the way up before heading back, and then get a second worm as a bonus!

First is this your server or an official one?  The reason is the primitive part, does not seem like its an official as WC does not seem to want to limit on ScE expansion and Primitive plus is not yet certified for ScE yet hence the reason why you might be having issues with the Golem. 

However that being said, be prepared just in case you lose a dino and your life, but any dino that can get around 500 melee is a good start, and the more health the better if you are trying to solo it.  You only need a max of 4 spikes for a level 120 so if you make it past your first you should be good unless its the Alpha, then run, just run and don't look back.  If you really want several death worms go in full force, don't leave anything to gamble if indeed you want a Mantis.  They are cool btw

If you have a few sabers say maybe 3 that are the highest you can find, you might be able to take a few on, but I'm sure you might end up losing two of them in the battle as well again if you are doing it solo, but the more friends you have the better to distract and fix a specific aggro on something else

Also Added with update, dodorex says it takes 25 however I'm using only 4 at the moment on my server settings.  I've seen other popular servers that must be running the same as me but never mentioned they are as well running the same.

11 hours ago, ehuhoser said:

However that being said, be prepared just in case you lose a dino and your life, but any dino that can get around 500 melee is a good start, and the more health the better if you are trying to solo it.  You only need a max of 4 spikes for a level 120 so if you make it past your first you should be good unless its the Alpha, then run, just run and don't look back.  If you really want several death worms go in full force, don't leave anything to gamble if indeed you want a Mantis.  They are cool btw

On an offical my calculators are showing that 4 spikes isn't even enough for a level 4?

12 minutes ago, Med said:

mmm no battle pterra so get wolf then battle rex seems next logical choice.

Wolves.

Plural.

A high-end boosted pair can take a deathworm, but it'll hurt quite a bit, I suggest bringing 3+ though something with a saddle might be a better choice. 

As I see it, there are three options to take them down. 

At a distance, with rockets and fire. (Super Dangerous)

Tank it. An elemental or strong rex to grind it down. (Risky)

The pack. Carnos and wolves, mostly, though sabers and rexes can be included, the idea being to load up on damage and try to bring it down fast. (risk losing tames)

2 hours ago, Mount said:

I haven't yet found worms, so I'm suggesting this blind..  Do the worms have an AOE effect?  If they don't, try a flock of several vultures -- they're basically the desert Dimorph:  Hits like a truck, and fast enough to dodge most reprisals.

keep running around the desert you will find them, we used 5 wolves and then realized 2-3 rex's could do the job easily

Archived