My summary of Wyverns

Tatsu86

I thought I'd post this thread to bring to light all the facts & findings I've made concerning Wyverns. I'll discuss the uses of each Wyvern & their element, breeding, using them in battle, using them as Quetzal substitutes & more.

Getting a Wyvern: First thing you need to know, that I'm sure most do. You cannot conventionally tame Wyverns through tranquilizing & offering meat or kibble. You have to travel to the North-West portion of the map, past the Red Obelisk and travel down into the "Dragon Canyon" or Ravine that they nest in. Once inside, you'll need to carefully search for nests. 9x out of 10, there will be an Egg in nests made by Wyverns, on the Egg will detail identical levels from the parents, once you take that Egg, expect all hell to break loose, if you weren't already in a tough situation.

Raising a Wyvern: So you managed to plunge into a literal Hell on Earth & come out with the prize of the Desert, a Wyvern Egg, congratulations, you still have a little ways to go. You now need to concern yourself with 2 major aspects. 1st: building a suitable nursery for your Wyvern. I've seen a few configurations, but I prefer to have no less than 16 AC units in a large U-shape to raise the egg, using either Windmills or conventional Generators to power them. 2nd: Obtaining Wyvern Milk for the baby. I've fought Alpha Female Wyverns and gotten milk from them, and I've tranqed females around the map to acquire milk from them in-order to raise the babies, but make no mistake. You have to have Wyvern Milk in order to raise them until full maturation.

RAISING A WYVERN TAKES 4 DAYS!!

The different Elements: Picking an element is important, Each Wyvern behaves differently when attacking and each attack has varying degrees of power. Fire Wyverns have, in my opinion, the strongest attack, their flames do a direct Damage over Time attack even after the inital blast of flame & it's quite nasty. Poison Wyverns have a uniquely powerful poison, not the kind of Torpor poison you might be used to from Meganeuras & Pulminoscorpius, this new poison is very lethal. Even with "infinitestats" on, you are not guaranteed to survive. It's also the longest ranged of all the attacks, being that it travels as a sphere of green substance and isn't limited in range. The posion can also take out low level Rock & Rubble elementals with some careful work. Lightning Wyverns are unique, their lightning attack does a small amount of torpor. They won't be taming you new animals anytime soon, but they might knock off a rider or 2 in combat that can make the enemy team's flying tames a whole lot less dangerous.

Wyverns of the same element cannot harm other wyverns, but some like Lightning & Poison can hurt riders, even if they're in the same tribe.

Cargo & Transport: Surprisingly enough, these predominantly battle-oriented air mounts can be used quite nicely as a Quetz-style hauler, capable of picking up most stuff on the map, Because there do not appear to be any Quetzals on the map at the time of this posting, the Wyvern is your makeshift Air Cargo & Air Strike package all in one. Just about the only thing they can't carry are Woolly mammoths. It can pick up most everything else on Scorhced Earth with relative ease & speed.

Wyverns are Fast!! trust me, You won't hardly need to bost movement speed, at all or ever. They move fast into & out of battle, but their movement speed comes at the cost of mobility. The turning radius on a Wyvern is quite poor. They turn like Rexes in the air. After imprinting, a Wyvern's base speed, with almost 100% imprinting, raises up to around 120% - which is very fast.

Conclusion: What we ultimately got with the Wyvern is Wildcard's attempt at a very high-end tame that dosen't break the game. Sure they have some nasty elemental attacks, but they themselves are not by any means invulnerable or beyond killing. You can spec them to have strong stats if you're willing to put time & effort into them, but they're still just as vulnerable as any other tame at the end of the day.

***Important info on Eggs*** After having now gone & raised a Wyvern on official and interacting with others & tribemates, the max level egg for Wyverns is officially 190

Thank you all for posting your info, stories & discoveries on Wyverns. This creature is why alot of us ultimately bought Scorched Earth & it more than deserves a comprehensive topic with excellent form users to post their findings. I appreciate all feedback & criticism so long as it's justified & leads us to finding out more on Wyverns.

Thanks all. If you discover anything else that should be updated - DM me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd actually say the Wyverns are more vulnerable than other tames, and would go further to say they are the second most vulnerable flying tame second only to a Pteradon. The lack of saddle is a lack of armor and despite what some may think a good saddle can turn a squishy tame into an unstoppable killing machine. Wyverns don't get that bonus to survivability so in PvP they will get hit and hit hard by turrets. 

I'm also a bit bummed to hear that the Poison Wyverns don't do massive Torpor with their poison. I was figuring that was their main utility. But this just means they are long range seige weapons vs the other two being close range strafers. 

17 minutes ago, DragoValhar said:

I'd actually say the Wyverns are more vulnerable than other tames, and would go further to say they are the second most vulnerable flying tame second only to a Pteradon. The lack of saddle is a lack of armor and despite what some may think a good saddle can turn a squishy tame into an unstoppable killing machine. Wyverns don't get that bonus to survivability so in PvP they will get hit and hit hard by turrets. 

I'm also a bit bummed to hear that the Poison Wyverns don't do massive Torpor with their poison. I was figuring that was their main utility. But this just means they are long range seige weapons vs the other two being close range strafers. 

Indeed, they don't reap the rewards of having a saddle and therefore, lost out on the Armor bonus, so it's on the onus of players to know the Wyvern they're raising & to make sure they spec into it correctly & use it for appropriate times. As for torpor, Lightning Wyverns do impart a bit of Torpor damage, not in the massive quantities most people were hoping for to tranq stuff with. It'd be more appropriate to say that the poison damage from Wyverns is more akin to Acid or a Bleed over Time, like a Giga's bite or Thorn from Destiny (nasty handcannon, look it up.)

On the not of saddles. I'm hoping (and let me know if people agree) at some point they add Dino armor that either replaces the saddle or is added to it as like a third slot (saddle, skin, armor). And if they implemented something like this the tames that do not require saddles as well as those that do would have an armor option. Make the armor quite expensive and take actual damage to durability as its worn. Would add to stuff like the dire wolf or the wyvern but making it expensive would keep it as very end game. 

Plus it could look so badass!

I have my growth rates boosted for babies, so I'm not sure how long exactly after their baby stage you need milk for, but to be safe, I'll say until they're adolescents. No, you cannot breed 2 Wyverns of the same element. I believe Wildcard made a decent decision here in doing this because bred Wyverns at 148 or higher would have been very over-powered on official servers, so unfortunately, you can't. You also cannot collect eggs from tamed females, they don't lay them. I'm still experimenting to see if you can acquire Milk from tamed females, but I think at this point in my findings, you cannot, your options are to kill Female Alphas, or tranq females (fire ones to avoid ranged attacks) at low levels, take the milk & run. Use Refrigerators while you can, after the next patch, Milk can't be stored in them anymore.

To the above poster, Multivitamin, you are correct so far. Wyvern Eggs only appear in nests within the "Dragon Canyon" up in the Northwest past Red Obelisk.

If anything of significance changes to Wyverns, I will post said changes as an addendum to the topic above & let you all know. I hope this info helps, good luck with your Wyverns, everyone!!

What's the best strategy for egg collecting? I read that a fast Argie for a snatch and run is the best. When I did an experimental run, which is what I do for new things that come out before getting serious, I found three eggs over a period of an hour, and encountered at least 3 wyverns that I wiped with a command. I attempted to fight a Lightning one out of the cave that spawned by the green obelisk (the second one that I found that way, mind you), but it's turning radius vs my fire wyvern was superior and it nearly killed me before I wiped. I can make the conclusion that going in legitimately for eggs will be rough if I'm not prepared to do so.

12 minutes ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

What's the best strategy for egg collecting? I read that a fast Argie for a snatch and run is the best. When I did an experimental run, which is what I do for new things that come out before getting serious, I found three eggs over a period of an hour, and encountered at least 3 wyverns that I wiped with a command. I attempted to fight a Lightning one out of the cave that spawned by the green obelisk (the second one that I found that way, mind you), but it's turning radius vs my fire wyvern was superior and it nearly killed me before I wiped. I can make the conclusion that going in legitimately for eggs will be rough if I'm not prepared to do so.

If you have a buddy to help you, this will be way easier, but in principle it will work the same either way.

Have an Argy with at LEAST 200% movement speed (any slower, and the Wyverns will catch you). Obviously a higher-level tame is better, and my poor lvl Argy, level 11 after taming, nearly got roasted because the stamina drains way too fast for comfort. Fly along the upper portion of the World Scar with a spyglass and look for nests. You can use the spyglass to see what kind of egg is in the nest, but sometimes the egg spawns in/below the nest, so you'll need to land in the alcove to check it out. Once you find a good egg, I would leave the alcove and wait until the Wyverns in the area have moved a decent distance away. Fly in, grab the egg, then get the heck out of dodge because every Wyvern in a pretty sizeable radius will be after you. They'll probably chase you halfway across the map or so, but as long as you stay ahead, they'll eventually lose interest.

If you have a friend, then you can either run decoy while they fly in and grab the egg, or you can just drop them, let them pick up the egg, and grab them when you need to make your escape. I would strongly advise against fighting other wyverns without either a Lightning or Fire wyvern of your own (Poison ones aren't great in aerial combat), and even then, I would kite individual AI out of the crag and fight them before grabbing the egg. If you do manage to get your own wyvern, you won't need to boost movement speed at all, especially if you imprint.

I grabbed my tribe's first egg using the above method--cruddy lvl 12 Lightning wyvern, but it's enough to get the ball rolling (it also helpfully hatched into triplets). Since then, we've snagged about four additional eggs. So, good luck! Hope this helps

To escape an alpha Wyvern you need more than 200 percent speed, trust me on that one, he was still just slightly faster than I with over 202 speed on my Argy, and was able to still even bite me.  As for level of eggs you can find them higher....my second attempt netted a 153 fire, albeit my first attempt I lost a 140 fire due to that same alpha I mentioned, and there can be and I've seen 3 alphas in that nesting ground.  Most Argy's at 200 will let you escape, my first bird aka gettawaybird rightly named was killed and worked great at around 250 speed, but I lost him due to a mistake and I tried to turn around and got ambushed.

36 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

I grabbed my tribe's first egg using the above method--cruddy lvl 12 Lightning wyvern, but it's enough to get the ball rolling (it also helpfully hatched into triplets). Since then, we've snagged about four additional eggs. So, good luck! Hope this helps

I will try this with my buddy when he's ready to do so. Now...Are you saying that one egg hatched into triplets or that there were three eggs in one nest?

5 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

I will try this with my buddy when he's ready to do so. Now...Are you saying that one egg hatched into triplets or that there were three eggs in one nest?

The single egg we grabbed spat out three baby Wyverns. It's a low chance of happening (~2% I believe), but it is possible. You'll obviously need to compensate by getting WAY more wyvern milk than you'd ever want to

On 9/7/2016 at 9:40 AM, TheRealTFreezy said:

On the not of saddles. I'm hoping (and let me know if people agree) at some point they add Dino armor that either replaces the saddle or is added to it as like a third slot (saddle, skin, armor). And if they implemented something like this the tames that do not require saddles as well as those that do would have an armor option. Make the armor quite expensive and take actual damage to durability as its worn. Would add to stuff like the dire wolf or the wyvern but making it expensive would keep it as very end game. 

Plus it could look so badass!

They actually, a while back, talked about adding dino armor. It's just a matter of time.

3 hours ago, AlexNovember said:

They actually, a while back, talked about adding dino armor. It's just a matter of time.

Yeah I've heard. But as far as I know they haven't said how (correct me if I'm wrong). This would just be my way. I've heard others say to add it based on the quality of the saddle or as alternate saddles

23 minutes ago, Smash said:

The speed is in desperate need of a nerf.  Base is about the equivalent on an 180% speed argy.

It's kind of like the quetzal and pteradon rolled into one for Scorched Earth.  It's the only disappointing thing I've found so far.

What's the need for the nerd for? Not only are they difficult to get once you get an egg, but finding a high level egg take insane time and energy. On top of that, the base stats are about that of a Rex with worse stamina drain. They aren't crazy strong and without a saddle they can be beaten.

I find the Wyverns look cool it was also already. They are good for transportation jobs otherwise they are pretty useless.

Someone with normal reflexes, which is not Overtired playing, or just fallen asleep at the keyboard can all attacks, except perhaps the first, easily escape.

The Wyvern are too big for most things for which they would be cool actually (Caves e.g.). Also landing with them is very difficult.

In principle, they are fats, oversized exercise goals for beginners.

I would reduce its size by 30-50%. The damage by 30-50% and considerably improve maneuverability.

5 hours ago, TheRealTFreezy said:

What's the need for the nerd for? Not only are they difficult to get once you get an egg, but finding a high level egg take insane time and energy. On top of that, the base stats are about that of a Rex with worse stamina drain. They aren't crazy strong and without a saddle they can be beaten.

Their base damage is probably 200, they're faster than pteradons, they have a breath weapon and it takes the same effort to raise a level 152 as a level 4.  Nor are they that hard to tame.  It would be a bit poopty on official, as you probably need to get milk every 3-4 hours for at least a day, but that's official for you I guess.

But the worst thing about them is that every simple one of your other dinos, even the ones that fly, become redundant once you get these things.

1 hour ago, Smash said:

Their base damage is probably 200, they're faster than pteradons, they have a breath weapon and it takes the same effort to raise a level 152 as a level 4.  Nor are they that hard to tame.  It would be a bit poopty on official, as you probably need to get milk every 3-4 hours for at least a day, but that's official for you I guess.

But the worst thing about them is that every simple one of your other dinos, even the ones that fly, become redundant once you get these things.

Yet someone on a battle pteranodon can easily take one down 

Making it weaker will just make it useless and not worth getting 

It's sucky maneuverability already is a huge negative on the wyvern already

4 hours ago, Smash said:

I mean for basic utility the Quetz does the exact same thing on vanilla ark even after the nerf. 

And for pvp (which no matter how you look at it is what the game was made for) you need more than just wyverns. Auto turrets will decimate a wyvern. Compared to a giga for battle it fills a different niche. And honestly a giga is even more "op" due to damaging stone and being a tank. On top of that and being a far easier tame I just don't see the wyvern as op.

In the ark meta the wyvern is more balanced than the top tier Dino's that we have at this moment. Maybe on scorched they are hands down top tier due to only having the Rex "which still tanks better" but overall it's not way over.

I logged on this morning to find that the only thing remaining of my juvenile wyvern was its death bag. the bag contained meat. and it had the trough indicator last night. and the trough was full of meat this morning so i know it didn't starve because of lack of meat. So it seems that the "only needs milk during baby stage" theory is a myth. It couldn't have been attacked because its in safe inside, none of my other argys in the area were affected. whats the deal?!?

8 minutes ago, gdawghafen said:

I logged on this morning to find that the only thing remaining of my juvenile wyvern was its death bag. the bag contained meat. and it had the trough indicator last night. and the trough was full of meat this morning so i know it didn't starve because of lack of meat. So it seems that the "only needs milk during baby stage" theory is a myth. It couldn't have been attacked because its in safe inside, none of my other argys in the area were affected. whats the deal?!?

The deal is that milk is it's 'meat' until it reaches maturity.  That's the only difference.

Archived