My summary of Wyverns

Tatsu86

1 hour ago, Smash said:

The fire Wyverns dot would ruin most pteradons in one hit, and it's an AOE.

If it hit them yeah, but a high speed ptera could put maneuver it because of its terrible turning radius. The only stat the wyvern has over the argy is damage and speed. It's health is the same if not lower, stamina is trash, and weight is the same. It's a minor step up that's gives you slightly more utility. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Smash said:

You're overestimating fire wyverns, their flame breath doesn't have as good of a reach as it seems and a pteranodon can barrel roll the rider off easily and then make quick work of the wyvern since they're suprisingly squishy without the bonus of saddle armour 

On 12/09/2016 at 5:30 AM, Scorpio said:

You're overestimating fire wyverns, their flame breath doesn't have as good of a reach as it seems and a pteranodon can barrel roll the rider off easily and then make quick work of the wyvern since they're suprisingly squishy without the bonus of saddle armour 

I think you're underestimating the damage a fire dragons breath does over the full duration of the tick.

On 12/09/2016 at 2:34 AM, TheRealTFreezy said:

If it hit them yeah, but a high speed ptera could put maneuver it because of its terrible turning radius. The only stat the wyvern has over the argy is damage and speed. It's health is the same if not lower, stamina is trash, and weight is the same. It's a minor step up that's gives you slightly more utility. 

lolwut?  I've matured a few that have come out close to 10k health without any levels at all pumped into it.

Yeah their stamina starts really low, fire is hard to really hit a good moving target, but once it does hit, it does a good amount of damage.  I think a ptera would do some work on a high level one without much damage.  But then again, some homing rockets since its low turning radius would make sort work of them as well....they would have to run away quickly once it locked on.

15 minutes ago, Smash said:

lolwut?  I've matured a few that have come out close to 10k health without any levels at all pumped into it.

excellent I have a 153 fire but no where near that health, maybe 7k pre-leveled stats, but i put a bit into melee and stamina as well....

5 hours ago, Smash said:

I think you're underestimating the damage a fire dragons breath does over the full duration of the tick.

I never said it wasn't strong.....

And what would be the point of a wyvern if they didn't have a good ranged attack? It's already hard enough to hit moving targets with the poison and lighting wyvern while the fire is strong but has a short range and they all consume a ton of stamina, but if it was weak they're would be no point to a wyvern since it's speed and turning radius makes it hard to hit or pick up anything with its melee attack wether the opponent is stationary or not, but not only that they take additional damage from projectiles unlike the other flyers making them almost useless against a base with turrets

15 hours ago, Smash said:

Then you're the only one I've heard of. I've seen hatched ones and they aren't super high stats. Sure a 150 might have high health but how many people have gotten a max level wyvern vs a max level argy? It's about practicality and most wyverns will be of low to mid level. Just realistically.

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2016 at 2:34 PM, DragoValhar said:

I'd actually say the Wyverns are more vulnerable than other tames, and would go further to say they are the second most vulnerable flying tame second only to a Pteradon. The lack of saddle is a lack of armor and despite what some may think a good saddle can turn a squishy tame into an unstoppable killing machine. Wyverns don't get that bonus to survivability so in PvP they will get hit and hit hard by turrets. 

I'm also a bit bummed to hear that the Poison Wyverns don't do massive Torpor with their poison. I was figuring that was their main utility. But this just means they are long range seige weapons vs the other two being close range strafers. 

They are not vunerable at all, like one them has 40k HP on official. It can tank 20 auto turrets easy, it can kill 2 deathworms at once easy, its just insane

On 9/7/2016 at 9:18 AM, Tatsu86 said:

I thought I'd post this thread to bring to light all the facts & findings I've made concerning Wyverns. I'll discuss the uses of each Wyvern & their element, breeding, using them in battle, using them as Quetzal substitutes & more.

Getting a Wyvern: First thing you need to know, that I'm sure most do. You cannot conventionally tame Wyverns through tranquilizing & offering meat or kibble. You have to travel to the North-West portion of the map, past the Red Obelisk and travel down into the "Dragon Canyon" or Ravine that they nest in. Once inside, you'll need to carefully search for nests. 9x out of 10, there will be an Egg in nests made by Wyverns, on the Egg will detail identical levels from the parents, once you take that Egg, expect all hell to break loose, if you weren't already in a tough situation.

Raising a Wyvern: So you managed to plunge into a literal Hell on Earth & come out with the prize of the Desert, a Wyvern Egg, congratulations, you still have a little ways to go. You now need to concern yourself with 2 major aspects. 1st: building a suitable nursery for your Wyvern. I've seen a few configurations, but I prefer to have no less than 16 AC units in a large U-shape to raise the egg, using either Windmills or conventional Generators to power them. 2nd: Obtaining Wyvern Milk for the baby. I've fought Alpha Female Wyverns and gotten milk from them, and I've tranqed females around the map to acquire milk from them in-order to raise the babies, but make no mistake. You have to have Wyvern Milk in order to raise them until their Juvenile Stage.

The different Elements: Picking an element is important, Each Wyvern behaves differently when attacking and each attack has varying degrees of power. Fire Wyverns have, in my opinion, the strongest attack, their flames do a direct Damage over Time attack even after the inital blast of flame & it's quite nasty. Poison Wyverns have a uniquely powerful poison, not the kind of Torpor poison you might be used to from Meganeuras & Pulminoscorpius, this new poison is very lethal. Even with "infinitestats" on, you are not guaranteed to survive. It's also the longest ranged of all the attacks, being that it travels as a sphere of green substance and isn't limited in range. The posion can also take out low level Rock & Rubble elementals with some careful work. Lightning Wyverns are unique. They can't harm other lightning wyverns & their lightning attack does a small amount of torpor. They won't be taming you new animals anytime soon, but they might knock off a rider or 2 in combat that can make the enemy team's flying tames a whole lot less dangerous.

Cargo & Transport: Surprisingly enough, these predominantly battle-oriented air mounts can be used quite nicely as a Quetz-style hauler, capable of picking up most stuff on the map, Because there do not appear to be any Quetzals on the map at the time of this posting, the Wyvern is your makeshift Air Cargo & Air Strike package all in one. Just about the only thing they can't carry are Woolly mammoths. It can pick up most everything else on Scorhced Earth with relative ease & speed.

Wyverns are Fast!! trust me, You won't hardly need to bost movement speed, at all or ever. They move fast into & out of battle, but their movement speed comes at the cost of mobility. The turning radius on a Wyvern is quite poor. They turn like Rexes in the air.

Conclusion: What we ultimately got with the Wyvern is Wildcard's attempt at a very high-end tame that dosen't break the game. Sure they have some nasty elemental attacks, but they themselves are not by any means invulnerable or beyond killing. You can spec them to have strong stats if you're willing to put time & effort into them, but they're still just as vulnerable as any other tame at the end of the day.

***Important info just found*** i just found a 152 Poison Egg, which confirms a new high level Dino / Creature starting point.

You never stated anything about the "exact" time it takes to raise the baby wyverns and how often you would have to obtain the milk. Any idea on how long it would take for both of those?

Is it just me or does anyone else really-like the poison wyvern... I just love that fact that its attack can go really far which removes the factor of bows hitting you. Then on the other hand you can use it to take out plant species on the island or even a base while stationary. Last but not least there is the poison effect, you can just get a Rex or get a dino stuck in spike walls and shot it 1-2 times and the poison will do the rest. Why do people hate them so much?

On 9/11/2016 at 11:07 AM, Smash said:

Then don't get near its mouth? Seriously it turns like a boat. A buddy of mine on his tapajara was messing around with me. He was flying circles around me and his passenger could have easily lit me up. 

Wyverns are weak. If your ptera gets hit with their breath then your fighting a wyvern wrong. Just because you can't beat one doesn't mean others can't. I fear the day trolls on tapajaras decide to do air battles with wyverns.  Be a sad day for wyverns, very sad.

22 hours ago, luckylegion said:

They are not vunerable at all, like one them has 40k HP on official. It can tank 20 auto turrets easy, it can kill 2 deathworms at once easy, its just insane

Lol troll much? 40khp Hahahahahahahahahahaha. 20 auto turrets. Lol. The only thing you said right was 2 deathworms at once. 

Let me assure you, without a picture of a 40khp wyvern on official, your lying. Best I've ever seen was mine for health which finished at 11420, and she couldn't get to 40k.

On September 10, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Scorpio said:

Yet someone on a battle pteranodon can easily take one down 

Making it weaker will just make it useless and not worth getting 

It's sucky maneuverability already is a huge negative on the wyvern already

You are incorrect sir. From official pvp experience, anyone on a good dragon is invincible Dino on Dino to any air mount. No matter how good your ptera is, tops your running 3k health. While you do have the advantage of a saddle, even at ascendant, it doesn't equate to the 20-25k health a 170-190 dragon egg can roll with after leveling. Also you will not out run them. Ever. On official, 204% speed ptera and 117.3 speed Wyvern, did a test giving the ptera a 6 second head start. The Wyvern caught it in 3 seconds. Add in that it has more stamina than you. Always.   A sprinting Wyvern can almost circle the scorched map completely at 1400 Stam, which is average to low. And lastly, go to single player spawn a lightning an go hit a dummy with 300 percent melee. Prepare to be sickened. Just wanna dispel this thought I keep seeing that a good battle ptera can take a good Wyvern. You can't don't try it. Personal experience, my 216 20k health 400 percent melee at the time poison Wyvern killed 3 230+ pteras in combat. Admittedly one of the guys basically barrel rolled into my bite and the second killed it, so maybe not too good a rider, but all three died, the last turning and running and being run down. And I wasn't even using my breath weapon. I lost 6k health during the fight. So maybe 5 or six guys, you might be able to do it. But 1 more Wyvern on his side slides the scale their way once again.

20 hours ago, Ezerix said:

You are incorrect sir. From official pvp experience, anyone on a good dragon is invincible Dino on Dino to any air mount. No matter how good your ptera is, tops your running 3k health. While you do have the advantage of a saddle, even at ascendant, it doesn't equate to the 20-25k health a 170-190 dragon egg can roll with after leveling. Also you will not out run them. Ever. On official, 204% speed ptera and 117.3 speed Wyvern, did a test giving the ptera a 6 second head start. The Wyvern caught it in 3 seconds. Add in that it has more stamina than you. Always.   A sprinting Wyvern can almost circle the scorched map completely at 1400 Stam, which is average to low. And lastly, go to single player spawn a lightning an go hit a dummy with 300 percent melee. Prepare to be sickened. Just wanna dispel this thought I keep seeing that a good battle ptera can take a good Wyvern. You can't don't try it. Personal experience, my 216 20k health 400 percent melee at the time poison Wyvern killed 3 230+ pteras in combat. Admittedly one of the guys basically barrel rolled into my bite and the second killed it, so maybe not too good a rider, but all three died, the last turning and running and being run down. And I wasn't even using my breath weapon. I lost 6k health during the fight. So maybe 5 or six guys, you might be able to do it. But 1 more Wyvern on his side slides the scale their way once again.

Lol, Someone decided to bring a dragon to our server just a few days ago, lvl 230~ lightning wyvern. And ate someones Mosa near red. 2 lvl 241/246 bred battle pteras, 2k hp, 1.5k stam 520% melee 320% speed.

They didn't even take damage, heck, the wyvern didnt get a chance to attack. They had to land 3 times each, but one guy engaged first so they always had someone on it as the other ptera bolted behind it and away and found safe ground.

Its all about the poopty turn radius of a dragon, compared to how the game reacts to a ptera leveled for speed. If you have broke the 300% mark, you will know what i mean. get it high enough and a short sprint allows you to fly sideways, or even backwards for a time. Its stupidly easy when facing the wyverns tail as your attacking it, reach the neck and just fly straight.

With argies it could be just as easy. But you would need to be aware of the wyverns attack size and turning circle.

Ultimately, if you know how the wyverns work, you can avoid alot of their attacks. The wyvern flying doesn't use much stamina, but its ranged attack does. Drain it of stam, force it to land, eat it.

1 hour ago, Saupe said:

Lol, Someone decided to bring a dragon to our server just a few days ago, lvl 230~ lightning wyvern. And ate someones Mosa near red. 2 lvl 241/246 bred battle pteras, 2k hp, 1.5k stam 520% melee 320% speed.

They didn't even take damage, heck, the wyvern didnt get a chance to attack. They had to land 3 times each, but one guy engaged first so they always had someone on it as the other ptera bolted behind it and away and found safe ground.

Its all about the poopty turn radius of a dragon, compared to how the game reacts to a ptera leveled for speed. If you have broke the 300% mark, you will know what i mean. get it high enough and a short sprint allows you to fly sideways, or even backwards for a time. Its stupidly easy when facing the wyverns tail as your attacking it, reach the neck and just fly straight.

With argies it could be just as easy. But you would need to be aware of the wyverns attack size and turning circle.

Ultimately, if you know how the wyverns work, you can avoid alot of their attacks. The wyvern flying doesn't use much stamina, but its ranged attack does. Drain it of stam, force it to land, eat it.

Then You faced a crap Wyvern rider. I haven't seen a 300 speed ptera race a decent imprinted dragon yet, so I won't say if it's faster or not, but if your facing multiple enemies you don't use breath weapons. Battle pteras are way to manueverable to hit with the currently unwieldy breath weapons. In that situation he was probably thinking nothing could touch him and blasting bolts willy nilly. If out numbered you focus in on one. They can't out run you, and they will land first. Then one lightning blast and dead ptera. Rinse and repeat.

19 hours ago, Ezerix said:

Then You faced a crap Wyvern rider. I haven't seen a 300 speed ptera race a decent imprinted dragon yet, so I won't say if it's faster or not, but if your facing multiple enemies you don't use breath weapons. Battle pteras are way to manueverable to hit with the currently unwieldy breath weapons. In that situation he was probably thinking nothing could touch him and blasting bolts willy nilly. If out numbered you focus in on one. They can't out run you, and they will land first. Then one lightning blast and dead ptera. Rinse and repeat.

Quite possibly, he only started using the breath attack half way through, i thought he was getting a bit frustrated by it.

I do know however that his wyvern could not keep pace. dunno about its stats/imprint, but both pteras were gaining distance whenever he tried to give chase, then the other would bite it in the ass.

And he cried like a little bitch for an hour in global after we killed it/him. Unfortunately he drowned himself before we could put his box name in a cage.

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 11:32 PM, TheRealTFreezy said:

Then you're the only one I've heard of. I've seen hatched ones and they aren't super high stats. Sure a 150 might have high health but how many people have gotten a max level wyvern vs a max level argy? It's about practicality and most wyverns will be of low to mid level. Just realistically.

Lots of ppl have wyverns with 7k plus health to start out with.. it's easier to raise a higher level wyvern so most ppl I've seen only get one low one to grab higher level eggs.. it's way more efficient..

5 minutes ago, Saupe said:

Quite possibly, he only started using the breath attack half way through, i thought he was getting a bit frustrated by it.

I do know however that his wyvern could not keep pace. dunno about its stats/imprint, but both pteras were gaining distance whenever he tried to give chase, then the other would bite it in the ass.

And he cried like a little bitch for an hour in global after we killed it/him. Unfortunately he drowned himself before we could put his box name in a cage.

It's like when you see a flock of tiny birds harassing a hawk... wyverns are more like bombers.. not something you bring into a dogfight.

3 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It's like when you see a flock of tiny birds harassing a hawk... wyverns are more like bombers.. not something you bring into a dogfight.

Poisons Definitely not good dog fighters, but lightning and fire are disgusting. If you are taking a good one on, use vertical axis. if your flying on the same plane as them all they have to do is turn head and zap or burn. Or use the pickup air brake ( pull back on stick then do the pickup attack, animation slows you down significantly) and blast you as you sail by. it'll be much harder for any of the wyvern types to get a bead on you if you're travelling up and down.

1 hour ago, Saupe said:

Good on you. I will always champion wyverns as the toughest most vicious air force in Ark so far, but even disgusting powerhouses can be taken down by teamwork and good tactics. It's one thing to come over with wyverns and use them to establish yourself, and rightfully enjoy the advantage that you put so much effort into (especially high imprints) but when you come over with one dragon just to randomly kill people? I hope your wyvern gets wrecked and you get 4 wasted days. The whining and bleating must have been sweet soothing music to your ears. Or eyes i guess since in chat. Too bad about no jail time though.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:39 AM, Jerky said:

Is it just me or does anyone else really-like the poison wyvern... I just love that fact that its attack can go really far which removes the factor of bows hitting you. Then on the other hand you can use it to take out plant species on the island or even a base while stationary. Last but not least there is the poison effect, you can just get a Rex or get a dino stuck in spike walls and shot it 1-2 times and the poison will do the rest. Why do people hate them so much?

I like them alot, but they are hard to aim, and lack the close up "shotgun" use of their breath weapon that the other two have, unless you happen to be a high level and craft the somewhat expensive and very low durability gas mask. Poor dogfighter as well. Its a bomber through and through.

So, I made a wyvern Anti Ptera build. 150% movement. 3k Stam, the rest health (currently 16k), finished with 340% melee so I'm leaving it. 

My thoughts, most people leave speed alone on wyverns. So I pumped mine to 150%. Its ugly, like super fast bullet kind of ugly. The melee was good, so I am Leaving it as is thinking, if I outlast a ptera, and can outrun/outchase them. Then I don't care how many there are, I will follow them until they land and kill them. With highish health for a wyvern, I can take a licking for awhile as I should be able to outrun pteras easy. Go slow to bait them, let them chase for a bit then click in boost (I call it boost due to non sprint is almost as fast as basic wyvern when sprinting, click in sprint....go baby go).

So if I can outrun, and chase well, then in theory i should be able to pick off ptera one by one.

I will test this as a old server has it coming, and we just finished hatching 18 wyverns, all in leveled. I'll post results soon 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/09/2016 at 10:18 AM, Tatsu86 said:

I thought I'd post this thread to bring to light all the facts & findings I've made concerning Wyverns. I'll discuss the uses of each Wyvern & their element, breeding, using them in battle, using them as Quetzal substitutes & more.

Getting a Wyvern: First thing you need to know, that I'm sure most do. You cannot conventionally tame Wyverns through tranquilizing & offering meat or kibble. You have to travel to the North-West portion of the map, past the Red Obelisk and travel down into the "Dragon Canyon" or Ravine that they nest in. Once inside, you'll need to carefully search for nests. 9x out of 10, there will be an Egg in nests made by Wyverns, on the Egg will detail identical levels from the parents, once you take that Egg, expect all hell to break loose, if you weren't already in a tough situation.

Raising a Wyvern: So you managed to plunge into a literal Hell on Earth & come out with the prize of the Desert, a Wyvern Egg, congratulations, you still have a little ways to go. You now need to concern yourself with 2 major aspects. 1st: building a suitable nursery for your Wyvern. I've seen a few configurations, but I prefer to have no less than 16 AC units in a large U-shape to raise the egg, using either Windmills or conventional Generators to power them. 2nd: Obtaining Wyvern Milk for the baby. I've fought Alpha Female Wyverns and gotten milk from them, and I've tranqed females around the map to acquire milk from them in-order to raise the babies, but make no mistake. You have to have Wyvern Milk in order to raise them until their Juvenile Stage.

The different Elements: Picking an element is important, Each Wyvern behaves differently when attacking and each attack has varying degrees of power. Fire Wyverns have, in my opinion, the strongest attack, their flames do a direct Damage over Time attack even after the inital blast of flame & it's quite nasty. Poison Wyverns have a uniquely powerful poison, not the kind of Torpor poison you might be used to from Meganeuras & Pulminoscorpius, this new poison is very lethal. Even with "infinitestats" on, you are not guaranteed to survive. It's also the longest ranged of all the attacks, being that it travels as a sphere of green substance and isn't limited in range. The posion can also take out low level Rock & Rubble elementals with some careful work. Lightning Wyverns are unique. They can't harm other lightning wyverns & their lightning attack does a small amount of torpor. They won't be taming you new animals anytime soon, but they might knock off a rider or 2 in combat that can make the enemy team's flying tames a whole lot less dangerous.

Cargo & Transport: Surprisingly enough, these predominantly battle-oriented air mounts can be used quite nicely as a Quetz-style hauler, capable of picking up most stuff on the map, Because there do not appear to be any Quetzals on the map at the time of this posting, the Wyvern is your makeshift Air Cargo & Air Strike package all in one. Just about the only thing they can't carry are Woolly mammoths. It can pick up most everything else on Scorhced Earth with relative ease & speed.

Wyverns are Fast!! trust me, You won't hardly need to bost movement speed, at all or ever. They move fast into & out of battle, but their movement speed comes at the cost of mobility. The turning radius on a Wyvern is quite poor. They turn like Rexes in the air.

Conclusion: What we ultimately got with the Wyvern is Wildcard's attempt at a very high-end tame that dosen't break the game. Sure they have some nasty elemental attacks, but they themselves are not by any means invulnerable or beyond killing. You can spec them to have strong stats if you're willing to put time & effort into them, but they're still just as vulnerable as any other tame at the end of the day.

***Important info just found*** i just found a 152 Poison Egg, which confirms a new high level Dino / Creature starting point.

Hi about the EGG LVL, i found a FireWyvern Egg lvl 170 at a official server. I dont know if this info add anything to u, but ...
And grats for the TEXT, is very useful tks

Archived