The A.R.C Chronicles: In Seas of Burnt Sand...

DaEndGame

The A.R.C Chronicles:                    IN SEAS OF BURNT SAND

Chapter 1: The Scorched Lord Beckons

“RRROOOOOAAAAAARRRRRRWWWWLLLLLL” comes a satanic call, vaguely similar to a sabre-tooth, echoing off of unseen walls. Aris opened his eyes, only to find himself standing in the exit of a cave. The cave itself exited into a wide ravine with ancient ruins clinging to it’s side and in its centre were the remains of monolithic columns that once held up, what would have been, a vast ceiling. Atop one of the few remaining columns, that was still completely intact, stood a malignant beast; the heat blurring out its features. It stood there staring, issuing a silent challenge, a dare to come and take its kingdom.

“RRRRROOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRWWWWWWWLLLLLLLL” declared the beast again, and the image sharpened. Aris could make out the head of a lion, with a black mane, a horn protruding from each side of it’s head. It had the body of a lion too, but it had mighty black, leathery wings, and the tail of a scorpion. Alas its eyes kept drawing his sight back to its face, they were pure yellow and is pupils were like that of a snakes. A strong presentiment of fear over came him when ever he looked in them, a fear the likes of which he hadn’t felt in a long long time.

He hadn’t felt such fear when he faced the ultimate lifeforms, the tyrannical lords of the 
so called “ARK’s”: The Broodmother, Megapithicus, and the mighty Dragon. They were all the size of a fully grown bull brontosaurus and bigger; in the dragons case, it was almost as tall as the monolithic Titanosaur. He had faced them all by himself, yet he had had help from The Beast when fighting them all. It was Aris and The Beast that the creatures of all the ARK’s now bowed before and they ruled peacefully. The only creatures that didn’t obey them were the pesky humans, of whom had named the “ARK’s” “ARK’s”…

“RRRROOOOAAAAARRRRWWWWLLLL” beckoned the creature again, as it landed with an earth shaking thud in front of him. “Walk through that cave,” it said a deep, hoarse and slurred voice, “go and see what challenges what the Scorched Lord’s kingdom holds…”  it uttered, “Go and see what awaits you in my Seas of Burnt Sand” 
His fear increase ten fold; none of the other ultimate lifeforms had the gift of speech ir at least hadn't displayed the ability before he had torn their throats out! (:P)

Aris turned around and walked through the cave, after a few steps everything went dark. Looking behind him, he discovered that the cave entrance had disappeared, so he continued on. After a few minutes of walking in the near pitch blackness, a bright, warm light appeared a few metres ahead. Once his eyes had adjusted, he noticed the caves entrance and three large eggs in a nest near it. One was green, one was red and the other blue, as he got closer to them he hud a thud echo from the cave entrance. He looked up and saw a large reptilian head peer over the top of the caves entrance, the mother had returned…

It crawled along the walls into the cave and Aris looked at it. It resembled the great Dragon, but it was much smaller and its wings were a part of its front arms.

“Ggggraaawwwlll” the dragon challenged, as it opened its mouth and he saw fire springing from its lips. Aris threw up his arms and felt heat as hot as the sun, yet he didn’t die. He cautiously opened his eyes and lowered his arms; he was surround by a vast and infinite expanse of sand dunes and was being baked alive in the suns excruciating heat. 

A name sprang to his mind…
“The Seas of Burnt Sand” he uttered with fear and contempt, “I WILL CONQUER YOU” he yelled in defiance; and the world faded…

…Aris burst upright from his nightmare, for that is what it was. He had been challenged by the Scorched Lord, a challenge that he couldn’t refuse.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also plan on having larger chapters, when possible of course. Sometimes there just isn't enough in each chapter's plot to prattle on about.

I can do a whole page of a plot but only get just over a page worth of a chapter. Then I can do a 6-10 dot points for the plot of a chapter and then write another three pages of the actual chapter.

8 hours ago, DaEndGame said:

Thank you very much, I try very hard. The chills were the aim for this one, frightening people generally gets people more interested. I'm going to try to keep that part of it a constant through this story.

Suspense is one of the best audience-keepers! I'll definitely be keeping up on this one; it'll be interesting to see where you take us.

19 minutes ago, Oreochema said:

Suspense is one of the best audience-keepers! I'll definitely be keeping up on this one; it'll be interesting to see where you take us.

My goal is to make every c...

*fights of ant drone*

...hapter end in a cliff hanger.

As a bit of a hint for where I'm taking you all, I'll say that it shall be where ever it is you choose to go...

38 minutes ago, DaEndGame said:

My goal is to make every c...

*fights of ant drone*

...hapter end in a cliff hanger.

As a bit of a hint for where I'm taking you all, I'll say that it shall be where ever it is you choose to go...

Ooooo are you writing one of those stories that give you multiple choices and endings like the until dawn game? That would be something

On 16 September 2016 at 11:57 PM, Kaprodonychus said:

Ooooo are you writing one of those stories that give you multiple choices and endings like the until dawn game? That would be something

In regards to this,

On 17 September 2016 at 0:27 AM, DaEndGame said:

maybe...              

maybe not...

maybe im just trying to make you all paranoid...

Alright, yes, yes I was trying to do it. Problem is when ever I sit down to write the 'cross roads' so to speak and then write the 'path' for each direction, I get major writing block. So I scrapped the idea, for now, and am just going to write the novella. 

I have been procrastinating the second chapter, so I wont say when I'll try to have it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, here is chapter two of In Seas of Burnt Sand! I hope you all enjoy.

BTW I would be greatful for any suggestions for this chapters name, for now though it is simply...

Chapter 2: Arrival

Aris looked at the fire, as it took to flame by itself, a shape was formed by it’s many tongues, it was the Scorched Lord’s beastly head letting out a roar of fire crackling. As the ghastly head’s shape disappeared, the constant light of the three obelisks flared brighter then the sun. They lit up the island as bright as day, yet the light left as fast as it came and Aris knew it was the Scorched Lord’s ‘official invitation’ to the “Seas of Burnt Sand” as he had called it.
The silent beckoning…

His urge to take up the challenge he was issued overruled all logical thought. To even consider declining would be a total self-undermining statement declaring that he didn’t deserve the reverence he had earned from the creatures this land. So he kicked out the last off the embers glowing in his campfire, packed up his belongings and climbed out through a hole in the top of the hollow redwood tree, which he had called home for many a year.

As he emerged from the exit, a bird whizzed by his head, eliciting a sigh of exasperation from Aris. The cheeky archaeopteryx had made a habit of trying to scare him every time he left his canopy home, and it let out its own sort of laugh in reply to the sigh. The ‘joke’ as it seemed to think it was, wasn’t funny the first few thousand times never would be. But, Aris had developed a bond with the small bird and he knew he would miss it’s familiar presence.
“Could you help me get down?” Aris asked of the bird, it jumped into the air in compliance  and he leaped for it’s legs as handles. 

The archaeopteryx, he had discovered, were very strong despite their small stature and were capable of supporting a full grown human in the air, but it could only glide. So he held onto it for as long and as far as it took to reach the ground, which happened to be most of the way to the green obelisk. As they touched down at the foot of the water fall nearest the obelisk, Aris said, “thank you friend, I will miss your constant and irritating presence!” and with that he turned,walked up the hill towards green obelisk and left the Archaeopteryx to it’s own devices.

After a few minutes he arrived at the northern entrance of the Interior, the valley that housed green obelisk, and entered Green Gully. Green Gully was a very short gully that lead to the Interior and was the safer and far easier to access of the two entrances. After the short walk through Green Gully, Aris arrived at the edge of the Interior and slowly walked around the seemingly natural crater-like land formation.

After another minutes walk around the Interior’s raised paths and along the land bridge that led to the natural pedestal, of which the obelisk’s terminal was housed upon. Once Aris had arrived at the terminal, he started priming it for cross ark transferal. As he had expected there was a new preset that he hadn’t made and all the presets were made by him. It was labelled The Scorched Earth, Sea of Burnt Sand.
“Mmmm, so someone has been there before me? That’s a first!” Aris remarked, as he initialised the transference procedure and slowly turn a around, watching the Island as it’s myriad of greens, blues and browns faded to every known shade of yellow and light browns.

The Scorched Earth was very bleak, with little if not any green at all. That was all the details Aris could see before the solid platform of metal gave way to soft, loose sand and he began to slide down the side of what he assumed was the top of a mesa. After only a few moments he was at the edge and he only just managed to get a hold of the mesa’s solid sandstone cliff face, holding on for dear life...

I like how Aris gets into the Scorched earth. As if he's completed his first journey and is ready to go onto his next one. In my opinion I think it's a bit too short. Maybe you could talk about the new land a bit more? Maybe he gets there and is already being hunted down by strange animal?

still like it bro. Good job 

Working on chapter length.

BTW he has been to other Ark's before. That is how he knows how to use the damn thing. I am actually about to do a heap of lore. It is mainly going to be about snippits from his past, as well as a his history with the other humans on the ark...

4 minutes ago, Kaprodonychus said:

Maybe he gets there and is already being hunted down by strange animal?

*imagine cricket noises for a long time*

9 minutes ago, DaEndGame said:

Working on chapter length.

BTW he has been to other Ark's before. That is how he knows how to use the damn thing. I am actually about to do a heap of lore. It is mainly going to be about snippits from his past, as well as a his history with the other humans on the ark...

*imagine cricket noises for a long time*

*reads the last part again* 

*realises I didn't read the last part correctly* 

nvm lol.

but yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about word length. Just don't think you need to make it too long just to please the audience. 

Chapter Three: A Helping Hand

The scorching sandstone cliff face was burning his hand, yet he held on even tighter for he knew that if he lost his grip he would plummet to his death. Using his free hand he felt along the wall for a viable hand hold and pulled his feet up onto a narrow ledge, sweat was pouring freely all over him through out the process. After testing both his hand holds and the ledge, Aris decided to turn himself around to get a better view of the landscape. 

After a few minutes of slow and deliberate movement, he had turned himself around one hundred and eighty degrees. Now that he was facing the land, he could discern the myriad of details that he had missed the first time. Below him was a large, dried up river bed with a few areas that still contained water; there were a few lightly wooded areas, but the tree’s leaves were of a very dull green. He could see specks moving along the ground that he assumed were animals around the size of a stegosaurus, although the heat shimmers made him uncertain. Further back there was an imposing mountain range, although they were not remotely as daunting as The Dividing.

The land had a harsh beauty to it, yet he could feel pain and misery emanating from it like a bad smell. Something had happened here long, long ago and somehow it had turned this land into what it was, but what it was like before hand was more then a mystery.

“You hang here often?” came a muffled voice to his left.

Looking to his left, Aris’ eyes met those of a Tapejara that had latched itself to the sandstone cliff beside him.

“Did the bird just speak to him?” Aris thought to himself, “no it couldn’t have, only humans and ultimate lifeforms had the gift of speech”

“Ahh, hallo” Aris said aloud, most of his english was rusty.

“Salut monsieur, would you like some help?” came the muffled voice again, it was definitely a human’s voice, albeit it was muffled.

He had a choice to make, either put aside his dislike for humans and accept aid from the stranger or or tell him to raptor off. Aris didn’t fancy spending the next few hours climbing down the cliff face in this heat, so he decided to accept the offered help.

“Umm sure, but how am I going to get on? Your tapejara’s wing is in the way and I don’t fancy being carried.” Aris finally responded.

“Oh, I didn’t think of that. I guess I’ll have to fly as close as possible and you will have to jump…” the stranger replied

Aris still couldn’t see the voice’s source, as the tapejara’s wing was in the way. Aris grunted in assent to the idea and the tapejara and it’s rider launched from the cliff face moments later. Arid watched as they flew right up to him and turned in mid air. He had forgotten how agile tapejaras were.

"You ready to jump?” the rider yelled over the sound of wings flapping.

Aris nodded, not trusting his voice to be heard over the noise. 

“Alright, on three.” Said the rider, “one,”

Aris prepared to jump,

“Two,”

Aris pounced from cliff face and landed squarely on his feet, legs bent, crouching on the secondary seat and grabbed onto the handles in front of him. His early boarding startled the rider, causing him to fall out of his seat!

Archived