building question

GameFreak

im on the island and im building in the cove area on the west coast of the island and i cant seem to figure out how to get my game to let me build form the shore to over the water a decent ways. i know you have to use pillars at a certain point but nothing i do seems to work, what am i doing wrong? or how are you supposed to build like that?

im on xbox one also if that makes a difference

5 hours ago, GameFreak said:

im on the island and im building in the cove area on the west coast of the island and i cant seem to figure out how to get my game to let me build form the shore to over the water a decent ways. i know you have to use pillars at a certain point but nothing i do seems to work, what am i doing wrong? or how are you supposed to build like that?

im on xbox one also if that makes a difference

You have to stack pillars in the water until they are in the ground under the water. This can mean lots of pillars for just one ceiling.

If you were playing though on an unofficial server, there are mods that have settings and structures that do not require the pillars to be sunk for a bridge.

I'd start in the water, if you can, personally.  Put your pillars to the height you want, attach your first ceiling, add as many surrounding ceilings as you can, then put pillars from the top down on the furthest ceiling you built.  Depending on depth of water, this can be quite the chore.  Also, if you are on public servers where people can damage your base, make sure to be aware that breaking a pillar can collapse your base.  If you are in a private game this is not a worry, but on PVP bases using pillars to support your main structures can make for a bad day if someone takes out a pillar or 2.  If this happens, everything on top of the pillar will be broken, including chests and saved materials.  

Just now, GameFreak said:

yes i know about what happens when they are destroyed.  i just thought you could place foundations on pillar which apparently i was incorrect about, thanks for the info.

No problem.  Ceilings it is unfortunately, unless they have changed that.  (I don't think they have)  If you haven't tried, you can still do all your building on ceilings though, it's just an appearance difference really.  If you start in the water and build towards land though, you can do the entire thing with ceilings so it has a consistent look.  

4 minutes ago, GameFreak said:

while im thinking of it, on scorched earth can you use pipes with a water well to run water around your base or do you need a river or lake or something for running water?

I haven't played scorched earth, so I'm not sure how it works.  I haven't used the well, I do know on the island you can use the water reservoirs, which will fill up when it rains.  I'm not sure if it even rains on scorched earth though, so unfortunately I can't help with this one.  Knowing nothing, and understanding this may be bad advice, I would try to see if a well could be hooked up to a water reservoir, or who knows, maybe once you put the well you no longer need one.  Just assumptions.  Trial and error for now my friend.  

Archived