Vultures. Dont. Do. Anything? Also taming them is a joke.

TeRyn

It is not a bug.  You all just dont understand how it works.  They work as a spoilage prevention method when you use them to harvest the meat.  While its in their inventory it has much longer timers and can even stack prime as others have said.

The spoiling occurs when you REMOVE it from their inventory.  If you have a 20 stack of normal meat inside a vulture lets say the timer is 5 minutes in  your timer per piece, but 20 minutes per piece in the vultures.

When you REMOVE that stack of meat, it will give it a VERY VERY VERY short timer on its spoilage.  Like it iwll drop to like a minute and a half or 2 minutes.  And its not just the top piece that gets dropped to that, its every piece.  So effectively, meat lasts a lot longer in their inventory, but on removal it drops the timer on the entire stack by a massive amount, allowing you enough time to pull it out, split the stack and have it spoil.

So it DOES allow you to spoil meat faster.

Works as intended.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

It is not a bug.  You all just dont understand how it works.  They work as a spoilage prevention method when you use them to harvest the meat.  While its in their inventory it has much longer timers and can even stack prime as others have said.

The spoiling occurs when you REMOVE it from their inventory.  If you have a 20 stack of normal meat inside a vulture lets say the timer is 5 minutes in  your timer per piece, but 20 minutes per piece in the vultures.

When you REMOVE that stack of meat, it will give it a VERY VERY VERY short timer on its spoilage.  Like it iwll drop to like a minute and a half or 2 minutes.  And its not just the top piece that gets dropped to that, its every piece.  So effectively, meat lasts a lot longer in their inventory, but on removal it drops the timer on the entire stack by a massive amount, allowing you enough time to pull it out, split the stack and have it spoil.

So it DOES allow you to spoil meat faster.

Works as intended.

Thank you for this! I'm gonna test it out, sounds legit enough though

3 hours ago, PiloKase said:

Amazed no ones used my method ive been using to tame vultures so far. All you gotta do is put a tent over top of the vultures and boom! Easiest tame ever... unless something dies near by den ur in a tent with a mad bird.

We tried this on day 2 or 3 after patch and at the time the tents didn't really have a "roof" birds would just fly right through it and leave you standing there looking stupid staring at the inside of the tent. Glad its fixed though we want to get some more high level birds for that evil southern cave. 

If you have an Argentavis you can also land right on top of a landed Vulture to get  it mostly stuck. I tested it with several Vultures and if you do this, they can only escape if they fly straight out the back of your bird. It's not fool-proof, but it should make it a lot easier to feed them without following them around as much.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 3:18 AM, TeRyn said:

So i have finally tamed two vultures...i have them on follow.....spyglass up......hover over living and dead dino's....hit period.....they do...absolutely JACK!

The direwolf i have attacked. Ive tried while mounted, unmounted, with one on my shoulder, set to passive, set to aggressive. They just flap their wings at me and do nothing.

Are they merely for eggs?

Also taming them is a complete pain. They hardly ever land and when they are about to land they immediately take off again. I figured it would be like most other passive tames(mostly monkeys and gorilla's...get to close and you spook them. Nope. No where near them...never land. By that time they are already dropping taming due to the feeding intervals being WAAAAAAAY to long cuz you cant ever reach them to feed them.

official server 810.

That's the problem -- you have them on follow.  They will only harvest if they are on neutral/attack target AND they are not set to follow.  Go grab one of your birds, set it on neutral, and then stick it on your shoulder. . . WITHOUT setting it to follow.  Go murder something.  If you get the vulture close enough (if you murder with a dino, you may need to hop off), the bird will start harvesting the corpse, even without leaving your shoulder.

They will also help defend you from bugs and well. . . anything.  They're really great.  And the only reason I don't have more is because the little cretins keep flying out of range.

I love my vultures, they are priceless for prime tames. I've been breeding them with the spoiled meat I save and have 6 that follow me when I'm walknig about...  All of them are at least 400% melee and as a group have taken out a Rex. I used slipgaters dimorph leveling pen method to raise their levels quickly.  Letting them kill tranq'd dragons is a great way as well....  My main vulture, Deatheater, killed an alpha sand worm...lol... We were worm hunting to level argis, so as I flew in to take a bite with my argi before the Rex' s killed it, Deatheater was on my shoulder and got the final hit..lol. He jumped like 9 levels...

52 minutes ago, madfretter said:

I love my vultures, they are priceless for prime tames. I've been breeding them with the spoiled meat I save and have 6 that follow me when I'm walknig about...  All of them are at least 400% melee and as a group have taken out a Rex. I used slipgaters dimorph leveling pen method to raise their levels quickly.  Letting them kill tranq'd dragons is a great way as well....  My main vulture, Deatheater, killed an alpha sand worm...lol... We were worm hunting to level argis, so as I flew in to take a bite with my argi before the Rex' s killed it, Deatheater was on my shoulder and got the final hit..lol. He jumped like 9 levels...

For those curious, this is the method madfretter mentioned.

1 minute ago, madfretter said:

yup... Thats the one... works like a charm... SInce the animals can't be dropped in, I just put a ramp on one side and have them follow me into the trap.

Nice, seems like I could do something similar with leveling up other tames.  Wondering if just wandering down a beach might be faster, but use attack my target instead.  Though I'm guessing you have the potential of getting into a mess and accidentally killing your tames.

I'll have to read the comments and watch more videos, but I'm wondering of a Lystro boxed in somewhere might help level up faster as well.  I just started watching him so I'm back on Season 1. :)

26 minutes ago, mleii said:

Nice, seems like I could do something similar with leveling up other tames.  Wondering if just wandering down a beach might be faster, but use attack my target instead.  Though I'm guessing you have the potential of getting into a mess and accidentally killing your tames.

I'll have to read the comments and watch more videos, but I'm wondering of a Lystro boxed in somewhere might help level up faster as well.  I just started watching him so I'm back on Season 1. :)

Yea,  much safer to do it this way, it's controlled and ou get to hand pick the prey, increasing the level as you go. I actually do have a pit set up for wolves and cats as well. Basically that is just a 2x2 pen with walls 2 high, 1 dino gate and a ramp leading up on one side. I put my dinos in there on aggressive, bit sometihng with my argi and lead them into the trap. 2 cats and 4 wolves make a mess of pretty much anything that falls in there. I've actually left them in there overnight once they hit 300 melee and since its a high traffic area I came back to lots of levels and lots of hide. I kinda want to put a roof on the trap with a behemoth hatch, so I can close it at will. But if I do that I won't be able to drop pacers in there any more and lose out on all  that prime.

Side note, if you do build the vulture trap, keep an industrial grill and salts nearby. The amount of cooked prime jerky I've farmed is insane.

1 minute ago, madfretter said:

Yea,  much safer to do it this way, it's controlled and ou get to hand pick the prey, increasing the level as you go. I actually do have a pit set up for wolves and cats as well. Basically that is just a 2x2 pen with walls 2 high, 1 dino gate and a ramp leading up on one side. I put my dinos in there on aggressive, bit sometihng with my argi and lead them into the trap. 2 cats and 4 wolves make a mess of pretty much anything that falls in there. I've actually left them in there overnight once they hit 300 melee and since its a high traffic area I came back to lots of levels and lots of hide. I kinda want to put a roof on the trap with a behemoth hatch, so I can close it at will. But if I do that I won't be able to drop pacers in there any more and lose out on all  that prime.

Side note, if you do build the vulture trap, keep an industrial grill and salts nearby. The amount of cooked prime jerky I've farmed is insane.

Thank you for the tips.  Not yet playing scorched as I'm a newb still having fun on the Island, but the video showing what Vultures sure have me wanting to buy it just to get a vulture.  LOL

1 hour ago, Soldier905 said:

Bug repellant isnt needed for taming vultures btw , i tamed 10-20 without it so you just have to give it plenty of buffer

I assume by buffer, you mean distance? Looking at the wiki, it says Ghille armor is helpful, and that makes sense, as you are bound to being doing this near other predators. I would think Cactus broth would help in a similar way. I haven't tamed on yet, but use one a lot, they are very good to have around. I just wish I could have a vulture on one shoulder and a Jerboa on the other :)

1 hour ago, Soldier905 said:

Buffer i mean by distance buffer  . Sometimes when taming these hostile/passive dinos you can get away with not using bug repellent if you just feed and quickly run away for a certain amount of time . If you stay around them for too long they will turn hostile and possibly reset the tame.

Ah, I haven't done many passive tames, so didn't know they could turn hostile. They do get mad if you touch them in the process. Mostly I've just tamed beetles, which are also a very difficult tame until you perfect the technique. Although they sometimes get bugged (really almost 50% of mine have), where they won't eat. Possibly this also happens for vultures?

I wouldn't think anyone would think bug repellent would help though, since a vulture isn't a bug. The bug repellent is used to tame the Mantis though, which is a bug.

My vultures work perfectly fine. They defend me and my tames when attacked, they lay eggs, if there is a dead body nearby they will eat it, if they are on my shoulder and I kill something then it will gather the meat for me, they make my spoiled meat last longer. I don't see the problem, they are basically like Dimorphs but have a refrigeration effect.

Archived