Why do the preserving salts spoil?

Zanber

Why do the preserving salts spoil? Sodium Chloride (Salt) is used as a preservative because it A. Does not oxidize, and B. It prevents growth of bacteria. Therefore it can not spoil. I get it's meant to be a game mechanic, but 20 minutes is fairly ludicrous for a material that shouldn't even spoil in the first place.

Just now, Zanber said:

Why do the preserving salts spoil? Sodium Chloride (Salt) is used as a preservative because it A. Does not oxidize, and B. It prevents growth of bacteria. Therefore it can not spoil. I get it's meant to be a game mechanic, but 20 minutes is fairly ludicrous for a material that shouldn't even spoil in the first place.

I'm sorry, but the only replies you will get will be in the spirit of: "this is a videogame, not reality" 
I understand how immersionbreaking these things are... but i don't think you will make an impact. 
If it does... well i will retract my words. 

On 9/6/2016 at 8:49 AM, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Kinda off-topic.. but what are they used for? Preserving food stuffs was my guess but I've never experimented with em..

They double spoil times, so meat will last longer.   It can supplement the Preserving Bin for extra time.  Or if you have salt in your inventory while you're transporting meat, it'll spoil slower.  Probably useful for handling prime meat.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:50 AM, warcryr said:

They cut spoil times in half.

A little bit of common sense (and the context of the rest of your post) should make it clear, but... I think you meant to say it doubles the spoilage timer. If you cut the spoil time in half, it would be spoiling twice as quickly, which would be counter-productive in almost any situation.

1 hour ago, NymeriaSaida said:

A little bit of common sense (and the context of the rest of your post) should make it clear, but... I think you meant to say it doubles the spoilage timer. If you cut the spoil time in half, it would be spoiling twice as quickly, which would be counter-productive in almost any situation.

i edited my post

• 1 month later...

Even though Salt technically doesn't spoil, it does get used up. I prefer the current method they have where the Salt is simply in your inventory and doesn't need to be combined with whatever you want to preserve, that would be the biggest pain in the butt.

Taming with Prime meat? Quick, combine the meat with salt so the spoil time goes from 3 minutes to 6 minutes.......but it took 1 minute to combine enough pieces with 100% craft speed....

Salted Wyvern Milk anyone? Yum!

On 9/6/2016 at 10:45 AM, Zanber said:

We would be on Ark 3 by the time the salt spoils, i believe its ten years when in the pots, but i guess if your handling it as in on your person then sweat could contaminate it, its pretty hot in the desert lol

8 hours ago, leftharted said:

lol. 

if Salt inconsistencies perturb you, try to define Sparkpowder in RL.... 8P

Ferrocerium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocerium

Ferrocerium is a man-made metallic material that produces hot sparks at temperatures of about 3,000 °C (5,430 °F) when scraped against a rough surface (pyrophoricity), such as ridged steel.

Element Iron Cerium Lanthanum Neodymium Praseodymium Magnesium
Percentage 19% 38% 22% 4% 4% 4%

The only safe assumption with sparkpowder is that the stone on the island, center, and scorched each contains these trace elements, and the flint is likely mixed in as a cheap "Filler" to help the catalyze the initial reaction and oxidation process with the iron.

21 hours ago, Zanber said:

Ferrocerium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrocerium

Ferrocerium is a man-made metallic material that produces hot sparks at temperatures of about 3,000 °C (5,430 °F) when scraped against a rough surface (pyrophoricity), such as ridged steel.

Element Iron Cerium Lanthanum Neodymium Praseodymium Magnesium
Percentage 19% 38% 22% 4% 4% 4%

The only safe assumption with sparkpowder is that the stone on the island, center, and scorched each contains these trace elements, and the flint is likely mixed in as a cheap "Filler" to help the catalyze the initial reaction and oxidation process with the iron.

meh, that's just high quality lighter 'flint'...

Sparkpowder in Ark is more akin to charcoal cookin'...

plus, i was being facetious 8P 

• Volunteer Moderator

i've always kinda thought of the preserving salt like that lil'box of Arm and Hammer baking soda in the fridge that keeps things smelling fresh, but after a while it just doesnt work as well. so not really "spoiling", but more like it loses the ability to preserve. anything to "preserve" the suspension of disbelief :D

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the preserving salt is not that it spoils but that its short half life combined with a pitifully small stack size seriously there is no possible reason why it should be a stack of 6 as opposed to 50 or 100.

but these two factors defeat the purpose of preserving salt by making it not only difficult to carry in any quantity but the half life of the salt basically works against its intended purpose. If the salt makes something last for an hour than having the salt it's self last less than 20 minutes defeats the purpose all together. For the preserving salt to actually be even remotely useful i would a half life of at least an hour per unit. If the dev team insists on the low spoil timer than stack size should be increased to around 100 to compensate. but right now something has to give because its purpose is being defeated by these two factors mitigating it's usefulness when it really only needs one balance mechanism not two

again good idea reasonable concept but suffering from a half baked implementation and poorly balanced mechanics

• 11 months later...
On 10/31/2016 at 11:44 PM, MikeLoeven said:

The problem with the preserving salt is not that it spoils but that its short half life combined with a pitifully small stack size seriously there is no possible reason why it should be a stack of 6 as opposed to 50 or 100.

but these two factors defeat the purpose of preserving salt by making it not only difficult to carry in any quantity but the half life of the salt basically works against its intended purpose. If the salt makes something last for an hour than having the salt it's self last less than 20 minutes defeats the purpose all together. For the preserving salt to actually be even remotely useful i would a half life of at least an hour per unit. If the dev team insists on the low spoil timer than stack size should be increased to around 100 to compensate. but right now something has to give because its purpose is being defeated by these two factors mitigating it's usefulness when it really only needs one balance mechanism not two

again good idea reasonable concept but suffering from a half baked implementation and poorly balanced mechanics

This. 100% this. Still! a year later :( Love the game to death and WC doing a great job, but surely this has to be one of those things they haven't gotten round to sorting yet rather than they have looked at it and decided "nah, its good as it is" (like chat options :p). But yeah, salt as it is has very limited use outside prime / mutton farming for a tame already underway. 

Archived