ADD more VULTURES instead of...

warcryr

I was originally going to report that the Vultures were bugged entirely and were not spawning.  But I've been informed that they are on the "outside" of the main areas of the map.

I feel like I should be seeing more Vulture activity in the main areas of the map, opposed to just on the outside.  The lack of flying dino activity around the map in general feels too "empty". 

Maybe: swap out half of the Wolves for Vultures or half of the Procoptodons for Vultures.   These two seem to be annoyingly common currently.

The Vultures, like the Dung Beetles and Arthropleura are very, very common in the Dunes, whereas creatures like Morellatops, Procoptodon, and Dire Wolves are non-existent there.

It's just area exclusivity, similar to how you can find Argentavis in the mountains and Pteranodons on the beaches in the Island.

7 hours ago, FaneBlackwing said:

The Vultures, like the Dung Beetles and Arthropleura are very, very common in the Dunes, whereas creatures like Morellatops, Procoptodon, and Dire Wolves are non-existent there.

It's just area exclusivity, similar to how you can find Argentavis in the mountains and Pteranodons on the beaches in the Island.

Yeah I can tell it's on purpose. 

I don't like when we can tell how the game is developed/coded..etc.   Evenly distributed spawn points with small predetermined sets of possible dinos is noticeable and boring.   Things like, occasional herds of dinos (where a higher than usual count of some dino spawns in somewhere) or occasional rare spawns like a 1-off Argy flying around one of the other peaks around the map, or a couple Mosasaurs that happen to make it to the surface of the ocean for whatever reason, or a few Vultures that found there way inland...etc. You get the idea.

Really all I wanted was something in the sky other than bugs, and was wondering why i wasn't seeing any Vultures.  But if WC has other flying dinos on the way to fill the space, that would be fine.  just a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of time for aggro to cool down on a vulture is crazy. I had one follow me for miles and then attack everything in my base and kill 2 out of my 3 tames. I never did kill it, as it is hard to hit with friendly fire enabled without killing my own dinos.

The aggro range and cool down really needs to be reduced. When you get the vulture out of visual range it should stop following you. Otherwise, I'd really like to see less of this bird.

There should also be a way to tell when it has decided a corpse is his. Like it should make some kind of noise or something.

8 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The amount of time for aggro to cool down on a vulture is crazy. I had one follow me for miles and then attack everything in my base and kill 2 out of my 3 tames. I never did kill it, as it is hard to hit with friendly fire enabled without killing my own dinos.

The aggro range and cool down really needs to be reduced. When you get the vulture out of visual range it should stop following you. Otherwise, I'd really like to see less of this bird.

There should also be a way to tell when it has decided a corpse is his. Like it should make some kind of noise or something.

They should only aggro when attacked or a corpse is harvested near them imo.. they aggro just from dead stuff being close to them and you which is dumb.

Part of the fun in SE is that almost everything can kill you.  I think people got too accustomed to their regular servers where they could pike a rex (which should be fixed, no one should be able to kill a rex in hand to hand)
I really enjoy being scared of vultures agroing on me. Wish the devs would give them more of a swarm mentality, like with the ants, where 5 or more fly in on a corpse or agro on you, like they do in real life. That would make it even more interesting.

39 minutes ago, Trikky said:

Part of the fun in SE is that almost everything can kill you.  I think people got too accustomed to their regular servers where they could pike a rex (which should be fixed, no one should be able to kill a rex in hand to hand)
I really enjoy being scared of vultures agroing on me. Wish the devs would give them more of a swarm mentality, like with the ants, where 5 or more fly in on a corpse or agro on you, like they do in real life. That would make it even more interesting.

Ya, I like how hostile it is too. Not sure if you are playing on an Official or not, but when a single vulture can kill 5 hours worth of taming, and in such a way that you wouldn't expect (following you for miles), it can be a bit frustrating.

There is plenty of stuff that can kill you already in a very unpredictable way. I had a fire wyren kill all my tames and destroy all of my reservoirs while I was logged off. I had the tames under a covered, but not fully enclosed area. Also a terror bird attacked through my wall (didn't break it) killed me while I was logged out.

With the resources so restricted, it takes awhile to build a base that can defend against all the stuff trying to kill you, even while you aren't logged in. It is the stuff getting killed while logged out that is the most annoying. Nothing you can do but log in and try and make the base better defended for the next attack.

Now I started as a level 1, so it seems like I've been doing "1 step forward, 2 steps back" for a few weeks now. I'm no noob either, have over 2000 hours in this game.

So I wasn't complaining in general about how difficult the game is, just about how crazy the vultures are once aggro'd.

1 hour ago, bloddstar said:

Never had much problem with vultures.  Even in desert clothing just swing upwards with a sword and they'll be dead in no time.  

Without metal weapons though i bet they can be quite a handful.

Ya, I will do that next time.

In this case, I had no idea that the vulture would still be following me even though the threat music had stopped. I actually had a metal sword, but couldn't easily use it once the vulture had made its way into my base. The risk of killing all my tames was too great (ended up dead anyway).

I have actually killed one before this level 116 with a sword, I think maybe a high level one acts a bit differently?

If the difficulty didn't exist in ARK then it wouldn't be a survival game and we'd all be playing something else. We died hundreds of times when we first started playing Vanilla and then when Scorched Earth came along we died over and over, even at L70+, due to heat problems, sandstorms, aggro dinos around every corner, etc, It was super fun, and frustrating, but now we've got on top of most of it and we're doing fine. Sure, we'll lose our base and dinos at some point but we've learned enough now that we could replace things quite quickly and we'll make sure our base is better defended in relation to how we were attacked.

Vultures are a great part of Scorched Earth. Easy to kill, extremely awesome as pets, easy to tame. It's only fair that I have to travel halfway across the map to get to Argys that it is for someone to have to travel to get to the plethora of Vultures in my area.

6 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

They should only aggro when attacked or a corpse is harvested near them imo.. they aggro just from dead stuff being close to them and you which is dumb.

Ya, this second one surprised me. There was a corpse near me (killed by an anky I think) of a raptor, and a vulture came after me because I was near it. I didn't even try to harvest it.

I like the challenge, but my point would be that the vulture should make some kind of noise or something. And it doesn't really make sense it would chase you and leave the corpse just because you were near it.

To me, this feels more like a bug then an intended behavior.

Vultures seem to be the original angrier birds.  They're terrifying spectres of death that make more corpses in the process of defending what they already have.

In all honesty, I'd love having them modified a bit.  I don't mind running away, but running across most of he map and playing complex evasion games gets a little extreme with these guys.

Just now, madfretter said:

I meant to switch them to dropping raw meat when you kill them, not taming with raw.

Oh, misunderstood.

I like that they drop spoiled meat, if you want to, say, grind a ton of narcotics, you can go hit some vultures and have a world of spoiled meat, while your other meat spoils

43 minutes ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Oh, misunderstood.

I like that they drop spoiled meat, if you want to, say, grind a ton of narcotics, you can go hit some vultures and have a world of spoiled meat, while your other meat spoils

true, but if they dropped regular meat you'd have choice...  Not sure if you know this, but if you spam x on the meat in your inventory it will go into stacks of one and all of it will spoil in like 3 minutes...

12 minutes ago, madfretter said:

true, but if they dropped regular meat you'd have choice...  Not sure if you know this, but if you spam x on the meat in your inventory it will go into stacks of one and all of it will spoil in like 3 minutes...

I like that vulture hunting offers an alternative to the mass spoiling. 

Hunt vulture to tame vulture

Archived