Introducing the Kentrosaurus & A Message to the ARK Community!

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.DossierKentrosaurus.jpg.c7898319b5

Common Name: Kentrosaurus
Species: Kentrosaurus Aethiopicus
Time: Late Jurassic
Diet: Herbivore
Temperament: Short-Tempered

Wild:

While Kentrosaurus Aethiopicus is considerably smaller than its close relative, Stegosaurus Regium, it is much more formidable in matters of self defense. In fact, it is arguably the pound for pound champion of not only the Stegosauria, but when encountered in close-knit fighting packs, ranks atop the island’s herbivorous dinosaurs in general. 

Thanks to its wickedly sharp defensive spikes, any creature which attacks Kentrosaurus is likely to be reversely wounded in turn, and it is capable of piercing even the thickest of hides and armors when it goes on the offensive. I have personally witnessed the Kentrosaurus fell much larger predators in a single such “impaling” maneuver!

Underestimating Kentrosaurus can be a fatal mistake, particularly when it is in a herd. When travelling in numbers, Kentrosaurus seems to grow much more aggressive, increasing the range at which it will defend its territory. 

Domesticated:

Survivors have seen little success in their attempts to ride Kentrosaurus, owing to its spikes and hot-headed temperament. However, a tamed herd of Kentrosaurus can defend a compound as well as take on any larger carnivore. One swing of its deadly tail can save a survivors life, or even turn the tide of a pitched battle!

A Message to the ARK Community

Firstly, an emphatic "thank you" to the ARK community for the love they have shown towards this game. Your creations, your feedback, and your support have meant the world to us. THANK YOU!

We'd also like to provide our official take on the Scorched Earth Expansion Pack, and the future of ARK. Put simply: we are absolutely committed to driving aggressive development towards a solid, feature-robust game launch for ARK: Survival Evolved. Everyone at Wildcard wakes up every day thinking about how we can make ARK into a better game today than it was the day before. It’s not always easy, but our intent is ever-forward progress towards a retail release that will  be far more ambitious in scope and features than our original vision when we launched ARK into Steam Early Access in June 2015. Your feedback enables us to continually expand the game to become better than ever!

Scorched Earth: Our original vision for ARK always included the creation of Expansion ARKs, along with the infrastructure and technical systems to transfer data dynamically between live ARKs. We determined that it is more sound to iterate on these systems during Early Access than after retail launch, given the significant risks involved if we didn't "get it right". While that meant unveiling the first Expansion early, it also means an easier time integrating further post-launch Expansions into the ARK network. We understand that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, and we appreciate the enjoyment people seem to be getting out of this initial view of how Expansion ARKs can work. Now that we have the systems in place to support them, we can ensure minimal integration issues with subsequent releases after ARK: Survival Evolved itself has launched. 

Thank you so much to everyone who has been surviving on Scorched Earth, and we hope that the new features and content that it brings into the ARK universe will enrich all players' experiences whatever map or mode you're playing on -- and in the weeks ahead we're looking forward to seeing what modders can make with the Scorched Earth content, and the powerful new Blueprint systems coming with them.

Regarding our upcoming plans for ARK: Survival Evolved, here's a brief outline of what's ahead:

large.ARK_Tapejara2.jpg.971685661467e4fe

- ARK v247 launches later this week, and among other things will include the fan-favorite creatures Tapejara and Archaeopteryx!
- Breeding Phase 3 and the Boss Ascension Cycle are being wrapped up for release, and will soon make their debut along with the first Tek Tier items (Power Armor).
- ARK Backstory!! You're going to get your first dose of ARK’s mythology with the Explorer Note system -- will you find them all and begin piecing together the mysteries of the ARK?
- The first pass of the "Procedurally Generated ARKs" system should be coming to PC next month, and Xbox soon afterwards. Unlimited ARK varieties?! You bet!
- As Scorched Earth dramatically expands ARK's Blueprint modding capabilities,we will be launching a new Mod Contest with the release of the Dev Kit that incorporates the Scorched Earth content.

There is a lot more content beyond that as we head into the home-stretch of preparing the game for 1.0 release, but these are some of the things that we're particularly excited to get out to you! We're not nearly at the end of the journey yet, and ARK has much to come in order to fulfill its destiny as the ultimate Dinosaur survival experience of our collective dreams. But with your help, we are going to get there together, and every day will be ever more amazing on the ARK!

large.ARK_archaeopteryx_Post.jpg.b73c095

View full article

4 minutes ago, Purrmaster said:

I haven't heard much mention of Tek Tier recently.  Could you please confirm whether that is still upcoming and, if so, a rough timeline of when you think it might hit?  I really want to shoot a dinosaur with a plasma rifle.

Right up there in the post.

- Breeding Phase 3 and the Boss Ascension Cycle are being wrapped up for release, and will soon make their debut along with the first Tek Tier items (Power Armor).

3 minutes ago, Purrmaster said:

I haven't heard much mention of Tek Tier recently.  Could you please confirm whether that is still upcoming and, if so, a rough timeline of when you think it might hit?  I really want to shoot a dinosaur with a plasma rifle.

and will soon make their debut along with the first Tek Tier items (Power Armor). 

In the post.

11 minutes ago, Jaywall said:

Can't wait to see this game through, though I wish you'd never stops making content for it

They'll probably keep updating it through Steam for a while after it is launched...i hope!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Purrmaster said:

The first Tek Tier items will be the power-armor set and will be coming along with the 'Boss Ascension' feature (as they use a new resource system related to that ;) ), targeting this month of September.

Cheers,
Jeremy

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Stieglitz said:

The first Tek Tier items will be the power-armor set and will be coming along with the 'Boss Ascension' feature (as they use a new resource system related to that ), targeting this month of September.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Thank you!

The new resource will be called "element" or something like that, yes?

If one asks very nicely could it be possible for the new resource to be given a numerical entity ID for easier admin command spawning?

Hey wildcard folks,

Just wanted to say, thanks for all the work you're putting into this game. I know it's far from perfect yet. Definitely plenty of things that need improvement on with each new update we get in our Xbox preview mode. But, I'm thoroughly enjoying it and enjoying being a part of this process.

Our player dedicated server is having fun and getting off the ground with this latest update and everyone is digging it and the player culture we're fostering around it. I foresee some serious expansion of our little niche community in the future as more Ark developments are released.

Keep up the hard work and know that your efforts are appreciated even when frustrations arise.

Can't wait to see what the new updates bring to Ark!

Thus spake Cobra Commander

55 minutes ago, Jeremy Stieglitz said:

The first Tek Tier items will be the power-armor set and will be coming along with the 'Boss Ascension' feature (as they use a new resource system related to that ), targeting this month of September.

Cheers,
Jeremy

what is the boss ascension feature, and what are proceduraly generated arks? 

Seems to me they left out "We sincerely appologize" and "we will make every effort to avoid this in the future"..........  And considering they language that they've used so far, ie "we'll never make those people happy", this just doesn't cut it for me.  It's great that they're adding more content but what of bug fixes?  We're heading into the "home stretch" by simply adding content?

Nope not buying it for a nickle.  At this point Wildcard will only get a thumbs up and DLC purchase out or me if and when they every actually finish the core game. 

Devs, just don't make this mistake again. Have better communication. 80% of the salt could have been avoided if you would have been clear in your intentions. What you guys did in the last few months, hyping up the expansion without telling anyone you have to pay for it, is just a bad business practice. 
Even players that have defended your every crappy (but understandable) action, now feel betrayed. 
You have chosen not to explain yourselves again. You don't touch on any of the points of contention. 
Devs, my respect has lowered even more. 

Edited by panteni87

I love that we are hearing from Studio Wildcard. I know it will help so many that have had concerns.  I am really looking forward to all that will be done in the upcoming months.  Scorched Earth is just so amazing.  I can't even imagine what the final release product will be like. There has never been a game like ark that provides so much fun to so many people in so many ways. Thank you Studio Wildcard.  :dod-xmas:

1 hour ago, Purrmaster said:

I sure hope they have a electric food dehydrator as an upgrade to the preserving bin... Oh and a metal large storage ...Not a vault but a nice looking large metal storage

maaan i love you guys..you work so hard behind this game.. and i love this game...i don't mind paying for the DLC..hell i payed $18 for ark and got 600 hrs + of gameplay out of it, spending $20 on something that i'll get close to 100+ hrs pleasure doesn't bother me a bit...

But personally i felt kinda cheated though, i mean i thought "couldn't they have spent that time optimizing the main game, fixing the building mechanics" and few other things but that is a long list...let's talk about these

i have an ok rig, a fx6300 8gbs ram a gtx 1070 a 240gb ssd a 1tb hdd..i max every setting ark has in online play any day, but single player makes my rig feel like a potato i get like 15 to 20 frames...and building in ark is poop!! specifically placing something and it ends up somewhere completely different..normally that's ok it might just be lagg right?? it happens in freaking singleplayer too!!! 

you know what was worse? the two exciting things that was expected for the 246 patch got pushed back (ansel support was an amazing surprise though) but i had nothing new to play with after a month of waiting, that means i have to wait again till i get payed (on friday) to play this exciting SE Expansion pack($20 usd is not much in america but in my country its $130 that is an entire week's commute and lunch)

BUT that was just my personal thoughts and feelings for the first day after SE release (i'm kinda ok with it now, a lil excited for friday ).

All that aside i personally truly love you guys Thank You very much for all your hard work and dedication SE looks amazing can't wait to try it and i'm' very excited for what's coming up!!

can we please get a few more optimizations like a few months back? those small things made the game so much better or building issues fixed? i saw a ark digest where someone(forgive me i can't remember who) suggested using the scroll wheel to choose snap points instead of randomly selecting one... this would help soo much...

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Stieglitz said:

Cheers,
Jeremy

About the expansion ARKs, I'm hoping there isn't going to be an absurd number of these.

I finally bought the expansion yesterday after a lot of thinking on it. The content is good, it might be better priced at 15 bucks, but seems fairly solid. All the new weather effects are nuts. Some cool creatures are around to tame and travel with, Got a friend on the The Center server I run a Jerboa. Map looks great and I can't wait to manage to snag some high level wyvern eggs. 

This all being said, I love the game, 1200 hours would tell ya that. But the way you released Scorched Earth was dirty and you know it. I don't like the Paid Premium DLC precedent this sets for Early Access Games, and I'm banking on you guys actually needing money right now. Hype Train to the max, and then at the end of the trailer on the live stream "Get it now on Steam." Flipped off my twitch app on my phone, (app eats data like a hungry giga), turn on my steam app, go to the store page and then have the price tag thrown in my face. It took me a minute to register that.. "Huh.. Paid DLC.. In Early Access..  The hell?" I pulled the brakes hard on that and a lot of people who have gotten bled dry by DLC trains like Battlefield and CoD probably did to. You guys really need to communicate intentions a bit better man. Screens have been found of Desert Biome being listed in the Core Goals. I knew I saw it in there before and pulling it out of the notes is a sneaky move. Feature Creep is a thing and I know you guys are way behind schedule at this point. 

Long story short, I bought Scorched Earth on the hope it'll help you along in the development. Despite my very real concerns that you and your studio are headed in a bad direction. I don't want to see any more core features disappear off the patch notes to be shoved in a paid dlc and unavailable (without admin commands) to the buyers of the original game other than by trading with other people through this "gateway" or whatever. 

Speaking of this "Gateway", I'm assuming it's the only way to get the SE items over to non SE maps (without admin commands) as both player and dino inventories are wiped upon upload to the ARK. I spoke to my Server Hosting web team and they neither offer this feature or have an ETA on this feature nor know how much they will charge. So unofficial server owners are a bit left in the cold by this. 

Hope you take time to read this and I hope it makes sense, getting a bit late here so I may be a touch hard to understand in a few spots.

-A concerned Survivor