Wyvern Milk........are you guys serious?

TeRyn

Smash... again the problem is not getting milk, building a trap, stealing an egg... the only difficult part is the one that requires no skill.. which is logging in to ark every three hours for 4 days straight.. where failing even once to drop everything and give milk to the bloody thing means it dies and you have to start over. This is just a bad game mechanic.

That obelisk trick may just make it possible though... freaking good idea, thank you

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smash said:

Bolded for your benefit.  If you could log in, hatch a wyvern egg and have one after 2 hours then imagine how many big tribes would end up with.

But there are a couple of fairly obvious solution to this:

1) Play single-player on your own PC.  You want to be solo anyway.  Isn't this the obvious solution?  ust turn the breeding rate up to x10 or something.  Or:\;

2) Play un-official.  This whole issue is largely why un-offical servers exist.  I never play official because I too have a life, full-time job and kids.  I don't want to spend a week raising one either.  That's why I play un-official.  But I don't expect official to change because that's the way it is.  Plenty like it that way. 

I don't really get this mentality that people have that they should be able to play solo on PVP servers but expect to never get raided and to be able to accomplish everything a tribe of 10 can for the same effort of one of those 10 people.

Ah, saw the part about "don't know what you guys are bitching about", and missed the part about how to make it hard for a tribe but not too hard for solo.

The problem with this game is they have one mechanic no matter whether you are solo, PVP, PVE, or in local single player mode. Maybe eventually it will have different modes. Because in PVE, does it really matter if there are 50 dragons flying all over the place on a server? In PVP, that would be bad, but just plan fun on PVE, so no reason to make it as hard as it is for PVP.

33 minutes ago, WolfeUK said:

I play solo and got milk for days, if your struggling perhaps your trying to get Wyverns before your ready too, its not impossible.

Hmm, I've been reading all about this, watching videos, but never milked a Wyvern, but as I understand it, there is no way to store the milk for for even a day. It spoils before the next feeding. So whatever you get is just for one feeding. So I would guess you are not playing on an official.

Preserving Salts in the preserving Bin or Fridge, will  lengthen the time that Wyvern Milk will/can be kept fresh. 

Sl1pg8r on YouTube has shown this to be true. I dont know if he is playing on anything other than an official server, but trying preserving salts in a fridge sounds like a good idea. I hope I can give you a link to the YouTube video showing the use of Preserving Salts...
 ...Hope this helps... 

He is using a modded server. I can confirm you can never store milk in fridge unless u have a mod that assist u with that.

To run away from Wyven  on an Argy, you need 200% movement speed.. Anything less than that you are roasted. Avoid poison and lightning. Poison dmg u directly and if u are on offical server with no increase stats on HP u are dead big time. Lightning knock off the bird which is bad news as well.

ChickenBone (friend with Splig8der) has a tutotrial on building a Wvyen pen that will trap it to get milk and you can do this solo. Go search it in youtube. 

5 hours ago, DoJoStarfox said:

Smash... again the problem is not getting milk, building a trap, stealing an egg... the only difficult part is the one that requires no skill.. which is logging in to ark every three hours for 4 days straight.. where failing even once to drop everything and give milk to the bloody thing means it dies and you have to start over. This is just a bad game mechanic.

That obelisk trick may just make it possible though... freaking good idea, thank you

but you don't have to log in every 3 hours.  Once the thing is 20% grown it's probably every 6 hours, by day 4 you can probably leave it for 24 hours due to the food stat ending up pretty high.

While I agree that the first day or so is probably tedious, it's not insurmountable if you do it on the weekend.  Again, if this is a problem then I suggest trying out unofficial servers.  While it feels like cheating to play on say x5 to begin with, it can still be quite challenging, and it certainly encourages better PvP as people aren't so fussed to lose their stuff they'll risk online confrontations.

On 9/5/2016 at 5:14 AM, Scrysis said:

How the heck do you get an argent that can kill wyverns?  I've had two birds roasted so far.  They're no where near fast enough.

But yeah, I'm surprised people have managed to steal eggs with the 35+ number of wyverns in the trench.  In my single player, I have very little hope of actually getting a wyvern naturally (managed to dart a low level one with a modded dart gun.  Yay! 5 milk at a time!)

I have yet to see an Argent that could take on a decent level Fire or Lightening Wyvern.  Sounds like unofficial server and/or admin shenanigans.

As others have said though, you only need a fast Argent with some decent health to lure a Wyvern into a trap.  Mine is metal (recently upgraded), but it can be done with only stone... and it's all just foundations, pillars and a Behemoth Gate.  I'll try to get some screen grabs and post them tonight (I'm on XB1, so it's a little more difficult to get them over to the PC for forum posts).

Argents need the extra health (after speed... 200% minimum) to take the occasional Lightening Wyvern strike when you're not careful enough or looking back to make sure the Wyvern you're kiting is still with you.  Lightening Wyverns have the longest attack range... something like 18-19 foundations in length.  The trap I've built has a 20 foundation path leading away from the cage so I know I'm at a safe distance when I'm tranq-ing a caged Wyvern.  You also need power and Keypad at that point to shut the trap gate.  I won't kid you, the trap is a big investment... but once done, it makes getting milk a breeze.  

You just have to be careful not to agro multiple Wyverns at once, because they don't always all make it into the cage.  If that happens, flee... lead them all in a direction other than your trapping outpost.  Otherwise you're going to die and you'll lose your Argy... which IMO is the most valuable asset of this solo process.  Build something strong, but just big enough to store your Argy (for when not in use) at said trapping outpost.

When it comes to stealing eggs... there aren't 35 Wyverns covering every inch of the trench.  Some of my highest level egg steals were taken from the uppermost nests that happened to not have any nearby Wyverns immediately guarding them.  I was able to fly in, land, position Argy for a quick getaway, dismount, take egg, mount and fly my (bird's) ass off.  Never go back to your base with the egg.  I've had Wyverns follow me halfway across the map.  Fly hard and fast away from your main base... flying close to and around/under mountains, crevices, land bridges.  Goal is to fly in such a way so chasing Wyverns get stuck on the landscape you've left behind and can't follow you further.

5 hours ago, Smash said:

but you don't have to log in every 3 hours.  Once the thing is 20% grown it's probably every 6 hours, by day 4 you can probably leave it for 24 hours due to the food stat ending up pretty high.

While I agree that the first day or so is probably tedious, it's not insurmountable if you do it on the weekend.  Again, if this is a problem then I suggest trying out unofficial servers.  While it feels like cheating to play on say x5 to begin with, it can still be quite challenging, and it certainly encourages better PvP as people aren't so fussed to lose their stuff they'll risk online confrontations.

Are you sure about those numbers? If that's true, then you're right it's definitely not impossible.

5x would be awesome.. official rates do lead to extremely conservative play as getting wiped means a month of rebuilding, which can be impossible if the tribe is still attacking you on sight. Officials have a steady stream of new players though... that makes it almost worth dealing with the 1x

If you hatch a high level wyvern you can easily leave it for multiple hours at a time. Only reason people say you need milk every 3 hours is for imprinting. Even with imprinting you don't always need the milk. If you hatch a 112 wyvern and it starts with 2500 food that is already almost 7 hours before it needs to be fed. (current food * 10 divide by 60 twice). If you hatch it on the weekend and do a feeding before you log off for the night I should easily make it through the night. (do the math first!). Don't plan on sleeping in for 12 hours or so it is a commitment but it is far from impossible for a single player to do at official rates. The number one requirement is getting a high level egg with a large starting food stat. 

13 hours ago, Multivitamin said:

If you hatch a high level wyvern you can easily leave it for multiple hours at a time. Only reason people say you need milk every 3 hours is for imprinting. Even with imprinting you don't always need the milk. If you hatch a 112 wyvern and it starts with 2500 food that is already almost 7 hours before it needs to be fed. (current food * 10 divide by 60 twice). If you hatch it on the weekend and do a feeding before you log off for the night I should easily make it through the night. (do the math first!). Don't plan on sleeping in for 12 hours or so it is a commitment but it is far from impossible for a single player to do at official rates. The number one requirement is getting a high level egg with a large starting food stat. 

This is true, don't waste your ttime with low level dragons... the food is too low...

On 9/27/2016 at 0:49 AM, WolfeUK said:

I play solo and got milk for days, if your struggling perhaps your trying to get Wyverns before your ready too, its not impossible.

Milk for days?  Really?  On official settings?  I doubt it simply for the fact that maximum spoiling time of Milk in a Preserving Bin w/ Spark Powder and Salt is right about 3 hours.

I generally play on my own unofficial server with bumped settings, but I've harvested milk on an official server.  Trolling in here and making a statement like that based on modded/unofficial settings won't get you any rep points.

5 minutes ago, Shizolator said:

Milk for days?  Really?  On official settings?  I doubt it simply for the fact that maximum spoiling time of Milk in a Preserving Bin w/ Spark Powder and Salt is right about 3 hours.

I generally play on my own unofficial server with bumped settings, but I've harvested milk on an official server.  Trolling in here and making a statement like that based on modded/unofficial settings won't get you any rep points.

He could be using the ARK storage to keep the timers reset.

Other than that, yeah mods or settings is the only way I know.

2 minutes ago, GobboKirk said:

He could be using the ARK storage to keep the timers reset.

Other than that, yeah mods or settings is the only way I know.

True... I don't think many people know about that glitch.  I don't use it... pain in the butt to got out an obelisk or find a nearby drop to create a portal when my staging base for Wyverns is right next to the trench.  I can solo kite another female Wyvern and trap it in the about the same time.

Just now, Shizolator said:

True... I don't think many people know about that glitch.  I don't use it... pain in the butt to got out an obelisk or find a nearby drop to create a portal when my staging base for Wyverns is right next to the trench.  I can solo kite another female Wyvern and trap it in the about the same time.

Yeah its usefulness is kinda dependent on base location. Also no idea on how common it is, just stretching my possible solutions here :-p

We're running Redwood feeding trough on our server, so saves us pretty much all the hassle.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:09 AM, TeRyn said:

I mostly play by myself on the official servers, my fiancee is in my tribe as well but she doesnt currently get to play as much as myself.

So now that wyvern milk cant be stored to extend decay rate how the eff am i supposed to solo breed a wyvern...if i even ever got one.

I understand you want getting one to be difficult but currently its pretty much impossible for single or very small tribes to get one, specially considering they dont always drop milk.

And i mean coooooome ooooooooon. Since when dont you put milk into a fridge?

Please rethink this.

it dont always want milk, it wants to mainly got for a walk with you, raised one in sp no probs

I think the point people are making is, it CAN be done single player. You just gotta play smart and use traps. People have proposed a number of ways they have done it solo, and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing it done solo. So don't lose heart! 

Fun fact: While not required, a friend COULD join you and make the process easier if you so choose. My wife joins me in my game world when I want a hand! I would be willing to help you too if you want. We can help eachother whenever we want a temporary tribe. Your server may have a friendly tribe willing to ally with you and help as well. 

Archived