Scorched Earth (Somebody Explain)

Ryuk

Hey everybody! I was recently on holiday and when I got back I noticed I seemed to have missed quite a lot... Tons of AMAZING new dinos/creatures have been released in game, a new map, new items/engrams... Seems like the biggest update we've had so far for this game.

I've just got a few questions so could somebody update me? I've read and been told many different things and I really want to understand everything and I can't get on the game because my pc is being fixed.

1) So is this DLC a new game altogether that costs money? A little like Survival of the Fittest? If so I guess I was stupid to assume these dossiers were for the original ark...

2) I heard you can use Scorched Earth creatures on the Isle... how is this possible? Transferring through obelisks? Can admins summon these creatures using console commands (even if they don't have the DLC?)

3) If transfers can be done does this mean all these strong new creatures will give certain players an advantage over people who have not purchased the DLC?

4) Can all the new items/engrams be used in normal ark? 

Sorry for being out of the know, I'm pretty busy and somebody enlightening me on what on earth is happening would be much appreciated! 

I can help with some of the answers.

1) It costs $20 USD. It's more an expansion on the existing game, but built on a different map. So no, it's not a different game like SotF. The map is set in a desert biome, there are different creatures, different plants, trees, etc. It's very dry, very little water, very rocky. There are weather events like sandstorms, etc.

2) Yes, you can transfer FROM Scorched Earth BACK into Vanilla. You take whatever it is to an obelisk inside Scorched Earth and take it with you. I don't know the answer to anything non-Official server.

3) To be determined. Moderators have said that the Scorched Earth creatures were designed with Vanilla in mind so there shouldn't be an advantage. With that said there is a Wyvern and it looks pretty boss so that may end up as one that COULD give an advantage but we may not know for a few weeks of testing.

4) I don't know, but I would assume so. A lot of the new engrams need the resources only found in Scorched Earth but as you can take stuff back then you may very well be able to use them in Vanilla as well.

• Volunteer Moderator
36 minutes ago, Ryuk said:

Hey everybody! I was recently on holiday and when I got back I noticed I seemed to have missed quite a lot... Tons of AMAZING new dinos/creatures have been released in game, a new map, new items/engrams... Seems like the biggest update we've had so far for this game.

I've just got a few questions so could somebody update me? I've read and been told many different things and I really want to understand everything and I can't get on the game because my pc is being fixed.

1) So is this DLC a new game altogether that costs money? A little like Survival of the Fittest? If so I guess I was stupid to assume these dossiers were for the original ark...

2) I heard you can use Scorched Earth creatures on the Isle... how is this possible? Transferring through obelisks? Can admins summon these creatures using console commands (even if they don't have the DLC?)

3) If transfers can be done does this mean all these strong new creatures will give certain players an advantage over people who have not purchased the DLC?

4) Can all the new items/engrams be used in normal ark? 

Sorry for being out of the know, I'm pretty busy and somebody enlightening me on what on earth is happening would be much appreciated! 

1) The Expansion pack is not a new game mode. If it were to be compared to a mod then it would be a structure mod, map mod, creature mod, and environment mod all roled into one. The dossiers are indeed for scorched earth, but thanks to the gateway you can bring scorched earth creatures back to The Island or The Center.

2) On single player or a private server admins can spawn the creatures/items via the use of admin commands. For official servers, people will have to transfer over to Scorched Earth, tame/craft the items, then make use of the gateway system to transfer them back.

3) While distinctly different, the new creatures do not necessarily give an advantage over people that have not purchased them. For example, in the amount of time it takes for a tribe to pull off a successful wyvern egg heist, hatch it, and raise it to adulthood; a tribe on the Island or Center can outfit a good sized fleet of Quetzals with armaments to take them out of the sky. It has been said that the Scorched Earth creatures have been balanced with the Survival Evolved creatures in mind.

4)Almost all the new items can be used in the normal ark, however creation (and consequently repair) requires material only available on the Scorched Earth. Certain objects, like the windmill and the water/oil wells do not work due to the mechanics required to make them function as being currently exclusive to the Scorched Earth.

Archived