Taming practicality of Rock Golem

OverTheTopMC

In the Scorched Earth DLC, a variety of tameable creatures are added to the game, one of these being the Rock Elemental, more commonly referred to as the Rock Golem. Arguably, the golem is one of the most difficult tames provided in SE, second only to that of the Wyvern. A taming process similar to the Titan, the Rock Golem requires explosive damage in order to be rendered unconscious, a demanding task for any ARK player. However, with a tame this difficult, is the Rock Elemental worth taming overall?

• PvP practicality - PRO
    • The Rock Golem's use within a PvP environment is immeasurable. Due to its ability to resist most forms of damage, the beast is definitely an expensive target to defeat. Despite its slow movement speed, the golem's extremely high base health and melee damage allow the tame to double as both a tank and an offensive.
  • PvE practicality - PRO
    • Outside of a PvP scenario, the Rock Golem has its uses to the player and a tribe as a whole. Protection from the dangers of the Scorched Earth is a necessity for any player intending to advance within the game, especially from creatures such as the Deathworm. Due to its aforementioned resistance to most forms of damage, the Rock Golem is perhaps the most practical land creature to defeat the worm, and receive the spike.
  • Favored kibble - CON
    • Knocking out the Rock Golem is only half the battle. On an official Scorched Earth sever, taming a base level Golem with the easiest resource, stone, would require an obscene amount of time. Thus, kibble is, ironically, the easiest method of taming the golem. However, the preferred kibble of the Rock Golem uses Mantis Eggs, a quite difficult tame in itself.
  • Inexpensive saddle - PRO
    • The Rock Golem saddle is an extremely inexpensive saddle, especially for a creature of such versatile use and taming difficulty.

CONCLUSION: The Rock Golem is one of the most practical and versatile tames available within the DLC, and arguably ARK itself. Taming the creature is not impossible, however, for a proper caging method renders the golem susceptible to the explosive onslaught. Overall, the Rock Elemental is a difficult and arduous tame, yet the rewards are definitely worth it...coming from a guy who doesn't even have one.

did a little testing on a private server last night to see how hard they are to knock out and its a bit of a trick.  You have to get head shots which with the cannon is a pain unless you can get it stuck in a position where it doesn't move (cage i guess). Ones we were using would wobble side to side trying to get past. The rocket launchers seem to kill them more than knock them out. Also if you didn't know a head shot makes them start sprinting so thats fun.  

• 3 months later...

I'd have to say, I disagree with the OP.  You should definitely tame one and see how it is for yourself.  The HP drop from taming is enormous and they only get 50% reduced damage.  Definitely not as great a tame as you say.  The high level ones are still pretty useful, but I'd say a wyvern is a better tame.  Granted it takes 4 days to get one, but compared high level to high level, I'd say the wyvern is better.

I agree with @PlatinumCore16 I wanted to tame golem so bad got enough mantis eggs for a low level becuase I thought they were going to be awesome. Low level ones for PVE are not very useful at all. my Doed is more efficient at gathering stone and sand. If you want a golem for farming, please take the time and grind for mantis egg to get a high level 120+ golem. Stamina, attack and weight will be a heck of a lot better and more useful for your cause. 

keep in mind the OP posted this when the DLC first came out, WC since then have nerfed it......but its worth it, a  higher level is good to invest in time.  While it has been nerfed, its versatility is second to none.  It can tank things like no other.  A doed while its good for stone etc, a Rock Golem can harvest much more without the need to switch to another mount.  Then you have the defense against almost all creatures that do not have a coordinated AI attack, aka riderless dino/animal etc.

Mantis kibble is harder to get but its a more understood mechanic on how to get them to lay more eggs than it once was.  I would not say the Wyvern is better as you are comparing apples to oranges.  Wyverns of course are attack mounts, Golems are more than attack, that can harvest resources.  I don't think Wyverns are all that great imho.  They need better control for landing and similar.  They don't have saddle so you don't have armor for them.  While they can be good to have, I myself consider them to be only in the good category with speed benefits

As a person that's tamed 3 90/110/140.... sulfur tames......

not very impressed....

my rexes can kill death worms and have faster base movement speed... meaning I can kill more stuff.

doeds are easier to use for gathering and easier to get to place to unload

i love the look and once I get eggs I'll try 2 more 150's with bonuses...

but im not really expecting much....

also take into account they can NOT be forcefeed so any damage they do take is you basically have to stand around keeping it safe.

tribe mate and I went deathworm hunting, he was leading and went round corner ran into stone golum and was pulverised.. I ran in and agrroed so tribe mate could pull back (not a great time to find out you can't forcefeed... spent the next 2 hours just waiting as..

deathworm hunt was put on hold....

also im annoyed that wild stone golems retain there super health basically making any low lvl better then mine

On 1/2/2017 at 1:53 AM, ehuhoser said:

keep in mind the OP posted this when the DLC first came out, WC since then have nerfed it......but its worth it, a  higher level is good to invest in time.  While it has been nerfed, its versatility is second to none.  It can tank things like no other.  A doed while its good for stone etc, a Rock Golem can harvest much more without the need to switch to another mount.  Then you have the defense against almost all creatures that do not have a coordinated AI attack, aka riderless dino/animal etc.

Mantis kibble is harder to get but its a more understood mechanic on how to get them to lay more eggs than it once was.  I would not say the Wyvern is better as you are comparing apples to oranges.  Wyverns of course are attack mounts, Golems are more than attack, that can harvest resources.  I don't think Wyverns are all that great imho.  They need better control for landing and similar.  They don't have saddle so you don't have armor for them.  While they can be good to have, I myself consider them to be only in the good category with speed benefits

Agreed on the first point, the OP was quite some time ago.  Also agreed that it can tank a lot, but I think the nerf was too much.  90% for wilds and 50% for tames, is a pretty dramatic drop.  Perhaps 70% would be better (sorry off topic).  They are supposed to be slow siege engines of war and good gatherers as well.  I know a lot of people say doeds are better, but I'm still not sold on that.  True they are smaller and thus fit better in bases and what not, but I would almost argue that a mantis with a very good tools could out gather both of them.  You just build into weight or have a good thorny running behind you to ferry.  Or both.

Now that mantis kibble is better understood, I agree that taming them is easier than it used to be.

I disagree that comparing wyverns and golems is such a disparate comparison. They are both endgame tames in Scorched earth and both can serve in multiple categories including war beast, gatherer, and transport.  Yes they have different defined roles as far as attacking with them goes, but I still think they can be compared against each other, mostly.  I do agree that the wyvern's lack of a saddle leaves it unprotected, but with a saddle wyverns would be overpowered.  I think it balances the wyvern out nicely because you have to thoroughly consider how you're going to spec it out and carefully plan out/pay attention before/during attacks and fights.

Thoroughly agree about their ability to land.  I think it's real fun when I press the 'A' button (xbox) and my wyvern flies backwards for 20 meters before deciding to finally land.  Or just keeps turning and not finding a spot to land.  It's absurd and needs to be addressed.

The problem with golems on PvE at least is that they are no where near as useful as the effort to get a good one would imply.

I've kibble tamed 3 level 145 golems and with the exception of mining stone or sand, there's nothing they could do that another tame couldn't do more effectively.

I have one that's been leveled to 247 in damage (533.4%) and using a 106.8 armor ascendant saddle and it takes far longer to kill a deathworm than a 600% damage lightning wyvern.  It takes a little less damage during the fight, but not enough to make a difference, since I can force feed the wyvern to heal.  Even if I didn't have access to a wyvern yet, my 626% damage rex can do the same job.

To make a golem a viable gatherer, it needs a high yield on metal and other minerals.  Stone/sand isn't enough for an end-game tame.

If it isn't going to excel at gathering, then it could fulfill the role of base defense, but it needs to be able to take down wild golems effectively.

• 3 weeks later...

it really is annoying because they look great, not sure which I wanted more wryean or RG 

would love to see Force feed introduced, an increase in stats, weight bonus and/or the abilility to kill same lvl RG at very least 

but at the moment there basically cumbersome doed...

this really does need to be addressed...

i understand it made killing deathworms to easy but then do something with deathworm don't completely wreck the work you did on RG 

would think death worm would regain health when underground, would have bonus attack when first resurface maybe a spitting attack like the dilo....

also eswimm mentioned ASD were did you get would love that.... please message me if you don't want to say public....

Asc Saddle came from Christmas drops, so I don't know if it's possible to get anywhere else.  Fortunately, unlike many other asc saddle BPs, the rock golem saddle requirements are low enough that it can actually be crafted (8500 hide, 4700 fiber, 1100 ingots) if you do manage to find one.

I've kibble tamed a few more 145s and leveled them to ~250 off deathworms.  They're not that efficient a deathworm killer, but it is hands down the best place to level an elemental.  I decided to get a little adventurous and try taking on wild elementals.  I'll take back some of what I said before, because with the asc saddle, a 250 tamed elemental will crush a mid level wild elemental taking less than 600hp damage in the process.  So far I haven't tried a wild over level 120, but even then I took less than 800hp damage.

Even with the HP nerf from taming, the damage output with 50+ levels sunk into damage makes short work of the wild elementals.  I haven't tried letting the AI control my elemental during the fight, but I'm pretty confident it would still win, just probably take a little more damage during the encounter.  A giga still kills a wild elemental faster, but if you don't have access to one, the tamed elemental does a great job.

My experiences is that if you're knocking out a lower level elemental to sulfur tame, go with rockets.  Low levels have a ton of HP and unless you miss the face a lot, they'll KO before dying.  If you're downing a high level or if you plan to kibble tame, then use cannon.  A cannon KO starts at 90% TE instead of the 70s you start with for a rocket KO so it's a must for kibble tames and high level elementals gain much more torpor than they do HP, so they're more likely to die with rockets, even if you don't miss.  A 150 has about 3x the torpor of a level 5, but only about 30% more HP.

The evolution events also make a big difference.  A 145 tames to 199 during the regular 2X taming and 205 during the 3X (1.5X) events.

I need to try a catapult KO to see if that gives a starting TE above 90%.

On 1/21/2017 at 4:09 PM, eswimm said:

Asc Saddle came from Christmas drops, so I don't know if it's possible to get anywhere else.  Fortunately, unlike many other asc saddle BPs, the rock golem saddle requirements are low enough that it can actually be crafted (8500 hide, 4700 fiber, 1100 ingots) if you do manage to find one.

I've kibble tamed a few more 145s and leveled them to ~250 off deathworms.  They're not that efficient a deathworm killer, but it is hands down the best place to level an elemental.  I decided to get a little adventurous and try taking on wild elementals.  I'll take back some of what I said before, because with the asc saddle, a 250 tamed elemental will crush a mid level wild elemental taking less than 600hp damage in the process.  So far I haven't tried a wild over level 120, but even then I took less than 800hp damage.

Even with the HP nerf from taming, the damage output with 50+ levels sunk into damage makes short work of the wild elementals.  I haven't tried letting the AI control my elemental during the fight, but I'm pretty confident it would still win, just probably take a little more damage during the encounter.  A giga still kills a wild elemental faster, but if you don't have access to one, the tamed elemental does a great job.

My experiences is that if you're knocking out a lower level elemental to sulfur tame, go with rockets.  Low levels have a ton of HP and unless you miss the face a lot, they'll KO before dying.  If you're downing a high level or if you plan to kibble tame, then use cannon.  A cannon KO starts at 90% TE instead of the 70s you start with for a rocket KO so it's a must for kibble tames and high level elementals gain much more torpor than they do HP, so they're more likely to die with rockets, even if you don't miss.  A 150 has about 3x the torpor of a level 5, but only about 30% more HP.

The evolution events also make a big difference.  A 145 tames to 199 during the regular 2X taming and 205 during the 3X (1.5X) events.

I need to try a catapult KO to see if that gives a starting TE above 90%.

Great information, thank you very much.

Another handy use is to turn a bunch into stationary turrets. I haven't tried this yet but other server people have. Overload the Golem so it can't move. Put the Golem on aggressive and just like a plant X it attacks and kills everything that comes at them. I don't think Wyverns would attack but who knows. So having like 4 in a spaced row could be quite destructive if they are all high levels. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived