Scorched was released on-time, suck it up.

Shadlos

My friend I have on skype was digging around and he found something about in relation to Scorched Earth: it's actually on-time in terms of it's release. Here's the full text he said on skype:

[4:21:38 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: So I just found out something
[4:22:02 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: Theres a reason why Scorched Earth was released when it was
[4:22:15 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: And it has nothing to do with the Lawsuit
[4:22:48 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: IT WAS ANNOUNCED TO BE RELEASED IN SEPTEMBER MONTHS AGO
[4:23:18 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: It was pushed into the EA timeline because the main game got pished back
[4:23:41 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: Arks full release was supposed to be back in June
[4:24:06 AM] Straw Hat Luffy: It got pushed back to November due to additional connent being added

double checked my friend's (Frost's) findings.

He's absolutely right. We were TOLD about Scorched Earth a long while ago. So for those who say "ARK focused on this DLC rather than finishing the full game", your argument's invalid, and that's not true at all. Currently asked my friend for his sources, which I believe will be more reliable than my own. Will post that when he shoots me the full link.

Wildcard isn't out for money. It seems people like you don't actually understand how freaking hard it is, even for people with degrees, to make a damn game. I'm taking Game Design as my major in college, it's no damn joke! Plus, the game isn't alpha, it's actually more of the end of Beta, if not, completely out of it. The game is trying to do basic things right now before the major, confirmed upcoming features get added. I mean yes, content over optimization isn't how i'd do it, but the game is still good regardless. regardless. Also.

"The main game is still broke, that's why people are irritated."

Not quite.

I've heard the following reasons why "people are irritated" for all the fuss since Scorched Earth

-"Game still broke, rip this crap".

-"Paid dlc before full game release!!" (which, if they weren't held back....)

-(the likely answer for about 60-80% of it) "We need to pay to get a new map and overpowered new animals!!!!" (when you can spawn them in singleplayer without Scorched Earth....)

I mean, compare the ARK devs to a few of the devs out there. Specifically, Dondi and the developers of The Isle? THOSE idiots are toxic to their own fanbase as well as anybody and everybody who criticizes them or they feel they can take shots at. Dondi's an idiot and completely laughs off the fact he has no game degree (which is probably why he makes all these stupid decisions). Criticizes players, is hypocritical, and for Christ's sake is a general...well, cant use the word here. Regardless, compare the devs of The Isle to the Devs of ARK. Jat, Jen, and everybody else is openly friendly towards the community, supportive, joking, and friendly. There's a MASSIVE public character difference between the two groups. It's my firm belief due to this, ARK's devs aren't out for money. All of this is just people going off for some damn reason at the slightest provocation and reason. I didn't think this community was seriously this toxic, and would be this childish. I thought better of this community.

THIS is why some of us are mad:

All PC Content up thru v245 (Pelagornis, Allosaurus, Fishing, etc

v245.0
* TheCenter mega-update! (New Biomes, New Islands, New Caves & Creature Spawns, etc) DIDNT GET
* New Creature: Pelagornis! DIDNT GET
* New Creature: Allosaurus! DIDNT GET

Still havent seen a direbear on the center and that was supposed to be fixed. I dont give a rats backside if dinos are glitching through walls, if they disappear, if my bird flys off to 50/50. Since the game isnt fully released, I expect bugs but I choose to play anyway. What I do want is when I am told I am getting something that I actually get it, not get something I didnt even care about in the first place. 

You complainers should be so lucky that Ark is as well supported as it is.

Since Scorched Earth came out, three updates have already taken place.

The lawsuit, had it not been settled out of court, not only could have been halted development for years, our copies would most likely have been disabled.

Years ago, a game called Will Rock came out for the usual $40. It had major issues with not working properly, one spot you were trapped in an endless loop. A major patch, that took hours back then to download, was needed to fix it. A year later, the game was abandoned.

Then, there was the promised Duke Nukem Forever. When it finally came out after 10 years of delays, it was so dated as to be a total waste of your money.

Who remembers the expensive hyped up Sim City that required you to be connected to a server that often crashed losing your progress just to play a single player game, plus having to pay for any add ons they authorized.

How many of you were happy with the repetitive procedurally generated worlds of No Man's Sky at $60? The linear game play in Far Cry Primal also at $60, a game that can be completed in several hours.

In short;

If you don't like delayed releases so that last minute problems can be taken care of, fixes coming out on a timely bases, the additional content being added that were not part of the original concept, and the fact that Ark is much cheaper then many other titles, delete Ark and go spend $60 on one of those other so called ready to play games where charging for additional content tends to be the norm.

I dont care about other games. I dont compare any game to one I played in the last 20 years. And all they had to do was adjust the update notes and call it a day. It doesnt take that much effort to say "We are dropping things from the update due to problems/time contraints" Do you just not do your work/homework and hope your boss/teachers dont notice? And then to leave things out of the notes like "Hey, we are doubling the cost of behemoth gates, suck it up." is not well supported by any stretch of the imagination. 

I agree people need to chill out with most things. Here's the way I see it. . They could have fixed some bugs and called it a day 13(?) months ago and could have been like every other company and nickel dime us for everthing.

"Want to ride a Giga?" $2

"Want to ride a dinosaur?" Buy a loot crate and maybe get a saddle because you cant craft them! But you'll mostly get dodo eggs from them

See where I'm coming from? They're definitely a good dev team and have gave us loads of content for FREE, multiple $20 sales and supported mods. My only problem I have is Bug Fixes > Content. No point in content if it's broken. On Xbox supply drops fall under the map, you can still rag doll under the map, there's a bug with the RB that doesn't let you use your RB hotbar slots until you open your inventory(Happens like everytime you open a Dino inventory), and much much more bugs that make me not even want to play the game honestly. I can't even play the new P+ because I can't craft anything even though I clearly have the items(Like a lumber foundation, I have the planks and limestone but it says I don't have any limestone)

It's still in development yes, but like I said, bug fixes should be #1 priority.

1 hour ago, DinoMinions said:

THIS is why some of us are mad:

All PC Content up thru v245 (Pelagornis, Allosaurus, Fishing, etc

v245.0
* TheCenter mega-update! (New Biomes, New Islands, New Caves & Creature Spawns, etc) DIDNT GET
* New Creature: Pelagornis! DIDNT GET
* New Creature: Allosaurus! DIDNT GET

Still havent seen a direbear on the center and that was supposed to be fixed. I dont give a rats backside if dinos are glitching through walls, if they disappear, if my bird flys off to 50/50. Since the game isnt fully released, I expect bugs but I choose to play anyway. What I do want is when I am told I am getting something that I actually get it, not get something I didnt even care about in the first place. 

Direbears spawn in the redwood region. My guild and I have no trouble finding them. Pelagornis and Allosaurus are in too. If you're on XB1 they're updating the center slowly, Everything on console has to go through cert first, which can take time.

Oh well if your friend named Straw Hat Luffy says its true it must be.  Even though that doesnt negate the fact they took away from what was supposed to be in the core game and made it a paid DLC.

Ok here we go looks like Oct 1 2015 is when Jesse stated ...

YouTube™ Video: ARK: Survival Evolved Dev Q&A Stream 
Views: 100,985
ARK: Survival Evolved Dev Q&A Stream w/ Sl1pg8r! FYI: This video's audio sync is a little off. Also, there's some audio echo on the Dev team's end unfortunately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3n7cah/ark_survival_evolved_dev_qa_stream/

Any new biomes planned?
Probably done with biomes "for this part of the game". The ARK island would be too tight with more biomes. Perhaps more with expansions. New stuff is coming to the map such as bosses and sub-areas.

So when did early access start? Looks like June 2015? Oct is after june so it would seem to me they knew they WERE going to be making this DLC FROM THE START. And have since been dropping hints about making DLC. So Of course they were going to say theres no more room for the desert biome, which they stated would be going in at the very beginning as part of the CORE GAME, not paid DLC.  PROOF ... https://i.imgur.com/orZRTAU.png

It gets better. So looks like redwood being the last biome addition to the island was what June this year 2016:

v243.0
* New Creature: Titanosaurus!
* New Item: Gas Mask!
* New Item: Herbivore "TastyCakes"
* New Item: Chain Bola Ammo for Ballista Turret!
* New Structure: Retractable Rope Ladders!
* New Structure: Tree Sap Taps!
* New Structures: Wood and Metal Tree Platforms!
* New Mechanic: Custom Tripwire Alarm Notifications via SurviveTheArk.com (E-mail and Forum). Optionally Tribes can post to arbritrary URL, if they have a custom system! Now if someone's raiding your base, you can get on top of it! Note: you need to be in a Tribe (even a Tribe of one by yourself for this feature to be utilized!
* Biome Update: Snow Extension & New Redwood Forests (this is a major environmental overhaul!)

PRETTY SURE that was added after they stated the island was full wasnt it?

4 minutes ago, GDP said:

Oh well if your friend named Straw Hat Luffy says its true it must be.  Even though that doesnt negate the fact they took away from what was supposed to be in the core game and made it a paid DLC.

ARK: Survival Evolved Dev Q&A Stream w/ Sl1pg8r! FYI: This video's audio sync is a little off. Also, there's some audio echo on the Dev team's end unfortunately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3n7cah/ark_survival_evolved_dev_qa_stream/

Any new biomes planned?
Probably done with biomes "for this part of the game". The ARK island would be too tight with more biomes. Perhaps more with expansions. New stuff is coming to the map such as bosses and sub-areas.

So when did early access start? Looks like June 2015? Oct is after june so it would seem to me they knew they WERE going to be making this DLC FROM THE START. And have since been dropping hints about making DLC. So Of course they were going to say theres no more room for the desert biome, which they stated would be going in at the very beginning as part of the CORE GAME, not paid DLC.  PROOF ... https://i.imgur.com/orZRTAU.png

It gets better. So looks like redwood being the last biome addition to the island was what June this year 2016:

v243.0
* New Mechanic: Custom Tripwire Alarm Notifications via SurviveTheArk.com (E-mail and Forum). Optionally Tribes can post to arbritrary URL, if they have a custom system! Now if someone's raiding your base, you can get on top of it! Note: you need to be in a Tribe (even a Tribe of one by yourself for this feature to be utilized!
* Biome Update: Snow Extension & New Redwood Forests (this is a major environmental overhaul!)

Development plans change ALL the time. It's not like they charged us $60 for a base game, and then added in content for another $50(season pass on every single AAA game). I honestly don't know what people are complaining about. There is so much to do in just the base game alone, and for (in some cases) half the cost of many other games. But go ahead, continue your soapbox drama. It will literally change nothing. Heck, in a month most of you will have either ponied up the $20 for the expansion, or you'll sod off. 

1 hour ago, GDP said:

Any new biomes planned?

v243.0

But they didn't add in the red wood biome, they completely over writen an area for the red wood biome, or did you forget people had to leave the center island or get wiped, I have messed around on the dev kit and the map is at max capacity, extending the map in any direction causes several issues that just cannot be fixed so yes the island is full and cannot add anymore biomes.

It's a function of prioritization. The normal progression is
1) Get base engine working to point of playability (done)
2) Release as much of core features as necessary to expose almost all game engine and balance bugs (in progress for past year.)

1 and 2 are serial and are usually interpreted as Alpha

3a) Begin iterating over base bugs and balance
3b) Complete asset and feature implementation, typically minor features that don't impact engine or balance

3a and 3b are in parallel and generally interpreted as Beta. At some level WC claims to be in 3a/b but they're still doing (2), adding core features. 

At some point 3a and 3b are relatively arbitrarily viewed as 'done' and the game releases. I say arbitrarily because there will always be bugs and always be minor new features.

The basic issue with WCs prioritization is that the base game remains stuck in step 2 for over a year. They keep coming up with new random things to add. That's great in the sense of making an even better game but its bad in the sense that 3a is long long over due.

Yes they release fixes but those are predominately fixes for items recently added, the fixes to basic game engine bugs (falling through earth, glitching through walls, rudimentary Dino pathing AI) were originally slated for September of 2015 (per July 2015 patch notes).

I have no issue with them making DLC, but they should have shifted at least one person doing modeling and asset creation from the DLC to the base game so that the base game finished first. There's no good excuse for the DLC to have all of it's dino's in 'polished' form when the base game is still missing many which is a blocker for the final bug smash transition.

They desperately need to stop the content churn in the base game and get on with bug smashing. The bugs forum on steam now only goes back one month and is at 800+ posts because every tweak at X causes weird problems at Y & Z.

Lastly by releasing the DLC before adding core features they've increased their support overhead or limited their options. They either have to port certain fixes to all DLC or just decide to live with the current state. Look at prim+, added DLC that doesn't impact prim+ game play at all and yet it *added* to the long list of prim+ bugs.

In short, the issue is about the long term health of Ark and WC, not some short term blip on Steam charts.

7 hours ago, Shadlos said:

*snip*

I'll be interested to see these sources, but the fact that the DLC was announced ahead of time doesn't somehow detract from the questionable nature of the decision to begin developing it to begin with.

I also wouldn't be surprised if when we were "told about it months in advance," it wasn't made explicitly clear that it would be a chunk of premium content.

6 hours ago, Shadlos said:

*snip* (difficulty of development, comparatively worse Isle devs)

Red-herring if I ever saw one.

The actual difficulty of their job is irrelevant to the core issue. Do people give the devs a lot more flak than they should? Yes. That doesn't make Wildcard incapable of wrongdoing, and it certainly has no bearing on the fact that Scorched Earth still equates to a diversion of resources from the main game.

Your accusation that the dev team for The Isle is a bunch of asshats also has nothing to do with the issues at hand. The conduct of another dev team does nothing to excuse the conduct of this dev team. 

What you have to realize is that, planned or not, Scorched Earth still constitutes questionable business practices at best... and what is most concerning is that Wildcard didn't seem to see it as potentially questionable.

All they needed to do to avoid this sort of backlash was release enough information surrounding the DLC to dispel the sorts of rumors that were bound to spawn.

9 hours ago, Tyranus said:

Direbears spawn in the redwood region. My guild and I have no trouble finding them. Pelagornis and Allosaurus are in too. If you're on XB1 they're updating the center slowly, Everything on console has to go through cert first, which can take time.

No redwoods on the center/allosaurus/pelagornis. We were supposed to get that on the 1st. The direbears disappeared over a month ago and there was supposed to be a fix for them on this update. As for everyone else quoting a dev who is married to their cousins ex husbands babysitters dad, I read this forum, I read the updates and I wait patiently for them. I didnt say a peep when it was delayed however long it was. I just planned and made platforms and started kibble for the new dinos and nothing happened. Thats all I am saying. Im sure they work hard, its a fun game. I even payed for SE. They could release a new map per month and I would pay for it but I would like to see the update list be correct and if there is a delay I would like to know. Just a little customer service is all. 

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/343785574519252039/

Should answer a few questions on Scorched Earth. Game development isn't perfect. I'll leave it as that. This is my friend's source of his information.

Once again, i'm a bit ashamed of this player community. I didn't expect it to be this toxic. Please read the link.

Archived