Scorched Earth Discoveries Mega Thread

Deadpool00012

Tamed Jerboas flee if put on passive and your other pets get attacked (or you) unless they're on your shoulder.

I had to flee to our base when being attacked by a Terrorbird (a.k.a. jerk#3) yesterday and our pets made short work of it. Then I had to go and round up the Jerboas which had scattered in all directions (one had jumped down into the water) and pick up the vultures that had helped defend our base.

On 2016-09-05 at 10:36 AM, Krazyfan1 said:

Mantises are unable to go underwater at all, even when riding them.

Tamed Vultures don't attack things, even if you whistle or do attack my target.

there are homing rockets for the rpg launcher, you need to right click and hold the curser over your target for a while, and then it homes in when you fire.

We have our vultures put on neutral and they help out whenever we need it. It's a pain putting them back afterwards though. They're a bit slow, maybe that's why they haven't attacked when you've whistled?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 5, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Krazyfan1 said:

there are homing rockets for the rpg launcher, you need to right click and hold the curser over your target for a while, and then it homes in when you fire.

My vultures have attached other players. They were set to aggressive and following us into battle

Mantises are by far the tip top melee/ranged melee I have been able to find. They do drop organic Polymer, but you need to be able to make preserving salts with Sulfer (Collected from Wyverns [Dead] and Rock Golems [dead]) I have not been able to find sulfer deposits as of yet. Also, Manti can collect silk and fiber for you.

Wyverns are just bonkers in terms of carry weight, sheer firepower, and attack strength. Be very aware that using them as tamed creatures can kill your other pets. I made the mistake with my Fire Wyvern and killed a couple of my pets. I still have not figured out how to get the Wyvern to carry dinos, so I ported a Quetz over. If you are building Wyvern VS Wyvern I recommend the Lightning Wyvern in terms of sheer damage. Poison is more of a support class if anything, but the AOE is helpful for large groups of smaller dinos. Fire is fire, and you dont have to do much to kill just about anything as long as it isnt another wyvern.

I am currently holed up in the northern canyon with the waterfalls and looking to head north into the desert to the nearest water vein to begin construction of the Aviary and main base after I gather plenty of supplies.

The Moth is useful for grounding creatures that use stamina for flight. Argentavis have been a cinch to tame once I have them knocked down with the Moth.

Other than that, looking for salt make sure you check in the desert and along the mesas running north and south near the center of the map.

I found a special drop somewhere randomly, but I dont have a clue where it was. Check the outer desert corners for it. It was glowing red.

17 minutes ago, Dimensional said:

Mantises are by far the tip top melee/ranged melee I have been able to find. They do drop organic Polymer, but you need to be able to make preserving salts with Sulfer (Collected from Wyverns [Dead] and Rock Golems [dead]) I have not been able to find sulfer deposits as of yet. Also, Manti can collect silk and fiber for you.

Wyverns are just bonkers in terms of carry weight, sheer firepower, and attack strength. Be very aware that using them as tamed creatures can kill your other pets. I made the mistake with my Fire Wyvern and killed a couple of my pets. I still have not figured out how to get the Wyvern to carry dinos, so I ported a Quetz over. If you are building Wyvern VS Wyvern I recommend the Lightning Wyvern in terms of sheer damage. Poison is more of a support class if anything, but the AOE is helpful for large groups of smaller dinos. Fire is fire, and you dont have to do much to kill just about anything as long as it isnt another wyvern.

I am currently holed up in the northern canyon with the waterfalls and looking to head north into the desert to the nearest water vein to begin construction of the Aviary and main base after I gather plenty of supplies.

The Moth is useful for grounding creatures that use stamina for flight. Argentavis have been a cinch to tame once I have them knocked down with the Moth.

Other than that, looking for salt make sure you check in the desert and along the mesas running north and south near the center of the map.

I found a special drop somewhere randomly, but I dont have a clue where it was. Check the outer desert corners for it. It was glowing red.

Found sulpher rocks on mountain behind blue ob.  Looks like pure metal but different shape and smaller. Got 300 with pick from that one deposit.  

28 minutes ago, Hornedfrog85 said:

Anyway to kill a golem without rockets?  Seems like a serious endever for matel!

Nope, not even with a Wyvern, lord knows I have tried everything at this point to kill them aside from 'Nades or Rockets. I typically just run from them at this point partially because I have not advanced my supplies and tech far enough to make them at this point. I spent way to much time capturing all of the new dinos I could and attempting to build an outpost.

Imagine if you will, scrawny me trying to outrun that thing with my only Thorny dragon... It didn't end well.

On 2016-09-05 at 10:36 AM, Krazyfan1 said:

2 hours ago, CheapDatezz said:

My vultures have attached other players. They were set to aggressive and following us into battle

I just want to add something to this. My tribemate confirmed that "Attack My Target" doesn't work on the vultures. So far it seems "Passive", "Aggressive" and "Neutral" works though.

Oh, and if you're like us (all of us started over with new characters so I'm level 23 atm), then tame vultures! They're effective bodyguards against anything that isn't too big, just like Dimos in vanilla ARK.

1 hour ago, Dimensional said:

Nope, not even with a Wyvern, lord knows I have tried everything at this point to kill them aside from 'Nades or Rockets. I typically just run from them at this point partially because I have not advanced my supplies and tech far enough to make them at this point. I spent way to much time capturing all of the new dinos I could and attempting to build an outpost.

Imagine if you will, scrawny me trying to outrun that thing with my only Thorny dragon... It didn't end well.

Yeh we have a 108 camped outside our Base tryed drowning one but no lick

I have died more and lost more dino's in the last few days than I have in the last year of playing on the island/center. And i'm loving it!

Someone mentioned the chain saw which is AMAZING for getting wood is this tree sparse map! Get your thorny dragon with you to haul the wood and your set. Now the fire arrows OMG are they amazing. Get accurate with the xbow and you can down pretty much anything other than a rex in one hit (sub level 80ish). If it does live a single poke with a pike will finish it off as it runs at you. 

The caves have new item skins in the artifact container along with the artifact. You can stock pile these by just taking the skin and toss the artifact over and over. So far i've gotten the pike skin (little raptor skull on the end) from the midlands 3 cave down in the trench. Not to hard to solo this cave. you can shoot most of the stuff from above and cause it to fall where you can finish it off. Bring lots of water though dehydration is nutty near the end even with desert gear. 

The cave in the south desert is MUCH harder. Bring lots of gear, water and grappling hooks. There is a jumping path near the end and its nerve wracking. Both caves will respawn mobs at the start when you get near the end so you have to fight in and back out again. The skin from the south cave is a sword skin and makes it look like the sword from the video. Not sure what is in the 3rd cave. Haven't done that one yet.

Argents are jerks.

If your building near any of the mountains get a roof over your dinos to cut down on the chance an argent will dive bomb them. They are bastards.  

Adobe ceiling gates/frame are 4x4 and take up less materials than 4 ceiling tiles. 

Artifact glow can been seen for quite a ways in a sand storm not sure about regular fire or lights. (light house!)

Kobyov mentioned the tunnel on the back wall of the red obby with the crystal and obsidian. There is also quite a bit of sulfur in there as well. Generally there is almost no dino's inside unless someone has kited one in. 

Oil nodes seem to all be in the badlands around the green obby. Feel free to leave them unlocked on PvE since there is a limited number of nodes and they get oil at a crazy rate. (15 slot inventory seem to get 1 oil every 5 seconds or so)

Speaking of oil rigs if you get extras in drops place and destroy for easy resources early on, same with water wells. 

Some of the drops seem to have a gold ring around them in SE i have not seen before. They tend to have more/better loot than regular ones. 

I will say that life seems much easier once you get a decent rex. I feel like a lot of the content is gated behind one in SE. Easy prime, cementing paste and protection while harvesting resources is great. I am still terrified of stepping on a rock golem and losing it. 

1 hour ago, TotallyUncool said:

I just want to add something to this. My tribemate confirmed that "Attack My Target" doesn't work on the vultures. So far it seems "Passive", "Aggressive" and "Neutral" works though.

Oh, and if you're like us (all of us started over with new characters so I'm level 23 atm), then tame vultures! They're effective bodyguards against anything that isn't too big, just like Dimos in vanilla ARK.

what about "Attack THIS target?

27 minutes ago, Multivitamin said:

I will say that life seems much easier once you get a decent rex. I feel like a lot of the content is gated behind one in SE. Easy prime, cementing paste and protection while harvesting resources is great. I am still terrified of stepping on a rock golem and losing it. 

Wait.  Where are you getting your cementing paste?  

I've only seen two rexes on the whole freaking map, and both of them are lower than 35.  :-(

54 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

I've only seen two rexes on the whole freaking map, and both of them are lower than 35.  :-(

We use the rex to kill tons of bugs/scorpions/centipedes/mantas and either eat them or jump off and CHAINSAW! Then grind it up into paste.

Down south east of the giant spikes (NE of the cave) there are quite a few rexes. We pulled it out of the area and knocked it out. The proceded to farm the other rexes and Parcers for prime (fire arrows FTW)

3 hours ago, Scrysis said:

Airlift an Saber out to the dunes - I usually start in a corner and hunt up the boundary. Mantis and Scorps are your targets, chitin and organic polymer for days. The centipedes aren't worth the fight - getting your armour broken out there means an instant retreat or death to heat. There's oasis with water veins about the middle of the south and east edges that make great farming bases if you'd rather the safety of something closer

If it's too early for you for that, just massacre the jug bugs - you can still drink and grab oil from their corpses

16 minutes ago, kobyov said:

Airlift an Saber out to the dunes - I usually start in a corner and hunt up the boundary. Mantis and Scorps are your targets, chitin and organic polymer for days. The centipedes aren't worth the fight - getting your armour broken out there means an instant retreat or death to heat. There's oasis with water veins about the middle of the south and east edges that make great farming bases if you'd rather the safety of something closer

If it's too early for you for that, just massacre the jug bugs - you can still drink and grab oil from their corpses

I'll have to try that.  I'll have to snag a higher level kitty first though.

23 minutes ago, kobyov said:

Yep - mantis out in deserts gives more chitin than anything else in game, also organic polymer 

Archived